• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that Stannis had much admiration from myself, but after such weak willed antics to correct for his own mistakes, I hope he suffers. It was a natural progression for his character to be sure though. I want him to sink to whatever lows remain, to explore the costs, and for him to get within a hairs breadth, before it is swept from his cold grasp.

Also, did Khlaeesi get fobbed off with second rate Unsullied or something? Most seem to be suffering from Storm Trooper syndrome.

I really hope that this guy ends up sitting on the Iron throne, that would be amazing.

Just finish his rowing when everything blows over and everyone is dead and claim that shit for the one true king, Gendry.

I kept thinking they should of at least had Gendry in the crown, throwing shit at the naked Septon in the street.

Carbonox

Not that Stannis had much admiration from myself, but after such weak willed antics to correct for his own mistakes, I hope he suffers. It was a natural progression for his character to be sure though. I want him to sink to whatever lows remain, to explore the costs, and for him to get within a hairs breadth, before it is swept from his cold grasp.

Also, did Khlaeesi get fobbed off with second rate Unsullied or something? Most seem to be suffering from Storm Trooper syndrome.

Dany has a LOOOOONG way to go before she has a menacing and powerful army capable of large scale battles, dragons or no dragons. I've found it quite comical how shit her warriors are this season especially.

funkypie

Banned
Oh stannis you were the mother fucker, Now you've turned into desperate Dan. Sacrificing people to that red bitch hasn't brought him anything, I highly doubt baking your daughter will do much to, besides label you mad.

From hero to zero in 60 seconds.

And those unsullied need to learn to use a sword, those spears seem to suck in close quarter city fighting, do they think they are an extension of the penis they once had?

Dany has a LOOOOONG way to go before she has a menacing and powerful army capable of large scale battles, dragons or no dragons. I've found it quite comical how shit her warriors are this season especially.

That's the thing that gripes me though. It might be no world conquering force just yet, but she acquired a utterly loyal & ready made army. Surely there would be plenty of captains within the arena to order the other Unsullied about? They shouldn't be relying on Daario to organise them!

Margaery would never let Renly bend the knee. She wouldn't settle for wife of hand when her ambition have always been queen .She's after all currently at her third king.

That is true and Lorris was the one who put that idea in his head in the first place. Damn Tyrels.

That's the thing that gripes me though. It might be no world conquering force just yet, but she acquired a utterly loyal & ready made army. Surely there would be plenty of captains within the arena to order the other Unsullied about? They shouldn't be relying on Daario to organise them!

Well he was a commander for the Second Suns(What ever happened to them anyway?).

Daario is like the evil devil on Dany's sholder. He's constantly giving her shitty advise. She lusts him. I think Daario will be an arc Danny will have to close by the end if she wants to be a great ruler. Tyrion gave Daario some looks during his rant at the fights.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck You, Stannis, fuck you to hell. Seriously rooting for even the Boltons to wreck you now

Carbonox

Fuck Hizdahr, guy stunk the moment he first appeared. I wouldn't even be surprised if his "death" was a ruse. Those Harpies are sneaky fucks and I still maintain he was in with them.

Edit: Also, was I seeing things or was his death too clean, as in no blood or very little of it compared to everyone else? Might be reaching a bit here and forgetting what I saw clearly. :p

Daario is like the evil devil on Dany's sholder. He's constantly giving her shitty advise. She lusts him. I think Daario will be an arc Danny will have to close by the end if she wants to be a great ruler. Tyrion gave Daario some looks during his rant at the fights.

I imagine any decent adviser would tell her that her keeping him around her new husband is a bad idea. Daario has what he wants; I never thought he would be much help for ruling unless the small council needs a new master of cock.

Mister Pink

Neo Member
Not sure if anyone else has asked this: But I sort of got the impression that the red haired witch-woman was the one that set fire to the tents with her fire-kenesis at the beginning of the episode.
It would make sense because she has the ability to do it. But also Stannis said that he wouldn't kill his own daughter in the previous episode. Now after his camp has been burned to the ground he finally looked at killing her as being a viable solution.

I'm just saying, very convenient tent fires start next to conniving fire witch.

Nooooooo.

I would have rather seen Stannis die while I could still firmly support him.

But not this shit. Even the crazy mother who despised her kid came to her senses.

Chopper

Nice post from the unsullied thread...

Whew. That was an episode...

I've never liked the character of Stannis so much as I was fascinated by him. He is like... the starkest definition of Lawful Neutral there is, a man who is so bound up in honor and what is Right by Law that he will go to any length to enforce it. The thing is... I don't think he even wants to be king, not really. He just thinks he HAS to be king. Not just because it's his by succession but because he's been so twisted around this idea that only he can protect the realm from the terrors Melissandre keeps warning him about.

Him sacrificing his daughter is completely tragic but also the logical course of his arc because he's essentially giving up all his humanity at this point because he feels like he has no other option. In his eyes, giving up now is damning the entire world and he was forced in a situation where the only option left open to him was the most horrible one. He took it because he had to, but it's obviously left him broken.

I don't want Stannis to die. I want to see him deal with the ramifications of what he's done. I want him to win Winterfell and then get stuck there for the long winter and stew a bit and see him question if it was worth it the whole time.

Loved the ending to the episode haha.

I thought it was kind of interesting that Stannis' wife in the end (who had seemed like a more true believer than Stannis at times) caved but he went through with it.

Jobbs

Banned
Wasn't impressed with this episode... The fight scenes in the last episode were good, but in episode 9 we're back to high school play level choreography. The fights were pretty hilarious. I'm also having trouble understanding how Unsullied went from being the most trained and dedicated fighting force on the face of the earth to being essentially ineffectual fodder.

The dragon also seemed pretty shitty. It had trouble killing a few thugs. Not sure how you use that to rule the world.

I feel like the show at once wants to be taken deadly serious (burning little girls at the stake as they cry for help) at the same time as it's deadly ridiculous and awful (pure comedy sand snakes characters and dialogue, pure comedy action scenes in arenas and people flying on dragons). The episode didn't feel epic as it perhaps was meant to, it just felt completely silly.

I've watched every season of this show but I'm starting to not care anymore.

purg3

slept with Malkin
he was referring to the gambling guy killing another person because arya didn't take him out

And you know he definitely knows what she's up to. As much as her arc is starting to drag, I'm curious to see where this goes now.

It's too much of a coincidence that the first target she's given is right on the docks. Right where ships come in...I'm thinking it's a test.

Still team Stannis. Dude had to make the hard choice after Ramsay fucked his food supply up. Now the most interesting thing would be if Melisandre actually fails to deliver Winterfell. Then again it would be delicious irony if Ramsay sealed his own doom by forcing Stannis to use dat shadow magic. Stannis already killed his friggin brother when he had the chance to join forces with him. Shireens life is not going to go over the fate of his army.

Davos not gon be happy about this though.

Disgraced

It's a good post, but I thought this was the unsullied thread?
This is the Unsullied thread.
Not sure if anyone else has asked this: But I sort of got the impression that the red haired witch-woman was the one that set fire to the tents with her fire-kenesis at the beginning of the episode.
It would make sense because she has the ability to do it. But also Stannis said that he wouldn't kill his own daughter in the previous episode. Now after his camp has been burned to the ground he finally looked at killing her as being a viable solution.

I'm just saying, very convenient tent fires start next to conniving fire witch.
Ramsay and his spec operatives burned it.

wildfire

Banned
What's the endgame of Arya's story arc if she follows through with her training and forgets her past to become nobody? Her list and path would be kinda pointless IMO. I said this earlier, but its' clear she doesn't want to completely let go. Evidenced by her hiding sting.

Arya's arc is weird if we follow this train of thought. On one hand I'm supposed to believe this is an allegory to the greater theme that you can't hold onto petty grudges because there are bigger concerns.

My trouble with this possibility is that Arya's family was murdered and GRRM has stated he writes his books organically. He doesn't plan an endgame for individual characters and makes up his mind on what path they take at the very same moment he is doing his first draft.

The first case is hardly petty and is deserving of holding onto. The second runs counter-intuitively to the idea he could plan Arya's arc as an allegory.

nahlakhai

Unsullied were just basically outnumbered, but the way they portrayed it made them seem like incompetent warriors. I get that as an audience we don't need to be spoon fed everything, but she literally flew away in the middle of chaos leaving the only people who have any meaning to her life there. So cheesy.

Best scenes of the episode were the Baratheon ones.

Salmonax

Gendry-GOT.jpg

So funny. What other characters are MIA (other than the whole Bran crew, who we know they're intentionally not addressing at all)? It's pretty ridiculous how long they've gone without checking in with Varys, for instance.

Wasn't impressed with this episode... The fight scenes in the last episode were good, but in episode 9 we're back to high school play level choreography. The fights were pretty hilarious. I'm also having trouble understanding how Unsullied went from being the most trained and dedicated fighting force on the face of the earth to being essentially ineffectual fodder.

The dragon also seemed pretty shitty. It had trouble killing a few thugs. Not sure how you use that to rule the world.

I feel like the show at once wants to be taken deadly serious (burning little girls at the stake as they cry for help) at the same time as it's deadly ridiculous and awful (pure comedy sand snakes characters and dialogue, pure comedy action scenes in arenas and people flying on dragons). The episode didn't feel epic as it perhaps was meant to, it just felt completely silly.

I still care, I am just frustrated with the wasting so much time doing nothing episodes, where all characters were on an odyssey to no where this year, and the quality of almost everything has been so bad this year.

So funny. What other characters are MIA (other than the whole Bran crew, who we know they're intentionally not addressing at all)? It's pretty ridiculous how long they've gone without checking in with Varys, for instance.

Walder Frey and the Greyjoys are probably the biggest ones considering the first one is responsible for arguably the biggest moment in the series thus far (but then again I don't know what they could do with him before Arya/Sansa/LF go after him) and the Greyjoys are still in war with Lannisters/Boltons.

Also Catelyns brother is still held hostage by Frey and her uncle is still on the loose somewhere. And there is Benjen Stark who might still be alive I guess.

Lucc

Unsullied were just basically outnumbered, but the way they portrayed it made them seem like incompetent warriors. I get that as an audience we don't need to be spoon fed everything, but she literally flew away in the middle of chaos leaving the only people who have any meaning to her life there. So cheesy.

I don't think it was her leaving them but she was rather trying to save Drogon. Don't think the Dragon would have left without her. And if he would have stayed longer he would have been overwhelmed by the spears that were thrown at him.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I'm pissed we haven't seen more Thoros and Beric.

Sande

Young Stannis must have been a bad ass. Stupid Renly if he only bent the knee Stannis would have been King, Renly would have been hand the Lanisters would have been dead and Ned Stark would still be in the North with his family. =(
How would that have saved Ned?

Henkka

Banned
Arya's arc is weird if we follow this train of thought. On one hand I'm supposed to believe this is an allegory to the greater theme that you can't hold onto petty grudges because there are bigger concerns.

My trouble with this possibility is that Arya's family was murdered and GRRM has stated he writes his books organically. He doesn't plan an endgame for individual characters and makes up his mind on what path they take at the very same moment he is doing his first draft.

The first case is hardly petty and is deserving of holding onto. The second runs counter-intuitively to the idea he could plan Arya's arc as an allegory.

I don't think this is true? I'm pretty certain he's stated he knows the fates of all the major characters. He doesn't know all the details of how they're going to get there and the story grows in the telling, that's the organic part. But he knows the broad strokes and where it ends.

Nice post from the unsullied thread...

That's really how I viewed it. Stannis didn't let Shireen burn because he only wants to be king, but because he believes that humanity's only hope for surviving the winter is for he and his army to conquer the Seven Kingdoms and unite them against the undead.

Five

Banned
Wasn't impressed with this episode...
I don't think anyone here is surprised by that! ;)

The fight scenes in the last episode were good, but in episode 9 we're back to high school play level choreography. The fights were pretty hilarious.
Disagree. I highly enjoyed the fighting pits. It wasn't nearly as bad as the Sand Snake encounter.

I'm also having trouble understanding how Unsullied went from being the most trained and dedicated fighting force on the face of the earth to being essentially ineffectual fodder.
It's a more interesting narrative than Dany pile-driving the east and it further establishes the dragons as her true source of power.

Nah, it killed loads of harpies. Really its only point of weakness was when it sat there staring at Dany while the harpies regrouped behind it.

Meh, there's nothing wrong with having a mix of emotions. It would be damned depressing if there was never any levity.

Let's be real, you've been "starting not to care" for nine episodes now. :p

Sorry if it seems like I'm picking on you. It's just that your season five rant is pretty predictable at this point!

The utter torment in Stannis' face during that scene was haunting. That second where Shireen goes silent was one of the single most distressing moments you'll ever see on television too.

I don't think Davos will find out the specifics for a long time, as he's been told not to come back empty handed. He may hear of the (inevitable, at this point) victory though, and that she "didn't make it". Doubt will take over after that, and he'll know it was no accident.

It doesn't make much sense as an allegory unless the many faced god actually has a plan worth putting her list aside for. None of these "gods" have impressed me though so ... I'm not holding my breath that some grand plan is coming.

Even if he writes organically, he still has to have some idea of a goal for her. For one his stories would be all over the place. For another, he's sold this motherfucker and the rights to HBO before the last two books were written. Fool has an idea of where this is going.

I've never liked the character of Stannis so much as I was fascinated by him. He is like... the starkest definition of Lawful Neutral there is, a man who is so bound up in honor and what is Right by Law that he will go to any length to enforce it. The thing is... I don't think he even wants to be king, not really. He just thinks he HAS to be king. Not just because it's his by succession but because he's been so twisted around this idea that only he can protect the realm from the terrors Melissandre keeps warning him about.

Agreed- and thank you for presenting that idea (bolded). I honestly hadn't even put much thought into that until reading your post.

Whew. That was an episode...

I'm not sure if he actually doesn't want to be king or if he feels his wants are unimportant when compared to destiny. Ultimately he's bought into destiny hook line and sinker though. You can see this when he's talking to his daughter just before murdering her. He kinda postulates about choice and whether it's an illusion if destiny is real. He was talking himself into it and talking himself out of any personal culpability in the choice to sacrifice her.

shamo42

Jon Snow arrives at Hardhome literally hours before the walkers attack.

The white walkers attacked because Jon arrived and started to evacuate people. Jon was not only strengthening his own army but also taking future soldiers from the walkers.

This shows that the white walkers use scouts to observe their enemy and are advanced at strategic warfare. They are smart, organized and good at making quick decisions. IMO they deserve to take the iron throne.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom