• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddles

Banned
There's no way to just pay HBO $15/month or whatever and watch their shows online?

I would totally do that. At the moment I can't afford to shell out $60/month or whatever it is for regular cable, let along regular cable + HBO.

I'll probably end up trekking across town every Sunday to watch it at a friend's house.

apana

Eva Green always looks so depressed and serious in her roles. Carice Van Houten has a certain sort of maturity and confidence that works for Melisandre.

I know there has only been a brief view so far, but I'm concerned the CGI Direwolves are going to look shit.

Well Robb's wolf Grey Wind looks good. It doesn't look like a direwolf, just a big wolf in general. I'm most interested to see what Summer and Ghost look like and how much they will show up.

KingK

Eva Green always looks so depressed and serious in her roles. Carice Van Houten has a certain sort of maturity and confidence that works for Melisandre.

Well Robb's wolf Grey Wind looks good. It doesn't look like a direwolf, just a big wolf in general. I'm most interested to see what Summer and Ghost look like and how much they will show up.

yeah, Summer and Ghost (especially Summer) really need to be shown a lot more than they were in season 1. Grey Wind looked really good in the few seconds we've seen, so I have hope.

I'm sure we'll see Summer and Ghost.

I'm happy it looks like we will see a significant about of Grey Wind this season. He was not glimpsed even once if I recall correctly after Robb left Winterfell last season.

apana

Where are the dragons?

Oh they are hunting right now.

Hey what happened to Ghost?

He is off hunting.

Hey Bran where is Summer?

He's taking a nap and then he'll go hunting.

KingK

I just watched that Pledge Your Allegiance -- House Stark video again

(series spoilers)
every time Arya says "They call him the Young Wolf. They say he can't be killed," I start to get a little misty eyed. She seems so proud of Robb :'(
And then "From this time, until the end of time, we are a free and independent kingdom." Fucking Freys man...

Where are the dragons?

Oh they are hunting right now.

Hey what happened to Ghost?

He is off hunting.

Hey Bran where is Summer?

He's taking a nap and then he'll go hunting.
(CoK)
Summer is a really important part of Bran's storyline starting this season, so I hope they don't shy away from showing him a lot. Ghost and to a lesser degree Grey Wind are also important, obviously, but I'd say that Summer is easily the most significant Direwolf at this point.
(i'm not sure if that's really a spoiler, but I tagged it just in case)

squidyj

I don't understand why the OP says Liam Cunningham is added as Davos in season 2? Liam Cunningham played Davos in season 1 already.

Just watched Black Death on Netflix.

Carice van Houten is going to kick ass as Melisandre.

Having seen the film before she was announced I was very happy to hear of her casting. She and Stannis seem perfect for their roles, I just hope they include the first chapter as the opening scene like they did with series one.

I was at dinner tonight and noticed a little Game of Thrones reference on the drink menu. (mulled wine)

Y4TCg.jpg

Bowdz

Just bought the first season on Blu-ray and finished it in under 24 hours. Definitely an amazing series so far. Having never read the books, I don't know exactly what to expect, but it looks like the proverbial shit will hit the fan in season 2.

Just bought the first season on Blu-ray and finished it in under 24 hours. Definitely an amazing series so far. Having never read the books, I don't know exactly what to expect, but it looks like the proverbial shit will hit the fan in season 2.

For your own safety stick to the non-spoiler/book thread.

Everything gets spoiler tagged in here but the occasional slip or inferred reference gets through.

Edit: What Cornballer said ^

snack

Just finished the first season. Wowzers. I am impressed with this show! I dunno where to begin. It's simply amazing.

On a slight side note, I'd recommend the Podcast of Ice and Fire for folks who have read the books

[series spoiler image of a tweet:] http://tinyurl.com/7bsk5ob

There's a lot of snark and downright nitpick nonsense in their reviews of S1, but it didn't take long for me to become a fan of the hosts.
http://podcastoficeandfire.com/

Sorry, I listened to a couple of their podcasts and just couldn't stand the absolute minutiae that bothered them. Interestingly, I noticed that some of them were wrong about what they remembered from the books too but were still annoyed even when it was pointed out to them.

AngryMoth

On a slight side note, I'd recommend the Podcast of Ice and Fire for folks who have read the books

There's a lot of snark and downright nitpick nonsense in their reviews of S1, but it didn't take long for me to become a fan of the hosts.
Haha, yeah Mimi really hates Sansa. I enjoy this podcast, they're all very knowledgeable of the books and they frequently have Elio and co on so I get quite a lot of good insights, and its pretty funny as well. I wouldn't recommend anyone listen to their game of thrones episodes though unless you're an absolute purest, they get wound up by the tiniest things. I remember 20 minute bitchfests about why the Dothraki don't look Mongolian, or why Robert's hair isn't black.

(CoK)

No earthly way they actually cut Tyrion's nose off on the show. He'll just have one big scar on the one side of his face next season.

Bank it.

Drazgul

(CoK)

No earthly way they actually cut Tyrion's nose off on the show. He'll just have one big scar on the one side of his face next season.

Bank it.

That's fine, as long as they make it look ugly as hell instead of some 'cool' vertical scar over the eye thing.

Any guesses or theories on what the S2 ratings will look like? The marketing campaign has been relentless, and Blu Ray/DVD sales for S1 have been very impressive. Considering S1's finale got around 3m, I can't help but think the premier of S2 will at least get that much as well.

Is 4.0 or higher possible?

Any guesses or theories on what the S2 ratings will look like? The marketing campaign has been relentless, and Blu Ray/DVD sales for S1 have been very impressive. Considering S1's finale got around 3m, I can't help but think the premier of S2 will at least get that much as well.

Is 4.0 or higher possible?

I've seen the popularity and trajectory of Game of Thrones being compared with True Blood, which would mean that a 4 is definitely possible. True Blood averaged 2 million viewers per episode in its first season, increasing over the course of the season (ep 11 was high point at 2.67). Thrones averaged 2.5 million viewers per episodes in season 1, with viewership increasing as the season progressed capping with the finale's 3.04.

The second season of True Blood averaged 4.28 million viewers, also increasing over the season (in the 5's the last few episodes, premiered with a 3.7).

Considering Games' critical success, great DVD sales, and HBO marketing the second season pretty hard, I think it will get at least a high 3 for the premiere and could grow in the 4's as the season progresses.

3N16MA

Banned
(CoK)

Bank it.

I hope they do. It was described and mentioned so many times in the books that I want to see it
hacked off

apana

I bought the game of thrones blu ray and I'm watching it on my laptop at the moment but the audio commentaries aren't working. I mean I can sort of hear them but their voices sound all metallic and scratchy. Anyone else have this problem?

Saw a shortened Seven Devils ad in the pre-trailer-ads before Hunger Games. Some part of me still isn't used to walking around seeing ASOIAF/GOT stuff like this lol.

anaron

I think Carice is owning Melisandre in presence. She has shown so far, to bring the alluring esoteric quality out wonderfully.

And I can already see her
scaring the shit out of me with the shadow baby scene.

ahh yes, thanks. I was super bummed about that character dying.
He was the best maester
. Going to be really tough to watch in the show!
Better than Aemon?

Which episode is that quote from?

Saw a shortened Seven Devils ad in the pre-trailer-ads before Hunger Games. Some part of me still isn't used to walking around seeing ASOIAF/GOT stuff like this lol.

It's weird having all of my friends talking about the series whereas before no one would know what the heck I was talking about. I mean, I know the books were incredibly popular before the show, but the series is on a whole different level now

bengraven

Just noticed this and wanted to ask:

Have they grown up a bit? I know they got together on Something Awful and that first year's worth of podcasts was pretty rough, both in terms of recording quality and really awkward conversations.

Mimi I liked a lot, though I have to admit she was first and foremost. I remember her wanting to rant about her Pokemon.

I even remember the episode gutshot was on...he seemed a bit uncomfortable around them.
Mostly kidding.

Just noticed this and wanted to ask:

Have they grown up a bit? I know they got together on Something Awful and that first year's worth of podcasts was pretty rough, both in terms of recording quality and really awkward conversations.

Mimi I liked a lot, though I have to admit she was first and foremost. I remember her wanting to rant about her Pokemon.

I even remember the episode gutshot was on...he seemed a bit uncomfortable around them.
Mostly kidding.

Yea, the quality is definitely better in the later episodes. And yea, Mimi is pretty cool but I'd say Amin is my favorite. He's clearly the most knowledgeable of the group in terms of the books.

I didn't like their reviews of S1 for the most part, although the later ones were good. Especially the two eps they do with Larry Williams lol. Overall I prefer their discussion of the books, especially when Elio or Fabio guest host

LuchaShaq

Banned
(CoK)

Bank it.

As long as his role in the battle isn't a joke like last season I'm fine (was by far my biggest and only notable issue with S1).

bengraven

Yea, the quality is definitely better in the later episodes. And yea, Mimi is pretty cool but I'd say Amin is my favorite. He's clearly the most knowledgeable of the group in terms of the books.

I didn't like their reviews of S1 for the most part, although the later ones were good. Especially the two eps they do with Larry Williams lol. Overall I prefer their discussion of the books, especially when Elio or Fabio guest host

I'll have to check it out again. They were really the only decent source of GRRM podcasting when I had just read the books and was still eager to talk about the series.

Ha, just noticed you said Larry Williams. Now I gotta hear this.

I'll have to check it out again. They were really the only decent source of GRRM podcasting when I had just read the books and was still eager to talk about the series.

Ha, just noticed you said Larry Williams. Now I gotta hear this.

In terms of more serious podcasts, check out the All Leather Must Be Boiled one, which is a more serious analysis of the ASOIAF series and television show
http://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-boiled-leather-audio-hour/id493837433

anaron

Watching the S1 finale again and the pyre/dragon birth scene still stands out as being terribly underwhelming and lacking the impact it had in the book. Blergh.

Bigfoot

Watching the S1 finale again and the pyre/dragon birth scene still stands out as being terribly underwhelming and lacking the impact it had in the book. Blergh.

Really? I thought the exact opposite.

However I read the books after season 1 so I didn't know what was coming.

Who else has read the books, looked at that death list and went "Who the hell are all of these people?" I recognized like 10 names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom