• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tess3ract

Banned
iblNA4jj167T5a.gif

Amir0x

Banned
Guys, I need some clarification on an important aspect of this episode.

Who is the wealthiest man in Qarth?

well, I was starting to think
it was Xaro, but now I'm thinking... Xaro?
<<phew, that was a close one with the spoiler tags!>>

Fun Fact: He used to have nothing, now he has everything.

Altazor

Guys, I need some clarification on an important aspect of this episode.

Who is the wealthiest man in Qarth?

Ducksauce, but now he's not only the richest, wealthiest man in Qarth - he is also the KING, which is a bit more important than being the richest man in Qarth. He started with nothing but now he's got everything, and he's the King and the richest man in Qarth.
Isn't that swell?

Also, FUCK that Dagmer/Luwin gif... my eeeeeeyes, ahhh my eeeeeeeeyeeeees...

EDIT: O SNAP, i forgot to tag spoilerzzzz :(

Fascinating to see how apparently fans of the books seem to be hatin on the series here. This is one of those situations where I'm glad I didn't read those and can just enjoy it without complaining because this or that is different.

It's an adaptation, hard to understand for some apparently. This series is incredible and that last episode was again incredible. Fantastic direction, gorgeous cinematography, performances are outstanding as always (Jaime, Theon, Tyrion, etc). However, there is one storyline that I don't give a shit about from the very beginning: Daenery's, I don't like the character, I don't like that it feels totally separate from the rest of it (on purpose but still). It's for me the only thing that drags the episodes down.

Amir0x

Banned
when you know something is done better elsewhere, you're going to complain about the differences. Only natural. Trying to say you're glad you're ignorant because there's a better product that might ruin your image of the inferior product is not really a severe criticism of the people leveling complaints toward the series.

And in any event, you think the direction is "fantastic", which it clearly is not by any standard (and this has nothing to do with reading the books), so I'm not even sure you're a good judge of film/tv in general.

It's a good show, don't get me wrong, but it has significant problems.

FStop7

Banned
It was kind of funny.

Last week, when Dany discovered her people were dead and the dragons missing.

"Xaro did it."

She angrily demands that Jorah find out who took her dragons.

"Xaro did it."

Xaro's puffed up speech about her being under his protection and that he would never permit such a thing to happen.

"Xaro did it."

The confrontation and "reveal" that Xaro did it.

*facepalm*

Dany

Banned
I love the tv show and I love the books. They are very similar but different in many more ways. One does not ruin the other in this case.

Speevy

Banned
They missed a golden comedic moment.

Right after the maester is like BWWWEEEEEEENOOOOOOOOO!

*someone taps on Theon's shoulder*

"Hodor."

TheContact

It was kind of funny.

Last week, when Dany discovered her people were dead and the dragons missing.

"Xaro did it."

She angrily demands that Jorah find out who took her dragons.

"Xaro did it."

Xaro's puffed up speech about her being under his protection and that he would never permit such a thing to happen.

"Xaro did it."

The confrontation and "reveal" that Xaro did it.

*facepalm*

Seriously. It was so painfully obvious that Xaro did it that I didn't think it could be that obvious.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Haven't read the books in a long time, so couldn't remember if some scenes were also in the books.

Like did Jaimi kill his nephew in the book? It kinda seemed out of character and really pointless.

The same with Xaro and Blue lip dude going all "Godfather 3 helicopter scene" on the council. Couldn't remember if that happened in the books.

Amir0x

Banned
Haven't read the books in a long time, so couldn't remember if some scenes were also in the books.

Like did Jaimi kill his nephew in the book? It kinda seemed out of character and really pointless.

The same with Xaro and Blue lip dude going all "Godfather 3 helicopter scene" on the council. Couldn't remember if that happened in the books.

no to both

Ferrio

Banned
Jaime killing his cousin was really outta place. So far one of my biggest complains about the adaptation. Really soils his character

edit: fixed.

Amir0x

Banned
but surely creepy dude X 13 did not come from nothing?

Coming from nothing and then having everything is surely worth something?

Favorite Dany moment of the entire season happened in that last ep: her telling Xaro to stfu before he could finish telling her his backstory for the billionth time.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
no to both

Thought so. Don't know what the writers were trying to do, but I don't see the logic behind it. Jaimi simply wouldn't kill his cousin (lol) for some foolish escape plan. He could be ruthless, but he was never cruel. And this whole selfish and dishonerable act goes against everything he did
and will do
in the series. It's like they went purely for shockeffect on that one.

edit: and yes I am aware he tossed a 7 year old out of a window. But even there it was to protect.

frequency

I like that we got more Jon this episode.

I don't think I like what they're doing with his story though...

Dany stuff continues to suck. But I'm biased against her from the books so maybe it's just me.

I don't mind changes from the books for the most part. A lot of it is still enjoyable. I'm just a little more bothered about Jon because I always really liked him. The show version of Jon just seems really... dumb.
He also needs way more screen time. Cut that stupid Dany stuff for more Jon! And the Arya/Tywin stuff has overstayed it's welcome. It's not really entertaining anymore and it's not going anywhere. Cut some of that for more Jon time too!

Zoibie

Fascinating to see how apparently fans of the books seem to be hatin on the series here. This is one of those situations where I'm glad I didn't read those and can just enjoy it without complaining because this or that is different.

It's an adaptation, hard to understand for some apparently. This series is incredible and that last episode was again incredible. Fantastic direction, gorgeous cinematography, performances are outstanding as always (Jaime, Theon, Tyrion, etc). However, there is one storyline that I don't give a shit about from the very beginning: Daenery's, I don't like the character, I don't like that it feels totally separate from the rest of it (on purpose but still). It's for me the only thing that drags the episodes down.

Agreed. The only reason why I'm interested in that part of the story at all are the dragons and what they set up for the coming seasons. I'm about to start reading book 2 and I hope Daenerys doesn't come off as as much of a petulant shit as she is in the show.

Also, that reminds me, Varys has been almost completely absent these past few episodes. Not a complaint (although Varys is a great character), just an observation.

Amir0x

Banned
Thought so. Don't know what the writers were trying to do, but I don't see the logic behind it. Jaimi simply wouldn't kill his cousin (lol) for some foolish escape plan. He could be ruthless, but he was never cruel. And this whole selfish and dishonerable act goes against everything he did
and will do

edit: and yes I am aware he tossed a 7 year old out of a window. But even there it was to protect.

Regarding Jaime, reading the novels, it's clear he would have no problem killing a relative. It's just now they put that cold calculating aspect of his character front and center.

I just didn't really appreciate that we had to sit through a long conversation from a boy who viewed Jaime as an idol, which went on a little too long as it was, only for THAT to be the end

Kud Dukan

and will do

Yeah, I'm usually VERY good at separating the novels from the show and just enjoying the show for what it is, but that scene isn't sitting well with me. I still think it was a fantastic scene, but just didn't think it was something Jaime would have done.

Of course, my opinion on this has moved back and forth a lot today, so I may feel differently an hour from now. :p

DAT SCORE in the final scene. So good.

And I've given up comparing the show to the books since I saw what happened with Arya's story. Errbody just try to enjoy the show on its own.

Dragon

Banned
Favorite Dany moment of the entire season happened in that last ep: her telling Xaro to stfu before he could finish telling her his backstory for the billionth time.

Favorite Dany moment? What a contradictory statement. Dany's storyline has moved at a snail's pace. There are three episodes left. I wonder if she'll even get her dragons back by the end of the season.

ronito

Well, and the other thing to consider is that it gives Dany motivation when
she burns the house of the undying
. From these perspectives I get it... I'm more curious as to where Xaro is going really. Is Xaro to be a character that stays everpresent now, considering his enlarged role?

I think that (ADWD)
they're going for this thing to make Xaro really dangerous and someone to fear. If you think about it from a TV writing point of view, when in book 6 Dany goes to war with Qarth it'd be really difficult to keep track of 13 villains. You could do it but at the cost of diluting the characters to the audience to the point non-relevance. I think it's a brilliant move. Make Xaro a strong shadow over the whole thing and then when he threatens Dany in book 5 it will mean something and make it easier when you have to do season 6. Further it makes Dany HAVE to go to house of the undying, instead of CHOOSING to go. I think that's important, even in the book her motivations seemed unclear/unrelateable and it gives her the motivation for burning the whole place down without making her seem like a scared petulant kid.
Really I'm digging this change. I think it works on many different levels.

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Regarding Jaime, reading the novels, it's clear he would have no problem killing a relative. It's just now they put that cold calculating aspect of his character front and center.

I just didn't really appreciate that we had to sit through a long conversation from a boy who viewed Jaime as an idol, which went on a little too long as it was, only for THAT to be the end

I never really got that impression. I always thought he was obsessed with acting honorably after the Kingslaying thing. He spared Ned in that dual after foulplay. But then again it has been like 5 years since I read the books, so I could be remembering it diffrently.

Bebpo

Banned
I haven't even seen the ep, but just hearing about the Jaime scene makes me mad.

It's one thing to complain when the adaptation is not as good and doesn't have the depth/cast/story that the books have. That's expected in adaptations and not too surprising.

But when they literally go against everything a character is...that basically gives the finger to the original source material.

ASOS:
I've only read through ASOS (just finished it last night), but Jaime is basically the most honorable morally good character in the series by the end of that book. It's going to be hard for people to like him and feel like he's a "good" person and one of the closest to a "hero" in S4 after what he apparently does in this ep.

Zabka

I never really got that impression. I always thought he was obsessed with acting honorably after the Kingslaying thing. He spared Ned in that dual after foulplay. But then again it has been like 5 years since I read the books, so I could be remembering it diffrently.

They didn't fight in the books. Jaime had his men kill Ned's guys as a punishment and let him live.

After he tried to kill the guy's kid. Cuz he's honorable.

Amir0x

Banned

I haven't even seen the ep, but just hearing about the Jaime scene makes me mad.

It's one thing to complain when the adaptation is not as good and doesn't have the depth/cast/story that the books have. That's expected in adaptations and not too surprising.

But when they literally go against everything a character is...that basically gives the finger to the original source material.

ASOS:
I've only read through ASOS (just finished it last night), but Jaime is basically the most honorable morally good character in the series by the end of that book. It's going to be hard for people to like him and feel like he's a "good" person and one of the closest to a "hero" in S4 after what he apparently does in this ep.

Poster scosher made a really illuminating post on the subject, showing pretty clearly Jaime has virtually no feelings for anyone in his family that is not Tyrion, Cersei and Tywin (and probably his kids, not sure there).

scosher said:
Jaime does not give a shit about his relatives outside of his nuclear family.

From Book 2:

Quote:
Cersei would have him killed out of hand if she learned he was betraying her, and if by some grace of the gods she did not, Lancel would never survive the day Jaime Lannister returned to King's Landing. The only question would be whether Jaime cut him down in a jealous rage, or Cersei murdered him first to keep Jaime from finding out.

Again in Book 2, in a conversation between Jaime and Catelyn:

Quote:
"You admit to being your sister's lover?"
"I've always loved my sister, and you owe me two answers. Do all my kin still live?"
"Ser Stafford Lannister was slain at Oxcross, I am told."
Jaime was unmoved. "Uncle Dolt, my sister called him. it's Cersei and Tyrion who concern me. As well as my lord father."

From Book 3, in regards to Jaime's opinion of his cousin,
Cleos Frey
:

Quote:
They found Cleos still tangled in his stirrup. He had an arrow through his right arm and a second in his chest, but it was the ground that had done for him. The top of his head was matted with blood and mushy to the touch, pieces of broken bone moving under the skin beneath the pressure of Jaime's hand.
Brienne knelt and held his hand. "He's still warm."
"He'll cool soon enough. I want his horse and his clothes. I'm weary of rags and fleas."
"He was your cousin." The wench was shocked.
"Was," Jaime agreed. "Have no fear, I am amply provisioned in cousins.

After these, it's pretty clear they're just putting Jaime's described coldness in plain view for the tv audience, since it'd be a waste of time to try to hear someone tell of it with how little time we spend with Jaime so far.

ronito

Yeah, I don't get all the gripe about Jamie in the episode. I certainly wouldn't have put it past him. It's exactly the way the character's portrayed. I know we as book readers want him to be the guy we know in books 3 and 4 but that's not who he was in books 1 and 2.

I'm halfway through CoK but I haven't seen anything to indicate that Jaime cares at all about honor or family. There are specific mentions about Jaime having a soft spot in his heart for Tyrion, but why is everyone insinuating that he would NEVER do something like that? Was his cousin even a "true" Lannister (signature gold locks are missing)?

So far, Jaime has:

-Murdered a king he was sworn to protect
-Attempted to murder a small boy after Jaime was caught banging his twin sister
-Murdered Ned's personal guard/men

What are his "values", with all of this in mind? Tyrion hints in the show that Jaime will be FURIOUS with Lancel if he finds out he was banging Cersei, and in the book (CoK),
Tyrion basically says that Cersei trying to "replace" Jaime with Lancel was a death sentence for the boy, because either Cersei OR Jaime will kill him if Cersei and Jaime are ever reunited.

I think some of you build this characters up in your heads without a whole lotta correlation to the text. I agree with the scene being way too long (and a little pointless...why not fake his death), but from what we've seen with Jaime, it's not far from his actions. He's in the heart of the enemy, humiliated, and literally stewing in his own shit and piss. He was an asshole BEFORE any of that--he's probably 10x worse/desperate now.

EDIT: Totally beaten by scosher/Amirox
lol.gif

Magnus

Jaime is a fucking monster. An occasionally hilarious one with great comedic timing, but right now, a monster. He may show signs of humanity every now and then, but the end of that scene reminded us who he is, a selfish, ruthless fuck who'll do almost anything it takes to get what he wants and needs.

Nothing he did was out of character this episode, as far as I'm concerned.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm halfway through CoK but I haven't seen anything to indicate that Jaime cares at all about honor or family. There are specific mentions about Jaime having a soft spot in his heart for Tyrion, but why is everyone insinuating that he would NEVER do something like that? Was his cousin even a "true" Lannister (signature gold locks are missing)?

So far, Jaime has:

ASOS:
Explained and was a "good" thing.

He loves Cersei, was caught in the moment, made a dumb decision. For Cersei he's willing to do anything.

Ned's wife took his brother and was likely going to kill him. He cares about Tyrion quite a bit and raged. People make bad decisions in this series when they are upset.

People shouldn't lump killing the king as a bad thing. Should be celebrated for that.

I make that point as a direct counter to "Jaime has values, he would never do such a thing!"

ASOS:
Explained and was a "good" thing.

He loves Cersei, was caught in the moment, made a dumb decision. For Cersei he's willing to do anything.

Ned's wife took his brother and was likely going to kill him. He cares about Tyrion quite a bit and raged. People make bad decisions in this series when they are upset.

What about Tyrion thinking (CoK)
Jaime will kill Lancel if he ever found out about him and Cersei?

He's not the incredible Hulk when he gets enraged--he can make stupid, self-serving decisions. He may not have WANTED to toss Bran out the window, but did once he was convinced that it would be better for him/them. He wasn't exactly "caught in the moment"--they talk!

I don't have a problem with the scene. And I didn't think it was too long at all; all of the seeming comradery made it more fucked up. It was awesome.

But Anton, just keep reading.

(Also, the mad king was fucked up. The show will probably elaborate more on that later)

gdt

So far, Jaime has:

What are his "values", with all of this in mind? Tyrion hints in the show that Jaime will be FURIOUS with Lancel if he finds out he was banging Cersei, and in the book (CoK),
Tyrion basically says that Cersei trying to "replace" Jaime with Lancel was a death sentence for the boy, because either Cersei OR Jaime will kill him if Cersei and Jaime are ever reunited.

I think some of you build this characters up in your heads without a whole lotta correlation to the text. I agree with the scene being way too long (and a little pointless...why not fake his death), but from what we've seen with Jaime, it's not far from his actions. He's in the heart of the enemy, humiliated, and literally stewing in his own shit and piss. He was an asshole BEFORE any of that--he's probably 10x worse/desperate now.

EDIT: Totally beaten by scosher/Amirox
lol.gif

Keep reading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom