• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hasn't the idea of them filming two seasons back-to-back pretty much been debunked? We might get more than 10 episodes for season 3, but that's it.

RankoSD

Some stills/gifs:

3HKZQ.gif

M0M57.gif

xKQ8L.gif

4Hlg5.gif

A5jdP.gif

gvKC7.gif

Ksz8t.gif

Puddles

Banned
Thing is, aren't the Riverlands one of the Seven Kingdoms? I think they meant to say "the Crownlands".

The North (Stark), The Vale (Arryn), The Westerlands (Lannister), The Stormlands (Baratheon), The Reach (Tyrell), Dorne (Martell), and... the Riverlands (Tully), right?

Thing is, aren't the Riverlands one of the Seven Kingdoms? I think they meant to say "the Crownlands".

The North (Stark), The Vale (Arryn), The Westerlands (Lannister), The Stormlands (Baratheon), The Reach (Tyrell), Dorne (Martell), and... the Riverlands (Tully), right?

The Riverlands were ruled by the Ironmen before Aegon's conquest, they weren't an independent kingdom.

Arment

It's...

The Kingdom of the North, Kingdom of the Vale, Kingdom of the Isles and Rivers, Kingdom of the Rock, Kingdom of the Reach, Kingdom of the Stormlands and Kingdom of Dorne.

Kingdom of Isles and Rivers refers to The Iron Islands, where Theon is from.

bengraven

Ep.12 and ACOK spoiler/question:
Does Mel foreshadow Mathos' death by telling him 'death by fire is the purest death"?

Apparently. I didn't realize they were using Mathos in that role. That character, the squire of Stannis, is supposed to be another of his sons. I'm assuming they basically combined all his children into one...wonderful.

Kuroyume

Banned
Okay, so episode 2:
It was a pretty good episode although I feel certain things have been rushed though too quickly. Gendrey already knows Arya is a girl, and she already felt comfortable enough to reveal her true identity to him?I don't know how much time has passed between Ned's death and that scene but they should at least point it out somehow otherwise how the hell can Arya find him so trustworthy? Also, I think the red waste stuff hasn't been handled so well either. It doesn't seem as awful as it should be.

The scene at the brothel was pretty fucked up. Littlefinger comes off as pretty evil in the books and it's nice to see that side of him represented in this episode. Btw, cum on the lips anyone?

Asha is hideous. Like, ugly goth girl hideous. I've seen a picture of the actress outside of makeup and she doesn't look ugly like she does on the show. It's as if they tried to make her ugly. On one had I think it fits the hard life of the iron islands but on the other hand all I can think of is her description in the book. I got over it pretty quickly though. Even though she didn't get too many lines (so I don't have to go much of) I think she will do a good job with the part. I really enjoyed everything about the Pyke in this episode despite not liking those first few Theon chapters in the book. The dude doing Balon is doing well with the role.

Davos is pretty good but what's up with his religious beliefs? He's an atheist now? I thought he was into the seven?

Ghost! :D The CG/real wolves look so much better than the dogs. The size just feels right.

Btw, did they change the opening theme for the show? Is it a slightly different arrangement? It doesn't sound right.

Pretty sure the intro is longer.

It definitely doesn't have as nice of a flow like the S1 had.

They need to ditch the Vaes Dothrak sections, imo. Too long.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Pretty sure the intro is longer.

It definitely doesn't have as nice of a flow like the S1 had.

They need to ditch the Vaes Dothrak sections, imo. Too long.

Yeah I honestly think the credits sequence as it was in Episode 11 is pretty much ruined relative to how it started in season 1. The flow of the music is all wrong at this point.

Awesome to see the beginning of season 2 start with my favorite minor character, the Hound. Mace to face action :p.

Joffrey continuing to be the little shithead that everyone hates, the actor plays that part too well.

Love how Petyr just outplayed Cersei and the best she could do is abuse the power she didn't even earn. Even though he betrayed Ned Stark I think he deserves the throne more than any other person in king's landing.

Jon's story is my favorite in the series. Awesome start in that area.

Don't care for Daenerys or Bran's story.

They could have introduced Stannis/Melisandre better. It's easier to understand what's going on in the book because Stannis is referenced a few times in the first book. Melisandre's actor is so beautiful. Love the glowing necklace, I was hoping they would use that from the book.

Also don't care for the random sex scenes. They don't add anything to the story and the loud moaning that comes all of the sudden is really unnecessary. The renly/tyrell scene from season 1 was ok because it revealed something about major characters.

[ADwD]
I'm really interested in seeing what sub plots they are keeping. Wonder if Sandor/Sansa thing will still be going on. The opening scene implies that, a long with the scene from last season where he stopped her from pushing joff over the edge. Also wondering if they'll do the shadow baby, which I never completely understood. Is it implying that stannis is making these babies with melisandre? I seem to get that hint, a long the same lines as Loras and Renly being gay.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Their idea of it "orienting the viewer" I don't think ever helped me personally.

They need to keep things zoomed out and all that shit if they're going to do it properly.

Too many sweeping camera moves.

yeah, i just basically ignore the opening and want things to get going.

apana

Awesome to see the beginning of season 2 start with my favorite minor character, the Hound. Mace to face action :p.

Joffrey continuing to be the little shithead that everyone hates, the actor plays that part too well.

Love how Petyr just outplayed Cersei and the best she could do is abuse the power she didn't even earn. Even though he betrayed Ned Stark I think he deserves the throne more than any other person in king's landing.

Jon's story is my favorite in the series. Awesome start in that area.

Don't care for Daenerys or Bran's story.

Well then you are lost!

They could have introduced Stannis/Melisandre better. It's easier to understand what's going on in the book because Stannis is referenced a few times in the first book. Melisandre's actor is so beautiful. Love the glowing necklace, I was hoping they would use that from the book.

Also don't care for the random sex scenes. They don't add anything to the story and the loud moaning that comes all of the sudden is really unnecessary. The renly/tyrell scene from season 1 was ok because it revealed something about major characters

[ADwD]
I'm really interested in seeing what sub plots they are keeping. Wonder if Sandor/Sansa thing will still be going on. The opening scene implies that, a long with the scene from last season where he stopped her from pushing joff over the edge. Also wondering if they'll do the shadow baby, which I never completely understood. Is it implying that stannis is making these babies with melisandre? I seem to get that hint, a long the same lines as Loras and Renly being gay.

Agreed on both points.

[ADwD]
ACOK spoilers
Shadowbaby is happening. Catelyn's actress commented about filming a scene with a ton of special effects.

Cracked and watched episode two. Damn me. :/

Ep 2 and ACOK spoilers
No Starks=not a good episode. Nah kidding, I enjoyed it, but I liked the first one more. Tyrion's scenes were really good, enjoyed the parallels of dialogue from the Night's watch visit. Varys is great, the Janos Slynt scene was great as well. How did Tyrion name Commander of the City Watch in the Book?

Despite the stuff looking really cool in the trailers, finally seeing Theon's arc start reminded me why I don't like his arc in this book and the Greyjoy's in general. I thought it was well shot though.

I'd heard about that Stannis and Melisandre scene before I'd watched it, so I wasn't surprised by it. I find myself pretty uninterested in Stannis, which I guess fits my feeling about him in the book. Davos' scene was great though, really digging that portrayal on screen.

Interesting scene at the end with Jon. I'll admit I dropped an 'oh shit!' when Craster took an axe to his face. I guess that will jump start the Night's Watch moving on from the Keep.

Only real complaint I have is the Ros/Littlefinger scene. Haven't we established enough times that Littlefinger is only in it for himself and is generally a pretty bad guy? Scene felt totally unnecessary, and Ros is useless. (That's coming from someone that actually thought her arc made decent sense for expanding Theon in the first season.)

F!ReW!Re

Only real complaint I have is the Ros/Littlefinger scene. Haven't we established enough times that Littlefinger is only in it for himself and is generally a pretty bad guy? Scene felt totally unnecessary, and Ros is useless. (That's coming from someone that actually thought her arc made decent sense for expanding Theon in the first season.)

I think they are overdoing it with Littlefinger.. In the books, you know something is wrong about that guy, he's a minor player in the beginning, until later you find out that he's a BIG player and major schemer with a hand/finger in most of the major "incidents" in the whole story...

In my opinion they are already establishing him as an evil SOB and that's gonna lessen the impact of some of the later reveals...

I think they are overdoing it with Littlefinger.. In the books, you know something is wrong about that guy, he's a minor player in the beginning, until later you find out that he's a BIG player and major schemer with a hand/finger in most of the major "incidents" in the whole story...

In my opinion they are already establishing him as an evil SOB and that's gonna lessen the impact of some of the later reveals...

What impact? His lack of character was already known from the events of book 1.

ACOK/ep2
For me it's more about just repetitive scenes that keep making the same point about him. We have to hammer home a point about Littlefinger that's already been made several times and we don't get a single Robb or Bran scene? I'm nitpicking, but it is really the only thing that D+D have done with the show that annoys me quite a bit.

F!ReW!Re

What impact? His lack of character was already known from the events of book 1.

ACOK/ep2
For me it's more about just repetitive scenes that keep making the same point about him. We have to hammer home a point about Littlefinger that's already been made several times and we don't get a single Robb or Bran scene? I'm nitpicking, but it is really the only thing that D+D have done with the show that annoys me quite a bit.

Storm of Swords spoiler;
Sansa learns that Littlefinger instructed Lysa to poison her husband Jon Arryn and blame the Lannisters for the crime, which is a catalyst to the events of A Game of Thrones.

I would say that's a pretty big impact on the reader, I mean I always thought whilest reading he was an annoying, evil little bastard, but having revealed that indirectly he's the instigator for the whole "war of the five kings" is a pretty big thing if you ask me :)

Storm of Swords spoiler;
Sansa learns that Littlefinger instructed Lysa to poison her husband Jon Arryn and blame the Lannisters for the crime, which is a catalyst to the events of A Game of Thrones.

I would say that's a pretty big impact on the reader, I mean I always thought whilest reading he was an annoying, evil little bastard, but having revealed that indirectly he's the instigator for the whole "war of the five kings" is a pretty big thing if you ask me :)

But
none of that has been revealed in the show. Some of that might be even less apparent because they cut out some stuff dealing with the dagger and Tyrion in season 1.

F!ReW!Re

But
none of that has been revealed in the show. Some of that might be even less apparent because they cut out some stuff dealing with the dagger and Tyrion in season 1.

So that's why I feel they are (in the show) focusing too much on him being an unlikable and evil bastard.
In the books he seems to be a small unimportant character, unlikable sure, but they do it in subtle ways (I know that's hard/impossible to do in the show) so that amplifies your reaction when you DO find out he's this evil bastard who's a major player in the game of thrones and who will do anything to get his way...

BTW, they need to change the intro back to the old one. They added a few more bars, or whatever the hell, and it throws the song off IMO. It was perfect last year.

EDIT: Heh, reading is fundamental. Same thing was mentioned only a few posts up. But yeah, they need to change it back. Srsly.

Amir0x

Banned
Also, about <ep2>
i don't remember Stannis fucking Melisandre in the books... and so, does it seem out-of-character for Stannis, considering his borderline absurd obsession with justice and honor? "The right way of things" wouldn't be cheating on his wife. Seemed a bad change...just like Littlefinger being stupid enough to openly challenge Cersei.

duckroll

Also, about <ep2>
i don't remember Stannis fucking Melisandre in the books... and so, does it seem out-of-character for Stannis, considering his borderline absurd obsession with justice and honor? "The right way of things" wouldn't be cheating on his wife. Seemed a bad change...just like Littlefinger being stupid enough to openly challenge Cersei.

There are two major original scenes in ep2 which seem to indicate the show is starting to move more rapidly into its own direction for some characterizations, rather than being completely faithful.

The Stannis/Mel scene and the Jon scene at the end are stuff which were not in the books at all, but contain elements which were suggested or hinted at in the books, yet never confirmed by any of the characters. By depicting them in this way, especially Jon seeing a baby taken by an Other... I'm not sure where they're going to go with this. But I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt first.

how do i stream or download ? :((((((

If you subscribe to HBO and live in the US you can stream it here: http://www.hbogo.com

I don't think season 2 is available on any download service like iTunes or Amazon yet.

F!ReW!Re

Also, about <ep2>

About Stannis and Melisandre, that didn't really happen in the book, or at least it's hinted at: some characters hearing rumours about Stannis, etc.

I agree though, they should've waited with that, maybe a later episode in this season, now they don't really establish him as the righteous, honorable character that has an obsession with justice

Also, about <ep2>
Series spoilers
Stannis did fuck Mel in the books, it's just never shown or outright stated. The shadow takes Stannis' appearance, and Mel insinuates to Davos that Stannis is all used up when she tries to seduce Davos. There's some hints of it in her POV in ADWD too. The son Mel talks about in that TV scene is probably the shadow baby used to kill Renly

There are two major original scenes in ep2 which seem to indicate the show is starting to move more rapidly into its own direction for some characterizations, rather than being completely faithful.

The Stannis/Mel scene and the Jon scene at the end are stuff which were not in the books at all, but contain elements which were suggested or hinted at in the books, yet never confirmed by any of the characters. By depicting them in this way, especially Jon seeing a baby taken by an Other... I'm not sure where they're going to go with this. But I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt first.
I can see why they would choose to spell out the whole other thing. Jon doesn't do a whole lot in ACOK and this adds some more tension/drama to all the Craster stuff.

Amir0x

Banned

yeah i get the same feeling as you for the most part. Only, it seemed like they started
going down the hard line honor character for Stannis, with the same poker faced dictation of his letter: "I never loved my brother." "It's merely a harmless bit of respect, my grace." "A lie. Take it out." Then they make him willing to cheat? I mean, Melisandre has hardly earned that sort of trust yet to make Stannis 'throne-at-any-cost' quality override his honor there, methinks.

Basileus777 said:
Series spoilers
Stannis did fuck Mel in the books, it's just never shown or outright stated. The shadow takes Stannis' appearance, and Mel insinuates to Davos that Stannis is all used up when she tries to seduce Davos. There's some hints of it in her POV in ADWD too. The son Mel talks about in that TV scene is probably the shadow baby used to kill Renly

I am sure you're right. It just felt wrong so early, at the very least...

duckroll

Series spoilers
Stannis did fuck Mel in the books, it's just never shown or outright stated. The shadow takes Stannis' appearance, and Mel insinuates to Davos that Stannis is all used up when she tries to seduce Davos. There's some hints of it in her POV in ADWD too. THe son Mel talks about in that scene is probably the shadow baby used to kill Renly

Yes but now the context is very different. In the books, Stannis always got the benefit of the doubt, because everything he says and does goes against him actually doing something like that. It is left up to the reader to consider whether Stannis had a lapse in judgement, or if somehow he was force into it or bound by magic to do something like that. Mel is always seen to be the dark shadow behind Stannis, while the man himself is upright and unwavering.

This scene in the show makes him look weak. And that changes his character depiction substantially. I'm not sure if I like it, but I think it also depends on how they handle Stannis for the rest of the season and beyond.

Yes but now the context is very different. In the books, Stannis always got the benefit of the doubt, because everything he says and does goes against him actually doing something like that. It is left up to the reader to consider whether Stannis had a lapse in judgement, or if somehow he was force into it or bound by magic to do something like that. Mel is always seen to be the dark shadow behind Stannis, while the man himself is upright and unwavering.

This scene in the show makes him look weak. And that changes his character depiction substantially. I'm not sure if I like it, but I think it also depends on how they handle Stannis for the rest of the season and beyond.
ACOK Spoilers
This is true. Though I'm not sure how they could have shown that scene without making Stannis look weak or hypocritical. Ignoring the potential to show sex isn't something they were going to do. Whether or not it hurts his character does depend on how they handle in the future. Though even the books Stannis looked like a dupe at times, like with his ignorance of how Renly was killed. Renly's death is also probably one of the reasons why they showed the scene, to help develop explain wtf is going on with the shadow baby later.

I am sure you're right. It just felt wrong so early, at the very least...

I agree about the timing, it would have felt less jarring if we had seen the two interact before this, or had more time to know Stannis.

duckroll

Ep2 + book spoilers:
I can see why they would choose to spell out the whole other thing. Jon doesn't do a whole lot in ACOK and this adds some more tension/drama to all the Craster stuff.

Yes, I can certainly see *why* they did it. It's just going to be interesting how it ends up playing out. They could end up making the Jon sequences more exciting as a lead up to the events of next season, or they could end up making it campier than it needs to be. Hopefully it's the former.

Clash of Kings spoilers --
Stannis and Melisandre were sharing a tent for a while...and Melisandre once remarked that she had no use for a bed when Stannis wasn't around. I just always assumed they were banging...didn't Stannis basically just hole himself up with Melisandre for a while

Lirlond

Clash of Kings spoilers --
Stannis and Melisandre were sharing a tent for a while...and Melisandre once remarked that she had no use for a bed when Stannis wasn't around. I just always assumed they were banging...didn't Stannis basically just hole himself up with Melisandre for a while

COK spoilers
He'd hole himself up whenever he needed someone killed discreetly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom