• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

xaosslug

I really can't get over how lazy the writing has been to the point where they just straight up turned the unsullied into weak, under-numbered pushovers as opposed to finding a creative way to threaten Dany's rule.

it's Daenerys' lax rule that's turned them into weak-sauce, as exemplified by Grey Worm falling in wuv, etc. It's not lazy writing, but a device to show how long a ways Daenerys has to go if she wants the Iron Throne. She needs to get her shit together. If it wasn't for her dragon she would be dead. That's a mess.

I really can't get over how lazy the writing has been to the point where they just straight up turned the unsullied into weak, under-numbered pushovers as opposed to finding a creative way to threaten Dany's rule.

Eh, Unsullied are soldiers. They're meant to be meat on the battlefield and trained with shields and spears, not deal with insurrections by knife wielding thugs in back alleyways. They're not a police force and Mereen is a huge city so they're no doubt spread thin. Don't really see how that's "lazy" writing.

iNvid02

Did Dany summon the Dragon with her mind or the dragon sensed her fear, a connection between them?

he was in the area and thought he'd drop by. shit escalated pretty quick after that though

i think it sensed she was in danger and was coming anyway, her little summon thing felt like it was incomplete before we heard DRAGON SHRIEK

Xamdou

I watched the latest ep on HBO GO, and after the credits it had commentary from the two main director's about the episode insights. Are these considered spoilers?

Vashetti

Banned
I thought it was very sweet that she took Missandei's hand in what she assumed to be her last moments.

Missandei also put herself before Dany multiple times in the centre of the pit to protect her.

Well you're definitely correct in that Stannis has more reason to believe her, but we the audience don't. I just don't trust her at all. Not her motives, intentions or the power that's backing her.

I think that Melly is completely sincere in her devotion but I think the god she serves is seriously fucked and probably is just as dangerous as the White Walkers. The Lord of Light probably is just working against the Walkers because he wants to see the world engulfed in flame rather than frozen.

16BitNova

He heard daddy Jorah was back.

Lol

But, yeah, Targaryens and their Dragons have a strong connection. And out of the 3 dragons, Drogon has the strongest connection with Dany. So I'm assuming he sensed her danger.

Also, I'm starting to think that some people consider a season of GoT to be shitty if there are no major deaths. Some viewers have been spoiled thinking that this show is known for its surprising deaths. This is why we can't have nice things.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
It looked like that big fiery bastard straight up teleported himself into the area.

Go look at that entrance again, it looks like he flew out of a ball of fire. That's some damn convenient shit if it's true. Being able to summon 3 dragons on some Final Fantasy shit would make Dany ridiculously OP.

And these fuckers aren't even half as big as they can get potentially... jesus.

Five

Banned
Everyone agrees that Ser Davos is the best character right?

Margaery-tyrell-game-of-thrones-pity1.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Melisandre is still super hot yo.

No. Jon Snow. Hes a Stark

That's true, Jon is seemingly incorruptible. He's a truly great man.

He's one of the nicest characters, but a fool who should've left his fake king ages ago.

Yeah his blind devotion has been foolish, but I think this will be the straw that breaks the camel's back. No way he can still believe in Stannis. Though I'm not sure what he can really do about it besides abandoning him.

nib95

Banned

A lifetime of the most intense training, man parts chopped off and all, and they're still no better than random rich masters donning face masks.

iNvid02

the actress playing shireen pulled off that scene well, it was brief but oh so brutal.

she really was on fire ͡o ͜ʖ ͡o)

Chaos17

1. Dany kinda dumped everyone by flying away on her dragon, I hope she won't forget to free the others 2 dragons. Also, poor Tyrion, I wanted him to advice her more.

2. Stannis has officialy 100% joined the dark side, I though there wa some hope in him since he aware of the white walkers and do fear them compared to others nobles.

3.Jhon was lucky to have not left outside and froze to death.

4. I like the ruler of Dorme because he tired of bloodshed and didn't wanted to kill Marcella to make the Lannisters suffer. That guy got my respect for now.

Like 4 eps ago 'you are my daughter'

2 eps ago 'fuck off mel'

Davos 'stannis is a good man'

This episode.. 'lets throw all that character building away for ayyy lmao shock value.'

This wasn't really shock value, this was more dramatic irony.

The audience knew what was coming, but Davos doesn't and this is going to effect him more than any character.

Ferrio

Banned
Do you think that the Dorne storyline is finished for this season?
Nothing happened there in the whole season.

Ya I don't think we're going to see much more of dorne. Think the whole point of that clusterfuck was to somehow get Myrcella and her lover back to King's landing. Though there's really not much of a small council left...

A lifetime of the most intense training, man parts chopped off and all, and they're still no better than random rich masters donning face masks.
It's just one of the many reasons this season is the weakest so far. Even important characters make things completely out of character or just change thier minds in 2 seconds. The important things are rushed and yet they find time to put useless boring scenes... unfocused is the right word here.
Still, this episode is one of the strongest of SE 5 (that says it all).

Do you think that the Dorne storyline is finished for this season?
Nothing happened there in the whole season.

We'll probably get some scenes that set up the Dorne plot for season 6. Seems like Dorne this season was just used to introduce characters that will become important later, and also give an excuse to get Jaime out of King's Landing.

Story was awesome, but it seemed like the on-screen result wasn't as good. Something was off. The mediocre 3D effects that were way overused? Emilia Clarke's acting? Plus, a stretch even by GoT standards (guys are throwing spears at Drogon left and right, then suddenly time pauses while she takes a spear out of it, pets it and gets on it?)

Speaking of Drogon: how old is he supposed to be now? I was thinking he looked small, so, out of curiosity, I searched about his full grown size and found a few articles on this:

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/04/17/george-r-r-martins-book-excerpt-dragons

I know it has to follow the books but that's what I want to see flying down into that wanna-be Coliseum; flame throw like 50 dudes at once.

Meowster

Aren't the Unsullied only really trained for war, grand scale battles, sieging, that sort of thing? It doesn't seem too shocking that they can't react well to guerrilla tactics.

Everybody's talking about Shireen but early on in the episode, Stannis had his own camp guards chained up and then hanged for letting Ramsay's dudes through. Foreshadowing.

Foreshadowing what?

Aren't the Unsullied only really trained for war, grand scale battles, sieging, that sort of thing? It doesn't seem too shocking that they can't react well to guerrilla tactics.

At every task this season they have been pretty inept at dealing with rich people with daggers. Like, where the fuck were all the guards making sure nobody brought weapons in, or simply doing simple lookouts for those dudes with golden masks?

Fucking TSA could have done a better job.

Yes. And the guerillas aren't just a bunch of old masters but likely a good portion of the city that is upset at the change of order and want to return to the old ways which would likely include a range of fighting experiences.

nib95

Banned

Not really. They spend most of their time practising general close quarters combat. Guy comes at you with a sword, you respond with your own weapon. It's what they've had to prepare for, probably hundreds of thousands of times, day in day out their entire lives, and yet, on screen it all just seemed like bollocks.

Don't even get me started on Barriston Selmy's death. One of the greatest Warriors of all history, could cut down 5 kings guard like butter and all the rest, killed in the most sombre way. D&D basically do not value lore or past context, they do whatever needs to be done, only to propel their own version of events, irrespective of it's narrative legitimacy.

Chaos17

Everybody's talking about Shireen but early on in the episode, Stannis had his own camp guards chained up and then hanged for letting Ramsay's dudes through. Foreshadowing.

Let's say that Shireen was the last hope to not put Stannis into 100% assholes group of Game of Thrones.

I think they're lacking a general who lead them during the fights.
All Daenrys is able to say to them "kill them all" and her advisors "protect the queen!"
They're footmen not tactician or general. That's why you need leaders like Sir Davos or Bariston in those situation.
To lead men.

Plus, a stretch even by GoT standards (guys are throwing spears at Drogon left and right, then suddenly time pauses while she takes a spear out of it, pets it and gets on it?

They do this all the time and it always drives me a little nuts. They did it last year during the battle at Castle Black where time just kind of stops and Jon Snow and Ygritte have their little moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom