• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Prob

Banned
lol indeed. Theon getting pissed at the hornblower dude is one of my favorite things of the year.

It's like your neighbor with the lawnmower but it's a bunch of dudes and they have swords.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Yo, I'm looking for some GOT shirts, I remember seeing a Stark shirt of a cute direwolf saying "winter is coming" and some of the other houses, does anyone know where I can get one>

I tried looking for it for you, but all I could find was one that said "Adopt a Dire Wolf".

aFIGurANT

Yep GoT is great popcorn grade entertainment before the week starts no doubt, that's the line you've got to try to walk though when watching it and discussing it. For me I mean these last episodes are just kind of gimmicky and just plot twists on top of plot twists but were still ok. On the whole though the book and tv stuff is just nonsense to compare because you, at some point, have to face the reality that hbo is used to cashing in on the true blood level stuff with no problem. Game of thrones is definitely susceptible to going down a similar road but I like to think the setting and some of the still-un-fucked-up characters are more than capable of keeping people interested.

Last season was better overall.

still probably the best show ever made.

If sopranos took characters to the next level, this continues that but also adds a real narrative. It makes such a difference when you know the show has a clear road map. It never feels like the show treads water or bloated with fillers.

Best show ever made? It wasn't even the best drama that was airing on Sundays this spring. Both The Borgias and Mad Men demolish it on nearly every level I can think of.

Some of the praise that this show is getting is across the interwebs is absurd, unless of course you're joking, in which case: Brilliant.

njean777

So just got done with the season and have to say Season one was much better, but I still enjoyed Season 2. Also one thing among many that was werid to me (COK Spoilers)
is the complete lack of Joejen and his sister from Brans story. WTF how did they forget those characters?

bengraven

No HBO on Sunday nights until the fall is a sad thing. The behind the scenes glimpse at the new season of Boardwalk Empire looked great.

Yeah and I miss my Monday morning discussions via email with a friend about whatever is on. For nearly a year we've had some geeky show to talk about on Mondays (Walking Dead, then GOT) and now it's just kind of "eh" until WD starts back up.

aFIGurANT

So just got done with the season and have to say Season one was much better, but I still enjoyed Season 2. Also one thing among many that was werid to me (COK Spoilers)
is the complete lack of Joejen and his sister from Brans story. WTF how did they forget those characters?

Another small thing that is missing but that is definitely missed sorely. Kind of along the same lines as the crew that Jon was with before being captured - just got cut due to a lack of feasibility(?).

They are in S3 though it has been said.

Another small thing that is missing but that is definitely missed sorely. Kind of along the same lines as the crew that Jon was with before being captured - just got cut due to a lack of feasibility(?).

They are in S3 though it has been said.

The guys with Halfhand? They were killed in an ambush by the wildlings that resulted in Halfhands capture when they went looking for Jon.

And yes, the Reeds were pushed to season 3. This was done for two main reasons. The first one, as stated directly by D&D and Cogman, is that they didn't need to introduce those character this season, and they were already expanding the cast of characters in season 2 significantly, so a push to season 3 was made. The second reason is my opinion, and includes series spoilers
In ASOS and ADWD, which will be at minimum, the next 3 seasons, possibly more, Bran has a total of 7 chapters. A couple other things to keep in mind are that with two seasons of ASOS, they will have much more room to let the characters breath and expand them, and there they didn't really cover much warging this season (avoiding late season warging by Bran and Jon). I think, with explanations from the Reeds, they plan on starting to cover warging for Bran, Jon, and possibly Ayra (maybe even Robb as well, as one of the theories of why he distanced himself from Grey Wind was that he started having warg "dreams", and didn't know what they meant/was frightened of them. I believe somewhere that GRRM said that in hindsight, he wishes he would have done Robb POV in ASOS, which people also believe may have been to reveal that he was involuntarily warging into Grey Wind).

Famassu

In the books,
it's actually neither of them. It's heavily implied (through several readings it later becomes clearer) that it was a third person who stole tyrions knife and hired someone to kill bran with it, not knowing the value of a dragonbone hilt dagger.
Why in fucking hell are you spoiling something like this in this thread?

Gvaz

Banned
Why in fucking hell are you spoiling something like this in this thread?

The only people who know what I'm talking about, are people who already know all about it. It was entirely vague so there's no need to spoiler it, since I'm 100% sure it will never be mentioned in the shows.

Joni

The only people who know what I'm talking about, are people who already know all about it. It was entirely vague so there's no need to spoiler it, since I'm 100% sure it will never be mentioned in the shows.
Book talk so spoiler tags are needed.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Saw these two pieces of art on the side of teefury so I made a couple of avatars. Enjoy.

RpdGC.png
9hrC2.png

LLG9M.png
N5EeJ.png

diunxx

Last season was better overall.

still probably the best show ever made.

If sopranos took characters to the next level, this continues that but also adds a real narrative. It makes such a difference when you know the show has a clear road map. It never feels like the show treads water or bloated with fillers.

:lol

It's a slow process the way I write, especially books of this size that are as large and complex as they are. It's still a slow process. I am aware of the TV series moving along behind me like a giant locomotive, and I know I need to lay the track more quickly, perhaps, because the locomotive is soon going to be bearing down on me. The last thing I want is for the TV series to catch up with me. I've got a considerable headstart, but production is moving faster than I can write. I'm hoping that we'll finish the story at about the same time... we'll see.

Winds of Winter confirmed for 2020 release.

Randdalf

Winds of Winter confirmed for 2020 release.

A Dream Of Spring you mean, TWOW should be released in the middle of that period. Assuming he doesn't have the massive writing hiccups he did with the previous two books, 3 years is a pretty good estimate for each book, which is enough time for the series to catch up.

A Dream Of Spring you mean, TWOW should be released in the middle of that period. Assuming he doesn't have the massive writing hiccups he did with the previous two books, 3 years is a pretty good estimate for each book, which is enough time for the series to catch up.

I think 2-3 years is likely. He did a lot of the heavy lifting with AFFC/ADWD; I'm not saying the rest of the books will be easy sailing, but he has certainly passed the murky waters that slowed progress with those books.

bengraven

I think 2-3 years is likely. He did a lot of the heavy lifting with AFFC/ADWD; I'm not saying the rest of the books will be easy sailing, but he has certainly passed the murky waters that slowed progress with those books.

Yeah, every time he stood up.
Had to be done.

I'm not even putting Winds on my radar. I came into the wait late, having read the books only two years before Dance came out. I saw what madness strikes people waiting for these books and for the sake of my own sanity, I'm going to try and put it off my radar.

If it wasn't for the show I would completely forget this series existed for a few years.

Famassu

But non-book readers might've still thought about the other alternatives, now you give them a definitive answer that what they might be thinking is not true and there's someone else. Also, the identity of the one who did it will definitely be revealed in the tv series as it's kind of a big thing, as that's something [SERIES]
which gives the shithead that is also known as Joffrey a bit of a human side, since he did it for his father (King Robert), whom he very much admired & loved

I really don't think The Winds of Winter will take nearly as long as AFFC & ADWD. The hardships he had with AFFC & ADWD were because he had to scrap earlier plans (causing the infamous Meereenese knot), he was expanding the scope, introducing quite a few new sides, tried to handle the fallout from ASOS, introduced new locales and they also build up for the future conflicts, which needs certain things to happen and certain characters to be in certain places. Now the pieces are in their right places, the introductions are out of the way and he can focus on mostly just pushing the story forward. Though, I'd expect WOW to be another ACOK and Two Towers, which have some awesome stuff but which are clearly the middle parts of trilogies.

Yeah, every time he stood up.
Had to be done.

I'm not even putting Winds on my radar. I came into the wait late, having read the books only two years before Dance came out. I saw what madness strikes people waiting for these books and for the sake of my own sanity, I'm going to try and put it off my radar.

If it wasn't for the show I would completely forget this series existed for a few years.

Good call. I read the books soon after ASOS came out and the wait for AFFC was brutal. That was back when hed still give out estimates on when the book would come out. The wait was agony. ADWD was easier. Now I just assume 5-6 for the next book. 2015 is possible, but I'm not holding my breath.

MNC

So there's this stupid feeling I have. Book 3 is divided into 2 parts because it's the "main part" of the story and everything else is like an intro and an outro. It's making my view of the story a bit gauded and makes me think that everything after book 3-2 is wrapping up stuff. That can't be right, right... So just a simple "No, that's completely wrong" is enough :D

So there's this stupid feeling I have. Book 3 is divided into 2 parts because it's the "main part" of the story and everything else is like an intro and an outro. It's making my view of the story a bit gauded and makes me think that everything after book 3-2 is wrapping up stuff. That can't be right, right... So just a simple "No, that's completely wrong" is enough :D

No, that's completely wrong.

- WiC.net: Season Two ratings overview

Podcast from the Rolling Stone reviewer Sean T. Collins:
- ‘Game’ Theory’: What ‘Game of Thrones’ Season Two Got Right and Wrong *spoilers through ADWD*

Downloading the podcast to listen to later. Now that the season is complete, it's interesting to see what people liked and disliked as a whole. I listened to the one with Winter and Fire and Blood from WIC yesterday. Interesting discussion, especially from those two, who are much more level headed and look at things from different perspectives instead of just rage about changes.

One thing they didn't mention in the things that they didn't like about this season that I was a little surprised about was dropping the ball on Robb this season, which is my chief complaint behind Jon's plot obviously.

Nlroh

Reading the other thread made me think that [SoS]
it would be cool if they make Sansa part of the conspiracy to kill Joffrey. It would be much more compelling for her as a character to know before the wedding that the hairnet is hiding the poison.

Socreges

Banned
Without spoiling anything, do you guys think that dividing up AFFC and/or ADoD into two seasons each is necessary? Or wise? They'd end up filming the latter half of Dance in 2017.

I've only just begun AFFC so I have no opinion.

Reading the other thread made me think that [SoS]
it would be cool if they make Sansa part of the conspiracy to kill Joffrey. It would be much more compelling for her as a character to know before the wedding that the hairnet is hiding the poison.
SoS
I'd hate that. It's pretty important that the viewer (like the reader) can't see it coming. It's also pretty compelling as it's already written.

agrajag

Banned
That review says that (book 3 spoiler, I guess)
Joffrey said that Tywin was afraid of the Mad King and that he was a coward? I missed that somehow. That actually happened in the book?

Nlroh

Totally disagree with that.

(sos)
She has to do something, and if they're going to have Joffrey's death until season 4... I don't know what she could be doing all the time. Having her locked in her room and going to dinner with Cersei or the Tyrells is going to get boring soon. I also think the show is going that way with the Littlefinger-Sansa scene last episode.

(sos)
She has to do something, and if they're going to have Joffrey's death until season 4... I don't know what she could be doing all the time. Having her locked in her room and going to dinner with Cersei or the Tyrells is going to get boring soon. I also think the show is going that way with the Littlefinger-Sansa scene last episode.
You know what else would be cool? (SOS)
If we got to see Walder Frey and Roose Bolton preparing for the Red Wedding. I mean, Roose was featured pretty heavily during season 2, and he's got nothing to do next season otherwise!

Or, what Socreges said.

Nlroh

You know what else would be cool? (SOS)
If we got to see Walder Frey and Roose Bolton preparing for the Red Wedding. I mean, Roose was featured pretty heavily during season 2, and he's got nothing to do next season otherwise!

Or, what Socreges said.

(sos)
Sansa is a POV character. She needs to do something and I don't remember any of her actions in the book being that memorable or fit for a good tv scene. Being her decision to wear the hairnet would show that she's not the shy girl who's being used as a pawn by everyone. I prefer character growth than a surprise being a surprise just for the sake of it.
I'm all open to changing the book.

Speevy

Banned
I wonder if they'll <SoS>
keep the same amount of simultaneous stories when the Red Wedding happens, or if new ones will pop up.

Nyx

Wait, so there's a lot of people who dislike the show?

WTF?

Been watching S1 and S2 in the last months, finished up S2 last weekend, and I love it!
S2 was even better than S1 as well, but after reading the last pages over here I feel like I have bad taste lol.

Really curious to see how all the stories continue, so many great characters!

Tyrion Lannister is my fav, but I also really like the stories of Daenerys, Theon, Arya, Joffrey (the actor is so great for this role!), Jaime and Brienne, and finally Jaqen, of whom I really am curious about the backstory.

Oh I haven't read the books. ;)

Wait, so there's a lot of people who dislike the show?

WTF?

Been watching S1 and S2 in the last months, finished up S2 last weekend, and I love it!
S2 was even better than S1 as well, but after reading the last pages over here I feel like I have bad taste lol.

Really curious to see how all the stories continue, so many great characters!

Tyrion Lannister is my fav, but I also really like the stories of Daenerys, Theon, Arya, Joffrey (the actor is so great for this role!), Jaime and Brienne, and finally Jaqen, of whom I really am curious about the backstory.

Oh I haven't read the books. ;)

Most of us really like the show, but our complaints (mostly from book readers) are heard louder than the praises.

Ah ok, guess that if a series/movie about a book changes some big plot-stuff it's annoying if you read first and watched later.

Yeah season 2 was not as close to the books as season 1, and many people felt like some of the changes were for the worse. Most people still agree it's a very good show though.

Enosh

you know reading through the books, I am not buying the ages
I know the whole point of robb is that he is a boy king yada yada, but i still don't buy a 15 year old Robb, or 14 year old Dany, my sister is 13 soon to be 14, can't imagine someone as old as her leading an army

I know there were examples of this in the middle ages, but from my understanding they were rather rare
I just imagine everyone as about the age they are on the show

you know reading through the books, I am not buying the ages
I know the whole point of robb is that he is a boy king yada yada, but i still don't buy a 15 year old Robb, or 14 year old Dany, my sister is 13 soon to be 14, can't imagine someone as old as her leading an army

I know there were examples of this in the middle ages, but from my understanding they were rather rare
I just imagine everyone as about the age they are on the show

It was a good decision to age those characters up in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom