• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

oktarb

So who was outside Winterfell seiging it? I thought it was Rob's side "I have a bastard son..." but if so why did the raze it?

Need help clarifying the visions that Khaleesi had in the House of the Undying. Her almost touching the Throne seemed like foreshadowing to me; as in she will one day be VERY close to sitting in it but never actually fully owning it. OR could that have been a vision of the past instead of one of the future? Next we have Khal Drogo and her died child. The scene was very well done and the child was a nice touch. BUT! What I do not understand was why she walked threw the Northern Wall? Both the Throne and Khal Drogo and her child seemed to have been used as distractions from her three Dragons or maybe used to increase her eagerness to find them or maybe used to keep he in that hallucination. Either way the Wall seemed out of place. What connection does she have to the Wall?? (no spoilers please)

Noticed this while rewatching...anyone recognize the sigil on the wight's shield here? Looks like it could be a Stark sigil but it doesnt look like the one from the show. Possibly Martell? Or it could be a really old version of the Stark sigil from like hundreds of years ago

gameofthrones-whitewa0adgy.jpg

Noticed this while rewatching...anyone recognize the sigil on the wight's shield here? Looks like it could be a Stark sigil but it doesnt look like the one from the show. Possibly Martell? Or it could be a really old version of the Stark sigil from like hundreds of years ago

Its on a wildling wight, so it was probably picked off a Stark soldier years, centuries ago.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
She's fucking ugly dude.

She looks a little derpy in still shots, but she's attractive in motion; I don't quite get the hate.

Definitely didn't like how that episode was just a breakneck resolution of every single remaining plot line. Seemed like most of those should have been resolved earlier and I get the sneaking suspicion I would be lost as to what happened in Dany's storyline and would remain clueless as to what was happening in Jon and Sam's stories if it weren't for the fact I read the books.

apana

Not at all. What I am saying is that any and all criticisms of GoT as a television show are completely welcome and encouraged. Lord knows, its a country fucking mile from perfect (and a country mile away from HBO's top shows, for that matter).

But a good 75% of the complaints in this thread aren't criticisms of the show itself, but rather at it not following/changing/omitting stuff from the books, which is what many of us are tired beyond belief of hearing. Oh, they changed Asha's name to Yora? Fucking deal with it.

I think calling out book changes is fine if the show has changed something essential about a character or created an inferior storyline. I don't care what excuses anyone makes, Jon's storyline is just bad. It's so perplexing too because it seems they were completely nailing it and doing a smart adaptation but all of a sudden they totally change Jon's story. I really need to understand the reasoning behind so I hope David and Dan at the very least explain it to us. I'd probably be more sympathetic to what you are saying if that one change hadn't irked me so much.

This starts in a half hour if anyone wants to participate:

- ‘Game of Thrones’ Season 2 Finale: The Daily Beast Live Chat
The Battle of the Blackwater is over and so is the second season of HBO’s addictive fantasy-drama Game of Thrones. Join The Daily Beast’s Jace Lacob and Kate Aurthur; The Huffington Post’s Maureen Ryan; Time’s James Poniewozik; academic Myles McNutt; Westeros.org’s Elio Garcia and WinterIsComing.Net's Phil Bicking; and others to discuss Sunday’s oversized season finale (“Valar Morghulis”), the show’s second season, and what lies ahead for those vying for the Iron Throne. The chat kicks off at 2 p.m. EDT/11 a.m. PDT.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think calling out book changes is fine if the show has changed something essential about a character or created an inferior storyline. I don't care what excuses anyone makes, Jon's storyline is just bad. It's so perplexing too because it seems they were completely nailing it and doing a smart adaptation but all of a sudden they totally change Jon's story. I really need to understand the reasoning behind so I hope David and Dan at the very least explain it to us. I'd probably be more sympathetic to what you are saying if that one change hadn't irked me so much.

I think my problem with that storyline is that I feel like I wouldn't understand what was supposed to be happening without outside information. I'm still wondering where Ghost went.

Igladius

Neo Member
I can't believe HBO didn't take the opportunity to get Rose Leslie nude this season. General Series Spoiler:
I can't wait to see it next season <3

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I totally shouldn't have clicked on this thread by accident when I haven't seen the last episode of the season yet >_>

apana

I think if they cut out some Ros scenes and a few other useless scenes they could have salvaged Jon's storyline. Here is how I would have done it while still incorporating the additions David and Dan made.

He captures Ygritte---> Walks around and talks with her, and then she escapes--->Meets up with Qhorin and resumes the normal storyline more or less.

If they didn't want to do too many chase scenes they could have written more dialogue for Qhorin. Frankly it seems they started in that direction but stopped, he was having some really interesting conversations with Jon.

Zabka

I think my problem with that storyline is that I feel like I wouldn't understand what was supposed to be happening without outside information. I'm still wondering where Ghost went.

There are far more dangerous and interesting alternate universes to worry about than the "Watching Game of Thrones without reading the books"-verse.

Angry Grimace

There are far more dangerous and interesting alternate universes to worry about than the "Watching Game of Thrones without reading the books"-verse.
I have no idea what you mean by this comment other than I gather its supposed to be derisive.

Meier

I'd argue that the show was great in season 1 but season 2 is only watchable if you read the books and look at this like a low budget fan project aka expectations lower than shit.

Lulz. My buddy who actually didn't care for season 1 that much despite GoT being right up his alley LOVED season 2. He hasn't read the books nor will he.

Some of y'all in this thread are such a trip.

Dysun

Lulz. My buddy who actually didn't care for season 1 that much despite GoT being right up his alley LOVED season 2. He hasn't read the books nor will he.

Some of y'all in this thread are such a trip.

Book purists are the most irrational, any little disappointment turns the whole production into a pile of shit

I really like both the books and the show. Obviously the books are way better but I can enjoy the show for what it is

scosher

There's a lot of logical inconsistencies in Jon's storyline that really degrades the impact of his final act.

- As you mention, where is Ghost ever since Jon got lost?

- Why would Qhorin sacrifice himself for Jon in the show? Earlier in the season, he explicitly told Jon that he should not so willingly lay his life for the watch cause no songs will be sung of him. Yet here Qhorin does exactly that. In the books, it's better understood because Jon has earned Qhorin's respect by that point, but on the show, Jon is portrayed as even more incompetent and weak-willed, especially getting lost with Ygritte and eventually captured. Moreover, in the books, it's Rattleshirt who orders Jon to kill Qhorin to prove his worth, and Jon is much more reluctant to do so until Qhorin urges him on ("Remember your orders," "Is your sword sharp, Jon Snow?")

Zabka

There's a lot of logical inconsistencies in Jon's storyline that really degrades the impact of his final act.

- As you mention, where is Ghost ever since Jon got lost?

- Why would Qhorin sacrifice himself for Jon in the show? Earlier in the season, he explicitly told Jon that he should not so willingly lay his life for the watch cause no songs will be sung of him. Yet here Qhorin does exactly that. In the books, it's better understood because Jon has earned Qhorin's respect by that point, but on the show, Jon is portrayed as even more incompetent and weak-willed, especially getting lost with Ygritte and eventually captured. Moreover, in the books, it's Rattleshirt who orders Jon to kill Qhorin to prove his worth, and Jon is much more reluctant to do so until Qhorin urges him on ("Remember your orders," "Is your sword sharp, Jon Snow?")

Ygritte flat out told Qhorin that he is going to die a slow, horrible death anyway. Letting Jon kill him gives one of them a chance to survive and possibly be put into a very useful position.

A common theme with the book comparisons is hand-wringing when the show doesn't beat you over the head with character motivations.

I also feel I should add that the show does an awesome job with Pycelle. Loved the little moment he had with Tyrion in the beginning of the episode where he slipped out of his "old and frail" cover to spitefully tip off Tyrion like a used whore.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
People here are making book readers seem like completely irrational people. I just started the second book so I'm kind of in the middle.

There is nothing wrong with people stating that they don't agree with unnecessary scenes that were added onto the show. It takes away from other important stuff and is generally frivolous. I don't care if the writer on the show wants to make their own mark on the story.

The budget is seriously being skimped to a point where it is more than noticeable. HBO is being cheap.

ZeroRay

Straw-maning book readers as irrational people who get pissed off at any slight change won't do any good.

There were a lot of things season 2 could have adapted better that would have made for a better TV show AND not break the bank in terms of budget either.

TheExodu5

Banned
I seriously thought Peter Dinklage was one of the worst actors on the show this season. Not really getting all these "best supporting actor" claims.

The female characters have all been pretty fantastic this season (aside from Shay). Lena Headey was pretty remarkable this season, especially when compared to season 1.

Angry Grimace

Straw-maning book readers as irrational people who get pissed off at any slight change won't do any good.

There were a lot of things season 2 could have adapted better that would have made for a better TV show AND not break the bank in terms of budget either.
The problem is that book-readers often DO make criticisms that have no basis other than "it was in the book."

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!

- Why would Qhorin sacrifice himself for Jon in the show? Earlier in the season, he explicitly told Jon that he should not so willingly lay his life for the watch cause no songs will be sung of him. Yet here Qhorin does exactly that.
The show reasoning is probably just that it wouldn't be believable to the Wildlings for a well known and feared Ranger such as Qhorin to switch sides as it would be for a young pup like Jon Snow and Qhorin knew it. Either Qhorin gives up his life or they both die. There was no possibility of Qhorin coming out of this alive so he made the best of it.

TheExodu5

Banned
Crazy talk.

Alfie stole the show this season tho. Hope he gets recognized.

I think there were a lot of standouts this season: Cersei, Theon, Catelyn, Arya, Margaery, Tywin, Jamie...maybe even Brienne (though there's not much depth to her role). Sansa surprised me a few times as well.

If anyone should get nominated for this season, it's Alfie Allen. The rest of the cast was good for the most part (there was no terrible stable boy this season), but nothing I'd consider outstanding compared to what else is out there.

Speevy

Banned
Peter Dinklage's problem is that when he tries to show real emotion, you don't feel anything. His character is all surface.

He's best when wisecracking or showing others his intellect.

Dany

Banned
If anyone should get nominated for this season, it's Alfie Allen. The rest of the cast was good for the most part (there was no terrible stable boy this season), but nothing I'd consider outstanding compared to what else is out there.

His eyes were bugging out of his head. Couldn't take him seriously when he was yelling.

Socreges

Banned
Yeeaaahh, I loved Dinklage in the first season and was very happy that he got the Emmy (despite not caring about award shows).

But more was demanded of him this season and I don't think he did very well. He's just not good at doing anguish/sadness. I don't think he deserves to even be nominated.

So much of that finale was anticlimatic. Dany waltzes around after her dragons are stolen for multiple episodes, then goes to the HOTU...and does what exactly. She gets chained up and her dragon automatically kills Pree, game over. Ok..? Theon prepares to hold Winterfell, gets knocked out while a large army is outside the gates - then his men casually leave. Ros is given some cliff hanger mission. This was basically the episode where the various corners cut and changes made came to bite the writers in the ass.

I loved Luwin's final scene, as well as the madness of Stannis. While I'm not a fan of the Jon changes, at least the final shot set up for some interesting stuff viewers can look forward to. Still in terms of actual events, this just didn't strike me as a good finale. The final scene with the Others will certainly hype things up for S3, but when you compare this to S1's finale there's little comparison. King Of the North, Tyrion made hand, dragons, that amazing scene with Sansa nearly pushing Joffery off the wall, the NW leaving the Wall, etc. Whereas this finale felt like a bunch of scenes that could have been addressed in a previous episode.

Yeeaaahh, I loved Dinklage in the first season and was very happy that he got the Emmy (despite not caring about award shows).

But more was demanded of him this season and I don't think he did very well. He's just not good at doing anguish/sadness. I don't think he deserves to even be nominated.

His writing/acting wasn't as good this season. Last season he could just make fun of everyone to get him out situations. Here he had more responsibilities.

The only person that deserves an Emmy nomination is Alfie Allen, imo.

Agreed although I think some of it has to do with just how bad Shae is as an actor. He's certainly great at being a confident jackass, but I thought he dropped the ball during the "I would kill for you" scene with Shae. His emotional scene with her was better in the finale, but still felt a bit forced. Which is odd because of how amazing he handled his emotional scene in S1, after Tywin acknowledged that he is his son; that was such a great, subtle performance of emotion.

Dany

Banned
Dragons>zombies

Last years finale was great. As a non-book reader at that point, they have done a really good job hinting about dragons. Much better than Sam peeing his pants as zombies strolled by.

Agreed although I think some of it has to do with just how bad Shae is as an actor. He's certainly great at being a confident jackass, but I thought he dropped the ball during the "I would kill for you" scene with Shae. His emotional scene with her was better in the finale, but still felt a bit forced. Which is odd because of how amazing he handled his emotional scene in S1, after Tywin acknowledged that he is his son; that was such a great, subtle performance of emotion.

I like the changes to Shae's character, but yeah her actress sucks. Completely forgot about her earlier.

The only person that deserves an Emmy nomination is Alfie Allen, imo.

Agreed; he had the perhaps the most developed character this season, with a fair amount of screen-time, and had to display a vast range of emotion to create a conflicted character primarily through body language. There were a few standouts in specific episodes [Cercei in Blackwater for example], but Allen played a difficult role to a high standard throughout the season.

- EW.com: 'Game of Thrones' finale breaks ratings record
HBO’s Game of Thrones reached a new all-time high in the ratings Sunday night.

The second season finale was seen by 4.2 million viewers — the first time the show has cracked four million viewers for a first-run airing. The news is particularly welcome after the previous week’s penultimate Battle of the Blackwater episode actually dipped in the overnight Nielsens. These finale numbers confirm our assumption the Blackwater decline was merely due to the Memorial Day weekend holiday.

Thrones was remarkably stable this season, hovering around 3.7 million viewers for premiere episodes and averaging more than 10 million viewers across all repeats and viewing platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom