• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeliard

How does a mod verify who is and isn't a book-reader? Of course there are some obvious people, but aside from keeping and enforcing a registry you can't really run it that way. That's a lot of work to ask of Cornballer or a mod. I like reading that thread and post in there occasionally but only to directly answer a question that I know for sure is answerable based on the show (e.g. the clarification I made earlier today about white walkers vs. wights). What it needs is enforcement of the current rules. Banning certain parties from either thread isn't much of an answer IMO.

The most damaging sort of potential spoiler stuff is virtually impossible to combat, which is people who have read the books or otherwise know info derived from them who make "predictions" that they attempt to pass off as speculation.

The only thing that can be done about that is for one of the people here to recognize that poster from a previous book thread, and if they haven't posted in one before or have only recently read the books, there's nothing that can really be done about it.

I'm talking about stuff like this, after last week's shadow-birthing ep:

How would it become good versus evil to have Shadow Assassins running amok?

Which came out of basically nowhere. Nobody had mentioned the thing as an assassin before until Wuvcraft just matter-of-factly said it. Did he know something? Was he speculating? Impossible to really tell. That was followed by a couple of others saying it would go after Renly. While it's entirely possible that they were just legitimately speculating, since it is reasonable to make that sort of assumption, the lines there become very blurred and it all gets a bit tricky.

This

This is also damaging

Speevy

Banned
Kevin Mckidd, aka Lucius Vorenus, was on freakin' Grey's Anatomy.

Actors act.

You show me an actor who has never made light of himself and I'll show you a liar.

CrankyJay

Banned
I will never be able to plead that I haven't read the books!

And I generally agree with you, Emerson, but there is a legitimate complaint that there is no actual enforcement of the rules aside form peer pressure, so I guess we can try and stick to only this thread. Like you, I like to occasionally jump in and clarify TV show only points, or to discuss things like the cool/uncool characters that aren't occurring in this thread.

I'll just try and stay out in the future.

I figure anyone who wants clarification on something could venture over and ask. It's the only way we can peacefully coexist.

Subitai

If people from this thread could please stop posting over there, it'd be a huge help. I understand that all of you think you're being helpful, but the more posts over there we have (leading, hinting, confirming answers, etc...), the more problems we'll have. Just stop posting in that thread. Thank you.
And yes, it leads to stuff like this. :(
Ok, I'll stop and just lurk.

I was trying the help generate argument and speculation. My thought was there would be less chance to be drawn here, where they would be definitely spoiled all over the place, as there have been many who've complained the other thread dies at times and some keep checking in here.

series spoilers
Well GRRM said that he wanted to do the 5 year time jump, and he also regretted not making the kids a few years older at the beginning of the series. So, yes the kids will be older in the later part of the TV show than in the books, but I don't really see it as an issue.

Not necessarily an issue sure, but distracting none the less.

Korey

How does a mod verify who is and isn't a book-reader? Of course there are some obvious people, but aside from keeping and enforcing a registry you can't really run it that way. That's a lot of work to ask of Cornballer or a mod. I like reading that thread and post in there occasionally but only to directly answer a question that I know for sure is answerable based on the show (e.g. the clarification I made earlier today about white walkers vs. wights). What it needs is enforcement of the current rules. Banning certain parties from either thread isn't much of an answer IMO.

The thing is, it'll be obvious because that thread won't contain any spoilers if there's no book readers there. So...if someone posts a spoiler tag it's obvious he's read the books.

Also, it's fine to read it, just don't post in there. I mean yea, sometimes you want to clarify things for people but it's not that easy to avoid spoilers for everyone and it's not that big of a sacrifice for you to refrain from posting there.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
The thing is, it'll be obvious because that thread won't contain any spoilers if there's no book readers there. So...if someone posts a spoiler tag it's obvious he's read the books.

Also, it's fine to read it, just don't post in there. I mean yea, sometimes you want to clarify things for people but it's not that easy to avoid spoilers for everyone and it's not that big of a sacrifice for you to refrain from posting there.

The problem that thread is dealing with is not people who go in there and use spoiler tags.

deim0s

Who was the woman Jorah is speaking to? (the one with the 'tiled' mask) It's been a while and I don't have the books with me to verify.

PolishQ

The one thing I took issue with in the new episode was that the first two scenes contained basically the same line of dialogue repeated:

CATELYN (to Brienne): You can't avenge him if you are dead.

(2 minutes later)

MARGAERY (to Loras): You can't avenge him from the grave.

Hamfisted attempt at drawing parallels between characters, or just lazy writing?

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
There's just really no practical difference between this and the current solution. The current thread title and OP rules could not be any clearer, but people still balls it up constantly despite being told not to. So changing the wording of the rules won't change that.
People can't get it right in this thread either. Posting [ACoK]
Arya doesn't use one of her 3 kills on Tywin
is a spoiler and should be tagged in this thread.

Zb44O.jpg

Please keep in mind that many viewers haven't read the books and will be new to the ASoIaF series. As such, please spoiler tag any plot points that haven't aired yet on HBO and label what book you're discussing. This includes book spoilers as well as promos and teasers that HBO has released for upcoming episodes. Also note that mentioning a specific character in a specific book confirms that they're still alive at that point, so please do not do this.

Duki

Banned
posting in that thread is fun tho

just dont mention the books

like if we didnt id never have seen the brootherhood shit they were talking about

stuff like that is gold

amirox let us do that last season too, and hes doing the same kind of posting in there now, so nothings really different

So uh...I just looked in the no book spoiler thread and [BIG ASS STORM OF SWORDS SPOILERS]
a poster appears to have quite confidently confirmed the truth of Bran's assassination attempt. There is no way anyone could have predicated the answer based on what we saw in the show, surely?!

Edit:

like if we didnt id never have seen the brootherhood shit they were talking about

stuff like that is gold

amirox let us do that last season too, and hes doing the same kind of posting in there now, so nothings really different
Ehhh...it might be entertaining for you but if you are making "I know things you don't know!" posts they probably find you rather annoying. If there are some hilariously off predictions then just post 'em in here with nameless quotes for the lulz or something.

Coop

worst casting of the entire show imho.

I think Shae is probably the worst casting so far.

So uh...I just looked in the no book spoiler thread and [BIG ASS STORM OF SWORDS SPOILERS]
a poster appears to have quite confidently confirmed the truth of Bran's assassination attempt. There is no way anyone could have predicated the answer based on what we saw in the show, surely?!

Haven't read the other thread but I've seen people do this in other forums and it's so obvious they've read the book.

Who was the woman Jorah is speaking to? (the one with the 'tiled' mask) It's been a while and I don't have the books with me to verify.

Her name is Quaithe.

In the book(s) [Series]
at this point, she says her cryptic shit to Dany, not Jorah. Then she shows up again way later in ADWD and tells her some more cryptic shit, although maybe Dany dreamed that, maybe not. And that's about all we know about her. She seems like a throwaway character, the only suspicious thing about her is that she was included in the show.

stuff like that is gold

That stuff can be amusing, but there's no reason to respond to it over there. Just quote it into this thread and we can laugh about it here.

Gregorn

Oooohhhh, Quaithe was the one that said "To go north, you must journey south, to reach the west you must go east." Whenever that line came up in the books I would be like "when was this even said?"

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
First thought after seeing this episode : it's unreal and creepy how good Maisie is as Arya. How a kid her age can act like this... So impressive.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
First thought after seeing this episode : it's unreal and creepy how good Maisie is as Arya. How a kid her age can act like this... So impressive.

if the entire cast were as solid as Davos, Arya and Tyrion, the show would be much the better for it. There is still a lot of cringe-worthy delivery going on.

I can't stand the direction Gillen has taken with Littlefinger. His accent is all over the place every week. There isn't even the teeniest, tiniest bit of subtlety.

if the entire cast were as solid as Davos, Arya and Tyrion, the show would be much the better for it. There is still a lot of cringe-worthy delivery going on.

I can't stand the direction Gillen has taken with Littlefinger. His accent is all over the place every week. There isn't even the teeniest, tiniest bit of subtlety.

He was so good in the first season, too. It's not even the accent that bothers me the most. There seems to be something off with Gillen's acting in general, but I can't put my finger on it.

apana

I see peole in here are talking about [series spoiler]
the Tickler, yeah I was disappointed and it was a dumb choice, but I can see it all working out in the end provided they make the right decisions.

Also some are making too much of [series spoiler]
Meera and Jojen not being a part of this season. They have already said they have left some key characters out to cast in season 3. I have a good feeling they are casting Reek, Meera, and Jojen for season 3. Bran and Theon's story need to be expanded upon for seasons 3 and 4 anyways in order for them to have balanced screen time.

Overall I'm not too happy with this episode, pretty meh to me but it is still based on George's story so there is a lot of great stuff happening regardless of the direction and writing. I don't think David Petrarca (the director) should be asked to return for next season, I don't understand why none of the season 1 directors aside from Alan Taylor were asked to return season 2 (Tim Van Patten, Brian Kirk, or Daniel Minahan). :(

The only issues I have with the changes they're making to the story are what they're doing at Winterfell, more specifically the utter omission of (CoK spoilers)
Ramsay. I don't understand why he's been cut, he's one of the most despicable characters in the book and by removing his back-story along with everything he does at Winterful he's not going to be as effective a villain if he does show up. It really irked me when Bran named Rodrik to be the victim in his dream given his death outside the gates had a huge emotional punch and cemented Ramsay as a complete cunt on a personal level that sacking Winterfell alone wouldn't achieve.

I really fear that he's going to be written out to be replaced by Roose.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
what gets me is that, based on his performance in The Wire, he seemed like a no-brainer for the role. :(

You mean the whole "I am a hair stylist from the 24th century." vibe?

I think there's a bit of a lack of energy. I need to rewatch some of his scenes, but I kind of get the feeling that the subtle, sinister energy he had in the first season is gone. That might fit in with how his character is feeling at that time, though.

deim0s

Her name is Quaithe.

In the book(s) [Series]
at this point, she says her cryptic shit to Dany, not Jorah. Then she shows up again way later in ADWD and tells her some more cryptic shit, although maybe Dany dreamed that, maybe not. And that's about all we know about her. She seems like a throwaway character, the only suspicious thing about her is that she was included in the show.

Thanks and again for clearing that up - was thinking something about the scene. The one that talks in riddles, but it's to someone else iirc.

apana

Maise is great but overall I would say Michelle Fairley as Catelyn Stark has been a bit better this season. I agree about Gillen and his stupid accents, but I'm not sure I agree with your overall point about the cast. The acting has been fantastic these two seasons.

Her name is Quaithe.

In the book(s) [Series]

Series
Glass candles, man. I'm pretty sure she is really there. Well, sort of really there. He prophecies are spot on, though. Just a plot device, or a role to play later is the real question.

The only issues I have with the changes they're making to the story are what they're doing at Winterfell, more specifically the utter omission of (CoK spoilers)
Ramsay. I don't understand why he's been cut, he's one of the most despicable characters in the book and by removing his back-story along with everything he does at Winterful he's not going to be as effective a villain if he does show up. It really irked me when Bran named Rodrik to be the victim in his dream given his death outside the gates had a huge emotional punch and cemented Ramsay as a complete cunt on a personal level that sacking Winterfell alone wouldn't achieve.

I really fear that he's going to be written out to be replaced by Roose.

ACOK spoilers
Like the Reeds, in fact probably more so than the Reeds, I don't think he has been cut, just his introduction pushed to season 3.

As for Littlefinger ACOK/ASOS
We won't see him for a while now if they follow the books correct?

He's important, but not a favorite So, I'm not too down. Arya and Tyrion being nailed more than makes up for it.

(series spoilers)
He seems to be overacting a little. Couple that with some scenes that are just sorta there to justify his salary and the complications of playing a character whose motivations readers still can't agree on
doesn't help either

Majmun

Having read all of the books I must say this show turned out better than I expected. The first season was ok, but I'm loving each an every second of this seasons so far.

And the acting is also muh better this season. It's crazy. I especially loved the Varys and Catelyn scenes.

Brienne casting is absolutely perfect btw. The producers nailed her look so hard. But I expected Quaith to be more different. That masker was ridiculous lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom