• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dany

Banned
Best part of the episode is when Tywin was questiong Arya and she said "anyone can be killed" with her eying Tywin deeply. So well done.

Rewatching the episode I'm reminded of the similarity between what Theon tells the crew member who challenges his authority, and what Robb told the Greatjon in S1. Both threats are worded almost exactly the same in fact. Of course, Robb had a direwolf to bite off the Greatjon's fingers to make his point clear, and endear the Greatjon to him. I thought it was a nice compare/contrast

And speaking of the Greatjon, is he not in this season?

Dysun

The only issues I have with the changes they're making to the story are what they're doing at Winterfell, more specifically the utter omission of (CoK spoilers)
Ramsay. I don't understand why he's been cut, he's one of the most despicable characters in the book and by removing his back-story along with everything he does at Winterful he's not going to be as effective a villain if he does show up. It really irked me when Bran named Rodrik to be the victim in his dream given his death outside the gates had a huge emotional punch and cemented Ramsay as a complete cunt on a personal level that sacking Winterfell alone wouldn't achieve.

I really fear that he's going to be written out to be replaced by Roose.

CoK
It seems like they are skipping over Reek entirely thus far, disappointing since his deception is pretty memorable.

CoK
It seems like they are skipping over Reek entirely thus far, disappointing since his deception is pretty memorable.

CoK
I don't think simplifying the Reek/Ramsay thing is necessarily a bad thing. This was pretty convoluted in CoK as it was.

Ramsay'll probably just be in Season 3.

Solo

Loved it. Season has been great all the way through so far. Really loved the Qarth stuff. People rag on Dany's stuff feeling unconnected to the main plot, which is true, but I really enjoy her naivety and trusting of anyone balanced out by Jorah's pragmatism. Liked the Arya stuf in this one, especially her scene with Tyrion and even moreso the scenes with Jaqen, a piece of casting I am absolutely loving. The stuff past the Wall is finally getting to a more exciting place and I was giggling with amusement again at Tyrion poking away at Lancel. I can't believe the season is already half over. It's flying right by. The leap from S1 to S2 has been astronomical. If the show keeps growing like this, it will really be something incredible by the time it ends.

Lothar

Banned
CoK
I don't think simplifying the Reek/Ramsay thing is necessarily a bad thing. This was pretty convoluted in CoK as it was.

CoK
That doesn't make much sense to me. He's the one that destroyed Winterfell. Who else could do it?

Magnus

Honestly confused about one bit from last night's ep, with Xaro and Dany.

Where did Xaro obtain the key to the vault? And why does he need Dany?

My takeaway is that Xaro always had the key but hired thieves/locksmiths just to test the safety of the vault, and that all he wants from Dany is marriage for power, so that he can rule Westeros with her.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Honestly confused about one bit from last night's ep, with Xaro and Dany.

Where did Xaro obtain the key to the vault? And why does he need Dany?

Yeah I understand your confusion. He doesn't actually need her to open the vault, though it seemed to be implied that way at first. He is just offering tons of money for her marriage.

Lax Mike

Neo Member
So any guesses as to what the season finale will be?

(ACoK-ASoS Spoilers)
I Would imagine it would end after Theon kills the Miller's boys while Bran and company make their escape. And given Sam's line about three horns being for White Walkers in the most recent episode, I wouldn't be surprised if they included the prologue of ASoS as the closing scene. In my opinion, it's one of the better chapters in the series, and it would really provide a chilling end to the season.

On another note (ACoK-ASoS spoilers)
What's the deal with Beric and the Brotherhood in the show? It seems like they've been downplayed a lot on the show, as compared to the books, where they're mentioned over and over. I'm sure they'll play a big part next season, but it would probably be confusing to the average viewer if they were just thrown in there without much context, which could come across as very forced. I understand if they're trying to keep it mysterious for non-book readers, so they're occupied with guessing just who the "Brotherhood" is, which would be great if pulled off well, but I just hope they at least build them up somehow, since they're one of the more interesting factions at play.

ACOK
Theon. I have a feeling he'll arrive to allegedly break the siege, and be the one who betrays Rodrick.

Series
I guess they could cut out Reek, and just have Ramsay. But if they cut out Ramsay burning Winterfell that would totally ruin Theon's arc in Dance, aside from hurting it in Clash. It will hurt Ramsay as well, but evil is easier to establish with less screen time. See Joffrey.

Magnus

Yeah I understand your confusion. He doesn't actually need her to open the vault, though it seemed to be implied that way at first. He is just offering tons of money for her marriage.

Gotcha, yeah. The scene was definitely built to imply (at first) that the Vault was still a problem for Xaro, and Dany might have been the solution. I honestly thought he wanted her dragons to melt it down, or something. Can dragonfire melt Valyrian steel?

And yeah, of course, if I recontextualize the scene in my head, marrying a viable claimant to the throne who has dragons in her corner is something worth pursuing enough for the man. Thanks Solo.

So why did he even mention the whole bit about trying to find someone to help open the vault? Or maybe it was that process that yielded the key to him? What's in there, the riches of Qarth? Who did they belong to? Or were they always Xaro's, and he was testing their security?

I think I'm severely over-analyzing the scene, lol.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
So why did he even mention the whole bit about trying to find someone to help open the vault? Or maybe it was that process that yielded the key to him? What's in there, the riches of Qarth? Who did they belong to?

I think he was trying to drive home the point that there is no way to get in there without marrying him. It was kind of sloppily written all around though.

Series
I guess they could cut out Reek, and just have Ramsay. But if they cut out Ramsay burning Winterfell that would totally ruin Theon's arc in Dance, aside from hurting it in Clash. It will hurt Ramsay as well, but evil is easier to establish with less screen time. See Joffrey.
acok
Perhaps his men start the burning, he objects, and is knocked out?

Instead of marrying her he could just kill her and take the dragons. No claim on Westeros, sure, but Dragons could be useful in creating claims.

I have to assume they are just far too civilized in Qarth to sink to such dishonorable levels.

Magnus

Did anyone else love Jorah's little speech to Dany?

Something along the lines of:
“Centuries come and go without someone like that coming into the world. There are times I look at you and still can’t believe that you’re real.”

I just thought that it was a perfect reminder that Dany is something special in the presence of other awful, terrible kings and contenders.

Man, 20 scenes or so in this ep. Is that a record for the show?

apana

(ACoK-ASoS Spoilers)
I Would imagine it would end after Theon kills the Miller's boys while Bran and company make their escape. And given Sam's line about three horns being for White Walkers in the most recent episode, I wouldn't be surprised if they included the prologue of ASoS as the closing scene. In my opinion, it's one of the better chapters in the series, and it would really provide a chilling end to the season.

On another note (ACoK-ASoS spoilers)
What's the deal with Beric and the Brotherhood in the show? It seems like they've been downplayed a lot on the show, as compared to the books, where they're mentioned over and over. I'm sure they'll play a big part next season, but it would probably be confusing to the average viewer if they were just thrown in there without much context, which could come across as very forced. I understand if they're trying to keep it mysterious for non-book readers, so they're occupied with guessing just who the "Brotherhood" is, which would be great if pulled off well, but I just hope they at least build them up somehow, since they're one of the more interesting factions at play.

I think you are wrong about your first guess. (series spoiler)
We know that this season Jaime will be escaping with Brienne after Catelyn frees him. So Catelyn will need to know about the "deaths" of Bran and Rickon by the end of episode 9 or opening of episode 10 at the latest.

Did anyone else love Jorah's little speech to Dany?

Something along the lines of:
“Centuries come and go without someone like that coming into the world. There are times I look at you and still can’t believe that you’re real.”

I just thought that it was a perfect reminder that Dany is something special in the presence of other awful, terrible kings and contenders.

I was actually thinking, "We're nearing the end of episode and I haven't seen any nudity yet.....Is it going to happen n.....ohhhhh. damn......"

CoK

Yeah, It was convoluted in CoK.
I didn't really understand what was going on with respect to Reek/Ramsay until I finished the book and looked it up online. Maybe that says more about my reading comprehension though.

What was I supposed to see here?

R0QrC.jpg

So any guesses as to what the season finale will be?

ACOK/ASOS

Some of this is just wild speculation but I think in the last ep we'll see:
In no particular order:

- Arya's story remains pretty much the same as the end of ACOK; leaves Harrenhall with Gendry and Hot Pie
- Margaery makes an entrance to King's Landing at the end of S2 and Tyrion and Sansa will both find out that they're to be married to each other
- Jon kills Qhorin and heads to the wildling camp with Rattleshirt and Ygritte.
- Robb starts to deal with the fallout of him falling for and marrying Jeyne (Lannister, lol.) The Freys start to get upset, Catelyn frees Jaime.
- Not much with Davos. I can see them leaving him stranded on the island, or just fast forward it so that he's captured for plotting to kill Mel.
- I think Dany will begin to come into her own starting with some of the Qartheen, be it taking control of a small faction of an army or something, but I can't seem them NOT doing something for Dany before the ownage of ASOS. I hope that Selmy is in it earlier then the last ep too.

- In terms of the Theon thing... I think it'll go more like Theon loses control of the situation, especially after the confrontation with his men in the last ep. They'll be the ones to kill Rodrick and Luwin, and Theon will realize everything is messed up and they'll be the ones responsible for burning down Winterfell before the Northmen reclaim it. I actually think this'll probably happen in the 2nd to last episode.

- Penultimate shot: Bran, Rickon, Hodor and Osha emerging from the crypts. Check abandoned and burned Winterfell, then take off North.

- Last sequence: Night's Watch, Fist of the First Men. A few men from the Night's Watch are gettting disgruntled... they're planning on moving against Mormont. Then 1... 2... 3... blasts. Fade to black.

(I'm pretty sure they didn't have Sam explicitly spell it out last episode for nothing. :p)

Amir0x

Banned
so up/down:

CoK/ASoS/Etc
Will they be cutting out all the giants/mammoths/shadowcats/giant walruses from the series for budgetary reasons?

Vote Y/N

so up/down:

CoK/ASoS/Etc
Will they be cutting out all the giants/mammoths/shadowcats/giant walruses from the series for budgetary reasons?

Vote Y/N
I don't see why
the battle won't be till next season. A few sweeping views of the whole wilding army, show a CGI mammoth or two and a giant amongst that, and you're set till next season

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
As said above, I would recommend just reading the book. I think that might have been an added scene anyways.

But if you really want to know:
Clash
Somebody in the other thread pretty much guessed it

I disagree. I rarely post in there, and when I do it has nothing to do with what is coming in the future. I believe my last few posts were explaining that Gregor is a lord with his own men, arguing that Cat is not cool, and clarifying that Bran's assassination is still a mystery.

And on Jon:
I like the casting. I think he has done fine so far, although he has done almost nothing in season 2 to date.
Cersei is the worst, but it is not all on her, as apparently the writers are also trying to give her some new character dimensions.

I'm assuming you mean Bran's attempted assassination?

Amir0x

Banned
I don't see why
the battle won't be till next season. A few sweeping views of the whole wilding army, show a CGI mammoth or two and a giant amongst that, and you're set till next season

well I mean BECAUSE of what would happen with it later, would they just cut losses now? ACoK/ASoS
They're afraid to show a few dragons often, a whole battle with endless fantasy creatures?

It was my main big fear when the series was getting made if they could accurately portray moments like this, because it's a tv show. Judging by how they save their budget, I'm still wondering if they can do it

ronito

You know, hearing the (CoK/SoS spoilers)
idea for ending the the 3 horn blows
sounds like a perfect ending.

apana

well I mean BECAUSE of what would happen with it later, would they just cut losses now? ACoK/ASoS
They're afraid to show a few dragons often, a whole battle with endless fantasy creatures?

It was my main big fear when the series was getting made if they could accurately portray moments like this, because it's a tv show. Judging by how they save their budget, I'm still wondering if they can do it

In the right hands it can be done without [series spoiler]
destroying the budget. Take out the battle with Sam at the fist of the first men, just show him running away. Show just one giant interacting with Jon in Season 3. Season 3 should be relatively simple budget wise, they will have a lot of money to do the "you know what" major scene. For season 4 they need to show the battle at the wall and that is when it gets tricky budget wise because you also have Bran at Queenscrown and finding that secret magical entrance to cross the wall.

Kuroyume

Banned
so up/down:

CoK/ASoS/Etc

Vote Y/N

Tempted to say they'll be cut but I can't see why they couldn't do it. It's not like the
dragons and wolves
are on screen all the time.

Seems like they save the budget for big scenes like that though, given how (ACOK)
they seem to have saved up to make the battle of the blackwater as big and crazy as possible

I guess the last few episodes of season 2 will be kind of an indication on whether they'll be able to pull off the stuff you're talking about later on

so up/down:

CoK/ASoS/Etc

Vote Y/N

They should have more money to spend on book 3 since its split into 2 even if it is a larger story. I'll be conservative and say like 25% larger budget per page. Who knows what they are going to add from book 4.
They need to get some LotR battle technology though for the Wall battles.

Lumiere

Neo Member
I think you are wrong about your first guess. (series spoiler)
We know that this season Jaime will be escaping with Brienne after Catelyn frees him. So Catelyn will need to know about the "deaths" of Bran and Rickon by the end of episode 9 or opening of episode 10 at the latest.
About the timing for those events, (ACOK/ASOS spoilers)
I believe that in a few interviews Jaime's actor stated his favorite scene ever in GoT will be in episode 7; I would guess that, if not his escape, at least his first talk with Catelyn will be in that episode - Jaime shouldn't really have any other memorable scenes before that.
Also, if i remember correctly in the books there were a few chapters between Bran and Rickon's "deaths" and the reveal that they were alive? If they wanted to preserve a bit of the surprise effect, it would make sense if they "die" in episode 7/8 and then are shown to be alive in 9/10.

Korey

In the second book, didn't Quorin Halfhand (CoK)
specifically ask for Jon to go with him?
Wonder why they changed that part.

You know, hearing the (CoK/SoS spoilers)
idea for ending the the 3 horn blows
sounds like a perfect ending.

(ACOK/early ASOS):
Given the show's disregard for subtlety, I think they'll just move the ASOS prologue up to this season's finale. So you won't just get the three horn blasts, you'll get the beginning of the camp attack

About the timing for those events, (ACOK/ASOS spoilers)
I believe that in a few interviews Jaime's actor stated his favorite scene ever in GoT will be in episode 7; I would guess that, if not his escape, at least his first talk with Catelyn will be in that episode - Jaime shouldn't really have any other memorable scenes before that.
Also, if i remember correctly in the books there were a few chapters between Bran and Rickon's "deaths" and the reveal that they were alive? If they wanted to preserve a bit of the surprise effect, it would make sense if they "die" in episode 7/8 and then are shown to be alive in 9/10.

ACOK spoilers
Based on the episode synopses, it looks like they die in episode 8. Or I should correct that. It says that "Theon goes hunting" in episode 7, and it says "Robb is betrayed" in episode 8, so it might happen at the end of episode 7.

In the second book, didn't Quorin Halfhand (CoK)
specifically ask for Jon to go with him?
Wonder why they changed that part.

Yes, ACOK spoilers
I believe his reasoning was that he wanted Snow because it meant getting his direwolf to go with them. Despite the book nerd in me wanted Halfhand to say something about the direwolf, I think the scene worked better in the show.

(ACOK/early ASOS):
Given the show's disregard for subtlety, I think they'll just move the ASOS prologue up to this season's finale. So you won't just get the three horn blasts, you'll get the beginning of the camp attack

I'm okay with that. I'd be okay with the same last scene in the book as well.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Actress playing Arya keeps impressing me more and more with her acting. The scene with Tywin was fantastic.
Great casting choice for Briene too.
And Bran's armor/outfit was pretty cool, made him look like a badass little lord.

frequency

This episode made me realize how much I've forgotten. Which makes sense I guess since I haven't read the books in like five years (still waiting for ADWD MMP).

I feel like some of this stuff happened way later in the books?

Also, I thought they were going to do something more with Tyrion's reaction to Joffrey's torture. Apparently not. So yup... "character building" for those two women was useless and didn't lead to anything. Now I'm back to thinking all scenes involving them were sex for the sake of sex. I hope the lack of it in this episode and not continuing the story with those two women is a sign that they're going to stop doing it unless it's in the books/worthwhile.

Renly's scene was so underwhelming. That seems like an episode ending type scene. The pacing in this episode seemed off.

Also, Jon needs more screen time! I was always more interested in the north when I read the books. The stuff down south is full of intrigue and I enjoy it too, but what got me hooked at the very beginning was the prologue chapter or whatever. A part of me kept reading the series just for more of that. Jon has always been my favourite.

It's really been so long since I read the books, all I really remember are major events and they all kind of mesh together in terms of timelines. I should probably re-read since the ADWD MMP is supposed to come out this summer.

Korey

Yes, ACOK spoilers
I believe his reasoning was that he wanted Snow because it meant getting his direwolf to go with them. Despite the book nerd in me wanted Halfhand to say something about the direwolf, I think the scene worked better in the show.

Really? That's it? Ok, then the change was fine. I thought his reasoning had more to it than that

(ACOK/early ASOS):

ACOK/ASOS
Nah. Sam made a point of stating outright what it meant the last episode, and they lingered on it for a few beats. I think the 3 horn blasts will definitely be in, even if they have a shot of Sam saying "Walkers" under his breath immediately after or something.

And though it's probably more fan-service then any definitive proof, the first teaser for S2 ended with the 3 horn blasts anyways.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKsP4fi3jL0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom