• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm trying to remember the notable deaths in book 2.

ACOK
Obviously another Baratheon brother, but anybody else? Most of the serious deaths I can think of are in the next books...

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
tArQw.jpg

Im sure they can pull it off.

CoK
Tyrion will get knocked out
From a recent article: (ACoK)
Front and centre in the Blackwater battle will be “The Imp”, Tyrion Lannister (played by Emmy-winner Peter Dinklage), who is the Hand of the King in the new season —the position that, notoriously, cost Ned Stark (Sean Bean) his life in Season 1.

“While most hour-long TV dramas are filmed in less than 10 days, (that) episode took about a month of wet, muddy night shoots,” Dan Weiss told Entertainment Weekly. “Peter didn’t have to act tired, because, by 5 a.m., (he’d) had . . . rain pouring on him for eight hours straight.”

Amir0x

Banned
Im sure they can pull it off.

CoK
Tyrion will get knocked out

I doubt they can pull it off, really. I mean <possible Season 3/4 spoiler>
in theory the battle is more epic than something out of the LOTR movies, it's just obscene. I hope to god they can do it, though. I just...unless they make that specific episode worth $15,000,000, I can't see how they'll pull it off with any accuracy.

Also I don't think they can dare pull that Tyrion shit again. Plus the <ACoK spoiler>
scene where Tyrion loses his nose would lose most of its power unless it is shown.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm trying to remember the notable deaths in book 2.

ACOK
Obviously another Baratheon brother, but anybody else? Most of the serious deaths I can think of are in the next books...

Here is a list of deaths from ACoK:

Maester Cressen
Praed
Beric Dondarrion
Ser Burton Crakehall
Hendry Bracken
Lyman Darry
Allar Deem
Ser Hubard Rambton
Doreah
Woth
Dobber
Qyle
Gerren
Koss
Yoren
Kurz
Lommy Greenhands
All-for-Joffrey
Medger Cerwyn
Chiswyck
Stafford Lannister
Rupert Brax
Roland Crakehall
Antario Jast
Lymond Vikary
Renly Baratheon
Stevron Frey
Reek
Donella Hornwood
Emmon Cuy
Robar Royce
Todric
Benfred Tallhart
Weese
Poul Pemford
Myles
Aron Santagar
High Septon
Ser Preston Greenfield
Alfyn Crowkiller
Ser Cortnay Penrose
Leo Lefford
Alebelly
Mikken
Ser Amory Lorch
Septon Chayle
Drennan
Squint
Gelmarr the Grim
Aggar
Gynir Rednose
Farlen
Ser Mandon Moore
Ser Guyard Morrigen
Maester Tothmure
Lucan
Goodwife Harra
Bryce Caron
Ser Bryan Fossoway
Ser Edwyd Fossoway
Ser Rodrik Cassel
Leobald Tallhart
Cley Cerwyn
Red Rolfe
Kenned
Black Lorren
Ulf
Squire Dalbridge
Ebben
Qhorin Halfhand
Poxy Tym
Maester Luwin

Copy/pasted from westeros.org forum

Maester Cressen
Praed
Beric Dondarrion
Ser Burton Crakehall
Hendry Bracken
Lyman Darry
Allar Deem
Ser Hubard Rambton
Doreah
Woth
Dobber
Qyle
Gerren
Koss
Yoren
Kurz
Lommy Greenhands
All-for-Joffrey
Medger Cerwyn
Chiswyck
Stafford Lannister
Rupert Brax
Roland Crakehall
Antario Jast
Lymond Vikary
Renly Baratheon
Stevron Frey
Reek
Donella Hornwood
Emmon Cuy
Robar Royce
Todric
Benfred Tallhart
Weese
Poul Pemford
Myles
Aron Santagar
High Septon
Ser Preston Greenfield
Alfyn Crowkiller
Ser Cortnay Penrose
Leo Lefford
Alebelly
Mikken
Ser Amory Lorch
Septon Chayle
Drennan
Squint
Gelmarr the Grim
Aggar
Gynir Rednose
Farlen
Ser Mandon Moore
Ser Guyard Morrigen
Maester Tothmure
Lucan
Goodwife Harra
Bryce Caron
Ser Bryan Fossoway
Ser Edwyd Fossoway
Ser Rodrik Cassel
Leobald Tallhart
Cley Cerwyn
Red Rolfe
Kenned
Black Lorren
Ulf
Squire Dalbridge
Ebben
Qhorin Halfhand
Poxy Tym
Maester Luwin

Wow. I don't think
Lord Beric
counts, though. Also that last one on your list dies in book 3. And I bet they'll keep
Doreah
around longer than in the books.

Amir0x

Banned
It's not my list, someone on westeros.org made it. I didn't proof it.

I agree with you on <ACoK>
Lord Beric, since even if we call him as dead, he still functionally continues acting as a character in the series, so effectively he might as well be alive.

Arment

ACOK
Honestly I don't care if the battle is presented too accurately.

It's not a big budget movie. I'd prefer the show stay afloat and keep within their budget. Use tricks to make it look big. Change the story to scale down the numbers. Whatever.

Amir0x

Banned
if we're just going to say fuck it, who gives a shit for accuracy in a scene as important as that, then imo they should just cancel the show.

I know it's a tall order and I know the budget is large, but there is just some things you cannot fake or take shortcuts on without sacrificing critical elements of the scene, and the scale of these things is one of them.

apana

I'm not worried about (book 2 spoiler):
the battle of blackwater. They have roughly a 70 million budget this season. They could feasiby spend 10-15 million on that blackwater episode. To tell you the truth that whole battle was never a bid deal for me. All I really need to see are the ships going in and green fire raining down on them. The battle at the end with Tyrion getting knocked out won't be all that CGI heavy. Maybe a few shots of broken ships burning down. We also need good house of undying vision and wolves to make this season perfect.

Arment

I'd rather they didn't cancel the show because they weren't able to show the full amount of people in a battle on screen at once. You figure with that technology they used in the Lord of the Rings to make large scale battles look good with all the little AI soldiers that they'd be able to do that now on the cheap, considering it's been ~10 years.

I'd rather they didn't cancel the show because they weren't able to show the full amount of people in a battle on screen at once. You figure with that technology they used in the Lord of the Rings to make large scale battles look good with all the little AI soldiers that they'd be able to do that now on the cheap, considering it's been ~10 years.

Yep. Massive is awesome and even recently used in Hugo.

AngryMoth

The one shot I desperately want to see is (ACOK)
the attackers running across the bridge of broken ships, wildfire everywhere, and Tyrion says, "those are brave men. Lets go kill them" and they charge towards them. If we get that shot I'll be happy but I seriously doubt it. George said in an interview that there's simply no way they can film like its written and that there will have to be compromises. He's writing the episode so hopefully he makes the best calls.
What I am wondering is how they are gonna handle (ACOK spoilers)
Tyrion's nose being chopped off
. I would actually prefer if they didn't follow the book on that one.
I'm guessing (ACOK)
he'll just end up with a big scar. It'd be an awful lot of makeup work each episode for the rest of the series otherwise.

Arment

You know I must have totally spaced but I didn't realize Natalie Dormer was cast as Margaery Tyrell.

I think they missed the mark on that one. Natalie Dormer always plays such naughty women and I imagined Margaery as a little more innocent. I hope she pulls it off well.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood

Did anyone get a chance to watch this yet? I'm curious if there's any new footage or information of note.

Cornballer said:
- "You Win or You Die" special from HBO (22 minutes, youtube)
Enter the world of the hit HBO series 'Game of Thrones' in this vivid and illuminating special that revisits the stunning events of Season 1, introduces the major players, and presents a tantalizing peek at Season 2.

This is the special that is going to air on HBO this Sunday.

KingGondo

Banned
It won't happen, IMO. I could see him getting a deep facial scar though. It would convey the same effect and would be easier for the makeup/effects crew to handle.

I am 99% sure that they just won't do it. They'll (ACOK)
just give him some big scars or something

Did anyone get a chance to watch this yet? I'm curious if there's any new footage or information of note.

I've watched the first 16 minutes but then my lunch break was over.

Some great interviews and a season 1 recap as told by the cast and crew. It looked like after the first 16 minutes they were about to get into season 2 stuff.

AngryMoth

I didn't notice anything new, just footage from the trailers. its mostly recapping last season and setting the scene for this year. Most notable thing is David Benioff's terrifying facial hair. Worth watching though, its a good refresher for casual viewers.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Maester Cressen
Praed
Beric Dondarrion
Ser Burton Crakehall
Hendry Bracken
Lyman Darry
Allar Deem
Ser Hubard Rambton
Doreah
Woth
Dobber
Qyle
Gerren
Koss
Yoren
Kurz
Lommy Greenhands
All-for-Joffrey
Medger Cerwyn
Chiswyck
Stafford Lannister
Rupert Brax
Roland Crakehall
Antario Jast
Lymond Vikary
Renly Baratheon
Stevron Frey
Reek
Donella Hornwood
Emmon Cuy
Robar Royce
Todric
Benfred Tallhart
Weese
Poul Pemford
Myles
Aron Santagar
High Septon
Ser Preston Greenfield
Alfyn Crowkiller
Ser Cortnay Penrose
Leo Lefford
Alebelly
Mikken
Ser Amory Lorch
Septon Chayle
Drennan
Squint
Gelmarr the Grim
Aggar
Gynir Rednose
Farlen
Ser Mandon Moore
Ser Guyard Morrigen
Maester Tothmure
Lucan
Goodwife Harra
Bryce Caron
Ser Bryan Fossoway
Ser Edwyd Fossoway
Ser Rodrik Cassel
Leobald Tallhart
Cley Cerwyn
Red Rolfe
Kenned
Black Lorren
Ulf
Squire Dalbridge
Ebben
Qhorin Halfhand
Poxy Tym
Maester Luwin

Hahaha, just imagine being a non reader and seeing this list, without highlighting it. It's so long I'm sure the only reaction would be

:O

Hahaha, just imagine being a non reader and seeing this list, without highlighting it. It's so long I'm sure the only reaction would be

:O

We'll be lucky to get even half of that list's names said aloud in the show. But yeah, it is funny how much death there is in this series.

Read the book twice, don't remember half the names on the list. :S

Anyway lots of characters on that list won't show up in the TV series. Plenty of folks already have trouble remembering the main houses and their banner men.

It's mostly just a recap of season 1, but there are a few new shots here in there, but nothing important. Footage from season 2 as far as I can tell only shows up in the first couple of minutes and the last few. I did skip through most of the middle portion, but as far as I can tell it was just a recap of season 1 with nothing new.

Rokam

Just finished A Golden Crown. Shit is starting to come together. The DVDs are all 2 episodes per disc, so 2 left should finish just in time for the new season assuming netflix doesn't screw me.

bengraven

Wow. I don't think
Lord Beric
counts, though. Also that last one on your list dies in book 3. And I bet they'll keep
Doreah
around longer than in the books.

{COK SPOILERS}
Luwin does in fact die in Book 2. Him and Rodrik Cassel are the big deaths for me, though obviously not as big as Ned in 1 and the ones in 3. Bran's story ends with him leaving the tomb, seeing Luwin dying, then going off into the woods. Luwin's death is actually the one time in the series I teared up over a death.

apana

There are some new shots of season 2 in the opening and towards the end we get a new scene (few seconds long) with Dany and her dragon.

If Starz can spend $70 million on Camelot HBO can spend enough to have such an important scene done right.

I think the budget for this season is close to $70 million.

{COK SPOILERS}
Luwin does in fact die in Book 2. Him and Rodrik Cassel are the big deaths for me, though obviously not as big as Ned in 1 and the ones in 3. Bran's story ends with him leaving the tomb, seeing Luwin dying, then going off into the woods. Luwin's death is actually the one time in the series I teared up over a death.

ahh yes, thanks. I was super bummed about that character dying.
He was the best maester
. Going to be really tough to watch in the show!

The other one you mentioned was sad too, especially in the manner that it happened :(

apana

Should have been in this as
Melisandre

Meh I'm happy with the Carice Van Houten choice and wouldn't change it. She seems to fit very naturally into the role.

I've only seen clips of Camelot on you tube and visually there is some stuff I'm impressed with, some of the sweeping shots and castles, but the set and costumes are just so dry. In Game of Thrones all the costumes and these other little details are so rich and full of life, it is on a completely different level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom