• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red Wedding?

Storm Spoilers in the above.
That is the suspicion. That would be episode 9, or maybe even 10.

series
I recall Tyrion figured it out towards the end of Storm, so we won't see it probably till middle of season 4!

That is something I could see them moving up to this season. Like with the Tickler stuff, people will largely forget the details if they wait that long.

Also, your post in the other thread is verging on the teasing non readers scale. Just my opinion, Clash
but Sangreal already guessed what would happen, so no big deal

gutshot

Also, your post in the other thread is verging on the teasing non readers scale. Just my opinion, Clash
but Sangreal already guessed what would happen, so no big deal

Agreed. Although I don't think either of you should be posting in there. Just let them figure it all out on their own. It's more fun that way. :p

If they split them up, we won't see him again till The Winds of Winter. That's like 5 seasons down the line. They could recast the kid if he isn't available.

Very cool idea that Wray came up with in the ASOIAF thread for how to do that in the show. Thought I'd share because I really love the idea. Obviously series spoilers in the link: Link

In that time he will definitely be to old for the role anyway(maybe series spoiler?)
unless Winds of Winter acts on GRRMs want to fast forward the time to a few years down the road which apparently he wanted to do with Feast
. (Lost spoiler :p)
It will be Walt from lost all over again!

Honestly, it makes me wonder how they will get this show to last for anything more than 2 more seasons because. (possible series spoilers?)
It will get to a point where the children playing Arya, Bran and Rickon just look to old for the roles. Will Arya and Bran still look young enough for the role 3 years down the road when they hit Feast/ADwD? Rickon sure won't look his age.

series spoilers
Well GRRM said that he wanted to do the 5 year time jump, and he also regretted not making the kids a few years older at the beginning of the series. So, yes the kids will be older in the later part of the TV show than in the books, but I don't really see it as an issue.

The guys doing the shadows for this show should have worked on lost.

EDIT: And why don't they just send the shadow kill geoffrey?

Well Davos convinced Stannis in this past episode to not bring Melisandre to Kings Landing, so that provides a hedge against her birthing another shadow to kill Joffrey.

Can't wait to hear 4 versions of the same song they keep using for the Dragonstone gang.

Aside from the end of last night's episode, the soundtrack has been weak this season. They even managed to water down the title theme.

I thought the score was strong in episodes 1,4, and 5, but pretty weak in 2 and 3.

http://i.imgur.com/jlWOy.gif

http://i.imgur.com/YdzhM.gif

God, I hate Jon Snow in the TV series. He's such a... bitch. I don't think he was nearly as pouty in the books.

YdzhM.gif

Dude's standing in the middle of howling winds and snow in Iceland. What do you expect him to do?

Yeah, that scene was a letdown. Even just in how its set up, with the Renly getting ready to go to bed and taking off his armor versus in the books how its early morning and he's getting his armor on and getting ready for battle. It makes it even more shocking in the books, combined with how the shadow is just lurking on the walls of the tent and slits his throat. Versus the show, where Cat stares at the squid ink/smoke monster for what seems like forever before it moseys on over to kill Renly. With much of the CG on the show it always seems like the actors are very clearly not looking at the CG object which is kind of distracting.

I guess I pictured an actual shadow, more akin to Dracula's crazy shadow in Bram Stoker's Dracula versus a smoke monster. Its not a terrible scene but it felt pretty uninspired. I wonder what they originally had in mind, if they had to change it at the last minute.

Yup, I mentioned a Dracula homage in my review of the episode. It could have looked amazing in that tent. The show does a lot of great things with natural lighting

Trasher

Question about last night's episode: I haven't gotten to that specific Theon part in the book where he's talking with Dagmer yet, but what exactly was the light bulb that went off for him when they were talking about attacking the Stony Shore and forcing the Starks to send troops to defend it? Was he just realizing that it was maybe making an opening for his father's other larger forces by drawing their attention somewhere else first?

Question about last night's episode: I haven't gotten to that specific Theon part in the book where he's talking with Dagmer yet, but what exactly was the light bulb that went off for him when they were talking about attacking the Stony Shore and forcing the Starks to send troops to defend it? Was he just realizing that it was maybe making an opening for his father's other larger forces by drawing their attention somewhere else first?

Just keep reading. You don't want it spoiled if you're already reading A Clash of Kings.

As said above, I would recommend just reading the book. I think that might have been an added scene anyways.

But if you really want to know:
Clash
Somebody in the other thread pretty much guessed it

Agreed. Although I don't think either of you should be posting in there. Just let them figure it all out on their own. It's more fun that way. :p

I disagree. I rarely post in there, and when I do it has nothing to do with what is coming in the future. I believe my last few posts were explaining that Gregor is a lord with his own men, arguing that Cat is not cool, and clarifying that Bran's assassination is still a mystery.

And on Jon:
I like the casting. I think he has done fine so far, although he has done almost nothing in season 2 to date.
Cersei is the worst, but it is not all on her, as apparently the writers are also trying to give her some new character dimensions.

In the book, ACOK spoilers, but nothing that hasn't been done in the show to this point
He seems to want to go inland and attack the north without any ideas from Dagmer. It seemed to be his planned he hatched up all along to prove his worth to the Ironborn and his father. (Been awhile, but I think that's the gist of of it.) In the show, he needs a little push, that scene from last night did not happen in the book.

Korey

An idea my friend envisioned the Renly scene was that there is an ominous (2D) shadow cast in the background behind him as he's standing there talking. Cat and Brienne suddenly notice it's there, but are confused because they don't know what's casting it (nothing). At that moment, the shadow suddenly strikes (pops out) and kills Renly.

That set up would have been amazing and dramatic and horror-like. Would have worked so much better than a 3D semi-physical shadow zombie waltzing in through the front door and then stabbing him as Cat and Brienne watch on and barely react to it.

The shadow should have been 2D all along. It would have been even more dramatic in the birth scene (shadow lit on the cavern wall by the lantern) and they could've saved thousands of dollars in CGI.

Very cool idea that Wray came up with in the ASOIAF thread for how to do that in the show. Thought I'd share because I really love the idea. Obviously series spoilers in the link: Link
Crazy Dance spoilers/theory:
Maester Luwin is the cloaked guy in Winterfell that Theon recognized. He is the one that stole the extra sword in the crypts.

Yeah I thought that they handled the shadow in the tent very poorly.

It kinda happened suddenly in the book if I remember correctly.

Idk, didn't care for it

Trasher

Yeah I thought that they handled the shadow in the tent very poorly.

It kinda happened suddenly in the book if I remember correctly.

Idk, didn't care for it

I agree. I actually just read that part too, and I felt like it was much more mysterious in the book. And the reason Cat thinks it was Stannis is because she just thought she "felt" his presence there.

They shoulda spent more time on the CGI to make it a little more badass or something. In the book Renly is on the ground coughing up blood and convulsing and shit, and in the show he just dies super quickly it seems.

Renly was the wimpiest king of all of them. I'd have killed him too.

I sort of agree. I never really pulled for Renly, but he killed in the scene with Stannis 'negotiating'. I was pretty jacked/sad for him after that scene, which what came next.

As with everyone else, I thought the Renly scene in the tent could have been better. I think the blade coming out the front of his neck, and much more blood would have made the scene much more shocking and intense.

I loved about they pretty much agreed on a Stark and Baratheon alliance right before though. Made it a very sad moment for team Stark as they tentatively had a good deal in place, only to have is shattered to pieces mere seconds later.

Can we also please note how fucking awesome the Tywin and Ayra scene was?

"They call him The Young Wolf."

The stare down at the end. So good.

Didn't notice this connection:
UDnEe.jpg

Pears.

ampere

I'm still watching season 1 (watching ep5 right now), so while I'm not ready to hop in this thread to discuss the current season I wanted to chime in and say how much I'm enjoying the show.

I'm thinking about reading the books too, the world this series creates is pretty damn interesting.

gutshot

I disagree. I rarely post in there, and when I do it has nothing to do with what is coming in the future. I believe my last few posts were explaining that Gregor is a lord with his own men, arguing that Cat is not cool, and clarifying that Bran's assassination is still a mystery.

Yeah, you haven't teased or spoiled anything, but I think part of the fun of the thread is letting them puzzle stuff out for themselves. I like reading about some of their crazy assumptions and theories, even though they may get a lot of the details wrong.

Oh, and [ASOS]
it looks like John Harker has done fucked up the Bran assassination mystery.
SMH

I've heard multiple people call him emo up till SoS.

Entire Series Spoilers
After he fucks Ygritte he seems to be less emo (or maybe he changes while palling around with Qhorin), but reverts a little after she dies and the defense of the Wall is over. Once he reunites with Ghost his emo days are mostly done. Then we get his awesome chapters in ADWD "kill the boy" and the beheading of Janos Slynt.

Yeah, you haven't teased or spoiled anything, but I think part of the fun of the thread is letting them puzzle stuff out for themselves. I like reading about some of their crazy assumptions and theories, even though they may get a lot of the details wrong.
If people from this thread could please stop posting over there, it'd be a huge help. I understand that all of you think you're being helpful, but the more posts over there we have (leading, hinting, confirming answers, etc...), the more problems we'll have. Just stop posting in that thread. Thank you.
Oh, and [ASOS]
it looks like John Harker has done fucked up the Bran assassination mystery.
SMH
And yes, it leads to stuff like this. :(

Korey

Instead of having two threads with ambiguous levels of spoilers, you should just have one with "book readers thread (mark spoilers)" and "tv-show-only viewers" thread where book readers aren't allowed to post

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Instead of having two threads with ambiguous levels of spoilers, you should just have one with "book readers thread (mark spoilers)" and "tv-show-only viewers" thread where book readers aren't allowed to post

There's nothing about this current system that's ambiguous, people are just fucking stupid and there really isn't any enforcement.

gutshot

If people from this thread could please stop posting over there, it'd be a huge help. I understand that all of you think you're being helpful, but the more posts over there we have (leading, hinting, confirming answers, etc...), the more problems we'll have. Just stop posting in that thread. Thank you.

Exactly. Too often people forget what is in the book versus what is in the show. Or at what point certain details are confirmed.

And like Cornballer says, even if you think you won't forget, your posting in there may lead another book reader to post in there and they may be the one to screw things up.

Fine. I personally don't see a problem with what I have done, as I have pretty well respected the rule that the books don't exist. Storm
I even did some damage control to resolve the aforementioned issue quickly through PMs. Don't want to accidentally confirm the accuracy of what was said
But I will do my best to not post over there anymore.

Korey

There's nothing about this current system that's ambiguous, people are just fucking stupid and there really isn't any enforcement.

It's easier if it's just "NO BOOK READERS ALLOWED", and ask a mod to be the go-to chaperone for it

That way if anything needs to be explained there, it'll be by other watchers and not people who read the books and they don't have to worry about anything that hasn't been revealed yet in the show

Edit: It doesn't have to be bannings, just people in that thread can be like "hey guy, look at the title, please don't post here anymore" and then the guy can be like "oh oops sorry about that, i won't post here anymore"

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
It's easier if it's just "NO BOOK READERS ALLOWED", and ask a mod to be the go-to chaperone for it

That way if anything needs to be explained there, it'll be by other watchers and not people who read the books and they don't have to worry about anything that hasn't been revealed yet in the show

How does a mod verify who is and isn't a book-reader? Of course there are some obvious people, but aside from keeping and enforcing a registry you can't really run it that way. That's a lot of work to ask of Cornballer or a mod. I like reading that thread and post in there occasionally but only to directly answer a question that I know for sure is answerable based on the show (e.g. the clarification I made earlier today about white walkers vs. wights). What it needs is enforcement of the current rules. Banning certain parties from either thread isn't much of an answer IMO.

I will never be able to plead that I haven't read the books!

And I generally agree with you, Emerson, but there is a legitimate complaint that there is no actual enforcement of the rules aside form peer pressure, so I guess we can try and stick to only this thread. Like you, I like to occasionally jump in and clarify TV show only points, or to discuss things like the cool/uncool characters that aren't occurring in this thread.

I'll just try and stay out in the future.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Edit: It doesn't have to be bannings, just people in that thread can be like "hey guy, look at the title, please don't post here anymore" and then the guy can be like "oh oops sorry about that, i won't post here anymore"

There's just really no practical difference between this and the current solution. The current thread title and OP rules could not be any clearer, but people still balls it up constantly despite being told not to. So changing the wording of the rules won't change that.

I will never be able to plead that I haven't read the books!

And I generally agree with you, Emerson, but there is a legitimate complaint that there is no actual enforcement of the rules aside form peer pressure, so I guess we can try and stick to only this thread. Like you, I like to occasionally jump in and clarify TV show only points, or to discuss things like the cool/uncool characters that aren't occurring in this thread.

I'll just try and stay out in the future.

I agree there's certainly an issue of enforcement, and though I've been stubborn about it I'll not post in there for Cornballer's sake at the very least. I really wouldn't have a problem with this period if this thread hadn't turned into such a shitshow. This community was really nice last season but it's increasingly frustrating now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom