• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK

Ok, so (ASOS)
since the Tickler was killed, I guess they'll have to have Arya kill someone else in the Inn with the Hound. Kinda disappointed though, because that moment is in my top 5 in the entire series, and a lot of it is because of her dialogue while stabbing him. "Is there gold in the village? Gems? Where is Lord Beric? Are you hiding him?"

Overall a pretty good episode. The pacing felt really good again, like last week's. Arya continues to be great.

Forkball

This episode was too fragmented to be coherent. This is one of those episodes that would be best viewed in a back-to-back viewing when the Blu-Ray comes out, as a stand alone it was really disjointed and with no consistent thematic.

Love Arya scenes, but fuck @ The Ticker wtf. Also love Brienne/Cat scene. Also lol @ that being the time they use the CG for dragons. Would have been better spent at the doors of Qarth!

They have to balance shadow monster/dragon CGI. This week didn't have that much of the shadow monster, so the CGI budget was thrown at a dragon BBQ scene.

LordCanti

Quote of the night (potentially not verbatim): "Our order doesn't deal in pigshit!" It's like they got that old man right off the set of Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

The CG on the dragons was fantastic, but I was a bit underwhelmed with the shadow scene. I wanted to actually get a look at it, but that didn't happen. Everything else was fantastic though, from Asha making Theon her bitch, to Dany (Ohmigod Hot) on Jorah tension and everything in-between. The scenes on the fist were especially visually breathtaking.

I'm not going to get over (ACOK)
Arya not having Tywin killed when given the option, though it's obvious why since it didn't happen in the book
but I did enjoy the back and forth between the two. The guy that plays Jaqen is fantastic and I hope there's a lot more scenes featuring him to come.

It was a great episode overall.

ezrarh

I haven't watched the episode yet, but Tickler is dead?

So you complain about memles mentioning there were no tits in this episode and now are reading this thread even though you haven't watched it yet?

Anyway, I thought that episode was fine, it did well to move the story forward but it's not something I would judge individually since it didn't really have any coherency between the scenes. Although I do expect book readers to complain about some of the changes they've done.

jett

D-Member
BTW...And am I misremembering or isn't it pretty much stated in ACOK
that Xaro is gay? Seems he's decidedly not in the show after he talked about a dead wife. Guess that could have been a lie

Puddles

Banned
So I'm guessing that The Tickler is dead.

Fantastic. Now it's finally confirmed once and for all that these showrunners have no fucking clue what made the book series what it was.

If you don't know what I'm talking about, you're not being spoiled. Book readers know what I'm on about.

Fuck this train, I'm off.

Kwhit10

Ok, so (ASOS)
since the Tickler was killed, I guess they'll have to have Arya kill someone else in the Inn with the Hound. Kinda disappointed though, because that moment is in my top 5 in the entire series, and a lot of it is because of her dialogue while stabbing him. "Is there gold in the village? Gems? Where is Lord Beric? Are you hiding him?"

Overall a pretty good episode. The pacing felt really good again, like last week's. Arya continues to be great.

Yea I'm pretty pissed about that as that is definitely one of the best scenes in the entire series.

LordCanti

So you complain about memles mentioning there were no tits in this episode and now are reading this thread even though you haven't watched it yet?

Anyway, I thought that episode was fine, it did well to move the story forward but it's not something I would judge individually since it didn't really have any coherency between the scenes. Although I do expect book readers to complain about some of the changes they've done.

Wow...there really weren't any tits, were there?

Darn the costume designers and their decision not to have her boob out in the Qartheen dress.

It was actually quite refreshing though.

KingK

that Xaro is gay? Seems he's decidedly not in the show after he talked about a dead wife. Guess that could have been a lie

No you're remembering right, but in the episode (COK)
Didn't he just say "I married once for love, and that ended badly" or something? I don't remember him specifically mentioning a wife. But yeah, the books made it pretty clear that he was gay.

Not sure if that really needs to be spoilered, but just in case.

Content roundup:
2M2KB.jpg

Reviews:
- Onion A|V Club
- Sepinwall
- Televisionary
- WiC.net
- memles
- Maureen Ryan
- Westeros.org
- EW.com

HBO vids:
- Inside the Episode
- Preview for next week's episode (please spoiler tag any discussion)

Puddles

Banned

Yes. Memles should not be pulling bullshit stunts like that. Good for him that he bamboozled his way into getting early screeners. We shouldn't have to get spoiled reading this thread because some second-rate blogger posts here.

aceface

The only thing I didn't like is the way the wildfire was handled. That was Tyrions idea in the book. Taking the initial idea away from him softens his character a little too much. Granted he later decides to use it anyways, but still....

Also on the wildfire (Acok and SoS spoilers)
in the book, it was scattered around the city, the mad king had put it everywhere as he planned to burn the city down rather than let it be taken. "let him be king of ashes and charred bones" or somesuch. thus when Jamie killed him it saved the city from being burned. By having the wildfire being made and not just found in huge vaults across the city it takes something away from that Jamie moment later.

Other stuff, I loved. Danny's scenes were great, didnt mind the changes here at all. Looks like she might be going to the house of the undying! Also a Quaithe sighting! Loved the margerey and Littlefinger scene. Looooooved it.... (BIG ASS STORM OF SWORDS SPOILER DONT CLICK)
because it's setting up the foreshadowing of Joffreys death. Margerery wants to be THE queen, she ain't going to take Joffreys shit. Love it!

They changed it,
he's not gay anymore.
The actor mentioned that in some interview I read.

I'm okay with this interpretation, TV Xaro is way more interesting and charismatic than the book version.

aceface

On Arya having the tickler killed...SoS spoilers
for the later killing with the hound they could pick any number of villains for that scene. I'm sure they thought of it. I'm not that bothered, it's good to get that payoff now.

Thought this episode was great. I cant wait for next weeks, each episode gets better and better and more intense. What happened to
the Tickler was awesome, cant wait to see who else Arya chooses. The Cat/Brienne scene was great too, I would love her by my side. I cant stand Theon anymore, ever since he went home, I hate that he turned on Rob and Winterfell, I hope Rob kills him himself.
Tyrion is still my favorite and the best character on the show by far.

CrankyJay

Banned
Wow, so Roy Dotrice, the guy who voiced several of the audio books for this series played the pyromancer. Love it.

Great episode in my opinion.

I really enjoyed that episode. I felt before this one that reading the books ruined the TV series for me because I was becoming obsessed with (shitty) changes but this last episode finally started pulling things together in way that's made me forget how much I hated how fast the producers are speeding through everything.

Season saved!

Meier

Great episode. They fucking nailed Pyat Pree.. so creepy.

Who gives a shit about The Tickler? Enjoy the show people.

The only thing I didn't like is the way the wildfire was handled. That was Tyrions idea in the book. Taking the initial idea away from him softens his character a little too much. Granted he later decides to use it anyways, but still....

in the book, it was scattered around the city, the mad king had put it everywhere as he planned to burn the city down rather than let it be taken. "let him be king of ashes and charred bones" or somesuch. thus when Jamie killed him it saved the city from being burned. By having the wildfire being made and not just found in huge vaults across the city it takes something away from that Jamie moment later.

They made it in the books too.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Ok I need a quick recap of what happened in the book at this part and what has changed because I fuckin forgot.

Clash spoilers:
Who is the tickler in the book?
Does Tywin ever show up at Harrenhal for an extended period of time? Makes no sense that Arya wouldn't use her first kill on Tywin in the show.
Who does Arya choose to kill first in the book?

No Sword spoilers please, I'm not far into it at all. Thanks.

Awesome to see Roy Dotrice as Hallyne. The scenes beyond the wall looked amazing, really great to see the fist of the first men. I imagined it being a lot smaller/lower to the ground in my head. Brienne fighting the soldiers in Renly's tent was brutal

Forkball

Qarth in general seems weird as hell. A creepy bald guy invites Dany to house of the undying (seems legit) and a masked chick wanders around and talks to strangers with no one noticing. Also secret vaults and impromptu marriage proposals.

Also it must suck to be Davos.

Stannis: Here's my insane plan.
Davos: Uh, that's kind of a bad idea...
Stannis: Are you questioning my loyalty?
Davos: No, but...
Stannis: Good. Now listen as I administer you this shitty task.

aceface

Qarth in general seems weird as hell. A creepy bald guy invites Dany to house of the undying (seems legit) and a masked chick wanders around and talks to strangers with no one noticing. Also secret vaults and impromptu marriage proposals.

Hahahaha yeah that's pretty much the Stannis/Davos relationship in a nutshell

Meier

haha, great synopsis of their conversation.

SoS spoilers
yeah I know, but it would be nice if they mentioned that there was huge vaults of the stuff all around the city.
ASOS spoilers
That's not necessary, they established that enough of it would be sufficient to destroy the city, and that Aerys loved the stuff. They did everything they needed to set up future plot points.

Puddles

Banned

Who gives a shit about The Tickler? Enjoy the show people.

(series)
The Tickler had one of the top 5 (probably top 3) deaths in the series. I hope to fuck they have some plan to replace the impact of that scene. That is THE transitional scene for Arya.

(series)
The Tickler had one of the top 5 (probably top 3) deaths in the series. I hope to fuck they have some plan to replace the impact of that scene. That is THE transitional scene for Arya.
ASOS spoilers.
By season 3/4, most of the audience probably would have been wondering who was the hell the guy Arya just killed. They used the character while he was still fresh in people's minds, I think it works well this way.

Lothar

Banned
No one's complaining about the Theon scene? (big CoK spoiler)
Did I see it wrong or did that guy give him the idea to invade Winterfell? Also, does this mean we don't get to see him kill Benfred Tallhart? I think that's important because you need to see what he's capable of doing before he takes Winterfell. Plus it makes his men gain respect for him.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
(ACoK/ASoS spoilers)
They actually did foreshadow that particular development this episode, with Tyrion commenting on their having enough to burn the whole city down, which has a lot more meaning than just being a cautionary measure for those who have read up to Jaime's side of the story.

Loved the margerey and Littlefinger scene. Looooooved it.... (BIG ASS STORM OF SWORDS SPOILER DONT CLICK)
because it's setting up the foreshadowing of Joffreys death. Margerery wants to be THE queen, she ain't going to take Joffreys shit. Love it!
(aCoK and SoS spoilers)
At this point in the story, Margery's comment about being "THE Queen" didn't denote any feelings towards Joffrey at all, since I don't believe she knows about his behavior yet. If anything, I got the impression that to non-book readers, it would seem like she's intent on either: a)Winning the throne herself in the name of House Tyrell, or b) Becoming Joffrey's queen, which would entail something unfortunate happening to Sansa.

aceface

(series)

I disagree...(series spoilers)
Top 3??? You are insane man I can think of 8 bigger deaths off of the top of my head and Arya is well gone by that point. It wouldn't have the same impact anyways, that moment will probably come in the 4th season, so it would be a guy who appeared in a scene for 5 minutes two seasons ago. Better to get that payoff now when the character is still fresh in the viewers mind. They can find another villain for her to kill and it will have a similar impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom