• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

McNei1y

I'm loving the season so far. I can't wait until school is over so I can start the second book. The weeks wait is just too long.

Oh, and speaking of school, one of my teachers spoiled a part of the book for me when she was talking to kids in the front row about it. I got so upset. I wanted to berate my teacher.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno, I kind of like how in the books that most of what Margaery does still comes off as mostly innocent since we don't know the actual thoughts in her head, even though her intentions are clear to the reader. Adding POV chapters for her would be like the new scenes in the TV series for Littlefinger that pretty much serve to beat you over the head with "HEY THIS DUDE IS UP TO SOME SHIT!"

(series)
Yeah, I liked the very selective POV characters selection in the first three books much more than the EVERYONE HAS A GOD DAMN PERSPECTIVE approach in AFFC and ADWD. Once a character becomes a POV character, it can often mean that all their cards will be placed on the table for the audience. I'm glad the Tyrells are still this weird pot of unspent energy waiting to be defined.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
if it's any consolation, the shadow-thing is by far the stupidest thing in the books

Majmun

Melissandre could basically spread her legs and kill all of Westeros is she wanted. But I guess the shadow has limitations.

Or Melisandre is playing her own game of thrones.

Mordeccai

I'd say it's
Maggy the Frog
, actually. It just seems... unnecesary, especially at that point.

I would agree with this. [Series spoilers]
It gets pretty annoying hearing Cersei drone on about the fortune telling bitch. I get that its part of why shes so paranoid and insane, but come on.

Also Melisandre's shadows cannot pass into magically protected areas, and also take a shit load of energy (and Stannis semen.) She can't just conjure them at will, and they're not boundless like real shadows.

Arment

if it's any consolation, the shadow-thing is by far the stupidest thing in the books

Speak for yourself. After Ned's death I thought I wouldn't be shocked again so soon.

It's an important scene for two very good characters as well. You could even say three.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It was cooler in the books, it was actually a shadow. In the show they made it more like a zombie ghost.

I meant more in terms of

"oh, so here's some convenient magic to tie up a plot thread."

Granted, in the book it's much less of an anti-climax, because Renly and Margery are never given a perspective. The abrupt end to Renly's story doesn't feel quite as cheap.

Isn't the shadow thing some kind of plot hole? Why not kill King Joffrey instead or both?

The problem with magic on this show/book is that since its explained early on that magic hasn't existed for years, we as the viewers don't quite understand in what ways it physically worked. For instance, how much does a vaginal assassin drain the one that summons it? How is it conceived in the first place?
Id assume sleeping with Stannis helps :p
I haven't read DwD yet so I don't know if magic is explained, but to this point, they really don't explain any of the magic used in the series. It just happens. (maybe series spoilers?)
I have heard that magic is tied to the return of the dragons

As it stands, the wargs, red priestess, and (acok)
The visions in the House of the Undying
, ect all of which we really have little explanation on.

We just don't know much about it to really question its plausibility in the story.

Arment

I meant more in terms of

"oh, so here's some convenient magic to tie up a plot thread."

Granted, in the book it's much less of an anti-climax, because Renly and Margery are never given a perspective. The abrupt end to Renly's story doesn't feel quite as cheap.

Birthing a shadow is anything but convenient sir.

Isn't the shadow thing some kind of plot hole? Why not kill King Joffrey instead or both?

No it isn't. Not even a little.

Stannis would never take the throne with anything but force of arms. That's why he's leaving Melisandre behind. If she won the crown for him, he would doubted as king by all. Davos laid that out clearly last episode.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I actually like the Beric story and everything surrounding it.

Which makes me a giant hypocrite, I guess.

Majmun

SPOILER I GUESS
I'd say the most annoying thing is the relationship between Tyrion and Shae. I really hated reading that. It dragged on and on and on.

Even in the show their screentime spent together is annoying.

Arment

Nope.

That would be (series)
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaario.

This I can get behind.

AFFC
But not "zombie" Cat. She's not undead, just mutilated and barely healed. I think people dislike her coming back from the dead because they didn't like her character. I didn't mind her though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Extremely mild ACOK
I'd say the most annoying thing is the relationship between Tyrion and Shae. I really hated reading that. It dragged on and on and on.

I like(d) this. It has a fantastic pay-off and it really gave Tyrion that pathetic, human-side that he needed to keep him from becoming the infallible witty-mcwitty of the series.

Arment

Some of that should really be spoiler tagged, Second.

It implies stuff.

Unless we're just done with that in this thread..

Amir0x

Banned
You mean Catelyn?

Yeah, that is pretty strange. But it sure was a shocker.

yeah i meant Cat. For some reason I always do that, switching Cersei's name and Cat's.

I haaaated that so much, because the series <aSoS+>
makes things feel final, and then here is Catelyn with a fucking huge ass gash in her throat walking about like a psycho

I didn't have a problem with <aSoS+>
shadow creature because it is our first real out-and-out taste of what Melisandre's magic can do, and what the magic of the dragons is finally bringing back to the world. It is establishing the darkness of the Red God and its reach. Before magic and its power had disappeared, now it's back. With Zombie Cat I felt like we had been past established that, and Cat was so fucking dead that it would have been retarded to even try to bring her back anyway. It just seemed like a stretch, and a cop out of having that complete finality of the red wedding.

Arment

yeah i meant Cat. For some reason I always do that, switching Cersei's name and Cat's.

makes things feel final, and then here is Catelyn with a fucking huge ass gash in her throat walking about like a psycho

I didn't have a problem with <aSoS+>
shadow creature because it is our first real out-and-out taste of what Melisandre's magic can do, and what the magic of the dragons is finally bringing back to the world. It is establishing the darkness of the Red God and its reach. Before magic and its power had disappeared, now it's back. With Zombie Cat I felt like we had been past established that, and Cat was so fucking dead that it would have been retarded to even try to bring her back anyway. It just seemed like a stretch, and a cop out of having that complete finality of the red wedding.

I liked it because AFFC
it really called back to when Dondarrion was sent by Ned to go meet The Mountain. After all that time he still had great loyalty for Ned. Enough to sacrifice himself to bring his wife back from the dead. It pissed me off a bit because I wanted to see Beric continue on being awesome, but we all know he wasn't the true Azor Ahai now anyways.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
With Melisandre - and this isn't a spoiler, it's pure speculation, since they never talk about her history - but I've always felt her 'big secret' is that... she doesn't have a secret.
She seems so different than the other Red Priest's we've met that I always got the impression she's actually some outcast. Like some heretic or some zealot who was fled Essos and ended up on Dragonstone. Incidently, after the dragons were born and magic was brought back to this world, she started playing up this Red Priest angle to manipulate Stannis, perhaps to go back home with an army of her own or something.

If she's a 'true priest' or anything, you figure'd we'd have heard of her or the other red priests we've met would have been equally as powerful. She'd just be some kind of walking cliche anyway.

Thoros of Myr isn't even in the show, is he? I feel like he was mentioned once in S1 or something.

Arment

With Melisandre - and this isn't a spoiler, it's pure speculation - but I've always felt her 'big secret' is that... she doesn't have a secret. She seems so different than the other Red Priest's we've met that I always got the impression she's actually some outcast. Like some heretic or some zealot who was fled Essos and ended up on Dragonstone. Incidently, after the dragons were born and magic was brought back to this world, she started playing up this Red Priest angle to manipulate Stannis, perhaps to go back home with an army of her own or something.

If she's a 'true priest' or anything, you figure'd we'd have heard of her or the other red priests we've met would have been equally as powerful. She'd just be some kind of walking cliche anyway.

Thoros of Myr isn't even in the show, is he? I feel like he was mentioned once in S1 or something.

Not sure how much of the books you've read but read on if you have finished A Dance with Dragons

ADWD
Thoros raises Beric from the dead several times and also performs a ritual to trade Beric's life for Catelyn's (which is why she isn't a zombie imo). Victarion is given a super strength lava hand by another red priest named Moqorro (who also sees the future in the flames, like Melisandre does). Melisandre is most likely going to do something with Jon here in the future. Melisandre is definitely legit.

About Thoros ASoS/ACoK
I think Thoros will be in the scenes when Beric is reintroduced. At this point in the books, all we've heard about is Thoros and his flaming sword from Robert, I think.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I don't know if this is glossed over in AFFC or ADWD but the way I understand it the shadow thing has range limitations. I always assumed this was the reason why Davos had to take Mel to that cave so she could get down to business. In the book, that part is specifically (ACOK)
so they can kill Cortnay Penrose, who is in the Storm's End building right above that entrance
. They probably can't get close enough for it to work on Joffrey. And yeah, killing Joffrey that way wouldn't amount to much, at least for Stannis. He would still be nowhere near becoming king.

One thing it looks like they won't use in the show is the fact that Stannis (very light ACOK)
gets a bit fucked after she uses that thing, Davos mentions he looked sickly after the deal. Not a huge loss of detail but it helps in keeping it all a bit more grounded (lol) since although it's a very convenient magic it takes its toll on him.

That huge shadow Renly was projecting in the scene got me so hyped for nothing, lol. I was all "oh fuck this is going to be so cool and exactly how I imagined it and… oh". Bit of a shame but still cool I guess.

Peff

Then again she did put an end to "well maybe Sansa is over HERE!" so that's pretty cool.

Majmun

[ASOS/AFFC/ADWD]
Zombie Catelyn is a pretty strange decision taken by GRRM. But her persona has become pretty important. Especially considering Brienne and Jaime. But I still think it's a cheap trick. I hate it when characters die and ressurrect again. Cheap shocks. The same will probably happen to Jon now...

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Not sure how much of the books you've read but read on if you have finished A Dance with Dragons read on...

ADWD
Thoros raises Beric from the dead several times and also performs a ritual to trade Beric's life for Catelyn's (which is why she isn't a zombie imo). Victarion is given a super strength lava hand by another red priest named Moqorro (who also sees the future in the flames, like Melisandre does). Melisandre is most likely going to do something with Jon here in the future. Melisandre is definitely legit.

About Thoros ASoS/ACoK
I think Thoros will be in the scenes when Beric is reintroduced. At this point in the books, all we've heard about is Thoros and his flaming sword from Robert, I think.

The League of Red Priests!

KingK

I can't understand how people hate (ASOS)
UnCat. I thought her reveal in the epilogue was one of the best moments in the series. Top 5, easily. I think it's just the same people who hated Cat before hate her now. I always liked her for the most part, so I loved that development.

Majmun

We don't know that yet do we? A single word was muttered! (if something comes up in DwD than don't even bother replying :p)

[ASOS/AFFC]
Maybe Thoros saw it in his flames and desribed it to Catelyn. She would recognize The Eyrie immediately. Just speculation, of course...

Devil

I can't understand how people hate (ASOS)
UnCat. I thought her reveal in the epilogue was one of the best moments in the series. Top 5, easily. I think it's just the same people who hated Cat before hate her now. I always liked her for the most part, so I loved that development.

Hmm.

I never hated Cat. I just don't know where the fuck Martin is going with this. I should tell you that I haven't read ADWD yet, I'm at AFFC. But still, this is something that really confuses me. So far, "magic" and stuff was introduced very naturally. I never bothered. The shadow assassin of Stannis being an exception, but I dealt with that. The whole undead thing during the brotherhood-storyline and than at the end with Cat on the other hand... I just can see how it will fit into the storyline. She's a damn zombie, wtf.

I love ASOS and I even kind of like that character. I just don't feel right with that... condition.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
[series]
Well, 'zombies' have been in the series from the first chapter of book one. If Beric/Cat has a connection to the wights, I could buy it

Dany

Banned
Hmm.

I never hated Cat. I just don't know where the fuck Martin is going with this. I should tell you that I haven't read ADWD yet, I'm at AFFC. But still, this is something that really confuses me. So far, "magic" and stuff was introduced very naturally. I never bothered. The shadow assassin of Stannis being an exception, but I dealt with that. The whole undead thing during the brotherhood-storyline and than at the end with Cat on the other hand... I just can see how it will fit into the storyline. She's a damn zombie, wtf.

I love ASOS and I even kind of like that character. I just don't feel right with that... condition.

Yeah, I agree. In the same place where you are in the books but yep.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm still reading AFFC so I'm only speaking from (huge ASOS spoiler)
what I read in the epilogue, but UnCat wasn't even out of the realm of possibilities and, although it comes as a shocking reveal, the book establishes more than once that zombie shit is happening all the time with Beric. He dies and is brought back to life several times. Cat only looks like a zombie because they screwed with her so much in the Red Wedding. It's not out of nowhere and in the overall scheme of things it's definitely less "dumb" than the shadow assassin, because from the very first chapter the series tells you there's undead shenanigans at play in this world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom