• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amir0x

Banned
Quaithe is an utter mystery even in the books. She has so few moments. The fact that they kept her in the show means GRRM must think she is quite important to the books narrative. So I'm actually curious about what exactly it all means in regards to that, since Quaithe was always an enigma to me.

He's a Lannister though, and she hears him talking about how to beat her brother. There's no way that any rational human being picks The Tickler over the supreme commander of the enemy forces.

A big part of Arya's story for me is how (series spoilers)
she's a powerless little girl, lost and beset by enemies from everywhere. She doesn't have the ability to defend herself to start with, but through the course of her training, she quickly becomes a player in what is happening. When you give her Tywin's head on a platter this early, that kind of undermines those themes. If Tywin dies at that point, everything changes. To give her that opportunity and have her waste it isn't a good change, IMO.

Again, you can look at it like Tywin is again talking Robb up. Complimenting him and his battle hardiness. In Arya's eyes, Robb is winning, and she is more concerned with those directly threatening her at Harrenhal. Thats the way I see it from the shows point of view...

But of course it could just be a "hey, we wrote Tywin in here... but we completely forgot about the Jaqer... uhh... fuck it who cares" moment at the writers table.

Mordeccai

Enjoyed tonights episode. My only issue with it is Arya's three wishes and Tywin being in Harrenhall, not sure how they're gonna explain that one because it doesn't make any sense for her not to kill him. My guess is that he'll probably leave before she gets her third kill, and she'll have just worked up the courage to tell Jaqen to kill him when he leaves or something to that effect.

Also, its hard for me to understand the point of view of people who are sensitive to the sex on this show, and those who have a hard time watching it with their parents. But I come from a pretty open family. When I'm away at university, my mom knows I watch this show every Sunday when it airs, so she puts it on as well. She just told me tonight (home for summer break) that she always puts it on even though she has no idea what is going on because it makes her feel connected to me. Gave me a fuzzy feeling.

Also, my little sister just ruined a song for me. Just turned off GoT, so I guess she had fantasy elements on the mind. I put on Evil Woman by Electric Light Orchestra and she started singing along, and instead of saying "Evil woman" she was singing "Medieval woman" and legitimately didn't know those weren't the right lyrics. She has forever ruined the song for me (or improved because its actually hilarious) because it sounds EXACTLY like they're saying medieval :lol

Series spoilers re: Meera and Jojen
Isn't their father, Howland Reed being set up to know something or be super important sometime soon? Yup, just checked, he's the only survivor of the Tower of Joy/rescue of Lyanna with Ned.

Series
Yeah. The series will probably get to him at some point, as he knows alot. He saved Ned with some old magic and there are strong hints the reeds are the last decedents of the children of the forest and first men.

Oh yeaaaa.
I forgot she takes Rickon right?
It's been a while since I read the books. lol I'm still only on FFC.

Don't feel too bad. I finished FFC long ago, but I haven't even read ADWD yet. I've been reading Wheel of Time from the beginning for what feels like the longest time. Maybe I'll take a break from that to read up on ADWD after this season of GoT ends.

LordCanti

Again, you can look at it like Tywin is again talking Robb up. Complimenting him and his battle hardiness. In Arya's eyes, Robb is winning, and she is more concerned with those directly threatening her at Harrenhal. Thats the way I see it from the shows point of view...

But of course it could just be a "hey, we wrote Tywin in here... but we completely forgot about the Jaqer... uhh... fuck it who cares" moment at the writers table.

She gets three though, and he didn't say "You can only give me one name at a time". She could have been all "The Tickler and uhh...Tywin, I guess" and still had an extra death wish in her back pocket for later.

I'm letting it go now. What's done is done.

Enjoyed tonights episode. My only issue with it is Arya's three wishes and Tywin being in Harrenhall, not sure how they're gonna explain that one because it doesn't make any sense for her not to kill him. My guess is that he'll probably leave before she gets her third kill, and she'll have just worked up the courage to tell Jaqen to kill him when he leaves or something to that effect.

Join the club.

She gets three though, and he didn't say "You can only give me one name at a time". She could have been all "The Tickler and uhh...Tywin, I guess" and still had an extra death wish in her back pocket for later.

I'm letting it go now. What's done is done.

I don't have a problem with her saying somebody minor first. Who is this fucking guy that thinks he can kill anyone after all? But after she sees results...?

Aggrotek

Don't feel too bad. I finished FFC long ago, but I haven't even read ADWD yet. I've been reading Wheel of Time from the beginning for what feels like the longest time. Maybe I'll take a break from that to read up on ADWD after this season of GoT ends.

For the record I love your handle.
Makes me think of: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5cOOaQ-8Ic

And yes, I need to catch up badly but, FFC is just really boring me right now...

:3 And I've never seen that video. Laughing my ass off right now.
Some of the timing is so perfect. <3 Dimmu.

Vyer

As i said before, watching the 'but it's not like the book!!!' crowd's reactions as this show continues to set its own terms is going to be painful.

Renly... :(

Though that was spoiled for me last season. I was surprised it happened so soon though. Now just to wait for the other two deaths I know about.

KingK

Uh, you people realize that Arya could have had Jaqen kill Tywin in the books as well, right? She even considers it, iirc. It's not a show plot hole. She can have him kill anyone, not "anyone here at Harrenhall."

"A man does not fly like a bird, but one foot moves and then another, and one day a man is there, and a king dies."

Also, I'm kinda bummed that it looks like they're completely writing the Reeds out of the show. I really liked them as characters.

1stStrike

Banned
Whoa. End of episode 4 was even freakier than I thought it would be.

I think having kids has just been pushed back a few more years.

Zeliard

Thought the stuff with Arya and the "three wishes" assassin was quite fun, as someone who hasn't yet read the books. Kinda makes me glad I haven't yet since people seem pretty upset about it, heh. Large part of the benefit in going into the show essentially blind is that differences with the books becomes completely irrelevant, and you can enjoy the show on its own terms.

And Renly's death was a neat surprise. Shame we had people in the other thread going on about a "shadow assassin" and I think one even "predicted" that he'd go directly after Renly. Uh huh.

LordCanti

Uh, you people realize that Arya could have had Jaqen kill Tywin in the books as well, right? She even considers it, iirc. It's not a show plot hole. She can have him kill anyone, not "anyone here at Harrenhall."

"A man does not fly like a bird, but one foot moves and then another, and one day a man is there, and a king dies."

Also, I'm kinda bummed that it looks like they're completely writing the Reeds out of the show. I really liked them as characters.

(ACOK)
Did she know who Tywin was in the book? It's been too long. I can understand the rationale that someone else mentioned of "she picked people that were immediately endangering her well being", but that's ignoring the fact that the person behind the entire war effort is sitting right there, being served water by her. In the books it's easier to go "well, she could have named Cersei and Joffrey, but these crazy people were murdering people in Harrenhal and she had to do something."
Edit:Good call. Sorry about that.

Whoa. End of episode 4 was even freakier than I thought it would be.

I think having kids has just been pushed back a few more years.

What? You don't want fratricidal offspring?

They should've had that be a cliffhanger last week.

Yeah, I loved how they ended it last week, and maybe it's more about how the scene was shot than it's location at the end of last episode or the beginning of this one, but I feel now that it might have worked better at the end of last episode. Really liked the conversation of the Stark and Baratheon alliance and then of course have it crumble to pieces in a matter of seconds. I was never huge Team Renly, but more so in the show, and it really reaffirms that I don't like Stannis much at all.

As for the rest of the episode, quality stuff as usual, but it felt like it took a bit of pacing step backwards after last weeks very intense episode, but I think that was simply because of having a lot of Dany stuff, but it set up a lot of stuff nicely. The Night's Watch stuff was great. Very cool shot of Ghost standing on top of a little mound as the men arrived at the Fist of the First Men. Small book complaint of the Halfhand not commenting about getting Ghost as an attribute if Jon came with him.

I loved Ayra talking about Robb, so good. "They call him The Young Wolf."

As for the Reeds, based on recent comments in an interview from D&D about book 2 characters just getting pushed back, I think there is a solid chance that the Reeds will be in the show, but not until next season.

Ok I need a quick recap of what happened in the book at this part and what has changed because I fuckin forgot.

Clash spoilers:
Who is the tickler in the book?
Does Tywin ever show up at Harrenhal for an extended period of time? Makes no sense that Arya wouldn't use her first kill on Tywin in the show.
Who does Arya choose to kill first in the book?

No Sword spoilers please, I'm not far into it at all. Thanks.

-Tickler is the same guy in the books. He was torturing the captured group (last episode in the TV show). In the book though, he does not die as Ayra/Jaqen's first hit.
-Tywin is in Harrenhal for the first halfish of the book if I recall correctly, but Ayra never interacts with him. ACOK spoilers
He leaves the castle to chase Robb into the Westerlands after Robb destroys the army at Oxcross (the battle he won at the beginning of last episode). Later, when Ayra is thinking of a third person for Jaqen to kill, she regrets not naming Tywin or Amory Lorch, as she made rather selfish choices to have killed instead of ones that could have helped the North in the war.
-ACOK spoilers
Her first choice in the book is a solider named Chiswyck (one of the Mountain's men) because she overheard him boasting about participating in a gang rape.

nib95

Banned
Great episode. I was starting to feel it was losing steam but this episode added a bit of spring back in to it all. Excited for the next! Also, can't believe it, no over the top sex scene. Probably another reason the episode felt more mature.

I lurk over there and sometimes I wonder if some of them have read the books...

It is a seriously dick move if they do. I have posted a few times, but only to clarify points where people are confused about the show and the like.

I have to restrain myself from other comments, with the knowledge that the books don't exist. It is tempting to give them clarity on certain issues, but if they want it they can come here.

edit: Also, where was the fucking half hand?
Practical effects are cheap you know!

Tiktaalik

The Tickler and his buddies were randomly killing peasants before Tywin showed up. Tywin is the only guy providing any sort of order in Harenhall and if she kills him it's likely that she'll be raped and killed along with all the other peasants.

Finally got around to watching last weeks episode and found something strange. Did they totally change the order of when Melisandre births the shadow assassin? I seem to remember her doing that after her first shadow assassin kills Renly.

there is a no book spoiler thread. If you haven't read the books, you really should be in there. It's inevitable in the book readers topic that sometimes there will be overspill, Moaradin. Just a heads up, you're taking a risk.

I can't help if you can't follow the rules of the thread:

Please keep in mind that many viewers haven't read the books and will be new to the ASoIaF series. As such, please spoiler tag any plot points that haven't aired yet on HBO and label what book you're discussing. This includes book spoilers as well as promos and teasers that HBO has released for upcoming episodes. Also note that mentioning a specific character in a specific book confirms that they're still alive at that point, so please do not do this.

Too bad you aren't a mod, you could police yourself.

Finally got around to watching last weeks episode and found something strange.
Did they totally change the order of when Melisandre births the shadow assassin? I seem to remember her doing that after her first shadow assassin kills Renly.
They combined Renly's death and
the shadow birth scene at Storm's End into one event.

KingK

Finally got around to watching last weeks episode and found something strange. Did they totally change the order of when Melisandre births the shadow assassin? I seem to remember her doing that after her first shadow assassin kills Renly.

They cut out the whole second event and just merged them so that they wouldn't have to show Storm's End.

It kinda creates a plot hole, since in the book the whole reason she has to have Davos smuggle her underneath Storm's End is because it's such an old castle and has enchantments that would keep the shadow out. Not a huge deal though, and I'm sure it won't really occur to TV only viewers.

Vespene

You know... (ASOS)
All those people complaining about Arya not getting to kill the Tickler miss the point of that scene when she does. Yeah, it was powerful in the book to see her go berserk, but Polliver was the guy she punctuated that whole scene with. If she still gets Polliver with Needle next season, its fine.

suzu

I lurk over there and sometimes I wonder if some of them have read the books...

I'm more perplexed at why those who can't remember which events happened in the book or show continue to post their thoughts there. They just end up bringing up things that never occurred in the show.

They cut out the whole second event and just merged them so that they wouldn't have to show Storm's End.

It kinda creates a plot hole, since in the book the whole reason she has to have Davos smuggle her underneath Storm's End is because it's such an old castle and has enchantments that would keep the shadow out. Not a huge deal though, and I'm sure it won't really occur to TV only viewers.

But don't they go to Storm's End to get
Robert's bastard son?

Is that how it happened?

Probably would've been more effective that way. I do recall it being a lot more surprising in the book, the whole shadow thing seemed to come from nowhere.

What I'm interesting in seeing: ACOK spoilers
Stannis' delayed siege of Storms End, which finally cumulates in the shadow attack is what creates the large time gap between Renly's death and Stannis actually launching his attack on Kings Landing. Assuming that is cut in the show, what will create that gap in the show?

Lol at Rickon tonight.

The 'Inside the Episode' tonight gives some interesting insight into some of the reasons why D&D aged up Margaery in the show. A couple of interesting statements.

The preview for next weeks episode looks incredible.

[/SPOILER]
They combined Renly's death and
the shadow birth scene at Storm's End into one event.

Yeah, if I remember the book correctly the birthing scene comes
prior to the death of the lord whos land Renly and his troops were stationed on
or something along those lines.

Loofy

In the book didnt renly
Have his armor on? so it made it even more supernatural that the shadow sliced through his armor like butter

Interesting thing that I just though of. Tonight's episode mixed with ACOK spoilers
I thought it was great that they had Bran make a clear decision to send away the men that would have been able to defend against Theon's attack on Winterfell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom