• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

ronito

They also made Tywin into a very like-able character in the show but in the books he's a twat.
Really? I feel Tywin's right in line with what's in the book. Yeah, he's likable in the show, he's the villain you can understand and like. He's still a villain. Just like his son.

q_q

You shouldn't even be openly talking about Jamie being or not being in future books without spoiler tags.

I completely agree. Some people need to learn to read the rules.

Saying that, I watched the first season before reading the book and Jaime was a lovable rogue to me.

You guys are right, I apologize. Got carried away in the discussion.

gdt

Really? I feel Tywin's right in line with what's in the book. Yeah, he's likable in the show, he's the villain you can understand and like. He's still a villain. Just like his son.

SOS and beyond

Jaime, as we book readers know him, is a villain to you?

Sanjay

None of that's in the books, so how is it in line with the books?

What is making Tywin really like-able is his interactions with Arya and coming off as a human being that cares, but in the books hes just a twat.

ronito

None of that's in the books, so how is it in line with the books?

What is making Tywin really like-able is his interactions with Arya and coming off as a human being that cares, but in the books hes just a twat.

Even without those scenes I liked him. I mean when he rode into Harenhall, I mean how could you not like him?

bengraven

In the book, if he suspected she's high born, he would have had someone get the information out of her. Even if it wasn't torture, it would be subterfuge.

In the show it makes it seem like he's trying to make her trust him so she will tell him, maybe.

Massa

In the book, if he suspected she's high born, he would have had someone get the information out of her. Even if it wasn't torture, it would be subterfuge.

In the show it makes it seem like he's trying to make her trust him so she will tell him, maybe.

He keeps her around because she's interesting, he said as much in the latest episode. If he thought the information she's hiding was significant in any way he would do what you suggest, but he has no reason to believe that.

Sanjay

Even without those scenes I liked him. I mean when he rode into Harenhall, I mean how could you not like him?

The way he has treated his son Tyrion very similar to Cersei in fact, shows to me poor character traits. Jamie is the only one that truly loves Tyrion and I guess that's another reason why I like Jamie.

When I come to think of it, Cersei and Tywin are one and Jamie and Tyrion are one character wise.

I really hope Cat didn't just release Jamie. It would make no sense at this point.

It makes plenty of sense. Cat realizes that if the Karstarks kill Jaime, the chance of her getting her daughters back lessens significantly, and she has been proposed a deal to get her daughters back for Jaime.

It's different than the book, but if she decides to release him (we don't really know based on that scene), it still makes sense.

Snake

I'm not a big fan myself. I thought her acting during Renly's murder scene was god awful. I dare anyone to go back and check. Her "Nooooo!" was fucking cringe-worthy, not kidding. She looks the part well enough though, but I'm not convinced acting-wise.

ijVLFzeTgOb8o.gif

when you know something is done better elsewhere, you're going to complain about the differences. Only natural. Trying to say you're glad you're ignorant because there's a better product that might ruin your image of the inferior product is not really a severe criticism of the people leveling complaints toward the series.

And in any event, you think the direction is "fantastic", which it clearly is not by any standard (and this has nothing to do with reading the books), so I'm not even sure you're a good judge of film/tv in general.

It's a good show, don't get me wrong, but it has significant problems.

Lol, I say the direction is great, so I"m a poor judge?! How condescendant and pretentious, incredible.

ronito

The way he has treated his son Tyrion very similar to Cersei in fact, shows to me poor character traits. Jamie is the only one that truly loves Tyrion and I guess that's another reason why I like Jamie.

When I come to think of it, Cersei and Tywin are one and Jamie and Tyrion are one character wise.
And Joffe is the worst of both Cersei and Jamie.

I actually thought Tyrion more like Tywin than Cersei. Tyrion is everything his father should have been.

also:
6ei7H.jpg

Well organizations that hunt their enemies by daylight in a snow white environment wearing all black are not known for recruiting the most intelligent of people.

Seriously. What the fuck is wrong with them? Don't even get me started on that run-in with that freak of a father. Letting that asshole fuck his daughters and offer the sons up as sacrifices so you don't have to do your job is so mindblowingly stupid I can't even believe it.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Really enjoyed this episode. New scenes are great yet again and shows why I think this show in several ways is far exciting than the books.

And to chime in here, read all the books as they came out... and Jaime is still a dick. And a villan. And they try way too hard to change your perception of that. But I'm not fooled!

ronito

watched the episode again.

Am I the only one thinking that they had a hard time filling the time. Jaime's scene was really long and not necessary, the scene with Tywin and Arya, while awesome, didn't need to be that long, the same with the Jon scenes.

Snake

Am I the only one thinking that they had a hard time filling the time. Jaime's scene was really long and not necessary, the scene with Tywin and Arya, while awesome, didn't need to be that long, the same with the Jon scenes.

I agree that the Jon scenes dragged a lot. Jaime understandably got a lot of screentime since he's had all of two minutes in this season prior.

tino

Banned
Saw the show tonight. I am not liking how they treat Jamie. The fuck he is my favorite top 3 characters in the book. They made him look like a series killer boooooooo!

Otherwise its a very good show. I think I like s2 better. I like the change they made to Robb's love interest. She is clearly superior to the two wildling actress.

15 minutes about Jon's morning wood and Robb is barely in the show. Makes sense.

Needz moar Robb obviously.

FStop7

Banned
Seriously. What the fuck is wrong with them? Don't even get me started on that run-in with that freak of a father. Letting that asshole fuck his daughters and offer the sons up as sacrifices so you don't have to do your job is so mindblowingly stupid I can't even believe it.

*checks to make sure this isn't the 'no book thread'*

All of this is laid out so much more clearly in the book. This is why a lot of us who've read them have voiced frustrations.

Famassu

They already explained it by saying the Wildlings only move in the cover of the night. Night = darkness = black is a good camouflage color.

And they already explained Craster has pretty much been the decisive factor in the life & death matters in the past, so they can't just go on destroying (one of) their only safe havens north of the Wall.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
They already explained it by saying the Wildlings only move in the cover of the night. Night = darkness = black is a good camouflage color.

And they already explained Craster has pretty much been the decisive factor in the life & death matters in the past, so they can't just go on destroying (one of) their only safe havens north of the Wall.
Plus people can do whatever the fuck they want north of the wall as long as they don't try to go south of the wall. The Night's Watch's duty is to keep everything north from coming south, that's it.

Ledsen

My girlfriend (ASoS)
really loves Rob and was talking about how much better Westeros would become if he was the king. Oh God that fucking Walder Frey :(

Emwitus

The crap. I'm reading stuff about a character being in later books on the bloody board and i don't read the books. The craP!!! Just killed my sense of drama in that direction! Shoot gaf!

EDIT: Guess i was in the wrong section then? Shoot!

My girlfriend really loves Rob and was talking about how much better Westeros would become if he was the king. I agree with her and (ASoS)
Oh God that fucking Walder Frey :(

SOS MAJOR SPOILZ
An OATHBREAKER would make a good king?! hahahahahah. Tell us how angry she gets when the wedding happens

That was a disaster of an episode. An absolute crock of shit. A mockery of an HBO program. A blatant slap in the face to audiences that look for good television. Forget about the book. Put the book aside for a second, and view this episode and season objectively. The flaws are just too apparent, this has amateur hour written all over it.

Jaime being chained up with his cousin, really? Only one soldier noticing the commotion of a high-security prisoner being beaten? Clumsily rushing in by himself and approaching the body of the least important captive in the cage, assuming that a bug bit him to death apparently. And, oh look, he has the key! This all reads like a high school play, for fucks sake.

Please, I ask everyone in this thread to rewatch the scene of Jaime being dragged around in chains. The extras, oh my god, the extras. Stumbling around like drunks, it looks like they're taking more damage than Jaime. After being beaten by a club, an extra gives him a light tap with his foot, and the sound editing gives off a nice big THUMP as if it were a damaging blow. The guy in the middle of the shot about to fall off the horse. The tree branch getting stuck between the drunk extras. Inexcusable. The lack of direction in this show is unbelievable.

Why, why, why is so much time spent with Ygritte teasing Jon about being a virgin? Why do we get a 5 minute scene of Jaime's cousin looking up to him. Why in the living fuck is Tywin opening up to Arya, spending so much time with her? Turning his back to her. Discussing private high profile matters openly while she chows on mutton and seems to be having a grand old time, instead of being in hopeless despair crying herself to sleep every night.

This should be Tyrion's season. He swoops in and single-handedly rules the city. Instead of masterminding the defense of the city, he's sympathizing with Cersei about her inbred children.

I can't even bring myself to bring up any more flaws. The source material of this show now has a big steaming pile of 17 episode shit rotting it. How can a show with so much political intrigue, plotting and backstabbing spend this much time on Jon and Ygritte spooning when Stannis is 5 days away from invading King's Landing?

Enjoy your show, gaf.

Rekubot

ASOS
My girlfriend really loves Rob and was talking about how much better Westeros would become if he was the king. I agree with her and (ASoS) Oh God that fucking Walder Frey :(
ASOS
Come on dude, anyone reading that can work out what happens. Why not just fucking spoiler tag all of it?

Ledsen

That was a disaster of an episode. An absolute crock of shit. A mockery of an HBO program. A blatant slap in the face to audiences that look for good television. Forget about the book. Put the book aside for a second, and view this episode and season objectively. The flaws are just too apparent, this has amateur hour written all over it.

Jaime being chained up with his cousin, really? Only one soldier noticing the commotion of a high-security prisoner being beaten? Clumsily rushing in by himself and approaching the body of the least important captive in the cage, assuming that a bug bit him to death apparently. And, oh look, he has the key! This all reads like a high school play, for fucks sake.

Please, I ask everyone in this thread to rewatch the scene of Jaime being dragged around in chains. The extras, oh my god, the extras. Stumbling around like drunks, it looks like they're taking more damage than Jaime. After being beaten by a club, an extra gives him a light tap with his foot, and the sound editing gives off a nice big THUMP as if it were a damaging blow. The guy in the middle of the shot about to fall off the horse. The tree branch getting stuck between the drunk extras. Inexcusable. The lack of direction in this show is unbelievable.

Why, why, why is so much time spent with Ygritte teasing Jon about being a virgin? Why do we get a 5 minute scene of Jaime's cousin looking up to him. Why in the living fuck is Tywin opening up to Arya, spending so much time with her? Turning his back to her. Discussing private high profile matters openly while she chows on mutton and seems to be having a grand old time, instead of being in hopeless despair crying herself to sleep every night.

This should be Tyrion's season. He swoops in and single-handedly rules the city. Instead of masterminding the defense of the city, he's sympathizing with Cersei about her inbred children.

I can't even bring myself to bring up any more flaws. The source material of this show now has a big steaming pile of 17 episode shit rotting it. How can a show with so much political intrigue, plotting and backstabbing spend this much time on Jon and Ygritte spooning when Stannis is 5 days away from invading King's Landing?

Enjoy your show, gaf.

The Jaime scene with his cousin was long to make the pivotal moment more shocking. I agree it was dragged out a bit too much.

Didn't notice anything wrong with the dragging scene.

Agree about Jon and Ygritte. I guess they may be
giving them more screentime now and less later.

I love the Tywin/Arya scenes, and I'm sure Tywin isn't being as stupid as you think.

Can't really see how a few bad scenes in one episode makes this series 17 episodes of "rotting shit" though. To me this is the greatest book -> TV adaptation one could hope for, and it has far exceeded my expecations.

ASOS
Come on dude, anyone reading that can work out what happens. Why not just fucking spoiler tag all of it?

I don't agree, I think you're reading too much into it because you already know what the spoiler tag says. Even so, I'll tag it.

The Jaime scene with his cousin was long to make the pivotal moment more shocking. I agree it was dragged out a bit too much.

Didn't notice anything wrong with the dragging scene.

Agree about Jon and Ygritte. I guess they may be
giving them more screentime now and less later.

Can't really see how a few bad scenes in one episode makes this series 17 episodes of "rotting shit" though. To me this is the greatest book -> TV adaptation one could hope for, and it has far exceeded my expecations.

How many book/tv adaptations have you seen to be able to pass this judgement?

Believe me, it's not just a few scenes in one episode that's dumping shit over the source material, I didn't just suddenly have a change of heart with this episode.

Socreges

Banned
ACOK:
Disappointed at the people spoiling the Bran/Rickon stuff, but pleasantly surprised at how many people managed to bite their tongues or dance around it.

Got a bunch of questions about ACoK compared to the TV show if someone could refresh my memory:

ACOK:
1. Was it Joffrey or Tyrion that concocted the plan to launch the fireballs (whatever they're called) at Stannis' fleet? I thought it was Tyrion, but the show has it flipped and this makes me think I'm remembering it wrong.
2. Jon let Ygritte go after not killing her and that was that, correct? Then he rejoined the other 'crows' (before the stuff with Qhorin)? I don't mind all the extra stuff, but this stand-off with the wildlings seems like it's going to through everything out of whack.
3. Is it just me or have they made Cersei far more of a 'disappointed mother' w/r/t Joffrey and empathetic toward other people, whereas in the book she seems defensive at every opportunity, unable to have deep conversations with Tyrion, and unwilling to have a truly sympathetic conversation with Sansa (as she did in the last episode)?
4. The Qarth stuff is almost entirely changed, no? My memory is pretty fuzzy here. I remember Xaro and Pyat not trusting one another and having different interests. How did it go in the book again? And the woman with plates on her face (can't remember her name) was in the book, yes? But very briefly?

Thank you.

Socreges

Banned

Enjoy your show, gaf.
This was horrible and inexcusable. My reaction to that scene was literally this:

jaguars-fan-confused-wtf.gif

I'd also prefer that the Cersei scenes were cut and we saw more about the war preparations. How about some build-up?

Otherwise, I'm not as bothered by some of the changes as you are. I like the Arya/Tywin stuff and understand how it serves as a source of exposition, not to mention giving Tywin more screen time (this is a good thing, in my mind). ACoK:
Plenty more time for her to be treated like shit in the future. The Ygritte/Jon extension also develops their relationship a bit more. As you can tell, HBO wanted love stories to feature more in the show than they do in the books (proportion-wise). Same reason why we're seeing so much of Robb, despite him barely being present in the book.

This, though: "The source material of this show now has a big steaming pile of 17 episode shit rotting it."

...is where I just see you as being ridiculously dramatic.

Socreges

Banned
One last thing...

iGGj74ojxBOO9.gif

The show needs more of this. Remind us of the world that they're in, even if it's just simple panning shots like the one above.

ASOS
I want to see some fucked up towns in future seasons. Give us a sense of how messed up the Kingsroad is.

Fuzzy

ACOK:
Disappointed at the people spoiling the Bran/Rickon stuff, but pleasantly surprised at how many people managed to bite their tongues or dance around it.

Got a bunch of questions about ACoK compared to the TV show if someone could refresh my memory:

ACOK:
1. Was it Joffrey or Tyrion that concocted the plan to launch the fireballs (whatever they're called) at Stannis' fleet? I thought it was Tyrion, but the show has it flipped and this makes me think I'm remembering it wrong.
2. Jon let Ygritte go after not killing her and that was that, correct? Then he rejoined the other 'crows' (before the stuff with Qhorin)? I don't mind all the extra stuff, but this stand-off with the wildlings seems like it's going to through everything out of whack.
3. Is it just me or have they made Cersei far more of a 'disappointed mother' w/r/t Joffrey and empathetic toward other people, whereas in the book she seems defensive at every opportunity, unable to have deep conversations with Tyrion, and unwilling to have a truly sympathetic conversation with Sansa (as she did in the last episode)?
4. The Qarth stuff is almost entirely changed, no? My memory is pretty fuzzy here. I remember Xaro and Pyat not trusting one another and having different interests. How did it go in the book again? And the woman with plates on her face (can't remember her name) was in the book, yes? But very briefly?

Thank you.
1. It was Cersei's plan to use wildfire but Tyrion took it over and had the City Watch practice handling empty jars and then I think ones with paint inside so that they wouldn't destroy the entire city.
2. Correct.
3. Correct.
4. Almost everything in Qarth is changed in the show. She's Quaithe and she tells Dany not to trust anyone in Qarth and gives her cryptic advice on where to go to next.

Ledsen

Regarding Jon/Ygritte in the show vs the books
I think Jon will try to run, get cornered, the Halfhand will appear, and that's that. It sounds pretty lame so I hope I'm wrong :/

Socreges

Banned
I think Jon will try to run, get cornered, the Halfhand will appear, and that's that. It sounds pretty lame so I hope I'm wrong :/
They must have something in mind that makes sense. I just have can't sort out what that might be. All options at this point seem to unravel for one reason or another.

Fuzzy

I bet they do this,
Jon just got captured and Halfhand will also be captured (I could've sworn I saw him tied up in the preview) and then they fight to the death. Halfhand will whisper his instructions to Jon right before the fight. Another possibility is that they'll be prisoners together during episode 8 during which Halfhand will give Jon his instructions and then the fight happens during episode 10.

Oh shit, i just thought of something about the end of the latest ep: (Jaime ACOS spoiler)
Cat pulling out a sword before the cliffhanger close, what possible reason could there be? Could she be about to lop off his hand?
Casting the Brave Companions would be a huge headache, and he hasn't had much else to do this season, it would be a big drama moment to bring forward.
It would be stupid if they did that.

Socreges

Banned
Oh shit, i just thought of something about the end of the latest ep: (Jaime ACOS spoiler)
Cat pulling out a sword before the cliffhanger close, what possible reason could there be? Could she be about to lop off his hand?
Casting the Brave Companions would be a huge headache, and he hasn't had much else to do this season, it would be a big drama moment to bring forward.
Change that to ASOS, first off. I read it as ACOK.

[ACOK/ASOS]
Jaime taunts her, she asks for the sword. End of chapter. We're led to believe that she kills him. Instead we find out later on that she used the sword to cut his chains. It looks like it'll happen the exact same way on the show. He'll keep his hand. For now.

I bet they do this,
Jon just got captured and Halfhand will also be captured (I could've sworn I saw him tied up in the preview) and then they fight to the death. Halfhand will whisper his instructions to Jon right before the fight.

It would be stupid if they did that.
Makes sense. While captured, Qhorin tells Jon to pledge allegiance and kill him in order to prove it.

Fuzzy

A sword, to cut chains? What?
He's surrounded by very twitchy guards, he ain't going anywhere.

Cat will spend the next ep screaming about Bran and Rickon being dead, and she can't kill him as her daughers are hostage, she won't be releasing him.
There are already too many characters for the available screentime, and we've spent enough time in Harrenhal this season. I'm starting to think now that they'll scrap the entire Jaime arc with Hoat in Harrenhal, there is too much to get through in season 3 already.
They have plenty of time to do ASoS with the 20 episodes over two seasons they have planned.

Is it only my imagination or is Daenerys more "complicated" (bitchy) on screen than I remember her from the books? It is a few months since I finished reading the books but I had pictured her more like a strong and demanding woman not like a spoiled child.

Socreges

Banned

Cat will spend the next ep screaming about Bran and Rickon being dead, and she can't kill him as her daughers are hostage, she won't be releasing him.
There are already too many characters for the available screentime, and we've spent enough time in Harrenhal this season. I'm starting to think now that they'll scrap the entire Jaime arc with Hoat in Harrenhal, and the infamous bear fight, there is too much to get through in season 3 already.
The hell are you talking about?
KuGsj.gif

ACOK/ASOS
In the book, Jaime mocked her about Ned, his honour, and Jon Snow. She responds by saying, "Give me your sword" to Brienne. Just like in the show. In the book, Catelyn/Brienne then release him (we find this out afterward in ASOS through Jaime). He then goes on a long journey East along the river and the Kingsroad.

Are you suggesting that they've played that exactly as it went down in the book.... but in a ridiculous twist she's going to cut off his hand and then leave him there? When the hell is he going to be released then?

Think about it this way: they played up the death of the son and how they all want him dead for a reason. If she leaves him there, he'll be dead soon and his worth as a hostage is gone. Her daughters will be done for as well. It's pretty obvious that she's going to release him, but like in the book they obviously wanted to make it seem like she was going to kill him.

Is it only my imagination or is Daenerys more "complicated" (bitchy) on screen than I remember her from the books? It is a few months since I finished reading the books but I had pictured her more like a strong and demanding woman not like a spoiled child.
The problem is that virtually every scene during this season has been her in some dramatic confrontation, Mother of Dragons, etc. rinse, repeat. The book gave her some contemplative downtime, but that's not something the show can afford.

Ledsen

There are already too many characters for the available screentime, and we've spent enough time in Harrenhal this season. I'm starting to think now that they'll scrap the entire Jaime arc with Hoat in Harrenhal, and the infamous bear fight, there is too much to get through in season 3 already.

But she sent the guards away.

Solo

Enjoy your show, gaf.

Is this our first full on meltdown in here? It's entertaining as hell :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom