• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeyB

Her arc this season is about learning to govern. It's not enough to raise armies and conquer/liberate cities; she has to know how to actually rule subjects and deal with dissent.
What has she learned since the first episode? She had the same problem then. She has tried, policing, threatening nobles, marrying nobles, denying traditions, promoting traditions, throwing out an advisor who loved her, accepting an advisor whose family tried to kill her, and imposing harsh and impersonal justice. No dice. While she has certainly tried those things, the show has not shown any growth or internal conflict on her part. If episode 10 shows that she has learned something, it is going to be some Scooby Doo style storytelling, "It turns out that you've learned that you've been destined to govern by force and fear all along!"

The Winterfell and King's Landing storylines are probably the best written and I'm really interested to see where they go.

xenist

Dany doesn't suck at governing. She's taken over a vile city, occupied by vile men. When she compromised with the original traditions of the city by re-opening the fighting pits, the same vile men responded by orchestrating an assassination attempt. They will not accept any form of government or rule that precludes the full-blown restoration of slavery, so if she's to be criticized for anything, it should be for failing to weed out the pro-slavery insurgents.

Yup. There needs to be a culling in Meereen. And I suspect one is coming up.

RDreamer

Dany doesn't suck at governing. She's taken over a vile city, occupied by vile men. When she compromised with the original traditions of the city by re-opening the fighting pits, the same vile men responded by orchestrating an assassination attempt. They will not accept any form of government or rule that precludes the full-blown restoration of slavery, so if she's to be criticized for anything, it should be for failing to weed out the pro-slavery insurgents.

You think she's going to have it any easier when she heads to Westeros?

And yes, you're right, they will not accept any form of government or rule that precludes the restoration of slavery... so what does she do? She opens the fighting pits again and marries what's-his-face.

She's been stumbling back and forth the whole time there.

What has she learned since the first episode? She had the same problem then. She has tried, policing, threatening nobles, marrying nobles, denying traditions, promoting traditions, throwing out an advisor who loved her, accepting an advisor whose family tried to kill her, and imposing harsh and impersonal justice. No dice. While she has certainly tried those things, the show has not shown any growth or internal conflict on her part. If episode 10 shows that she has learned something, it is going to be some Scooby Doo style storytelling, "It turns out that you've learned that you've been destined to govern by force and fear all along!"

The Winterfell and King's Landing storylines are probably the best written and I'm really interested to see where they go.

Agreed.

Well, hopefully it's more along the lines of "It turns out you're really fucking bad at this but at least you have Tyrion and Dragons."

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I also see a lot of people saying that Dany just left everyone in peril. No, she didn't. Go back and watch that whole sequence. Most of the Harpies fled the moment Drogon showed up, and most of the ones who stuck around were roasted by dragon. By the time Dany left (to save Drogon's life, might I add), there were only a few Harpies left, and Daario, Jorah and the Unsullied pretty much had the situations under control.

I doubt Tyrion, Missandei and Daario would have been able to pause in the middle of the arena to watch in awe if it were otherwise.

It still hurts ;_; I thought she was destined to great things.
11390551_848420075212633_169840809581774732_n.jpg

You think she's going to have it any easier when she heads to Westeros?

And yes, you're right, they will not accept any form of government or rule that precludes the restoration of slavery... so what does she do? She opens the fighting pits again and marries what's-his-face.

She's been stumbling back and forth the whole time there.

Name me one great ruler that didn't have a strong council. Before Tyrion entered the picture, she had no one with the proper education or intelligence to give her sound advice. Her circle consisted of former servants and old knights.

iNvid02

props to my man jorah, if his spear hadn't flown true then dany would have gotten shanked real good

although he did miss an opportunity to fly out of the friendzone with her but thats jorah for ya

props to my man jorah, if his spear hadn't flown true then dany would have gotten shanked real good

although he did miss an opportunity to fly out of the friendzone with her but thats jorah for ya

Jorah is going to creat a thread here on GAF any moment now: "GAF I had a one in a lifetime chance with the girl I love and I blew it"

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Name me one great ruler that didn't have a good council. Before Tyrion entered the picture, she had no one with the proper education or intelligence to give her sound advice.
Exactly. Plus, Westeros doesn't have cunt slave owners trying to reinstate slavery by all means necessary. If Ned Stark led an army to free the slaves of Slavery Bay, he would have executed all the slave masters. Dany's mistake was not doing the same. As Obama learned, you can't negotiate nor compromise with shit heads whose sole intentions are to fuck with you in every way.

ASIS

No internal conflict? The entire fighting pits scene before that harpies show up were about her conflict. The talk with Tyrion also showed that. The death of Selmy also showcased that when she burned one of the masters.

If anything the entire season showcased the difficulty of ruling city you know nothing about. She tried to listen to her advirors to a T and didn't work so she forged her own actions. I'd say she actually developed a lot since episode 1. The fact that she isn't there yet doesn't mean she didn't progress at all.
Add to the fact that a lot of people in mereen still love her, so she isn't exactly completely failing.

iNvid02

Jorah is going to creat a thread here on GAF any moment now: "GAF I had a one in a lifetime chance with the girl I love and I blew it"

well his time is running out, so he hasn't got anything to lose. i hope they get to together for real, fuck daario.

and even if dany says no, he'll survive. "you cannot break my heart m'lady, for it is made of stone now"

MikeyB

No internal conflict? The entire fighting pits scene before that harpies show up were about her conflict.
Anything beyond "this is gross and I disagree?" Anything linking the various things she has tried?

She has certainly reacted, but each attempt at something new may as well be the first one for all the impact it has on her or the city. Maybe it's her acting, but I think it is because they have written her as consistently confused and grasping at straws.

He later creates a thread asking GAF for medical advise and if he's going to be ok because of an odd looking rash.

#dead

GAF this weird rash that looks like a shell is getting bigger by the minute, should I go to the doctor?

Jorah no doubt one of the better fighters of the realm and a fearless warrior, how can he get so mocked?

What Dany is learning is that you can't be a mincing pussy and expect things to be okay.

A good ruler is equal parts humanitarian and conqueror. Drogon coming in and roasting fools (hopefully) was a lesson for her - sometimes the only thing people understand is a boot in their ass.

Dany's problem is that she's let one voice have too much say. Whether it's Selmy, Daario, or Tyrion. the 3 of them in concert (were Selmy not killed) would work perfectly.

It still hurts ;_; I thought she was destined to great things.

It will forever hurt ;_; that entire scene with her getting dragged to the stake to her burning is one of the few GOT scenes where I only see once and then never again (others are the wedding, oberyn fight and ned). That was too much.. Screaming felt like it went forever damn.. I replayed the episode last night and I just skipped through all of that shit.

iNvid02

the most shocking twist of all will be that the final season of this show will be animated because the CGI budget for the armies and dragons and wars will be too much

After the Stannis debacle I have no one left to root for to become king.

So either they implement a democracy or I'm going to root for the White Walkers.

In fact, the White Walkers are pretty decent.

• Rescuing abandoned infants from the cold! <3
  • Handing out immortality for everyone, no discrimination. Including dead people! Yay, mom is back!
  • Decent fighters, very honorable as they would not stab their opponent in the back and want a fair fight! Also don't attack/kill pitiful weak opponents like fat guys.
  • So far they've never been seen being an ass to each other or killing/fucking family members etc.

Ferrio

Banned

So either they implement a democracy or I'm going to root for the White Walkers.

• Handing out immortality for everyone, no discrimination. Including dead people! Yay, mom is back!
  • Decent fighters, very honorable as they would not stab their opponent in the back and want a fair fight! Also don't attack/kill pitiful weak opponents like fat guys.
  • So far they've never been seen being an ass to each other or killing/fucking family members etc.

I want a whole new remake of GoT but the main cast is white walkers. Imagine the drama at King's Landing!

Kinyou

lol, maybe that's really their perspective

"Look at these guys, murdering, raping and even skinning people alive. We need to bring some freedom to this country"

darkwing

#TeamPrinceDoran

Apparently sacrificing Shireen revived The Last Guardian so I have mixed feelings about it now.

...w.. wh.. what?
*checks gaming side*

ohhhhhh :eek:

(though your comment made me imagine Shu going on twitter like "lol guys, if you think Shireen was bad just wait until you have to sacrifice your Guardian in TLG")

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member

You know.. you might just be on to something here. I like it.

UrbanRats

#TeamPrinceDoran

latest

--
Episode was pretty fun, but the way this series depicts "evil dudes", is always so comically cringe worthy.
Thinking of Ser Merryn, Ramsey, Joffrey.. so hilariously one dimensional.

Also, Stannis is just senile guys, you can tell by his vacuous stare, and the belief in the very vague premonitions and cold readings from Melisandre.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
But the kids were specifically abandoned by people to keep the walkers away. They are solving the problem they create..

Well I doubt the walkers asked him to do that. And it's clear Craster didn't want to keep any male babies around so that could have just been his excuse for leaving them out there. "Oh it keeps the walkers away!"

^^^
/beaten

But the kids were specifically abandoned by people to keep the walkers away. They are solving the problem they create..

Sure, as if daddy I-impregnate-all-my-daughters-and-grand-daughters would raise a dozen boys himself.
There would be just a pile of baby skeletons somewhere in the forest.

Ramsay does what he's designed for, which is providing crazy moments for the audience now that Jofferey is dead. Sansa's just lucky he didn't decide to take her out on a hunting mission.
That's obvious. Saying he is a little out of hand is pretty crazy on other hand.

Freedom = $1.05 said:
yeah, if i tasked with stabbing people from close range and suddenly a fucking dragon was 20 feet away from me I'd be quick to get the fuck out of there.
It's always fun to read people sitting in front of their comptuters asking why people are getting scared when crazy shit happens in TV.

Brojito

Neo Member
Yup. There needs to be a culling in Meereen. And I suspect one is coming up.

There better be. I'm getting really sick of the "Sons of Harpies". I mean FFS it's a bunch of rich ex-slavers in clown masks running around stabbing people, how have they been this consistently successful against the Unsullied?

I'm ready for Daario and Grey Worm to march through Mereen and just massacre them all, it's clear there's no other solution.

Curufinwe

--
Episode was pretty fun, but the way this series depicts "evil dudes", is always so comically cringe worthy.
Thinking of Ser Merryn, Ramsey, Joffrey.. so hilariously one dimensional.

Tywin, Cersei, Roose and Littlefinger are all characters who have done plenty of evil things and are far from being one dimensional.

That's obvious. Saying he is a little out of hand is pretty crazy on other hand.
The dude's a fucking psychopath but I wouldn't take him any other way. They need to show more of Roose's dark side, we all know the dude has one. The guy represses so much that him going all out would be scary and entertaining at the same time.
Tywin, Cersei, Roose and Littlefinger are all characters who have done plenty of evil things and are far from being one dimensional.
I'm still waiting for Littlefinger to twirl his mustache.

Well I doubt the walkers asked him to do that. And it's clear Craster didn't want to keep any male babies around so that could have just been his excuse for leaving them out there. "Oh it keeps the walkers away!"

lol so the walker just happened to be walking around Craster's and wondered 'why in the world do they keep abandoning male babies. I'll save it!'?

Brojito

Neo Member
And The Hound and Jaime. Some people just love to hate around here.

Yea, it's like people forget the first few seasons of Game of Thrones happened. The show has done plenty to develop some incredible complex characters and their arcs.

Some people really are just fucking psychopaths, that's all. Joffrey didn't take away from how complex and well developed the rest of the Lannister camp was, and neither does Ramsay.

ASIS

Anything beyond "this is gross and I disagree?" Anything linking the various things she has tried?

She has certainly reacted, but each attempt at something new may as well be the first one for all the impact it has on her or the city. Maybe it's her acting, but I think it is because they have written her as consistently confused and grasping at straws.

Yes, in fact, they did. In those five minutes they explained why she thinks its wrong, why she opened it anyway, and why she needs to support the fighting pits further.

EDIT: I don't understand the bolded.

Very true.

Also, how come no one talked about Dinklage's performance this season? He might not have had a "big" moment but he was probably the best actor this season alongside Alfie. You can read so many nuances from his face that you almost know exactly what he's thinking without the the need to say a word.

Dinklage is the only real actor on the show. He is the show, imo. I have been very impressed by him. Everybody else is one note without any nuance. Though I have to say, this last ep was near perfect in pacing and action storytelling. The show does action much better than drama.

Vashetti

Banned
Dinklage is the only real actor on the show. He is the show, imo. I have been very impressed by him. Everybody else is one note without any nuance. Though I have to say, this last ep was near perfect in pacing and action storytelling. The show does action much better than drama.

Sorry, but this is just nonsense.

lol good point. Reminds me of Aliens. "You know, Burke, I don't know which species is worse. You don't see them fucking each other over for a goddamn percentage."

zma1013

I'm team Walkers all the way. The only ending I'll accept is one where everyone is killed by zombies because they were too busy being assholes to each other to notice the impending doom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom