• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

I don't know for sure, but it would seem to me that resurrecting a single life versus giving someone the power to win wars and rule is a lot greater.

But it's not like every act we've seen her do has some major, westeros-wide effect. And she seems to need some measure of kings blood for every act she performs.

Resurrecting someone is still a more obvious show of power than most things we've seen her do.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
ph3urCi.jpg

Too soon?

xaosslug

7 seasons. GRRM keeps talking about wanting them to do a prequel season so he can catch up, like a Dunk & Egg season or a season about the rebellion against the Targs. But lol they're never doing that.

honestly, the way they stay hyping up the dragon battles I think it might happen. It needs to, imo, for peeps to care more about Daenerys OVER the Starks.

scabro

But it's not like every act we've seen her do has some major, westeros-wide effect. And she seems to need some measure of kings blood for every act she performs.

Resurrecting someone is still a more obvious show of power than most things we've seen her do.
wasnt she surprised that the the dude had the power to revive too? like he shouldnt have been able to

daniels

Cant wait for the army of death to attack kings landing can you imagine zombie joffrey and zombie tywin chasing people around ^^°

Brojito

Neo Member
I don't know why that pisses you off though. That's always been the key point of her entire storyline.

She was abused as a child, suddenly got a massive amount of power, has had no idea how to wield that power, but has deluded herself into thinking she's capable of wielding it.

In the events of the most recent episode, she's finally realized just how powerless she truly is. I think it's a great turn of the story. It would've been pretty ridiculous if she ended up succeeding despite having no experience in the matter or any reason for viewers to believe she'd be capable of doing so.

I get that, and I think that's a great direction for her story as well. It just seems like the show is still presenting her as being the best possible option and person who's going to fix everything while she clearly has no real idea what she's doing yet. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm just getting fed up with her, and her dramatic "I'm gonna break the wheel" bullshit. I wanted the camera to pan back to Tyrion just rolling his eyes at her.

raindoc

I'm team Walkers all the way. The only ending I'll accept is one where everyone is killed by zombies because they were too busy being assholes to each other to notice the impending doom.
the whole series is a nod to modern humans and climate change/global warming.

Summer's coming motherfuckers.

ASIS

I get that, and I think that's a great direction for her story as well. It just seems like the show is still presenting her as being the best possible option and person who's going to fix everything while she clearly has no real idea what she's doing yet. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm just getting fed up with her, and her dramatic "I'm gonna break the wheel" bullshit. I wanted the camera to pan back to Tyrion just rolling his eyes at her.
but see, it's still possible. she may have failed in a lot of areas bUT she succeeded in many things as well. A huge part of her character is that she dares to dream, and while that blows up in her face from time to time she still manages to get by.

Can't say you're wrong about that one. Even she was shook when she witnessed the resurrection. But giving birth to the smoke demon was pretty damn powerful, not to mention the demon baby knowing where and how to find Ren.

Too soon?

LOL fewer.

Oreoleo

King Stannis Baratheon, rightful King of the seven kingdoms of Westeros and heir to the throne, on at least two occasions in the show has corrected the improper usage of "less" by people of lesser grammar than he.

wait really? i can't tell if this is a joke post or not

wingwah

Banned

Yeah, the show's been presenting her as the best option since it began. The only problem is that her story line has been an absolute bore. What exactly has she been doing since season 1? creating an army (although seemingly absent last episode??) Freeing slaves? Lot of good that did her. She has no natural ability to rule–no tactics, no plan.

It's infuriating.

Yeah, the show's been presenting her as the best option since it began. The only problem is that her story line has been an absolute bore. What exactly has she been doing since season 1? creating an army (although seemingly absent last episode??) Freeing slaves? Lot of good that did her. She has no natural ability to rule–no tactics, no plan.

It's infuriating.

She is a young woman with charisma and mysterious powers...she hasn't been borne to rule...That was supposedly her brother. She is learning as she goes along. She has already done pretty well...Defeating a number of city states and taking over a city that makes King's Landing look like Scunthorpe. I do think her stuff is better in the books though.

UrbanRats

Tywin, Cersei, Roose and Littlefinger are all characters who have done plenty of evil things and are far from being one dimensional.

I know, i'm not saying every evil character is one dimensional, i'm saying there are specifically some characters were they just go "fuck it" and double down on everything, from their actions in every single scene, to their mannerisms.
And it gets more comical than anything.

She is a young woman with charisma and mysterious powers...she hasn't been borne to rule...That was supposedly her brother. She is learning as she goes along. She has already done pretty well...Defeating a number of city states and taking over a city that makes King's Landing look like Scunthorpe. I do think her stuff is better in the books though.

Honestly (and I think I'm in the minority), I don't think Dany is charismatic at all. Take away her dragons and she's pretty meh. Her character seems rather flat compared to a lot of the others. Even when she is being a good leader and showing compassion it just doesn't have much of a emotional punch for me.

I was literally rolling my eyes at the last scene of this episode.

Mario007

Honestly (and I think I'm in the minority), I don't think Dany is charismatic at all. Take away her dragons and she's pretty meh. Her character seems rather flat compared to a lot of the others. Even when she is being a good leader and showing compassion it just doesn't have much of a emotional punch for me.

I was literally rolling my eyes at the last scene of this episode.

It's cause Clarke pales in comparison to other actors on the show. She plays Dany in an overtly stoic mode eversince she got to Yun-kai to show that she's confident but it doesn't work well at all. '

mokeyjoe

It's cause Clarke pales in comparison to other actors on the show. She plays Dany in an overtly stoic mode eversince she got to Yun-kai to show that she's confident but it doesn't work well at all. '

Before she got to Meereen she was one of my favourite characters. I hope she gets out of there soon.

I wonder what this sacrifice will give them. I'm thinking a fiery path to get into Winterfell easily or something.

I do wonder what they would do with Sansa though, another sacrifice for the future ?

Joe

Dany was a former slave herself. Her own brother and last remaining relative sold her to a brute war lord. She then proceeded to gain the respect of the brute war lords army and followers and becomes a true queen to them. She then acquired her own army and freed the slaves of half the world. Her brother sold her to khal drogo against her will but from that point forward she has gotten to her incredibly prominent position on her own leadership. And she three dragons. What's not to like? She makes Stannis look like a pawn.

I can trade some mediocre acting for the badass character that is daenerys targaryen. You can tell she's definitely trying to step her game up around Peter Dinklage though.

Dany was a former slave herself. Her own brother and last remaining relative sold her to a brute war lord. She then proceeded to gain the respect of the brute war lords army and followers and becomes a true queen to them. She then acquired her own army and freed the slaves of half the world. Her brother sold her to khal drogo against her will but from that point forward she has gotten to her incredibly prominent position on her own leadership. And she three dragons. What's not to like? She makes Stannis look like a pawn.

I can trade some mediocre acting for the badass character that is daenerys targaryen. You can tell she's definitely trying to step her game up around Peter Dinklage though.

When was Dany a slave exactly?

Chichikov

King Stannis Baratheon, rightful King of the seven kingdoms of Westeros and heir to the throne, on at least two occasions in the show has corrected the improper usage of "less" by people of lesser grammar than he.
That "rule" is a grammar myth pushed by pedantic idiots, there was nothing improper about the usage in both cases.
I'm fine with him burning his daughter, it was like a bit cold or something, seems reasonable, and really, her scenes were mostly pointless, but fuck having a grammar Nazi rule the country.

#TeamThatRedhreadVikingDude

when she was married to khal drogo.

Lol, that's really pushing the definition of slave. Sure sure sure, the definition of slave can be stretched a lot, and you could even be philosophical and argue that every person on earth is a slave. But you can't possibly compare the position Dany was in to that of a slave. She was forced to marry a guy, and thus she was made queen, got body guards, and got all that she needed while not having to do any work, apart from pleasing her husband.

Please. If Dany was a slave, then just about every damn character in this show is a slave.

Ethelwulf

Yeah, of course!

I remember Bran Stark having a vision about the shadow of a dragon flying above King's Landing. Last season, he encountered this elder character trapped within the roots of a tree and told him something like: "you'll never walk again, but you will fly". My prediction is that Bran will shift inside Daenerys's Dragon and will play a fundamental role somewhere in the saga. What you guys think?

I remember Bran Stark having a vision about the shadow of a dragon flying above King's Landing. Last season, he encountered this elder character trapped within the roots of a tree and told him something like: "you'll never walk again, but you will fly". My prediction is that Bran will shift inside Daenerys's Dragon and will play a fundamental role somewhere in the saga. What you guys think?

Yeah, that scene was what makes me think he will control the dragons with his mind control.

Also, it's another good reason why there has hardly been any dragons in this season, the same season that bran is hardly in it. Once he learns to control them raging himself, all the wars will be over relatively quickly.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
I thought I heard somewhere that Bran's story is over in the books.

EDIT: Not over as in he's dead or anything, just that the show is at the point in Bran's story line in the books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom