• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruze789

The Season 2 soundtrack is so good!
Davos' drums are in the Wildfire track, I didn't think they would be since they were 'in' the show. The whole album is excellent, but it's 8 tracks shorter than the Season 1 soundtrack which was a bit disappointing.
But it does at least have everything on it that actually made me note how much I liked the music while watching the show.

jett

D-Member
you know reading through the books, I am not buying the ages
I know the whole point of robb is that he is a boy king yada yada, but i still don't buy a 15 year old Robb, or 14 year old Dany, my sister is 13 soon to be 14, can't imagine someone as old as her leading an army

I know there were examples of this in the middle ages, but from my understanding they were rather rare
I just imagine everyone as about the age they are on the show

The kids' ages added a lot to the story, for me. I do not care for they were aged up in the show, they even made the actors for Jon, Theon and Robb appear older than they are in real life.

I marathoned through season 1 and 2 in a two week period, and the show lost a bit in season 2 I believe. The last two episodes were fuck-awesome-too-good-for-tv stuff, but the one thing I got out of it is that I rather read the books.

With that said, I won't stop watching the show. Not as good as Boardwalk or BB, but it's up there.

Damn shame that Taylor won't at least get to direct that one episode that was originally planned. Hopefully he is back in full force for season 4, I love his direction on this show.

David Nutter will direct the final two episodes of season 3. Hmm, he was a mixed bag for his episodes this season, I know a lot of GAF didn't like him. They have quite the void to fill with Taylor being gone next season (he directed four episodes this year), so it will be interesting to see who they get.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Nobody posted this yesterday?

tumblr_m5f8pi9iEp1r49q9to1_500.jpg

tumblr_m5f8pi9iEp1r49q9to2_500.jpg

Kuroyume

Banned
Was thinking about the Blackwater episode and Stannis taking the fight to King's Landing and it reminded me of the lack of Litghtbringer. Wish they had made his sword glow with CG. Not big deal but don't see why they omitted it.

squicken

I'm in the middle of going through S2. DVR'd them so I could watch them at my own speed. It's basically plot plot plot plot plot plot plot. It's like an over-caffeinated 7 year old telling his grandfather about his day at the zoo. There's no pacing. The POV jumps work in the book but not for the show, at least not at the rate they blast them out.

I've read the books, so I'm not worried about spoilers. I've got to the part where Robb meets the wife, and I've got a bad feeling on how it will play. Martin was smart to just give us that he was married, and not fire off another crap ass teenage drama romance.

oh god... oh god... is he going to direct the <ASoS>
red wedding episode!?

Oh fuck me...

Probably...

I didn't hate Nutter's directing as much as most of this thread did, but to hear that he's going to be directing the final two episodes of the season is not an exciting prospect to put it kindly.

jett

D-Member
The directors aren't the problem frankly, in terms of actual directing quality the show is one big soup of averageness. There are only two standout scenes in season 2: Tyrion playing the small council(which was the director's idea to edit it that way), and the wildfire nuke(this is really more due to HBO ponying up dat cash). The problems lie in the scripts.

Unfortunately, the folks whose fault it is that the scripts are bad will be back next season, too. Maybe we'll luck out and they'll let Cogman write multiple episodes next year.

Do we know why Cogman only writes one episode a season? I know he's deeply involved with the entire planning out/writing process of the seasons as a whole, but I'd like to see him write another episode or two. I really liked the writing of both his episodes: "Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things" and "What is Dead May Never Die". I'd certainly rather have him write episodes than Vanessa Taylor, whose writing I didn't think was that great.

Socreges

Banned
The directors aren't the problem frankly, in terms of actual directing quality the show is one big soup of averageness. There are only two standout scenes in season 2: Tyrion playing the small council(which was the director's idea to edit it that way), and the wildfire nuke(this is really more due to HBO ponying up dat cash). The problems lie in the scripts.
Well said.

My expectations will be lower from now on after this season. They're going to continue to steer away from the books and their creative liberties won't always be up to snuff. I still really enjoy the series for the most part, though.

Nlroh

Do we know why Cogman only writes one episode a season? I know he's deeply involved with the entire planning out/writing process of the seasons as a whole, but I'd like to see him write another episode or two. I really liked the writing of both his episodes: "Cripples, Bastards, and Broken Things" and "What is Dead May Never Die". I'd certainly rather have him write episodes than Vanessa Taylor, whose writing I didn't think was that great.

Vanessa Taylor is the worst writer in the show.

What's wrong with Nutter? The way he handled Theon was superb, especially the killing of Rodrik

And frankly his camera work is far less TV-like than many of the other episodes. Though that may come down to the cinematographer

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Well let's look at the bright side here, it's not his fault the scripts are butt.
The script wasn't the worst thing in those episodes. The "riot" in King's Landing where the extras stood around and didn't do much and the "angry mob" dragging Jaime the next episode where again the extras didn't do anything were. A good director would have made those better.

What's wrong with Nutter? The way he handled Theon was superb, especially the killing of Rodrik

And frankly his camera work is far less TV-like than many of the other episodes. Though that may come down to the cinematographer

I thought he was a mixed bag. He did some scenes really well (the killing of Rodrik), but he didn't do well in specifically scenes with extras (the riot in Kings Landing and Jaime being dragged through the Stark camp).

aceface

What about Theon writing the letter and getting baptized. I liked those.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

The scripts will always be problematic (and let's be clear, they're not where they need to be)], but the direction remains my biggest problem with the show.

It doesn't help that it aired back to back with Mad Men, which classed the fuck out o' dis joint this year.

What about Theon writing the letter and getting baptized. I liked those.

Yeah those were really good. Alik Sakharov directed that episode (used to be a DP for episode 1, 2, 9, 10 on season 1. Tim Van Patten and Alan Taylor's episodes). I thought he did a good job, would like to see him return. As someone that's obsessed with cinematography, I usually like directors that come from a background in cinematography.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah those were really good. Alik Sakharov directed that episode (used to be a DP for episode 1, 2, 9, 10 on season 1. Tim Van Patten and Alan Taylor's episodes). I thought he did a good job, would like to see him return. As someone that's obsessed with cinematography, I usually like directors that come from a background in cinematography.

Alik has been kicking ass since back in the Sopranos days.

M.D

I bought the first two books a couple of days ago (already watched the first two seasons), and I'm loving it so far. I don't mind that I've watched the show. reading the books is a different experience.

I was worried before I bought them that It'll be difficult for me to read, since English is not my native language, but it turned out okay. I never heard a lot of the words he uses, but I understand what he's trying to say. looks like this will also be a learning experience :)
It does take me a while to read tho. I like to read it slowly and take my time with it. I'm only on page 44. It's shocking to learn how young they are!

(ASOS)
The red wedding
needs to be really special. It needs the right stuff. What the French call a certain... I don't know what. No run of the mill directing will do. Simply
cutting their throats won't do it justice. If its like the throat cutting scene in "A man without honor" I'll be very disappointed. It needs the right tone, the right build up, the right music, an element of shock and surprise

Iksenpets

Banned
I bought the first two books a couple of days ago (already watched the first two seasons), and I'm loving it so far. I don't mind that I've watched the show. reading the books is a different experience.

I was worried before I bought them that It'll be difficult for me to read, since English is not my native language, but it turned out okay. I never heard a lot of the words he uses, but I understand what he's trying to say. looks like this will also be a learning experience :)
It does take me a while to read tho. I like to read it slowly and take my time with it. I'm only on page 44. It's shocking to learn how young they are!

I wouldn't worry about not knowing a lot of words he uses, there's a lot of very old language in there that the average native English speaker doesn't know either. But the grammar and the non-archaic vocabulary is all pretty simple, like I'd probably guess an eighth grade reading level or thereabouts, so it's a pretty easy read, even when you're not entirely sure on all the differences between a jerkin or a doublet, or between a destrier and a courser.

M.D

I wouldn't worry about not knowing a lot of words he uses, there's a lot of very old language in there that the average native English speaker doesn't know either. But the grammar and the non-archaic vocabulary is all pretty simple, like I'd probably guess an eighth grade reading level or thereabouts, so it's a pretty easy read, even when you're not entirely sure on all the differences between a jerkin or a doublet, or between a destrier and a courser.

It's a pretty easy read so far. Even when I don't know the word, I understand what he's trying to say, so it's okay.

Does some happen to have this version of the book?

I bought this version, and the quality of the book is really poor :\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom