• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
The dragons are still young relatively speaking, despite their size. Its common dragon lore that there hide toughens up as they get older I think?

I think we might see Dany raze Meereen with Drogon and leave that as her warning to slavers. It sort of frees her up to go to Westeros as well (for whatever reason). And it has some sort of romance in there, with the loyalists from Meereen joining the world's largest Khalasar.

Also, does this mean that Dany cannot bear an heir (I think in season ?2? she conceived but the baby was some sort of dragon skinned beast?), unless with another of the dragon's bloodline? A true Targaryen blood relative for example?

The white walkers attacked because Jon arrived and started to evacuate people. Jon was not only strengthening his own army but also taking future soldiers from the walkers.

This shows that the white walkers use scouts to observe their enemy and are advanced at strategic warfare. They are smart, organized and good at making quick decisions. IMO they deserve to take the iron throne.

But how did the Night King and all his lieutenants get there so fast? Were they always camped a few minutes/hours away? Or do they have special warp speed horses?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
Why didn't the Harpies just chuck their spears at Khalessi when they had her surrounded? That was odd to me.

Volimar

I gasped when Missandei was almost killed. Another point for Tyrion.

Why didn't the Harpies just chuck their spears at Khalessi when they had her surrounded? That was odd to me.

She was surrounded by her people. The Dragon was a bigger target and bigger threat at the moment.

boxter432

The dragons are still young relatively speaking, despite their size. Its common dragon lore that there hide toughens up as they get older I think?

I think we might see Dany raze Meereen with Drogon and leave that as her warning to slavers. It sort of frees her up to go to Westeros as well (for whatever reason). And it has some sort of romance in there, with the loyalists from Meereen joining the world's largest Khalasar.

Also, does this mean that Dany cannot bear an heir (I think in season ?2? she conceived but the baby was some sort of dragon skinned beast?), unless with another of the dragon's bloodline? A true Targaryen blood relative for example?

no the witch they ended up killing used her son's lifeforce or something for the bloodmagic to save Drogo when his stab wound was killing him. that's why it was a little beast instead of a kid.

shamo42

But how did the Night King and all his lieutenants get there so fast? Were they always camped a few minutes/hours away? Or do they have special warp speed horses?

They had plans to attack and were making preparations. It's likely that their camp was only a few hours away. Why would they have it away further? The widlings are no match for their uber swords and army of the dead.

Thanks for the props everyone :)

Another thing about the build up to that scene is the way Stannis very specifically sent Davos away. I don't actually think that he actually expects to get supplies from the Nights Watch, he just wanted to spare Davos the horror of what was to come next. And maybe because he was ashamed of it too. Either way I hope Davos gets to the Wall and chills out with Jon until the White Walkers get there. Gods know Jon needs another level headed dude up there to help against what's seemingly like an inevitable mutiny.

I'm not sure if he actually doesn't want to be king or if he feels his wants are unimportant when compared to destiny. Ultimately he's bought into destiny hook line and sinker though. You can see this when he's talking to his daughter just before murdering her. He kinda postulates about choice and whether it's an illusion if destiny is real. He was talking himself into it and talking himself out of any personal culpability in the choice to sacrifice her.

I don't think for a second that Stannis doesn't consider himself personally responsible for that decision. Melly had been suggesting he sacrifice his daughter for a while now and he kept telling her off. The choice was always his and he knew it. And I think he will take his decision especially hard, but only future episodes will say for sure! (unless he dies next episode or something)

cormack12

Gold Member
no the witch they ended up killing used her son's lifeforce or something for the bloodmagic to save Drogo when his stab wound was killing him. that's why it was a little beast instead of a kid.

aahhh, yeah I remember that now. So she can still rock a human kid then :)

I don't think for a second that Stannis doesn't consider himself personally responsible for that decision. Melly had been suggesting he sacrifice his daughter for a while now and he kept telling her off. The choice was always his and he knew it. And I think he will take his decision especially hard, but only future episodes will say for sure! (unless he dies next episode or something)

How his character handles the murder of his daughter from here out, I'm not sure. At the time though he was definitely trying to talk himself out of any responsibility. That was the point of his convo with his daughter. That was the point of him talking about destiny and choice. When his wife finally says she can't do it, he fell back to the destiny line and said he had no choice. If he continues to follow his destiny I don't think there will be much left of the man by the end.

His discussion with his daughter before hand mirrors that. His trying to make his decision "forced" although it obviously isn't.

How his character handles the murder of his daughter from here out, I'm not sure. At the time though he was definitely trying to talk himself out of any responsibility. That was the point of his convo with his daughter. That was the point of him talking about destiny and choice. When his wife finally says she can't do it, he fell back to the destiny line and said he had no choice. If he continues to follow his destiny I don't think there will be much left of the man by the end.

Ahh I think I see what you mean. Yeah I can't really disagree with you there, though I still don't see him trying to evade responsibility. But I don't think it's going to end up lessening the sting in the long run and I completely agree that his pursuit of this destiny is going to leave him a shell of a man by the end.

Why isn't it forced?

It's only "forced" in that he thinks the shit he's being fed from the red witch is authentic.

Everyone here seems to think sh'es legit but her powers amount to a mixture of what we've seen. Bran can tell the future as well as she can. He can assume control over a person too. The witch doctor at the begining brought back Drogo, even if it was a half ass version of him. I mean her lone power amounts to giving birth to a shadow stannis.

Meh ... I'm just not sold on any of these Gods yet. And I definitely don't trust anything the red witch does. She's got ulterior motive written all over her.

Ferrio

Banned
It's only "forced" in that he thinks the shit he's being fed from the red witch is authentic.

Well, okay let's say he doesn't sacrifice anyone. How does he get outta this situation? He's fucked unless he wins, and he isn't going win unless there's a miracle.

I don't trust her either, but he is in a do or die situation.

Everyone here seems to think sh'es legit but her powers amount to a mixture of what we've seen. Bran can tell the future as well as she can. He can assume control over a person too. The witch doctor at the begining brought back Drogo, even if it was a half ass version of him. I mean her lone power amounts to giving birth to a shadow stannis.

Well lets think about that in the context of what Stannis knows. He's never seen any of that other magic shit in the world. All he knows is one day this priestess showed up on his doorstep telling him of this prophecy and seemed to have some weird magic to back up her claims. She survived a lethal poison without so much as a sweat, showed him the future, predicted/maybe caused the deaths of 3 kings with leeches (2 outta 3 ain't bad), and made a motherfuckin shadow baby from his unborn child. There's another worshiper of the Lord of Light out there that seems to be able to cast resurrection, so maybe she's got anecdotal evidence of that too.

I mean, whether or not her magic is as cool as dragons isn't really the point. He went from "magic exists only in fairy tales" to "here's magic". She's at least capable of some minor miracles so her credibility is at least pretty decent in that regard.

Tainted

So funny. What other characters are MIA (other than the whole Bran crew, who we know they're intentionally not addressing at all)? It's pretty ridiculous how long they've gone without checking in with Varys, for instance.

Varys at least is back for next week's ep going by his IMDb page

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
THAT scene was incredibly hard to watch. Stannis can fuck off.

The final scenes though were very, very good. Episode flew by. Hopefully next weeks is action packed since it's the finale.

Just saw the latest episode, holy damn Stannis actually sacrificed his daughter he is officially on my shit list. Arya finally going to get some revenge by targeting that asshole knight. Can't wait. That dome chaos though, holy shit can't believe most of them made it out in one peace, well besides that dude was that suppose to marry Daenerys. Jorah finally earned Daenerys's trust back by saving her life, yet what choice did she have. Drogon with the save awesome, now just release the rest.

My personal interpretation is that the Lord of Light is completely legit and possibly some kind of entity at odds with the White Walkers but isn't exactly a loving and peaceful god. It's only "good" in the sense that he's probably preferable to an eternal winter but may just be one jerkass god among many in that world. He's a really old school god that requires sacrifice of some kind.

I think that Melly is also a completely sincere devotee of this god and just has a really alien notion of good and evil.

The fact that Baylon Greyjoy hasn't died (unless I somehow missed it) suggests that we don't even know if king's blood does anything in the first place. We already know the Red Woman likes to deal in placebos in order to keep people following the one true god. Maybe this sacrifice was entirely pointless?

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Back to back amazing episodes, this fucking show.

Vashetti

Banned
Varys at least is back for next week's ep going by his IMDb page

Please don't post IMDB info in here

1. I don't want to know who's appearing in each ep
2. Anyone can edit that info, I could edit it to say Gendry, Benjen, Bran, Balon, Yara, etc. are appearing in the next episode

Well, okay let's say he doesn't sacrifice anyone. How does he get outta this situation? He's fucked unless he wins, and he isn't going win unless there's a miracle.

I don't trust her either, but he is in a do or die situation.

Ohh I don't disagree that he was fucked regardless. Part of me feels this was the red witches intention the whole time. She didn't seem too un-pleased when fires started breaking around the camp. Almost like she knew it would end in Stannis's decision to kill his daughter.

Well lets think about that in the context of what Stannis knows. He's never seen any of that other magic shit in the world. All he knows is one day this priestess showed up on his doorstep telling him of this prophecy and seemed to have some weird magic to back up her claims. She survived a lethal poison without so much as a sweat, showed him the future, predicted/maybe caused the deaths of 3 kings with leeches (2 outta 3 ain't bad), and made a motherfuckin shadow baby from his unborn child. There's another worshiper of the Lord of Light out there that seems to be able to cast resurrection, so maybe she's got anecdotal evidence of that too.

I mean, whether or not her magic is as cool as dragons isn't really the point. He went from "magic exists only in fairy tales" to "here's magic". She's at least capable of some minor miracles so her credibility is at least pretty decent in that regard.

Well you're definitely correct in that Stannis has more reason to believe her, but we the audience don't. I just don't trust her at all. Not her motives, intentions or the power that's backing her.

nubbe

Stannis has literally stated this himself on the show when Davos was locked up on Dragonstone and Stannis visited him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6FOHHwpW3g

I NEVER CHOSE THIS

YUHodnl.gif

cSEwnCA.jpg

Z1k8wpY.gif

I really can't get over how lazy the writing has been to the point where they just straight up turned the unsullied into weak, under-numbered pushovers as opposed to finding a creative way to threaten Dany's rule.

Tainted

Please don't post IMDB info in here

1. I don't want to know who's appearing in each ep
2. Anyone can edit that info, I could edit it to say Gendry, Benjen, Bran, Balon, Yara, etc. are appearing in the next episode

Its hardly spoiler material. Varys' last appearance was not left as a cliffhanger or his fate unknown. Of course I wouldn't post IMdb info for a pivotal character....it was always assumed Varys would turn up at some point

Ferrio

Banned
I really can't get over how lazy the writing has been to the point where they just straight up turned the unsullied into weak, under-numbered pushovers as opposed to finding a creative way to threaten Dany's rule.

I really think it's a curse of the format. They need to hit all the beats of the books, but they come off as contrived since there's so little screen time.

xaosslug

Meh ... I'm just not sold on any of these Gods yet. And I definitely don't trust anything the red witch does. She's got ulterior motive written all over her.

which is just same old same old, amirite? ;P

really, tho. Stannis has been shown enough to truly believe in the Lord of Light, let's not pretend duder's going on blind faith.

Ayt

Banned
Its hardly spoiler material. Varys' last appearance was not left as a cliffhanger or his fate unknown. Of course I wouldn't post IMdb info for a pivotal character....it was always assumed Varys would turn up at some point

I don't want to know when he will show up.

nubbe

I really think it's a curse of the format. They need to hit all the beats of the books, but they come off as contrived since there's so little screen time.

It's like when Jon and the wildlings climbed the Wall... they were supposed to be like 40?

But you only saw like 4-5 of them on the way to storm Castle Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom