• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ruined that scene by listening to the soundtrack beforehand. I was expecting the freaking awesome "Finale" track to play over the final scene and end when it cut to black.

Plus the jump to morning was weird. I know that's how it was in the book, but it flowed better reading it, actually seeing it was odd.

3N16MA

Banned
Who else has read the books, looked at that death list and went "Who the hell are all of these people?" I recognized like 10 names.

I listened to the audio books rather than reading and Roy Dotrice does an amazing job through the first 3 (seriously, I cant stress enough how great of a job he did). However he misses a step through the last 2 books. Then again that is a gripe for another thread.

Wray

Any guesses or theories on what the S2 ratings will look like? The marketing campaign has been relentless, and Blu Ray/DVD sales for S1 have been very impressive. Considering S1's finale got around 3m, I can't help but think the premier of S2 will at least get that much as well.

Is 4.0 or higher possible?

I think it's going to push 5.0 for the premiere.

3N16MA

Banned
I believe it moves into 3m+ for every episode this season. True Blood never crossed 2.5m viewers in any episode during S1 and it's finale got 2.45m. However during S2 it debuted to 3.7m and stayed above 3m per episode while closing out to 5.11m. I really believe GoT will move into that territory.

Quick casting question about a potential returning character. I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case: [acok]
Do we know whether Ian McElhinney (Sir. Barriston Selmy) appears in season two?

Quick casting question about a potential returning character. I'll put it in spoiler tags just in case: [acok]

CoK Spoilers
He hasn't been mentioned anywhere and there was no casting for Strong Belwas. Which probably means they're pushed back to season 3, or maybe Belwas is out which would be a shame as he's one of the only entertaining characters in Dany's storyline.

3N16MA

Banned

CoK/ASOS Spoiler:
He should appear as Arstan Whitebeard.

anaron

I ruined that scene by listening to the soundtrack beforehand. I was expecting the freaking awesome "Finale" track to play over the final scene and end when it cut to black.

Plus the jump to morning was weird. I know that's how it was in the book, but it flowed better reading it, actually seeing it was odd.

It was so weirdly executed.

In the novel, there's this huge buildup with Dany appearing (justifiably) crazy in the aftermath of losing her child and husband. She grants her closest people gifts as they openly refuse to serve her, - in the midst of most of the khal leaving - and following this, makes way for the lit funeral pyre unsure but calm, as Jorah freaks the fuck out. Cracking eggs ensue, the fire eventually dies and Dany sits there alive, covered in a deep ash with three newborn dragons. The men who swore not to serve her, now meet her chanting "blood of my blood" and the apprehensive people are now visibly sworn to her forever.

In the episode, you have no resistance, just background extras walking away and then an awkward cut to morning with Jorah, her already sworn protector saying "blood of my blood" and bowing followed by the others. Huh.

Did not seem awkward to me. Not in the least. I'm guessing those who read the books beforehand are the only ones who would find displeasure with that scene. Makes me scared going into season two. Having read the books now, I fear I'll be critic of every scene.

Does anyone really want to like Game of Thrones but can't stop mentally comparing/contrasting it with LOTR? The scope and quality of the production, the characters, the writing, the music, the story, everything clashes horribly for me with the LOTR trilogy.

I feel like Fellowship of the Ring was better than all 10 episodes of season 1.......combined.....

Puddles

Banned
Watching the S1 finale again and the pyre/dragon birth scene still stands out as being terribly underwhelming and lacking the impact it had in the book. Blergh.

It's hard to live up to one of the greatest book scenes ever.

Things I missed:
- Bloodriders spurning her gifts.
- The comet appearing.
- Dramatic egg cracking sounds.

Things I didn't miss:

"streams of milk flowing from her red and swollen nipples"

aFIGurANT

Yeah if you watch some of the interviews that were released just recently for GoT, they're all about this being an HBO show that has some fantasy in it versus just nonstop lore and epic set pieces with a bunch of lore behind them. Basically all the actors say how awesome it is they were able to do the opposite of the LotR thing by making each episode be more about the drama and motivation behind all the plot's twists and turns and basically debunk the fantasy is crap tv notion. Re-watching the season you can definitely see that in the performances and whatnot.

Well in terms of production value and scope, you can't compare a TV show to a film like LOTR. The difference in budget makes it impossible to replicate that on HBO.

anaron

That was what gave that scene dramatic punch, man

LOL I mean.

Btw, just for my own personal reference, I don't dare expect a scope/budget that rivals lotr nor do I think the scene in question required one; I just find how the finale scene was executed cost it a lot of the intended impact.

Vinrau

[Series]
I really hope they show his exit from the city. Though I can't remember which book it's mentioned in.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Haven't followed casting news that closely, but they haven't announced who's playing
Ramsay Snow yet, have they? It's weird, most other major/important characters have been revealed, but not him... It's not exactly someone you can easily cut either. At least I really hope they're not cutting him...

Haven't followed casting news that closely, but they haven't announced who's playing
Ramsay Snow yet, have they? It's weird, most other major/important characters have been revealed, but not him... It's not exactly someone you can easily cut either. At least I really hope they're not cutting him...
It seems likely they've shifted some of Bran's story into season 3.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
(ASOS)

Imo, people should be careful while talking about
Barristan Selmy being Arstan Whitebeard and only tagging it with ACOK. That information is only disclosed way into the third book and it's relatively shocking. I know it won't be a mind-blowing reveal in the TV series because, well, we'll be able to see his face, but still, someone may be reading the third book right now and it wouldn't hurt to use the ASOS tag while talking about this character.

Just a reminder that this is on tonight:

"You Win or You Die" S2 preview will premiere on Sunday, March 25, at 8:30PM ET, and it will be available On Demand beginning March 26th. According to the HBO Schedule:
Highlighted by behind-the-scenes footage, clips and interviews, this feature revisits the events of season 1, introduces new viewers to the many colorful characters and presents an exclusive preview of things to come in season 2.

It's already up on HBO's youtube account if you'd like to watch it there instead. From most of the GAF reports, it's mostly a recap of S1 along with a few tidbits on S2 towards the end.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Cornballer, is this old?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?src_vi...GA&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_327268
I'm glad to have learned that HBO's Rome was among the HBO programs that convinced G.RR.Martin to let HBO adapt the series. I am also glad that he's a big Marvel fan and finds Captain America to have been a good adaptation, whereas he also thinks that Thor was terrible. I didn't think I could like him any more.
He's a real life Santa for us adults.

Mordeccai

I can't help but think that this season is going to be much better than S1. There's no way ratings/viewership won't increase quite a bit. A lot of people I would never have pegged to watch HBO, hell, even fantasy oriented things, are talking about this show on FB and around campus.

Yes! All signs point to S2 having a substantial increase in ratings. If it can come close to True Blood numbers we might actually see the whole damn thing televised.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Does anyone really want to like Game of Thrones but can't stop mentally comparing/contrasting it with LOTR? The scope and quality of the production, the characters, the writing, the music, the story, everything clashes horribly for me with the LOTR trilogy.

I feel like Fellowship of the Ring was better than all 10 episodes of season 1.......combined.....

Considering I HATED LOTR the comparisons make it seem even better. I don't care if many of the fantasy cliches are based on the old LOTR books, they have just been so overused that they are actively annoying to me. Also never been a fan of magic wizards/Dwarves/Elves/giant monsters. Give me sword play, political intrigue, and maybe a dragon or two over wizard bullshit any day. Honestly think ASOIAF is significantly a better read.

True Blood went from averaging 1.99 million viewers in season 1 to 4.28 in season 2. If we get something even in that ballpark, that would be amazing (Thrones averaged 2.5 in season 1).

Without going into specifics they're weaker books than the first 3. Martin's writing has improved and some of the best chapters in the entire series are in ADWD, but they're surrounded by a lot of fluff. The story would have been better off if he had gutted both books and combined them into one, as was originally intended.

I have a tendancy to make them sound worse than they are though. They're not bad by any means and I greatly enjoyed AFFC more on a second reading than I did the first time. I haven't had the time or desire to reread ADWD though.

LuchaShaq

Banned
So I still have to read FFC and DWD..what are the opinions on these books?

If you read them back to back as one giant book? They are great.

If you waited 3-4 years between each book? They are infuriating at the lack of forward movement in certain plot lines.

3N16MA

Banned

[FFC/ADWD]
The two books run in parallel with each other and the stories of the main characters from he first 3 books are split amongst the two. ADWD does not offer much in the way of forward progress if that is what you're expecting and very little of anything revealed in FFC is resolved. Some readers have had issue with the new characters introduced and having to read too much of one characters story.

LiQuid!

I proudly and openly admit to wishing death upon the mothers of people I don't like
I've seen the popularity and trajectory of Game of Thrones being compared with True Blood, which would mean that a 4 is definitely possible. True Blood averaged 2 million viewers per episode in its first season, increasing over the course of the season (ep 11 was high point at 2.67). Thrones averaged 2.5 million viewers per episodes in season 1, with viewership increasing as the season progressed capping with the finale's 3.04.

The second season of True Blood averaged 4.28 million viewers, also increasing over the season (in the 5's the last few episodes, premiered with a 3.7).

Considering Games' critical success, great DVD sales, and HBO marketing the second season pretty hard, I think it will get at least a high 3 for the premiere and could grow in the 4's as the season progresses.

It might just be my inner skeptic but it seems like True Blood panders to a much wider audience than GoT does (adding the considerable female demographic that just wants to see vampires fucking). While there is plenty for chicks to dig in GoT, what with all its empowered female characters, it's all buried under a very dude-ish exterior of titties, violence and animal slaying. You'd be surprised how many times I've heard a woman say she won't watch any more of the show after Lady got killed (off screen, mind) despite the fact that a little boy just got murdered and displayed not 30 seconds prior.

Peru

"(adding the considerable female demographic that just wants to see vampires fucking)" Nice generalizing, dude. Also I've probably seen more women discuss GoT than guys, so..

Piecake

It might just be my inner skeptic but it seems like True Blood panders to a much wider audience than GoT does (adding the considerable female demographic that just wants to see vampires fucking). While there is plenty for chicks to dig in GoT, what with all its empowered female characters, it's all buried under a very dude-ish exterior of titties, violence and animal slaying. You'd be surprised how many times I've heard a woman say she won't watch any more of the show after Lady got killed (off screen, mind) despite the fact that a little boy just got murdered and displayed not 30 seconds prior.

Ratings arent nearly as important to HBO than other networks. What they care about is new subscriptions and dvd/merchandise sales

No idea on the new subscriptions, but dvd/merchadise sales is obviously doing quite well, so I am not too worried about the show getting canceled so long as fans keep buying those dvds

apana

I tried to watch this with my family but they made fun of me when the first sex scene with Tyrion was happening so I closed it and now I'm pissed. They also said Ned Stark was a murderer for chopping that kid's head off.

AngryMoth

Both books are much slower paced than the first 3. I love feast, I think its the best written book in the series, although I don't think this is a particularly common opinion. Conversely, most people really like Dance, but its my least favourite in the series by some way. Way too much time spent on stuff which feels totally inconsequential to the larger narrative and he had to cut the last 100 pages so there is no climax or sense of resolution to any of the plot threads. Both of these books will be a much bigger challenge to adapt to the screen I think.

_Isaac

I tried to watch this with my family but they made fun of me when the first sex scene with Tyrion was happening so I closed it and now I'm pissed. They also said Ned Stark was a murderer for chopping that kid's head off.

What exactly were they telling you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom