• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gregorn

I'm fine with it now but when I was reading it almost made me bail since the thread title here then was melisandre casts magic missiles and that made me think it was going Harry potter/ dnd/ lotr style magic that I haaaaaaattttte

Haha, I remember thinking the same thing.

[Series]
Do we know that it takes a lot out of Melisandre to use 'magic' during CoK? I only remember her talking about it in Dance with Dragons.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Is there a rule where if you're speculating about future events, you have to label it as such? Something like: (Non-book reader speculation) Can't wait for Syrio, headless Ned, and Melisandre's shadow to mount Dany's dragons and burn Joffrey.
There should be. I've been enjoying the other thread but I don't comment on their speculation because I don't want them spoiled either way. There was one time that I really wanted to,
the Brotherhood joke that some took seriously. I was screaming at my screen because it was so stupid
, but I held my tongue. It's not hard. I just post clarifications from within the show that some have obviously missed (like the names in Arya's prayer, who Polliver was, etc) and stupid jokes like Stannis getting upset because someone posted "my" instead of "me".

OddSpoon

Banned
I'm so confused. There is a "non-book thread"?

I've avoided discussion and Gaf GoT threads for the majority in fear of spoilers.

Korey

gyFc8l.jpg

AngryMoth

They really should have explicitly stated why she didn't want to show them the dragons, because whatever we're supposed to infer about her not wanting to show weakness, or risk them stealing them or whatever, every person watching the scene knows its due to cgi costs. I didn't know what the narrative reason was supposed to be until reading interpretations on the internet and it totally ruined the scene and just made it awkward.

LuchaShaq

Banned
They really should have explicitly stated why she didn't want to show them the dragons, because whatever we're supposed to infer about her not wanting to show weakness, or risk them stealing them or whatever, every person watching the scene knows it due to cgi costs. I didn't know what the narrative reason was supposed to be until reading interpretations on the internet and it totally ruined the scene and just made it awkward.

Yeah i think it was supposed to read as her being stubborn but the whole scene I just couldn't think of anything but cgi budget.

mf.luder

I want more Targaryen. I don't know if I would like this show more if they did it like Lost where an episode would focus on an individual. I understand the importance of the looming battles and how it has to unfold but I just want more dammit. MORE.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, which is weird since showing them now or later isn't really gonna change the chance of the Qarthians stealing the dragons, anyhow.

Pollux

prequel series
If HBO ever catches up to Martin, I would love for them to do a prequel miniseries re: Robert's Rebellion and the fall of the Targaryans.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
They really should have explicitly stated why she didn't want to show them the dragons, because whatever we're supposed to infer about her not wanting to show weakness, or risk them stealing them or whatever, every person watching the scene knows its due to cgi costs. I didn't know what the narrative reason was supposed to be until reading interpretations on the internet and it totally ruined the scene and just made it awkward.

What? Seemed to make sense to me when I watched it.

She didn't want them to be in control of the situation any more than they were.

AngryMoth

I want more Targaryen. I don't know if I would like this show more if they did it like Lost where an episode would focus on an individual. I understand the importance of the looming battles and how it has to unfold but I just want more dammit. MORE.
Unfortunately this wouldn't really work on Game of Thrones because many main characters never interact with any of the others, so instead of having Dany's story be trickled out slowly, you'd only see her at all in maybe 2 episodes of the season.

I get the complaint though, given the quality and time spent on Dany's story in season 1 I imagine non readers are pretty disappointed at her lack of screen time in the first 4 episodes.

Perhaps I'm just an inattentive viewer for not picking up on this, but I don't really see why she needed to control the situation, its not like the 13 were posing a physical threat. They've been lost in the desert for weeks, you think they'd want to just get the fuck inside without any pointless posturing. The whole time I was thinking "just show them the fucking dragons!" especially when they were about to turn her away. At the risk of repeating myself, my point is they needed a stronger narrative conceit because it was so obviously a budgetary thing that it was difficult to get that out of my head.

Yeah that's what I picked up from the scene. Seemed pretty apparent to me.

They were in complete control though. If they really wanted the dragons they could have just murdered them all, then and there.

Her dragons are very small and young, we have no indication that they are a real threat at this point. Dany even said in the scene that "when her dragons were grown, they would burn armies...".

AngryMoth

Hah, come to think of it I guess they did have a whole bunch of guards with them! I stand by my point though, I didn't get the impression that they wanted to attack them or steal the dragons, they just wanted to see them to (understandable) make sure that she wasn't BSing them. Would anyone argue that they wouldn't have let her in no further issues had she even just given them even a glimpse?

apana

Oh god, Emilia Clarke. I wouldn't even ask to see her dragons. (´・ω・`)

Also you people have some nerve complaining considering the kind of crazy special effects we got that episode.

CrunchyB

Would anyone argue that they wouldn't have let her in no further issues had she even just given them even a glimpse?

The whole scene didn't make any sense. Dany would have been turned away if not for Xaro, how retarded is that? She didn't even try to negotiate (ok, but only one of you can see them, etc).

It's sloppy and it smells like a last second rewrite. I wonder why they even bothered with the scene. Probably felt that they needed Dany to appear dominant for once.

There was also some other stuff in this episode that felt rough, like the meeting between Renly and Stannis that came out of nowhere.

KingK

They need to cut her from the show. Tired of the faux rage.

Yeah, Dany sucks as a character and all the characters around her suck. I've never really liked her storyline except for the dragons and a couple select chapters.

I'd like to see them do some Dunk & Egg movies
I still haven't read these, so I'm glad that George announced a collection of all of them as soon as the newest one comes out.

FStop7

Banned
Yeah, Dany sucks as a character and all the characters around her suck. I've never really liked her storyline except for the dragons and a couple select chapters.

I think her story has suffered the most in translation from book to show. The struggle she's been through and will continue to go through is very compelling in the books. In the show it feels more like a distraction because it's cut down so much.

There was also some other stuff in this episode that felt rough, like the meeting between Renly and Stannis that came out of nowhere.

You mean no setup to the meeting? Gutshot said that apparently there was a scene filmed about Renly being told his brother had arrived, and then he goes to meet him, but it was obviously cut. Not sure why they would have cut that scene though.

That meeting scene itself was awesome though.

I think her story has suffered the most in translation from book to show. The struggle she's been through and will continue to go through is very compelling in the books. In the show it feels more like a distraction because it's cut down so much.

I thought Dany's arc (and the characters that surrounded her) was without a doubt better in the show than the book during season 1, but she hasn't had much to do in season 2 so far (not entirely the show's fault). They could have captured the desperation of the red wastes better in the show I think.

jett

D-Member
Oh god, Emilia Clarke. I wouldn't even ask to see her dragons. (´・ω・`)

Also you people have some nerve complaining considering the kind of crazy special effects we got that episode.

What, those 20 seconds of special effects? :p HBO needs to increase the budget, because the Dany scene was honestly quite sad. It's not even in the book, I don't understand why they felt the need to shine a light on their own shortcomings. :lol

Are we allowed to talk about the books in this thread?

Yes, but you need to spoiler tag anything that hasn't happened in the show yet, and tag your spoiler with the book title.

EX:
ACOK
Hodor
ASOS
Hodor

If you are inferring or quoting about a character in a future book, just tag with "series spoiler" to not give away that characters are alive/a part of the story in a certain future book.

EX:
Series Spoiler
Hodor

Korey

Cool.

(series spoiler)
Dany's storyline is just horrible, period. I mean...I'm halfway through book five and so far across all five books like one thing has happened to her (warlock house). I kind of sigh every time I encounter a chapter of hers. I know that she's really important since everybody else seems to be leading up to her, but so far it's really lame.

Not really looking for any replies, like "it gets better!" or "keep reading!" cuz i don't want to be spoiled.

Just wanted to rant.

I can see why the show has problems dealing with her plot.

KingK

I've read all the books and I still stand by what I said. I don't harbor any malice towards her, but I'm just so apathetic to her entire scenario.

jett

D-Member
Cool.

(Halfway through book 5 DWD spoilers)
Dany's storyline is just horrible, period. I mean...I'm halfway through book five and so far across all five books like one thing has happened to her (warlock house). I kind of sigh every time I encounter a chapter of hers.

All books
I really liked her in the first 3 books. I mean she does do badass shit there, you didn't like the chapter with the slavers? In ADWD she is indeed horrible, though. I hope the show diverges as much as possible when it comes to her plotline, if it ever reaches that point.

Cool.

series spoiler
Dany's storyline is just horrible, period. I mean...I'm halfway through book five and so far across all five books like one thing has happened to her (warlock house). I kind of sigh every time I encounter a chapter of hers.

Do a spoiler referring to a specific character in future books like this instead.

If you just want to discuss the books, there is also a full book thread.All spoilers all books are welcome, unmarked.

Korey

Actually the first time they showed her in the episode was a pleasant surprise. It was super concise and I actually thought to myself, "Wow, they did a really great job keeping that nice and short."

Then came the Qarth scene.

Mission

The only part I found compelling isn't here yet.

After the death of Drogo and birth of the Dragons I think I paged scanned her chapters until just after the part we saw this week.

jett

D-Member
The only part I found compelling isn't here yet.

After the death of Drogo and birth of the Dragons I think I paged scanned her chapters until just after the part we saw this week.

Her first chapter in ACOK ends with her getting to Qarth.

Zeliard

Hah, come to think of it I guess they did have a whole bunch of guards with them! I stand by my point though, I didn't get the impression that they wanted to attack them or steal the dragons, they just wanted to see them to (understandable) make sure that she wasn't BSing them. Would anyone argue that they wouldn't have let her in no further issues had she even just given them even a glimpse?

I find the reaction to that scene pretty puzzling. You guys were seriously thinking "LOL CGI BUDGET" when watching that? That's pretty jaded, heh. Character-wise it makes enough sense why she would be stubborn as a mule and want to keep the dragons tucked away if it wasn't entirely necessary to show them then, as some show of strength, whether misguided or not. Had Xaro not let them in, you could just assume she would have given in and shown them as a last resort.

Sure, the practical reason is likely that they didn't want to (or couldn't) spend unnecessary money, but it still works fine as a character bit. It isn't like that sort of attempt to leverage a limitation is uncommon in television.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom