• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

beril

Better liars than her, I thought is what he meant.

It came off really weird in the show though. I'm not sure I'd even understand that that was what he meant if I hadn't remembered that line from the books. Especially with her saying she wasn't good enough for joffrey moments earlier, it kindof seemed like a cruel reply to that.

Socreges

Banned
Well, looking forward to the next season wasting 9 1/2 episodes just to see what happens next with the ice zombies...

And I really hated the little girl not going with Jaqen. That guy is the coolest character on TV! I would kill to just follow him around let alone be trained by him. She would have been unstoppable! Fuck her tooth pick of a sword, she should have been his pupil.
OpoQQ.jpg

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I had some major problems with this season, but I thought this episode was pretty fantastic. I love ACOK, it's one of my favourites, but many of the major characters have very minor roles in the book. The TV show needed to keep them relevant, which led to many hours of unfocused TV. SOS keeps everyone around doing something, so I expect the TV show to improve considerably.

That said, I still can't even imagine how they'll handle AFFC/ADWD.

Maffis

Kind of a bummer not to see
Barristan and his fat buddy this season

Also (future book spoilers)
Xaro and Pyat both lives right? Xaro has a major role in DWD, and he warns Dany about Pyat seeking revenge
It's been a long time since I read the books.

I'm pretty sure you have at points borderline literally insinuated that people comparing the book and the show should shut up. Am I imagining this shit? You've been defending or brushing off every single complain levied at this season(you're doing it right there in this post), but for me saying that the show handled Jon better than the book was too much. How, how the fuck?

So this is the new Lost thread? :)

:0

I just like the show, dudes. I also made that awesome Nick Fury joke.

Doesn't that count for anything?

Lakitu

st5fu
Shame about
Rhaeger
not being in the House of the Undying, but I have to say I loved the scene with Dany and Drogo.

Tyrion reaffirms the fact that he is the only Lannister I well and truly like. Brienne is a badarse.

Great episode. Regardless of some nitpicks, I have definitely loved this season and is probably on par with the first. We'll see how it goes upon rewatch.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Also (future book spoilers)
Xaro and Pyat both lives right? Xaro has a major role in DWD, and he warns Dany about Pyat seeking revenge
It's been a long time since I read the books.

series spoiler
It's not really a major role. He just shows up in Meereen to try to convince her to take the ships and leave, and then vanishes (and Qarth declares war). I wouldn't be surprised if they cut the whole thing out, or just have someone say "oh noez, Qarth has sent a fleet to join against us!". If the show ever get that far, that is.

Solo

So was it not actually the big letdown afte Blackwater that we expected (I won't see it til tonight or tomorrow night)?

If so...hype! Either way, S2 absolutely destroyed S1 and hopefully S3 will do the same to S2.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider

Solo

What are you basing this on? It's not like she's become a star with the cachet to refuse.

She IS one of the stars of the show though, and is this season showed, she DOES have the pull to refuse. The only reason for never having Dany stripped down this season (and we know the execs push for it) would be Clarke refusing to do so.

Lakitu

st5fu
She IS one of the stars of the show though, and is this season showed, she DOES have the pull to refuse. The only reason for never having Dany stripped down this season (and we know the execs push for it) would be Clarke refusing to do so.

Well there is that rumour of her having a no-nudity clause inserted into her contract.

Solo

Well there is that rumour of her having a no-nudity clause inserted into her contract.

Exactly. In S1, she had nothing to bargain with. Want the role? Take off your shirt. Then the show becomes a big hit and she's one of the stars and gets her agent to rework her deal. S2 onwards? No nudity.

Are we to believe from this episode that Tywin Lannister has bought the lies of his daughter and grandson?

He's a more gullible character than I thought if true.

Or maybe he knows what Tyrion did during the battle and doesn't care?

Little bit from column A, little bit from column B. Remember Tyrion's story about being assigned the noble task of being head of sanitation at Casterly Rock? Let's just say that Tywin is none too pleased that his eldest son is a Kingsguard member who can never wed or hold lands.

Zeliard

Exactly. In S1, she had nothing to bargain with. Want the role? Take off your shirt. Then the show becomes a big hit and she's one of the stars and gets her agent to rework her deal. S2 onwards? No nudity.

Her ass has been already been framed for posterity by the camera, anyway.

A little disappointed with the changes for the house of the undying, but the rest was well done. Hard to loose both Irri and Doreah in the same season though. Are there any characters left from the intital Dothraki cast from season 1, or did they all die this season?

Shame about
Rhaeger
not being in the House of the Undying, but I have to say I loved the scene with Dany and Drogo.

Tyrion reaffirms the fact that he is the only Lannister I well and truly like. Brienne is a badarse.

Great episode. Regardless of some nitpicks, I have definitely loved this season and is probably on par with the first. We'll see how it goes upon rewatch.

I must say I enjoy the show, didn't read the books, but Drogos death was infuriating. I don't care much for all the intrigant shits except for Tyrion, and Khal Drogo at least didn't even want to hide his brutality behind etiquette, vows and all the other bullshit that happens in Westeros. No he just said to himself... hey my Khaleesi wants that weird throne? Well we're going to get it, kill and loot and rape and my son will have even more room and lands to roam. Straight to the point.

The scene with him and Dany really reminded me how awfull his demise was. A mere scratch and some poison and dark magic...

Suairyu

Banned
That and not a lot of story justification this time, either. I have no doubt Clarke wouldn't mind getting naked again for a scene of contextual importance like the season 1 finale, but there aren't really any plot excuses it anymore.

CassSept

That and not a lot of story justification this time, either. I have no doubt Clarke wouldn't mind getting naked again for a scene of contextual importance like the season 1 finale, but there aren't really any plot excuses it anymore.

Bu-bu-but Qarth dresses :(

Good episode. However, it leaves many unanswered questions.

Who was the richest man in Qarth? Will we ever know?

Solo

series spoilers
until she starts fucking daario

Doesn't mean she will get naked for it. Lena Headley, who has ton a metric shitton of nudity prior to GoT, has done none in the show either, despite her character sleeping with everyone. Granted, she was preggers in S1, but she wasn't in S2.

Which is to simply say: not all contracts are created equal.

Suairyu

Banned
I tend not to like a bunch of nudity, anyway. It's distracting.

Not because I find nudity wrong or out of the ordinary (I'm European!) but because I can hear the HBO execs going "more tits, more subscribers!" in the background.

Solo

Nudity is fine when it has meaning or context (most of Dany's S1 scenes) but of course where GoT has stumbled is when it has none nudity for exploitative/perverse reasons, which is more often that not.

Dany after stepping into the fire? Good nudity.
Littlefinger monologuing while Ros and a whore go to town on eachother? Bad nudity.

AVclub

I really wish the book readers would keep the fuck away from discussion of the tv show. We all get it...you're superior to those of us who haven't read them, and your brilliant insights are pure gold...now please go about your business and let us enjoy our fucking drama series. We TV people don't bug you when your nose in buried in your books/ereader and say "needs more nudity/explosions"

That said, I loved this season. Some of the quiet moments were just as intense as the big action scenes. For me, the dialog, especially when Tyrion was involved, was one of the highlights of the show as a whole.

Suairyu

Banned
I really wish the book readers would keep the fuck away from discussion of the tv show. We all get it...you're superior to those of us who haven't read them, and your brilliant insights are pure gold...now please go about your business and let us enjoy our fucking drama series. We TV people don't bug you when your nose in buried in your books/ereader and say "needs more nudity/explosions"
Erm, this thread is for watchers of the show who have already read the books. There's another thread for your illiterate kind!

That said, I loved this season. Some of the quiet moments were just as intense as the big action scenes. For me, the dialog, especially when Tyrion was involved, was one of the highlights of the show as a whole.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO
most book readers "keep the fuck away from the discussion" in that thread. maybe you should check that out.

I really wish the book readers would keep the fuck away from discussion of the tv show. We all get it...you're superior to those of us who haven't read them, and your brilliant insights are pure gold...now please go about your business and let us enjoy our fucking drama series. We TV people don't bug you when your nose in buried in your books/ereader and say "needs more nudity/explosions".

There's a thread dedicated specifically for those who haven't read the books. This isn't it.

Or it might be that her husband died, she's still grieving, tryin to stay alive and hasn't taken another lover?

JGS

Banned
I like both threads and can understand the book readers having issues as long as they understand that non book readers really don't care. The show is awesome on its own and the readers make me less interested in the book until after the series is done since there are apparently some big deviations that don't seem that big and work nicely with the TV story.

For example, I loved the undying scenes. In fact, the main thing I didn't like was Robb's wedding which seemed out of place for book or TV.

KingKong

So what was the weird magician guys plan? I don't understand how he thought the dragons wouldnt breathe fire and why he didn't show a clone of himself like before

I don't hate the show. I realize, having gone through Harry Potter and LOTR, that any adaptation, no matter how high-budgeted, will skip story beats from a book hundreds of pages long. But the guys overseeing the HP universe realized that there were some narrative threads that tied all the books together. So while we don't get Hermoine's civil rights activism, we get all of the Tom Riddle backstory and enough of Snape so the finale makes sense.

The writers here have already taken a few substantial liberties with not just omissions, but completely changed events/characterizations. While this works in some cases (refreshingly so), in others it's simply baffling for those of us who know where the story is headed. I don't mind them pushing some revelations and characters to the beginning of season 3. I do mind completely omitting character-defining moments or overarching mythology that's central to the plot.

Solo

Erm, this thread is for watchers of the show who have already read the books. There's another thread for your illiterate kind!

As ludicrious as it sounds, I swear there could be a third, middle-ground thread :lol

- One for non-book readers (already exists);
- One for book readers who care deeply about the books and how they are adapted (already exists - this thread);
- One for book readers who don't particularly care how faithful the show is or isn't to the books and don't spend time complaining about it (this would be the new thread)

I'm not suggesting we go to three threads, as that would be incredibly convoluted/silly, but I do share the sentiments of many in here who tire of the incessant comparisons/rants about the superiority of the books from the book lovers.

As ludicrious as it sounds, I swear there could be a third, middle-ground thread :lol

- One for non-book readers (already exists);
- One for book readers who care deeply about the books and how they are adapted (already exists - this thread);
- One for book readers who don't particularly care how faithful the show is or isn't to the books and don't spend time complaining about it (this would be the new thread)

I'm not suggesting we go to three threads, as that would be incredibly convoluted/silly, but I do share the sentiments of many in here who tire of the incessant comparisons/rants about the superiority of the books from the book lovers.

This is silly, and not really any different from asking for a thread with only positive comments allowed.

Pkaz01

So what was the weird magician guys plan? I don't understand how he thought the dragons wouldnt breathe fire and why he didn't show a clone of himself like before

his magic is stronger when dany is near her dragons so his plan was to chain her up in a room with them as a power source. for why he didn't think things through I have no idea.

Solo

and not really any different from asking for a thread with only positive comments allowed.

Not at all. What I am saying is that any and all criticisms of GoT as a television show are completely welcome and encouraged. Lord knows, its a country fucking mile from perfect (and a country mile away from HBO's top shows, for that matter).

But a good 75% of the complaints in this thread aren't criticisms of the show itself, but rather at it not following/changing/omitting stuff from the books, which is what many of us are tired beyond belief of hearing. Oh, they changed Asha's name to Yora? Fucking deal with it.

That could actually be acknowledging that the show is great if not for the books.

That wasn't my implication, even that thread would have its detractors. But as annoying as the book quibbling can be, excluding criticism from the thread is silly, and not something anyone would consider for another TV thread on GAF.

Not at all. What I am saying is that any and all criticisms of GoT as a television show are completely welcome and encouraged. Lord knows, its a country fucking mile from perfect (and a country mile away from HBO's top shows, for that matter).

But a good 75% of the complaints in this thread aren't criticisms of the show itself, but rather at it not following/changing/omitting stuff from the books, which is what many of us are tired beyond belief of hearing. Oh, they changed Asha's name to Yora? Fucking deal with it.
We can't even keep spoilers out of the wrong place, there would be no practical way of enforcing this kind of separation.

Lothar

Banned

So one for book readers that don't care about the quality of the show?

JGS

Banned
his magic is stronger when dany is near her dragons so his plan was to chain her up in a room with them as a power source. for why he didn't think things through I have no idea.
He knew that at best the dragons could cook steaks and going off what Varys said, it took years for dragons to mature enough to be dangerous- something he would have known too. What he didn't know is how much influence Dany had on the dragons.

The missing link was how powerful Dany was & I think they set this up a couple of episodes ago. She is one of a kind even by her family's standards. I love how the show constanty underestimates the power of magic/the unkown.

The complaining from both sides is beginning to grow dull. The novels are going to get compared to the adaptation in a thread primarily aimed at book readers - those who post here will have to live with it as there's nothing in the rules of the thread that discourage it.

Having said that there have been some over-exaggerations and hyperbole thrown around with regards to changes, and I can see why those who care little about wishing to see a faithful adaptation would grow weary. By this point, however, the complaints regarding those that have berated the show for changes over-shadows those actually making the inane statements.

The best thing to do would be to stop drawing attention to it every time a book-show comparison you dislike is made; you're only encouraging that discussion to evolve by doing so.

JGS

Banned
That wasn't my implication, even that thread would have its detractors. But as annoying as the book quibbling can be, excluding criticism from the thread is silly, and not something anyone would consider for another TV thread on GAF.
I'm fine with two threads and as a non-book reader simply take my chances. I also agree that valid complaints are...valid.

That said, book readers have to realize that we, overall, don't care about the deviations. Casting choices are irrelevant since book desriptions of charcaters are irrelevant as long as the actor can play the part- something that appears to me that they do.

I like this thread because the other is a 100% No Book at all thread and I think there are things and backstory missing that helps fill in the TV show and have nothing really to do with spoiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom