• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadlast

I was disappointed in the casting of Qhorin Halfhand. I imagined more of a badass. But who knows, next few episodes he could be awesome.

Disappointed in

[Series Spoilers]
Mostly how the tickler died. I thought the way he died in SoS with arya stabbing him was way better. Maybe they'll find another lackey to kill in that scene.

Majmun

HUGE SoS Spoiler:
Who killed Joffrey in SOS? I always thought that Olenna killed him. But I'm sure they're going to cut Olenna "Queen of thorns" out of this show and and let Margaery kill Joffrey now. Would be sad because I loved Olenna in the books.

3rdman

HUGE SoS Spoiler:
Who killed Joffrey in SOS? I always thought that Olenna killed him. But I'm sure they're going to cut Olenna "Queen of thorns" out of this show and and let Margaery kill Joffrey now. Would be sad because I loved Olenna in the books.
According to Little Finger, it was indeed the Queen of Thorns that poisoned Joffrey but it's never confirmed...LF is such a conniving SOB, that he may have told that to Sansa just to make sure she abandoned whatever hope she had of support at court. In any case, the poisoning was surely done with Margery's approval...With Joffrey out of the way, she could easily dominate Tommin as Queen.

Cake Boss

Banned
Stupid question in coming.

So the series is called a Song of Ice and Fire and the first book is called Game Of Thrones right, and each season covers each book at a time. So the 2nd book is called A Clash of Kings, how come the TV show isn't just called Song of Ice and Fire and each season is called by the book's names?

Song Of Ice and Fire: Game of Thrones
Song Of Ice and Fire: Clash of Kings
etc

I know its a little thing but was annoying trying to figure out what this series is about.

HUGE SoS Spoiler:

Why do you think
she won't be in the show
We won't know anything of that till at the earliest the end of the season. (ASOS)
and technically, wasn't it sansa that poisons Joffrey (inadvertantly of course) because of the circlet or whatever The queen of Thorns gave her? In which case, anyone could essentially give her that... but its far too early to count her role out. The tyrells haven't even made their way to Kings Landing yet.

ultron87

So the series is called a Song of Ice and Fire and the first book is called Game Of Thrones right, and each season covers each book at a time. So the 2nd book is called A Clash of Kings, how come the TV show isn't just called Song of Ice and Fire and each season is called by the book's names?

etc

I know its a little thing but was annoying trying to figure out what this series is about.

I think the general thought was that "Game of Thrones" is a much better name for a television show and actually communicates what the show is about. And they didn't want to have season 2 be "Clash of Kings" because it'd be a nightmare from a marketing perspective.

Game of Thrones is simply a much more marketable name for the series than A Song of Ice and Fire.

Also, subtitling seasons with book names would not work well past the first 2 seasons, as the show will cease to be one book per season.

I had to memorialize my favorite moment of the hour:

202salla.gif

I wish GIF Brewery let me add subs. =/ Although this one works better without them, haha.
I know I'm late to reply to this, but woah; Amazing to see someone using my app here on GAF :).
Subs are definitely something I want to get around to adding...

HUGE SoS Spoiler:

Put me in the camp with the other repliers.
What makes you think she won't be in it? She's a great character and they'd be silly to not include her.

Magnus

I know I'm late to reply to this, but woah; Amazing to see someone using my app here on GAF :).
Subs are definitely something I want to get around to adding...

Haha, awesome! I was turned onto it by some friends; it's simply, the easiest, most efficient way to use GIFs I've ever encountered. Photoshop seems like a nightmare by comparison. It sucks not being able to achieve that perfect fluidity that PS GIFs can, but it's good enough for my purposes.

Thank you!

Westeros+and+Essos.jpg

Is this relatively accurate? I don't think I'd pieced together in my head just how far away Qarth was from Westeros, or the distance Dany had traveled.

gutshot

Westeros+and+Essos.jpg

Is this relatively accurate? I don't think I'd pieced together in my head just how far away Qarth was from Westeros, or the distance Dany had traveled.

I believe the official world map will look a bit different, but it is close. Per ASOIAF-super fan Adam Whitehead:

So is this map 'canon' for the books as well? Mostly, certainly as far east as the Red Waste and Lhazar. However, George R.R. Martin recently re-conceptualised the map of Essos past that region. The HBO map is based on older material and should not be considered canon for the books (although the approximate locations of Vaes Dothrak and Qarth should be correct, the coastlines and some of the geographic detail has changed).

ibkAJL5DJCVfCJ.gif

There's a few more maps in the OP if you want to compare, and it looks like Qarth is more or less in the same spot on all of them.

Petrichor

So I gave into temptation and had a brief look at where the plot is as of the most recent book.

(spoilers for entire published series so far)

Are you kidding me? He's stretching this storyline over 7 books and doesn't look to be significantly closer to resolving any of the major plot threads? I really enjoyed the first season but was slightly disappointed at the lack of resolution, but series 2 takes the biscuit, with next to no real plot development in five episodes. Now that I know how slowly the plot is going to develop over the next three seasons any enthusiasm I had for this show has completely diminished. So the whitewalkers, which almost seemed to be a "big bad" judging by how they were dealt with in series 1, continue to play a minor role? Daenerys is still stuck in the middle of nowhere?*sigh*

Majmun

HUGE SoS Spoiler again
I'm afraid they'll cut Olenna because everything she does can be done by Margaery. Olenna asks Sansa if Joffrey is a good king. Olenna grabs Sansa's hairnet to steal a stone and poisons Joffrey with it( Or let Margaery do it). Everything Olenna does could also be done by Margaery.
I'm just saying this because the producers of the show seem to be very efficient with character placement...
And when Margaery tells LF that she doesn't want to be a queen, but THE queen. It basically removed any relevance to cast Olenna in the show

I hope I'm not right. Guess we'll see.

scosher

HUGE SoS Spoiler again
I'm afraid they'll cut Olenna because everything she does can be done by Margaery. Olenna asks Sansa if Joffrey is a good king. Olenna grabs Sansa's hairnet to steal a stone and poisons Joffrey with it( Or let Margaery do it). Everything Olenna does could also be done by Margaery.
I'm just saying this because the producers of the show seem to be very efficient with character placement...
And when Margaery tells LF that she doesn't want to be a queen, but THE queen. It basically removed any relevance to cast Olenna in the show

I hope I'm not right. Guess we'll see.

Honestly don't think it would be that big of a loss. Also,
Margaery gets paper-thin character development in the books, so I don't mind if the show fleshes her out more and gives her Olenna's role. Plus, it made more sense in the books for a 14 or 16 year old girl to be more of a puppet of Olenna's. Would seem a bit awkward since she's aged up in the show, and the actress herself looks to be in the late 20's.

Majmun

Honestly don't think it would be that big of a loss. Also,
Margaery gets paper-thin character development in the books, so I don't mind if the show fleshes her out more and gives her Olenna's role. Plus, it made more sense in the books for a 14 or 16 year old girl to be more of a puppet of Olenna's. Would seem a bit awkward since she's aged up in the show, and the actress herself looks to be in the late 20's.

SOS
I loved Olenna in the book. Her hag behaviour was very funny, especially in the Cersei POV's. Could be a funny character in the show.
But yes, by removing her, the Margaery character will be more fleshed out.

FStop7

Banned
So I gave into temptation and had a brief look at where the plot is as of the most recent book.

Are you kidding me? He's stretching this storyline over 7 books and doesn't look to be significantly closer to resolving any of the major plot threads? I really enjoyed the first season but was slightly disappointed at the lack of resolution, but series 2 takes the biscuit, with next to no real plot development in five episodes. Now that I know how slowly the plot is going to develop over the next three seasons any enthusiasm I had for this show has completely diminished. So the whitewalkers, which almost seemed to be a "big bad" judging by how they were dealt with in series 1, continue to play a minor role? Daenerys is still stuck in the middle of nowhere?*sigh*

I think this is a challenge the show runners have to deal with in order to ensure it makes a full run.

Famassu

etc

A Song of Ice & Fire sounds too geeky, A Game of Thrones is a name you can market more easily to the crowd that usually doesn't like the fantasy genre.

Series:
Uh... the books are about the competition for the Iron Throne, pretty much. I don't see how you can say nothing happens, a lot of major events have happened and the game of thrones has changed drastically from the first book to ADWD.

Dany isn't "stuck in the middle of nowhere", she decided to stay in a city she conquered with the army she had gotten to learn how to rule one (a thing she has absolutely no experience in, which you can see in ADWD). Also, the White Walkers are starting to become a big thread, they've pretty much launched an all-out war/slaughter-fest against the wildlings that are still north of the Wall. Also, that's another thing that has been kind of "resolved", the wildling threat.

Yes, this IS a slow-moving series, but you're making it sound like nothing has happened. I think that with this kind of slow building storytelling, the payoffs are SO. MUCH. BETTER. than when stuff isn't built up so well or with as much care. Just because the game for the Iron Throne hasn't been settled yet doesn't mean nothing has happened. Please read the books before making ignorant comments.

Snake

scy

A Song of Ice & Fire sounds too geeky, A Game of Thrones is a name you can market more easily to the crowd that usually doesn't like the fantasy genre.

Anecdotal note: I passed on the series for a long time since I (generally) hated fantasy novels and just ignored ASoIaF. A friend in college then kept on and on about me reading "A Game of Thrones" since it was his favorite book. I agreed and upon buying the book, was a little distraught at having the whole "LOL FANTASY NOVEL!!!" being left out of the talk about it. But, hey, I agreed, so I went through with reading it, fantasy be damned...

And, well, here I am now. Read all the books and try to pimp it to everyone I know :x

AngryMoth

Was just thinking that if ever do run into the problem of catching up with George that they could devote a season to covering the events leading up to and including Robert's rebellion. I would actually love to see this, there is a pretty rich basin of material they could cover, and it would be an opportunity to have some of he scenes omitted from season 1.

Chris R

Was just thinking that if ever do run into the problem of catching up with George that they could devote a season to covering the events leading up to and including Robert's rebellion. I would actually love to see this, there is a pretty rich basin of material they could cover, and it would be an opportunity to have some of he scenes omitted from season 1.

I could see this happening. I could also see them doing some Dunk & Egg stuff.

Would suck if it came to that, but whatever :|

SOS
I loved Olenna in the book. Her hag behaviour was very funny, especially in the Cersei POV's. Could be a funny character in the show.
But yes, by removing her, the Margaery character will be more fleshed out.

They can still use
Olenna in the show. They've already established that Margaery is a bit conniving but bringing Olenna into show can still be interesting. We can see who Margaery inherited her manipulative streak from, or alternatively, highlight Olenna as the person who has groomed her to play the game of thrones as well as she has. She's an interesting character and the interactions between Sansa - Olenna - Margaery would be nice to see

I can see them cutting the character but I really hope they don't

gutshot

Don't think they would do this since many of the central mysteries of the series are from the events leading up to Robert's rebellion. Filming a prequel series about those events would effectively ruin the mysteries that book readers are waiting to get answers to in future books.

Not to mention the cost and logistics of having to develop an entirely new series just to fill in for a season or two, it seems highly unlikely.

luoapp

I'd rather they take a hiatus. (Didn't Mad Men do just that?).

Don't think they would do this since many of the central mysteries of the series are from the events leading up to Robert's rebellion. Filming a prequel series about those events would effectively ruin the mysteries that book readers are waiting to get answers to in future books.

Not to mention the cost and logistics of having to develop an entirely new series just to fill in for a season or two, it seems highly unlikely.

Spartacus kind of did this when Andy Whitfield was diagnosed with cancer. Granted, blood and sand was more like a 3 part mini series if i remember correctly.

The journey is what counts, might I recommend reading actual books over wiki'ing their plotlines.

The show really makes me wish (series)
that GRRM would have made Margaery a POV character. Or any of the Tyrells, for that matter. I just find it weird that we've had several POV characters from Dorne (too many, in my opinion), but not a single one from the Tyrells. If not an actual family member, one of Lord Mace's bannermen or perhaps one of Margaery's attendants would have made for a helpful POV.

KingK

HUGE SoS Spoiler:

Well, (ASOS)
Sansa inadvertently helped poison Joffrey because the hairnet she was wearing carried the poison. I believe when Olenna adjusted her hairnet at the feast, that's when she made the slip and took the poison to drop in Joffrey's cup. But I have a felling they're building up Margery to replace the role of Olenna. The way they're making her an obvious player of the game and aged her up makes Olenna kinda unnecessary.

Frost_Ace

that GRRM would have made Margaery a POV character. Or any of the Tyrells, for that matter. I just find it weird that we've had several POV characters from Dorne (too many, in my opinion), but not a single one from the Tyrells. If not an actual family member, one of Lord Mace's bannermen or perhaps one of Margaery's attendants would have made for a helpful POV.

Agreed.

Series
The Tyrells are shits. Fuck them

Randdalf

Well you never know (series)
I'd enjoy a juicy Tyrell prologue/epilogue

dave is ok

aztek is ok
HUGE SoS Spoiler:

In the TV show, it will be Ros

Ysiadmihi

Banned

I dunno, I kind of like how in the books that most of what Margaery does still comes off as mostly innocent since we don't know the actual thoughts in her head, even though her intentions are clear to the reader. Adding POV chapters for her would be like the new scenes in the TV series for Littlefinger that pretty much serve to beat you over the head with "HEY THIS DUDE IS UP TO SOME SHIT!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom