• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
- WiC.net: Two short, new promos with a little bit of new footage

Some stills/gifs:

Ksz8t.gif
Great shot from the season premiere.

Well then you are lost!

Agreed on both points.

[Series Spoilers]
[ADwD levels of spoilers] Don't know why, just don't find daenery's story entertaining. Her whole draw for me in the first book was the dragons. After they were born they became more of a nuisance than anything. The only cool thing that has happened is the House of the Dying and when she took over Ghis. Daenerys herself isn't a likeable character. She makes a ton of dumb decisions (they're not easy decisions but you want to see a resolution in her arc eventually...). I think what pushed me over the edge is reading her dumb fantasies about Daario. She acts like a kid, which is the intention I think. People want her on the throne but I think that would be a bad idea. Its as if Martin is toying with people's perceptions of a perfect leader, and if that said person could actually exist (I think he plays around with this as well in Jon's Story, and we know how that ends up.. (I refuse to believe he's dead)).

I don't dislike bran's story as much but he's in the same boat. His story is very slow paced. His and Jon's story were my favorite in A Dance with Dragons, but he didn't really get that many chapters in book 5 (I think it was like 6-7 chapters). His story is more interesting to me because of the fantastical elements than his character, though I really hope he doesn't become tree-man. He deserves so much more than that.

[Series Spoilers]
She acts like a kid, which is the intention I think. People want her on the throne but I think that would be a bad idea

[Series Spoilers]
As you say, that's the point - she has a lot of support due to her Dragons and legacy, yet she's a poor leader that has consistently made bad decisions, in part due to her upbringing.

bengraven

There are two major original scenes in ep2 which seem to indicate the show is starting to move more rapidly into its own direction for some characterizations, rather than being completely faithful.

The Stannis/Mel scene and the Jon scene at the end are stuff which were not in the books at all, but contain elements which were suggested or hinted at in the books, yet never confirmed by any of the characters. By depicting them in this way, especially Jon seeing a baby taken by an Other... I'm not sure where they're going to go with this. But I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt first.

(ep2 spoiler/COK)
Like others have said, it's heavily hinted that she's a succubus-like character - fucking Stannis to gain his seed to make shadow babies and draining him in the meantime.

What I'm interested in is that they seemed to have combined his wife and daughter into one character. In the books, Shireen is a loud, proud and arrogantly pious woman. Their daughter is quiet, sickly, and hidden away. In the show it's hinted that his wife is the sickly, hidden away one and that he doesn't have a daughter.

(SOS spoiler/ep 2 spoiler)
In the books we never really know if the Others actually take the children. When it's said that he leaves his sons for the Others, I always assumed it might just be a common phrase, similar to the curse "the Others take you!". I assumed he left them in a clearing and whether they died of cold/starvation/animals or if the Others actually took him, it's still considered "being taken by the Others.

But now it's TV canon that he hands them over.

I'm more curious how he gets out of this. Crastor isn't one to just let you go on your way after insulting him. I think the only way out of this is to kill Crastor a season early.

BayZ2.gif

And yes, this page has a ton of black bars.

I'm more curious how he gets out of this. Crastor isn't one to just let you go on your way after insulting him. I think the only way out of this is to kill Crastor a season early.

In the previews I remember Jon saying he saw something, but can't remember it. I'm going to guess Ghost chases Craster off so Craster can't kill Jon. Jon probably pulls a Bran and can't remember anything from the head hit.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
In the books we never really know if the Others actually take the children. When it's said that he leaves his sons for the Others, I always assumed it might just be a common phrase, similar to the curse "the Others take you!". I assumed he left them in a clearing and whether they died of cold/starvation/animals or if the Others actually took him, it's still considered "being taken by the Others.

But now it's TV canon that he hands them over.

And yes, this page has a ton of black bars.
Well personally,
I was always under the impression that he did.

bengraven

In the previews I remember Jon saying he saw something, but can't remember it. I'm going to guess Ghost chases Craster off so Craster can't kill Jon. Jon probably pulls a Bran and can't remember anything from the head hit.

Possibly. I remember that scene you're referring to in the previews.

Well personally,

I guess I just didn't realize that he (COK/ep2 spoiler)
was straight up HANDING them over. I assumed he left them and what happened, happened. I never realized he was actually in congress with them. Then again, this threat that was really only shown twice in the first season and mocked in this very episode probably needed to be telegraphed back to the non-readers who may have forgotten about the Others.

[Series Spoilers]
but he didn't really get that many chapters in book 5 (I think it was like 6-7 chapters).

(Series Spoilers)
He has three chapters in that book lol. He has a combined 7 between that book and ASOS.

Well personally,

ACOK spoilers
I always interpreted that it was pretty obvious that he did hand them other, but no one had ever seen him do it, nor were they going to confront him about it.

http://vaidah.net/Miscu/gifs/GoT-TyrionPeeingOffWall.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]Heh.
[quote="Basileus777, post: 36677019"]Most of these black bars would exist without the leak, there's a bunch of talk of book stuff.[/QUOTE]Some of them would, certainly. I'm just joking around because there isn't much else to discuss. ;)

but then episode 3 will be released on HBO GO
Nope.
WiC.net said:
The second episode of season two was briefly available today on HBO GO in the Netherlands and Poland, but has since been removed. I reached out to HBO about the reports we had heard of these territories claiming they will be airing every episode of season two a week early and they confirmed that that will not happen. The episodes will continue to air in the US first and then on the foreign subsidiaries sometime thereafter.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Possibly. I remember that scene you're referring to in the previews.

I guess I just didn't realize that he (COK/ep2 spoiler)
was straight up HANDING them over. I assumed he left them and what happened, happened. I never realized he was actually in congress with them. Then again, this threat that was really only shown twice in the first season and mocked in this very episode probably needed to be telegraphed back to the non-readers who may have forgotten about the Others.
I could see that being the case.
ACOK spoilers
I always interpreted that it was pretty obvious that he did hand them other, but no one had ever seen him do it, nor were they going to confront him about it.
Same.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Pretty sad for European HBO subscribers.
I wonder what the reason is for Europeans getting the episodes later than the US customers?
Especially now that it has been shown that European localisation isn't as complicated/slow as was initially presumed.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Pretty sad for European HBO subscribers.
I wonder what the reason is for Europeans getting the episodes later than the US customers?
Especially now that it has been shown that European localisation isn't as complicated/slow as was initially presumed.
It's about HBO knowing where their bread is buttered.

Oh ok.

p.s. WiC is wrong, some areas are getting a simultaneous airing, like Latin America.
Simultaneous is fine, HBO just isn't going to let any region air it before the US.

Also, small thing about ep 2
The title of the episode was named after a very small part of the episode. Just thought that was a little odd.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Hang on.
Just reading that WiC.net quote again:
I reached out to HBO about the reports we had heard of these territories claiming they will be airing every episode of season two a week early and they confirmed that that will not happen.
Forgive me, but wasn't the situation that HBOGo would be streaming the episodes a week early? Not necessarily airing on HBO them? I hope HBO didn't pull some wordplay on WiC. lolz

KingK

Regarding (ACOK/ep2)
Craster leaving his sons for the Others, it's very heavily implied in the books that he intentionally handed them over to the Others and that these regular sacrifices are the only reason his keep hadn't been wiped out by them yet. Even in the show Mormont mentions how Craster's is the only wildling encampment they've seen that hasn't been abandoned.

Regarding (ACOK/ep2)
Craster leaving his sons for the Others, it's very heavily implied in the books that he intentionally handed them over to the Others and that these regular sacrifices are the only reason his keep hadn't been wiped out by them yet. Even in the show Mormont mentions how Craster's is the only wildling encampment they've seen that hasn't been abandoned.

Not sure what your point is. The show is pretty faithful to the books in this plotline.

bengraven

floyE.gif

Wait, I think I'm doing it wrong.

sam-the-wizard.png

ha, maybe I am. anyway...

I have to say that I loved Crastor's Keep. In the books it's kind of described as a long hall, maybe rectangular shaped and with a table and a loft. It was still surrounded by spikes, but the show gave it a more menacing feel than the book did. The insides are very claustrophobic, the outside more foggy and dark.

Hell, I thought it was actually rather cozy, despite the inbred children.

KingK

Not sure what your point is. The show is pretty faithful to the books in this plotline.

I know, earlier in the thread there was some discussion over whether or not that was in the books, because there's a scene in episode two that explicitly shows it. I was just saying that while it was never directly stated in the book, it was heavily implied.

Suairyu

Banned
So, two comments from the premiere:

1 - It feels like episode 11, rather than season 2 episode 1. This is a good thing. Far too often, the production and writing crew come back from their break, their flow broken, and season 2 of the TV show feels like something different, a brand new 'episode one' rather than the continuation. This happened with Deadwood, Mad Men, Battlestar Galactica and countless others. Game Of Thrones has avoided this trap.

2 - Maybe it's because everyone is now much more comfortable in their various on-screen and off-screen roles, but the quality of the writing, direction and editing seems to have taken a noticeable leap up. Although the plot necessitates none of the singular moments can rival anything in season one, the overall feel of construction of the scenes seem far higher than the previous season's average.

Looking forward to more!

bengraven

So, two comments from the premiere:

1 - It feels like episode 11, rather than season 2 episode 1. This is a good thing. Far too often, the production and writing crew come back from their break, their flow broken, and season 2 of the TV show feels like something different, a brand new 'episode one' rather than the continuation. This happened with Deadwood, Mad Men, Battlestar Galactica and countless others. Game Of Thrones has avoided this trap.

2 - Maybe it's because everyone is now much more comfortable in their various on-screen and off-screen roles, but the quality of the writing, direction and editing seems to have taken a noticeable leap up. Although the plot necessitates none of the singular moments can rival anything in season one, the overall feel of construction of the scenes seem far higher than the previous season's average.

Looking forward to more!

They do have a bigger budget this season as well, which comes through.

Duki

Banned
doesnt one of the daughter wives acok/asos spoilers
literally call the others "craster's sons" at one point? like, "crasters sons are coming" and then the others arrive with the wights. i swear i remember reading that lol.

seemed pretty clear that they took the babies and made them into more others to me but i dunno

Suairyu

Banned
They do have a bigger budget this season as well, which comes through.
Absolutely, but it was the writing and general direction more than anything that stuck out as upgraded. You can't increase those two with budget, unless you're thinking of replacing your crew and writing team with more expensive options.

bengraven

doesnt one of the daughter wives acok spoilers
literally call the others "craster's sons" at one point? like, "crasters sons are coming" and then the others arrive with the wights. i swear i remember reading that lol.

seemed pretty clear that they took the babies and made them into more others to me but i dunno

That's kind of a SOS spoiler in a way, what they call them. Even though there's still a ton of speculation as to what they are, but yes, they're referred to as that in SOS.

Absolutely, but it was the writing and general direction more than anything that stuck out as upgraded. You can't increase those two with budget, unless you're thinking of replacing your crew and writing team with more expensive options.

Honestly? I've said it earlier about Lena in that scene with Tyrion, but I really think that some people were able to take this more seriously this year after it became a huge hit and was nominated/won all those awards. I'm still convinced Lena was like "oh, this is a show people care about, not just some bullshit B-quality teenage fantasy thing I do for a paycheck between movies - I suppose I can bring my A game now".

Duki

Banned
That's kind of a SOS spoiler in a way, what they call them. Even though there's still a ton of speculation as to what they are, but yes, they're referred to as that in SOS.

oh lol shit, ill fix it. its all blended together for me at this point

bengraven

oh lol shit, ill fix it. its all blended together for me at this point

Nah, like I said, it's all speculation as to what they are. (SOS)
It's when the wives are telling Sam to get his fat ass up off the ground and leave with Gilly because "Crastor's sons are coming". The others are going to show up since their deal with Crastor is complete, I suppose.

Duki

Banned
Nah, like I said, it's all speculation as to what they are. (SOS)
It's when the wives are telling Sam to get his fat ass up off the ground and leave with Gilly because "Crastor's sons are coming". The others are going to show up since their deal with Crastor is complete, I suppose.

asos spoilers
thats after he gets killed yeah? makes sense, their deal was with him and then its over

shit thats cool, nerd chills all over that scene

bengraven

asos spoilers
thats after he gets killed yeah? makes sense, their deal was with him and then its over

shit thats cool, nerd chills all over that scene

Yep, and if the show is canon approved by Martin, then I guess that's exactly what he was up to.

I'm done now, no more spoilers I promise Cornballer. haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom