• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The silent sisters weren't shown were they? Anyone who hasn't read the books will just think Ned's bones were abandoned.

The Silent Sisters brought Ned's bones in to Cat's tent, but I don't believe it was ever said or shown that they were to take them to Winterfell.

KingK

The Reeds may still appear. I recall reading an interview with Benioff and Weiss about how S2 just introduced too many characters that they had to push some of the introductions to S3. (ACOK)
And I don't think it makes too much of a difference if Bran meets up with the Reeds after he's fled Winterfell, or while still there. I think I'm more upset that they haven't casted Reek, afaik.

Also, regarding Jon's storyline (ACOK question)
Are they speeding up his story, cause I thought he doesn't meet up with Ygritte until the very end of CoK? Maybe they'll also include the prologue from SOS this season in the finale

I hope they do introduce the Reeds because I think they're awesome, but with Bran having the vision of the sea this episode, it seems like they've removed any plot importance of having them on the show.

Regarding Jon (ACOK)
Jon does meet Yggrite when he kills Oryll (or whatever that hawk warg's name is) at the lookout spot on the mountain. He's told to kill her, but he lets her go. Later, at the end after Jon kills Halfhand, Ygritte is with Rattleshirt's party and vouches for Jon to let him defect to the Wildlings.

Another great episode. Harrenhal scenes were perfect, Tickler was killed when he was still fresh in people's mind. Great change. Qarth with Doreah, Daenerys and Irri, three hot women playing with dragons. Can't get any better than that.

The one point of criticism is that some storylines are rushed in the show. Book 1 had a few seperate storylines but now the story is branching out and 55 minutes is not enough to give every character enough time to develop. Luckily book 3 will get two seasons.

PS. no nudity so hopefully no whining this week which will be refreshing. Or maybe people will start whining about changes from the book again.

Zabka

Looks like the shadow assassin actually was a shadow on the wall that draws its sword in the interactive features. Worked fine as it is though.

Another great episode. Harrenhal scenes were perfect, Tickler was killed when he was still fresh in people's mind. Great change.

Agreed, the change suits the format. The Ticker's death in the novels is a great scene but there's no way it would have worked well on the show, even if, as suggested above, a 'previously on Game of Thrones' would have been used. The character isn't given enough screen-time for audience members to recall him at a whim, and have to many characters to follow as it is. The change ensures Arya is still 'taking revenge' against obvious targets without the need for excessive focus on or backstory during her scenes.

It's also not the first time the show-runners have killed off a character that has a notable role in a 'main characters' development later on. Series spoiler:
The singer Marillion, who plays a part in the death of Lysa in ASoS is the bard whose tongue is ripped out by Joffrey in season one, ep 10 - ensuring, unlike in the novels, he won't be able to haunt Sansa through music in AFFC.

There's a lot of good actors (you forgot Varys), but Arya puts them all to shame.

I guess everyone's entitled to their opinion...

You also forgot Catelyn [Michelle Fairley].

Loras looks a lot hotter this season. It's the hair and the better armour.

From this:
gotimg3.jpg

To this:
loras-tyrell.jpg

Zeliard

No, just no. Arya is decent for a child actor, but that's it.

Maisie Williams is pretty great in the role, regardless of whether or not she's a child actor. Don't hate. :p

Having said that, Charles Dance just makes it look easy. He gives such a smooth, effortless performance. I wish he'd appear in more scenes, but now that he's tied up with Arya's subplot, we should hopefully see more of him.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I think she's more than a good child actor, I think she's a genuinely good actress. But I do think her abilities are still overstated by many around here.

Arment

Yeah...I think love for Arya's story in the book is clouding minds.

I think she's a high quality child actor. She shows a lot of promise. But Arya doesn't put anyone to shame on the show.

Loras looks a lot hotter this season. It's the hair and the better armour.

From this:
gotimg3.jpg

To this:
loras-tyrell.jpg

I agree that he looks a lot better. He also looks bigger, at least around the face. That may just be an optical illusion as we haven't seen him mostly naked this season.

And for the above,
I thought it looked like Stannis. Not obviously, but definitely recognizably if you were looking for it. It is a shadow, so you can't get all of the detail.

Gruco

Banned
Comments on last night:

Overall, I thought it wasn't as good as episode 4. Probably because it was a little more jumpy, but episode 4 was really good in general.

Tywin/Arya scene was pretty great. I suppose because it did a nice subtle job of showing that Tyin can tell that Arya's very smart, though that might just be me projecting.

Brienne/Cat was another strong scene. Don't know how much there is to say beyond that, but they again demonstrated the mutual respect between the characters. I've grown to really like the actress who plays Catelyn this season. Cat carries a lot of emotional weight this season and she really pulls it off.

I like the way the episode opened with Renly's offer of friendship right before he dies. He was more overtly nice than in the books even, which punctuates the tragedy nicely.

Pyat Pree was creepy and cool. I did absolutely not expect to see Quaithe show up at all.

Like many, I am concerned with Arya picking the tickler and the implications it has on one of the best scenes in the series. I tried not to get too caught up in divergences, as they are inevitable and often well done, but this one really worries me. Either HBO doesn't get the importance of that scene or they have a secret, awesome plan B. Hopefully it's the latter.

Vespene

I guess they won't split Rickon and Osha from Bran and Hodor now. That may not be bad since it would make Rickon somwhat more relevant.[/spoiler]

If they split them up, we won't see him again till The Winds of Winter. That's like 5 seasons down the line. They could recast the kid if he isn't available.

tmdorsey

Love the episode. Not too concerned about Arya picking Tickler has the first death. The show has plenty of other characters and material to make Arya's "turning point".

The only thing I kinda had a problem with was as other mentioned Arya being in such close contact with Tywin does indeed leave the opening for it to look silly for her name him as one of the 3 deaths. On this I do like the point that he hasn't really done anything to her directly, and probably doesn't like much of a threat to her or the North as he's losing the war. Also people tend to forget that she is still a young girl. You can make a good case that she probably just didn't think about the strategic advantages of killing him at the moment.

CrankyJay

Banned
Love the episode. Not too concerned about Arya picking Tickler has the first death. The show has plenty of other characters and material to make Arya's "turning point".

The only thing I kinda had a problem with was as other mentioned Arya being in such close contact with Tywin does indeed leave the opening for it to look silly for her name him as one of the 3 deaths. On this I do like the point that he hasn't really done anything to her directly, and probably doesn't like much of a threat to her or the North as he's losing the war. Also people tend to forget that she is still a young girl. You can make a good case that she probably just didn't think about the strategic advantages of killing him at the moment.

Well, Arya always struck me as a bit impetuous at times so it seems completely in-line with her character to "waste" a kill on someone who hasn't directly wronged her or who isn't a threat to her or someone she loves.

And to add to that, she was probably a bit doubtful that Jaqhen could really pull off something like this with so many people around.

Well, Arya always struck me as a bit impetuous at times so it seems completely in-line with her character to "waste" a kill on someone who hasn't directly wronged her or who isn't a threat to her or someone she loves.

And to add to that, she was probably a bit doubtful that Jaqhen could really pull off something like this with so many people around.

But if she had doubts, why not just name Polliver who hit her, killed Lommy and stole Needle? They even went out their way to name him, give him multiple scenes, etc.

As I said last night, I'll reserve judgement and see how this plays out. But if the fuck this up I'll be upset

In the books she picked a completely stupid 1st choice too, so its not out of nowhere.

But her first choice in the book was still logical, but unrealistic. She then changed it to a more...local pick that had actually harmed her.

So my point is that, if this was just done to show her impetuousness, is that really worth potentially ruining a great scene in the future? She could still show impetuousness by choosing Polliver

Arment

I'm entirely fine with her pick.

It even makes complete and total sense considering they're probably writing out the second person she chooses.

When it all comes down to it, it doesn't matter who she chooses, it's the deed alone that is pretty cool.

Korey

The Renly scene was kind of poorly done I thought. Cat/Brienne's reactions don't seem very natural. I would be freaked out as soon as I saw the shadow thing enter the tent. I mean...there's literally a magic demon thing standing there, I think I'd be a little more freaked out than just shocked that Renly died.

CrankyJay

Banned
But her first choice in the book was still logical, but unrealistic. She then changed it to a more...local pick that had actually harmed her.

So my point is that, if this was just done to show her impetuousness, is that really worth potentially ruining a great scene in the future? She could still show impetuousness by choosing Polliver

So maybe the scene will still happen with just Polliver then...unless he is her 2nd choice. Then how pissed would everyone be?

What if she picked the mountain and fucked up
the fight that goes down between him and The Red Viper?
The meltdown would be epic.

endre

But if she had doubts, why not just name Polliver who hit her, killed Lommy and stole Needle? They even went out their way to name him, give him multiple scenes, etc.

As I said last night, I'll reserve judgement and see how this plays out. But if the fuck this up I'll be upset

Maybe they are keeping him to be killed by Arya, with the this is mine punchline as she reclaims Needle.

The Renly scene was kind of poorly done I thought. Cat/Brienne's reactions don't seem very natural. I would be freaked out as soon as I saw the shadow thing enter the tent. I mean...there's literally a magic demon thing standing there, I think I'd be a little more freaked out than just shocked that Renly died.

It was way cooler in my imagination.

If they split them up, we won't see him again till The Winds of Winter. That's like 5 seasons down the line. They could recast the kid if he isn't available.

In that time he will definitely be to old for the role anyway(maybe series spoiler?)
unless Winds of Winter acts on GRRMs want to fast forward the time to a few years down the road which apparently he wanted to do with Feast
. (Lost spoiler :p)
It will be Walt from lost all over again!

Honestly, it makes me wonder how they will get this show to last for anything more than 2 more seasons because. (possible series spoilers?)
It will get to a point where the children playing Arya, Bran and Rickon just look to old for the roles. Will Arya and Bran still look young enough for the role 3 years down the road when they hit Feast/ADwD? Rickon sure won't look his age.

I'm going to be sad when Arya's next victim
isn't killed by his own dog. That was all sorts of crazy and bad ass. Guess they couldn't afford to kill another dog after the backlash over Lady.

I liked it because it showed that Jaqen wasn't just being a normal killer.

Emwitus

The guys doing the shadows for this show should have worked on lost.

EDIT: And why don't they just send the shadow kill geoffrey?

Right now what we're getting is the blueprints of the fuck up this show is eventually going to be. There's just too much room for error in adapting the upcoming books.

People saying things like that people will forget the Tickler shows that this series is made for the wrong people. The writer's don't respect their audience.

Also, Arya's story is already butchered. Her first kill in season 1 was terribly acted but more than anything directed. It was given little importance.

And Renly's death was laughably bad. Felt like it came out of The Mummy (Returns)

Owzers

I had a completely different mental image of Loras when reading the books, i really don't like his character in the show...they seem to make him more whiny/annoying/emo than what i got from the book, a flamboyant knight of the flowers.

Loras in the show has absolutely NO charm whatsoever.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Are the shadow things able to just slink through and butcher everyone or is there some limit?

About the only thing I remember about their limitations was that they can't pass through magically protected places. You don't get much info on them.

CrankyJay

Banned
Right now what we're getting is the blueprints of the fuck up this show is eventually going to be. There's just too much room for error in adapting the upcoming books.

People saying things like that people will forget the Tickler shows that this series is made for the wrong people. The writer's don't respect their audience.

Also, Arya's story is already butchered. Her first kill in season 1 was terribly acted but more than anything directed. It was given little importance.

And Renly's death was laughably bad. Felt like it came out of The Mummy (Returns)

Good lord, cry moar. The show has been pretty great for the given parameters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom