• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK SPOILERS* |OT| Season 5 - Sundays on HBO [Read the OP]

Status
Not open for further replies.
In case it hadn't been said...

If Davos never helped Gendry escape, it's quite possible Shireen wouldn't have been killed. Yep...that's irony.

I doubt it. He's like an addict. There'll always be some crisis that he needs a sacrifice for. It won't stop with Winterfell and it won't stop if be becomes king.

Sorry, but this is just nonsense.
Agreed. Legit one of the worst posts of the entire thread. GoT has the best ensemble of actors I've ever seen in a television series. Even someone like Danny who is pretty damn good and would be one of the best actresses in another TV show, gets shit on (a bit harshly IMO) by others because she can't keep up with some of the best.

I'm team Walkers all the way. The only ending I'll accept is one where everyone is killed by zombies because they were too busy being assholes to each other to notice the impending doom.

Jon, Sam and the Wildlings deserve to live then. So do Stannis and Melisandre since they're the only ones behind the wall that give a rats ass about the WW. Oh, and Bran and co as well.

Oreoleo

Bet you the kid will try to kill Jon but failed and Sam dies instead in order to protect Jon. I think Sam may have a feeling about this kid.

Yup. Sam got laid, his time is up.

I miss when King's Landing used to be an interesting place with Tywin, Tyrion, Littlefinger, Varys, etc. Now it's just Cersei, her wuss boy, and a wrinkly religious nut with a bunch of knifey priests.

And FrankenMountain which was hinted at earlier in the season ;)

Dennis

Banned
The real question is will it happen before or after his dick turns to stone? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Dany: I just don't know about you and I, Jorah. You are kind of an old man. Can you even keep it hard for long?

Jorah: *drops pants*

Dany: O_O;

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
lolol

Yqyde5J.gif

MikeyB

Yes, in fact, they did. In those five minutes they explained why she thinks its wrong, why she opened it anyway, and why she needs to support the fighting pits further.

EDIT: I don't understand the bolded.
I think that her explanation addresses only that tactic. And she has a rationale for each tactic she tried. That's no surprise. But there is little demonstration of the repercussions of her poor decisions on the state of the City or her inner state.

I'll use Stannis after the Blackwater as my gold standard for demonstrating the repercussions of her actions. Desperate, despondent, open to human sacrifice and almost pleading with Melisandre.

Daenarys expected to rule that city, had two armies, dragons, and experienced advisors. She proved herself incompetent early and lost all of those things until the last episode. Did she demonstrate desperation or any hint that she was running out of tactics as you might expect?

No, the events happen but she stays the same. We got close to it with a Dario conversation and a Missandei conversation but they only scratched the surface. We must assume her increasing anxiety from the events, but what she does and how she acts is no more desperate than the start of the season. She showed more growth when she learned how to seduce Drogo in the second episode of the series and more desperation when he died. She showed imcreasing tact when she burnt the masters of the unsullied.

She's either stupid, insane, or they aren't including scenes that show her turmoil.

Ultimately, I'm not even sure why I care so much. I guess I see wasted potential, especially after the fantastic arcs of Arya and the Hound, and Brienne and Jaimie. It could be so much better!

Nekofrog

Banned
I think the entire point to Dae-Dae was showing that she really doesn't know anything about ruling and is absolutely oblivious to the effects that her decisions has. "The commoners are free, they're not slaves so everything's great! ... oh thsoe guys want to kill me? Meh. I'm safe here up in la-la-land."

She has the mental reasoning of a child when it comes to how thinks others view her ("I'm so great, everyone loves me"). Don't really see how others don't get this.

Brojito

Neo Member
I think that her explanation addresses only that tactic. And she has a rationale for each tactic she tried. That's no surprise. But there is little demonstration of the repercussions of her poor decisions on the state of the City or her inner state.

I'll use Stannis after the Blackwater as my gold standard for demonstrating the repercussions of her actions. Desperate, despondent, open to human sacrifice and almost pleading with Melisandre.

Daenarys expected to rule that city, had two armies, dragons, and experienced advisors. She proved herself incompetent early and lost all of those things until the last episode. Did she demonstrate desperation or any hint that she was running out of tactics as you might expect?

No, the events happen but she stays the same. We got close to it with a Dario conversation and a Missandei conversation but they only scratched the surface. We must assume her increasing anxiety from the events, but what she does and how she acts is no more desperate than the start of the season. She showed more growth when she learned how to seduce Drogo in the second episode of the series and more desperation when he died. She showed imcreasing tact when she burnt the masters of the unsullied.

She's either stupid, insane, or they aren't including scenes that show her turmoil.

Ultimately, I'm not even sure why I care so much. I guess I see wasted potential, especially after the fantastic arcs of Arya and the Hound, and Brienne and Jaimie. It could be so much better!

What's pissed me off the most about Dany's storyline so far is that, in reality, her situation is falling into complete chaos, and yet she still acts (and is in some ways presented by the show) as being the soon-to-be savior, unbeatable, with dragons and thousands at her side, just a step away from taking over all of Westeros and putting all those petty Houses in their place.

Except she's never actually been in that position. The closest she got was in Season 3, when she took the Unsullied and had both them and the dragons and was conquering in Essos, but since she's been in Mereen most of it's all fallen apart. How many Unsullied have died? Two of her dragons are locked up and a third is just flying around doing whatever the fuck it wants. Two of her advisors are dead, the other is wounded, and one of them is a cool dude but he's basically Bronn, the Essos version.

I was just rolling my eyes during the first Tyrion/Dany scene when she was giving her "I'm going to break the wheel" speech. HOW? You can't even rule one city with 10,000 unquestionably obedient soldiers and 3 dragons! The city's in complete turmoil and she's still on about how she's going to waltz right into Westeros and just magically fix everything. It's making me not like her as a character anymore.

dLMN8R

I don't know why that pisses you off though. That's always been the key point of her entire storyline.

She was abused as a child, suddenly got a massive amount of power, has had no idea how to wield that power, but has deluded herself into thinking she's capable of wielding it.

In the events of the most recent episode, she's finally realized just how powerless she truly is. I think it's a great turn of the story. It would've been pretty ridiculous if she ended up succeeding despite having no experience in the matter or any reason for viewers to believe she'd be capable of doing so.

MikeyB

She was abused as a child, suddenly got a massive amount of power, has had no idea how to wield that power, but has deluded herself into thinking she's capable of wielding it.

I can get behind that. A clearly and dangerously deluded Dany would be a great story. They need a scene like where Joffrey confronted the minstrel. Stays on the key characters while revealing how the majority really sees them.

JaseMath

Anyone else getting concerned they're sprinting to the finish via shocking set pieces, putting no real thought on how it's all going to end next year?

Because I am. They literally have 11 episodes to tie up everything without it feeling rushed, forced, and/or sloppy.

Stannis....... You utter caaaaaaant.

Hopefully Davos and Brienne will tag team him to death, then they'll run off across the narrow sea to be Dany's new advisors.

Einchy

Anyone else getting concerned they're sprinting to the finish via shocking set pieces, putting no real thought on how it's all going to end next year?

Because I am. They literally have 11 episodes to tie up everything without it feeling rushed, forced, and/or sloppy.

They still have 2 (possibly 3) seasons left.

iNvid02

im sure they said they want 7 seasons, and they'll probably split the final one to get another year out of this show. we might be ok until 2019, aww yass

Barrage

Theres gonna be seven seasons,not six.

7 seasons. GRRM keeps talking about wanting them to do a prequel season so he can catch up, like a Dunk & Egg season or a season about the rebellion against the Targs. But lol they're never doing that.

Roberts rebellion with CGI young Ned, Robert, Stannis and Tywin pls.

Einchy

Maybe it's because the comic I read was shit but a Dunk and Egg season would be pretty boring and uneventful. It'd just be a season long tournament.

You can't go from riding dragons and a zombie army to some guys in a tournament.

So the end of season four looked like they were going to resurrect the Mountain via some dark magic. I think it was implied at the beginning of this season too. Curious if it happens ...

sangreal

So the end of season four looked like they were going to resurrect the Mountain via some dark magic. I think it was implied at the beginning of this season too. Curious if it happens ...

It was implied as recently as last week, when Qyburn tells Cersei the work continues or whatever

Nameless

Going back to the discussion about Melisandre and the Red God from a few pages back...So far we've seen or heard of Lord of Light followers demonstrate:

-Immunity to poison
-Resistance to the cold
-Ability to birth demons
-Ability to resurrect multiple times
-Seeing the future
-Igniting swords with their blood
-Ability to converse with fire voices
-Blood curses**

**People scoff at this one, claiming the events were set in motion long before Melisandre performed the ritual with the leeches, which is true, they were. But that's sorta how curses work , right? The accursed don't spontaneously combust or instantly drop dead without reason, rather cause & effect play out in ways that ensure they're met with tragedy and misfortune. How many schemes and missions fail horribly in this story? Isn't it a bit odd that arguably two of the most complicated and intricate plots we've seen worked flawlessly given all the ways they could have, and probably should have gone wrong? Nevermind the timing.

To be fair, it's also possible that Meli was able to discern the deaths of the usurper kings from the flames and used the whole blood ritual to manipulate Stannis. This would fit with how she admitted to sometimes using smoke & mirrors as a way to lead people to the Lord's truth. Were it merely just some trick, though, I'm not sure why she would go through the trouble of tracking down Gendry in the war torn Riverlands when any ole Low Born pleb would have sufficed. It also doesn't explain why she threw in Balon, who's 'death' was a bit more abstract. Besides, would she really waste precious King's Blood on a scam?

What happens in the wake of this most recent offering of King's Blood will definitely be telling. I'm inclined to believe both her and the Lord of Light are legit at this point. Despite all the hatred and distrust Melisandre garners from fans, it's hard to point to anything she's claimed or predicted that's been inaccurate. Certainly Stannis has no reason to doubt her; everything he's gotten thus far is directly because of her.

Besides, would she really waste precious King's Blood on a scam?

Not to mention, if that was the case she could have just chosen anyone and pretended or lied that they were of royal blood and used them to scam with.

But Nameless, I fear what will happen to you if Meli ever bites the dust, lol.

Stannis could have shot an arrow at his daughter to mercy kill her like Jon Snow did to Mance.

He did not, and instead let his daughter die in the most gruesome way possible. #fatheroftheyear

royalan

Going back to the discussion about Melisandre and the Red God from a few pages back...So far we've seen or heard of Lord of Light followers demonstrate:

-Immunity to poison
-Resistance to the cold
-Ability to birth demons
-Ability to resurrect multiple times
-Seeing the future
-Igniting swords with their blood
-Ability to converse with fire voices
-Blood curses**

**People scoff at this one, claiming the events were set in motion long before Melisandre performed the ritual with the leeches, which is true, they were. But that's sorta how curses work , right? The accursed don't spontaneously combust or instantly drop dead without reason, rather cause & effect play out in ways that ensure they're met with tragedy and misfortune. How many schemes and missions fail horribly in this story? Isn't it a bit odd that arguably two of the most complicated and intricate plots we've seen worked flawlessly given all the ways they could have, and probably should have gone wrong? Nevermind the timing.

To be fair, it's also possible that Meli was able to discern the deaths of the usurper kings from the flames and used the whole blood ritual to manipulate Stannis. This would fit with how she admitted to sometimes using smoke & mirrors as a way to lead people to the Lord's truth. Were it merely just some trick, though, I'm not sure why she would go through the trouble of tracking down Gendry in the war torn Riverlands when any ole Low Born pleb would have sufficed. It also doesn't explain why she threw in Balon, who's 'death' was a bit more abstract. Besides, would she really waste precious King's Blood on a scam?

What happens in the wake of this most recent offering of King's Blood will definitely be telling. I'm inclined to believe both her and the Lord of Light are legit at this point. Despite all the hatred and distrust Melisandre garners from fans, it's hard to point to anything she's claimed or predicted that's been inaccurate. Certainly Stannis has no reason to doubt her; everything he's gotten thus far is directly because of her.

I still wonder why Melisandre seems to always need a sacrifice of Kings Blood to work her magic, when that dude who resurrects people apparently doesn't. If I remember, his sacrifice seemed relatively minor for such a major act. Meanwhile, you got burning corpses everywhere Just for Meli to be able to do anything.

I still wonder why Melisandre seems to always need a sacrifice of Kings Blood to work her magic, when that dude who resurrects people apparently doesn't. If I remember, his sacrifice seemed relatively minor for such a major act. Meanwhile, you got burning corpses everywhere Just for Meli to be able to do anything.

I don't know for sure, but it would seem to me that resurrecting a single life versus giving someone the power to win wars and rule is a lot greater.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom