• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kud Dukan

ASOS spoilers.
By season 3/4, most of the audience probably would have been wondering who was the hell the guy Arya just killed. They used the character while he was still fresh in people's minds, I think it works well this way.

Yeah I agree.
Using him now while people actually know who he is was probably a good idea. His death at the hands of Arya was very important though, so they'll have to find a suitable replacement.

aceface

(ACoK/ASoS spoilers)
They actually did foreshadow that particular development this episode, with Tyrion commenting on their having enough to burn the whole city down, which has a lot more meaning than just being a cautionary measure for those who have read up to Jaime's side of the story.

Good point.
(aCoK and SoS spoilers)
At this point in the story, Margery's comment about being "THE Queen" didn't denote any feelings towards Joffrey at all, since I don't believe she knows about his behavior yet. If anything, I got the impression that to non-book readers, it would seem like she's intent on either: a)Winning the throne herself in the name of House Tyrell, or b) Becoming Joffrey's queen, which would entail something unfortunate happening to Sansa.

Yeah (big SOS spoiler)
I didn't mean that in the literal sense that she's plotting to kill Joffrey now, just that it's an insight into Margery's character that is going to delightfully pay off in the killing of Joffrey. I'm just really looking forward to that moment haha

scosher

No one's complaining about the Theon scene? (big CoK spoiler)
Did I see it wrong or did that guy give him the idea to invade Winterfell? Also, does this mean we don't get to see him kill Benfred Tallhart? I think that's important because you need to see what he's capable of doing before he takes Winterfell. Plus it makes his men gain respect for him.

Theon needed a push. He can't go from almost writing a letter to Robb warning him of betrayal, then invade Winterfell on his own volition.

I thought the episode was overall slow, but it's setting up future episodes nicely. Loved Pyat Pree and Qhorin.

I thought the episode was overall slow, but it's setting up future episodes nicely. Loved Pyat Pree and Qhorin.

ACOK Spoiler:
I cannot WAIT until the House of the Undying. Just that little bit with Pyat Pree made me giddy that the whole thing is gonna be trippy as hell.

Lothar

Banned
Theon needed a push. He can't go from almost writing a letter to Robb warning him of betrayal, then invade Winterfell on his own volition.

Sure, he can. He wants to prove himself to his father and his sister. That's all the push that's needed. He should be a straight up villain in the next few episodes, one that you want to see die. Getting the idea instead of coming up with it himself takes away from his character in my opinion

I'm pretty sure Jojen and Meera will never show up now. They are seemingly unnecessary thanks to Osha's expanded role and Bran now getting Jojen's dreams.

NewLib

Banned
I'm pretty sure Jojen and Meera will never show up now. They are seemingly unnecessary thanks to Osha's expanded role and Bran now getting Jojen's dreams.

Series Spoilers:
To be honest, that might be for the best. While I thought the Reeds were interesting early, they seem to be rather pointless by ADWD. Unles GRRM has some grand plans for them..

Apath

I can't believe people find the Tickler thing such a big deal. (ASOS)
I didn't even remember that Arya killed him.

aceface

Apparently someone asked GRRM about the Reeds at a book signing and he said that they were delaying those characters, take it for what it's worth.

Amir0x

Banned
Great episode. They fucking nailed Pyat Pree.. so creepy.

Who gives a shit about The Tickler? Enjoy the show people.

It's part of a larger systemic problem with the way they're playing Arya's story. They're really dismantling much of the bite in her transformation, and it's disheartening. They've nailed many storylines and then nailed Arya's story in season 1, but season 2 is all sorts of going wrong for what they're doing and taking out of her journey.

The Ticker scene as it occurs in the books is such a perfect payoff, and as any good show or book knows, letting a character actually build to a moment makes a payoff infinitely more satisfying. Let alone how Arya did it - which was all sorts of memorable in its own right. And it just so happens it was a big part of Arya's character growth.

Now what are they going to throw in there?
A random kill? Will Arya get her timeless lines of revenge? Will it show the monster she has become in the same light?
I think not.

The show is quite good but when it's wrong, it's wrong.

Then you have a shit memory. Blame yourself or God.

LordCanti

Series Spoilers:
To be honest, that might be for the best. While I thought the Reeds were interesting early, they seem to be rather pointless by ADWD. Unles GRRM has some grand plans for them..

Series spoilers:
Isn't Meera basically Bran's love interest, or am I remembering incorrectly? I guess they could replace her with the (much older) Osha but...mmm... If that love goes anywhere (in a decade when the next book is finally out) it will be awkward for the show. Then again...Bran's actor will be an adult at that point..

Apparently someone asked GRRM about the Reeds at a book signing and he said that they were delaying those characters, take it for what it's worth.

I guess he could (Series Spoilers)
meet them beyond the wall or something much later.

It's part of a larger systemic problem with the way they're playing Arya's story. They're really dismantling much of the bite in her transformation, and it's disheartening. They've nailed many storylines and then nailed Arya's story in season 1, but season 2 is all sorts of going wrong for what they're doing and taking out of her journey.

The Ticker scene as it occurs in the books is such a perfect payoff, and as any good show or book knows, letting a character actually build to a moment makes a payoff infinitely more satisfying. Let alone how Arya did it - which was all sorts of memorable in its own right. And it just so happens it was a big part of Arya's character growth.

Now what are they going to throw in there? A random kill? Will Arya get her timeless lines of revenge? Will it show the monster she has become in the same light? I think not.

The show is quite good but when it's wrong, it's wrong.

Then you have a shit memory. Blame yourself or God.
I would spoiler some of that. You are giving too much away even if you aren't getting specific.

Moaradin

This thread has way too many spoilers. Haven't read the books, but this episode was great. Maybe my favorite in the series so far.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
This thread has way too many spoilers. Haven't read the books, but this episode was great. Maybe my favorite in the series so far.

There's a spoiler free thread for those who haven't read the books. No covered spoilers or anything.

Moaradin

there is a no book spoiler thread. If you haven't read the books, you really should be in there. It's inevitable in the book readers topic that sometimes there will be overspill, Moaradin. Just a heads up, you're taking a risk.

But there is already a thread specifically for book spoilers, isn't there? This thread used to just have general GoT discussion but now it's almost exclusively book spoilers. It sucks because the no book thread doesn't have many discussions other than the night it airs.

Amir0x

Banned
But there is already a thread specifically for book spoilers, isn't there? This thread used to just have general GoT discussion but now it's almost exclusively book spoilers.

This thread is for book readers. The implication being that there will obviously be talk after each episode about how things were similar and different to the way they were handled in the book. If you want to be indignant about it that's fine, but it is then your fault and not anyone else's when you are spoilered.

I didn't find this episode to be as strong as the others. Felt more transitional with 90% of the characters. Arya stuff was great, though. Renly was pretty good, not great in execution.

Dotrice cameo was pretty cool.

One question, with Clash Spoilers
With her expanded proximity and relation to Tywin Lannister, what is the justification going to be for her not thinking about having him killed? Gregor I get, they can just say he is gone. Maybe they will do the same for Tywin?

Amir0x

Banned
I was just saying that I didn't even remember it -- I wasn't justifying the first part with it. No need to be an ass to someone on the internet over a silly television show.

Blame yourself or God is a line from Final Fantasy Tactics. Thought it was obvious I was joking :/

ASOS
Polliver will be fine, along with some randoms. The Hound says- those are Gregor's men. Cunts! And Polliver will have needle. No need for the Tickler, and it works better in the series as is, as others have pointed out

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Blame yourself or God is a line from Final Fantasy Tactics. Thought it was obvious I was joking :/

I've never played Final Fantasy Tactics. lol even though it wasn't directed at me, I read it and thought it was kinda douchey. Hahahah

Series spoilers re: Meera and Jojen
Isn't their father, Howland Reed being set up to know something or be super important sometime soon? Yup, just checked, he's the only survivor of the Tower of Joy/rescue of Lyanna with Ned.

I'm not going to get over (ACOK)
Arya not having Tywin killed when given the option, though it's obvious why since it didn't happen in the book

This works in the show because essentially Tywin hasn't necessarily done anything to Arya that has put him on the top of her shit list. Hell, he even talks up Robb in front of her.

Also, it is entirely possible that she doesn't quite know who he is exactly.

jett

D-Member
Tickler death doesn't bother me in the slightest, actually I thought he got killed by Jaqen :lol Definitely a good move to kill him now rather than later when the audience has forgotten who he is. He wasn't even named last episode, he just wasn't as memorable as he was in the book frankly.

LordCanti

This works in the show because essentially Tywin hasn't necessarily done anything to Arya that has put him on the top of her shit list. Hell, he even talks up Robb in front of her.

Also, it is entirely possible that she doesn't quite know who he is exactly.

He's a Lannister though, and she hears him talking about how to beat her brother. There's no way that any rational human being picks The Tickler over the supreme commander of the enemy forces.

A big part of Arya's story for me is how (series spoilers)
she's a powerless little girl, lost and beset by enemies from everywhere. She doesn't have the ability to defend herself to start with, but through the course of her training, she quickly becomes a player in what is happening. When you give her Tywin's head on a platter this early, that kind of undermines those themes. If Tywin dies at that point, everything changes. To give her that opportunity and have her waste it isn't a good change, IMO.

jett

D-Member
lolz at people being mad/sad about renly on twitter, someone even complained that he was killed right after the show made you think about a robb/renly alliance. ahuahuahauha

KingK

How can you not remember that? That moment is in my top 5 of the entire series, and just as memorable to me as Ned's death, imo, and I can't see how it'll feel the same without (ASOS)
the Tickler being there and Arya's dialogue while killing him.

you guys should play Final Fantasy Tactics. It's a pretty good game! Overrated but good!

Have you heard of or played the Insane Difficulty 1.3 mod of FFT yet? It'll wipe that overrated right out of your mouth.

Does it feel to anyone else that they've been tight with the episode budget this season? I hope that's because they're hoarding all their big bucks for the ILM + WETA produced House of the Undying season finale.
I loved the first season of the show, but each episode of season two just seems to grate on me more and more. ACoK
Replacing Roose Bolton with Tywin, marring the ambiguity that was supposed to come from Melisandre's shadow-child and RUMORED relations with Stannis - it's just becoming hard for me to swallow.
Luckily, Tyrion's portrayal continues to make up for the accompanying BS.
ACOK + ASOS spoilers
I thought Tywin was at Harrenhal first or are you talking about Ayra not being Tywin's cup girl then? I doesn't mean that Roose won't show up and Ayra won't be in the same position it just means that the producers didn't want to bother with her Mouse persona.

I loved the first season of the show, but each episode of season two just seems to grate on me more and more. ACoK
Replacing Roose Bolton with Tywin, marring the ambiguity that was supposed to come from Melisandre's shadow-child and RUMORED relations with Stannis - it's just becoming hard for me to swallow.

Oh, and does anyone have any clue who was the masked woman talking to Jorah? I can't remember anyone like that from ACoK.

These are very minor annoyances in the scheme of the series. Remember, this is an adaptation. There will be creative liberties taken.

Quaithe. She is described as having a lacquer mask in the book, so not what I was expecting in the costume regard.

Look, they are two separate things. Cut the cord. It is fun to compare, contrast, and nitpick the casting, changes and their future implications, etc. Your options are either have just the books, or the books and a show that takes liberties (out of choice and necessity) with the material.

Series Spoilers.
I was really looking forward to Jojen :( Damn it. I really don't like Osha all that much and it won't make sense in the later seasons, doesn't Osha die?

I wholeheartedly agree.

Series
No. She takes Rickon to Skagos, but hasn't been seen since Clash.

Aggrotek

Series Spoilers.
I was really looking forward to Jojen :( Damn it. I really don't like Osha all that much and it won't make sense in the later seasons, doesn't Osha die?

I wholeheartedly agree.

LordCanti

Oh, and does anyone have any clue who was the masked woman talking to Jorah? I can't remember anyone like that from ACoK.

I forget her name, but she shows up (series spoilers)
in front of Dany and some others it seems, to give prophecies that generally come true.

Edit: Yeah, Quaithe.

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
I'm glad I have a bad memory. It's been 12 years since I read A Clash of Kings, so these changes don't bother me. Also, I can't believe people are pissed about Renly.

Apath

How can you not remember that? That moment is in my top 5 of the entire series, and just as memorable to me as Ned's death, imo, and I can't see how it'll feel the same without (ASOS)
the Tickler being there and Arya's dialogue while killing him.
I just didn't see it as a big deal. (ASOS)
She simply killed one of the many people who has done awful things. That's all it was to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom