• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

AfricanKing

Loved the ep, but they robbed us of the best fight that's was about to happen...Jon Vs Night King round 2.

Arya however.. Badest Bitch On Road right now.

Grinchy

Banned
So there are 3 episodes left now, right? I'm kinda surprised they wrapped up the Night King at the halfway point. Is the battle with Cersei really supposed to be more threatening than the NK?

From a pacing standpoint, next week clearly has to go back to being a slower episode. I imagine lots of scenes of people picking themselves up, rebuilding, and talking about what's to come next. Maybe we'll get some Jon and Dany arguing over who should be in charge.

Kenpachii

Absolute fantastic episode probably my favorite so far. Dunno why the haters hate it.

Now arya arc makes sense, she's after all the most broken class in the game. Absolute fantastic how she got the kill. The dragon battles where insane, the undead where insane. And god at that opener of the fight that really made you realize how incredible big that threat is.

The only slight problem i had was that they didn't kill off enough main characters, something that kinda goes against the writers idea about lord of the rings.

But loved every single piece of it.

About the ending i know bran wouldn't die there and something was going to happen as he was way to calm and probably already saw this outcome. The question however was who was going to "rescue him" at that point.

Dat budget and dat lenght tho. Watched basically a full movie on duration but never felt boring even remotely. What a episode absolute fantastic.

Loved the ep, but they robbed us of the best fight that's was about to happen...Jon Vs Night King round 2.

Actually he had his fight and lost the same for dany, then bran basically distracted the nightking while arya killed him off at his one weak moment of no focus. Absolute fantastic.

Last edited:
yah the lighting was terrible

it made me think of old uhf/vhf signals with broken antennaes

I liked the opening and the ending, but everything else was a visual mess.

HoodWinked

Parts of the episode were good but felt like they didnt do enough to setup the tactics so it felt like a mess as you watched. Also there were several things that were revealed in the behind the episode which is supposed to be supplemental but instead things are becoming canon as Benioff and Weiss are discussing it meaning the episode couldn't stand on it's own since many details they elaborate on don't come through in the episode itself.

Also the whites are just so inconsistent they're vicious at the front line outside the walls of winterfell against the strong unsulied formations but then become slow zombie pushovers once breaching the walls. Guess the plot armor also has a +10 slow aura. Also got annoying how they kept making it seem hopeless as they cut to another character.

Also Jon trying to fight the undead dragon on foot was stupid and stupidly fitting how it would end with him screaming at it.

Kenpachii

What was especially dumb was why Jon didn't light the fire trench since he was just chilling next to Bran on his dragon during that whole sequence.
I have no problem with her doing it.

I lay in bed with my wife watching it. First I yelled at the TV because...

1. Why are you riding the Dorthraki at them. Jesus fucking wine drinking Christ, they have the knowledge that anyone who falls joins the Night King. Who the fuck thought this was gonna be a positive as they were riding towards the AotD? Show of hands?

2. Why didn't the dragons back them up or something. Only the Living were surprised at the Dorthraki quick butt fucking

I then yelled at the TV...

1. Why aren't you shooting arrows at the AotD as they stand lifeless in front of the fire trench?

2. Why Jon are you sitting on a Dragon on a wall doing nothing while the AotD stand lifeless in front of the trench. For a guy who couldn't stop saying "We don't have time" he sure picked a hell of a time to find some fucking time.

I yelled some more

1. How is the Night King a better Dragon rider than Dany?

2. How did the Living not see the corpses in the Crypt coming to life, WHEN YOU HAVE THE FUCKING KNOWLEDGE THAT THE NIGHT KING CAN RAISE THE FOOKING DEAD?

The answer to all these questions, and many more is.... Because the Plot requires it!

It was so frustrating to watch a group of people discuss the threat for over a season, gather information from places including Bran, and forget all of it between episodes 2 & 3.

giphy.mp4

They are best in charging in and riding + jumping on there enemy's. It makes no sense to keep them standing still and waiting for them to get swamped. I just assumed they wanted to push through the death to flank them from behind and get a shot at there leaders. It also makes sense if you understand how they fight which we saw multiple times. hell even hitler did this to destroy huge army's.

Blitzkrieg.gif

Then there are other factors, AA nightking that can snipe there dragons. Which means they need to keep distance for now. And AA generals that they probably with this attack wanted to take out first or create chaos to the point they can join the battlefield. It's also a good option to weed out the nightking and his dragon in order to flank him while they still have the advantage of 2 dragons. It's basically a war on two fronts.

Hell the nightking does the exactly the same two seconds later and has the upper hand simple for the fact as he now knows where the dragons are which gives him the tactical advantage but still is outnumbered and has to trick them / be careful. The storm however changed the battlefield in favor of the night king.

Honestly the fight on the battlefield made total sense and was actually very well done.

About John waiting on his dragon was probably waiting for the nightking to attack him. Better stay put then get distracted and ambushed ( which already happened before he learned from that, and something that ended the nightking as result ). He probably also had to watch out for the night king generals with AA which limits his movement.

Nightking control over the dragon being better seemed only natural to me. He can command anything that is dead in directly. Dany needs to give simple commands and the dragon probably does most of the things himself as result.

What makes you assume he could raise deaths from such distance? Also where do they hide then? on the battlefield? Also if the night king would be close at that point he could ressurect them, he would already be in the palace and everybody would have been overrunned + already added towards his army. It doesn't matter at that point anymore. Pretty much exactly what you saw in this episode. Made total sense.

The night king and his undead where a threat and they formed a massive army to counter it with magic and dragons. What more do you aspect to kill the nightking? 20k more soldiers that just turn into zombies anyway?

They set up this massive clash with weapons etc. Now was the time and that's the end of it. Now it's focusing on the fight for the throne again which was something the series was based on. As its called games of thrones.

How would you kill the nightking off then? last episode? which would be this episode just at lannister territory? With night king having 2 dragons massive army etc.

The nightking would have swarmed the entire lands with undeads and honestly it was game over at that point anyway for westeros. they had to counter him there and that's what they did. Thats also why they tried to get cercei to join them and not to fight them at the castle. Otherwise they would have laid waste towards it directly in the last season.

It was clear winterfall was going to be overrunned, it was clear nightking would swarm them no matter what. However he made a mistake and that costed him his life.

Like bran says multiple times, people have there reason to exist. Everybody plays there part. Dany played hers, arya, even bran did his part and john also.

100% on all of those. Everyone acts retarded.

Bran doesn't give them any intel on the situation or provide any clever twists through his own actions. All he does is sit there and glare, setting up Arya Ninja Leap.

He can see in the future, he knew what was going to happen. There was no point for him to change things. The nightking needed to be there and things needed to play out this way. Obviously he just sits there and watches the show and makes simple statements to not inter fear with future outcomes. He only jumps in when its needed that's his role he's a watcher.

And about the dagger stab. it's clear the sword / dagger was a big one. She could easily stab him in the heart there anyway upwards. But honestly its just as we call it here "ant fucking" trying hardest to be upset about something that practically isn't a issue.

Honestly it just feels like people here are trying there hardest to make up reasons to not like it because the big bad nightking got checkmate. Pretty much a thing that happens all day long in the series with everybody.

Last edited:

mekes

Nice episode. I’m glad it got some things ticked off of the list, would have been annoyed had it ended 4/5 through the battle. Now we can slowly wrap up the upcoming power plays. Hoping for a twisting, winding road at this point. Make me mad, bring it on (y)

Raynes

I feel bad for Miguel Sapochnik, D&D gave him this bullshit. He did the very best he could to polish this turd that was given to him. Abysmal and incoherent wrap up of the main plotline. Arya jumping out of nowhere like a little monkey and stabbing the Night King and eradicating the whole existential threat of the GOT universe is some like a parody, I didn't know whether to laugh or bang my head at the stupidity of it. It was so random and according to D&D that was intentional, because according to their brilliant minds, that's what makes a good ending. This is shameful.

Edit: Now I know what the Arya lunging out of nowhere, defying logic itself to save the day reminds me of: a Bollywood movie. They went full Bollywood on us.

Last edited:

Duallusion

This was... this was... an absolutely legendary, legendary TV episode, ladies and gentlemen.

Yeah it was tropey (zombie horde, kill the king and the rest just die, slo-mo music montages etc.), yeah the crypt was a moronic idea to everybody but them apparently, yeah I couldn't make out what was going at times (and HBO GO crappy stream quality certainly didn't help), yeah the library felt out of place, yeah Arya's kill was borderline fanfic (and yet awesome in equal measure) but there were so many cool moments to make up for all that (I loved the beginning!), it still somehow ended up being fucking awesome. EDIT: I hope I'll feel the same when it settles down in me and I start properly thinking about it. :messenger_smirking:

And the very best part? We're (hopefully?) done with the zombies now and back in the proper (end)game of thrones, baby!

Last edited:

TTOOLL

I have so many things to complain but I'm lazy to type. Damn.

Anyway, so many people should have died but somehow they survived. Simple, if you don't want to kill specific characters just don't put them in impossible situations like they were yesterday.

The NK...all underwhelming, he did nothing himself during the battle besides raising the dead (who acted in slow motion!). I have nothing against Arya doing that, but the way it was done was lazy and totally unrealistic.

Also, the episode was too dark, c'mon!

JimiNutz

Banned
This was... this was... an absolutely legendary, legendary TV episode, ladies and gentlemen.

Yeah it was tropey (zombie horde, kill the king and the rest just die, slo-mo music montages etc.), yeah the crypt was a moronic idea to everybody but them apparently, yeah I couldn't make out what was going at times (and HBO GO crappy stream quality certainly didn't help), yeah the library felt out of place, yeah Arya's kill was borderline fanfic (and yet awesome in equal measure) but there were so many cool moments to make up for all that (I loved the beginning!), it still somehow ended up being fucking awesome. EDIT: I hope I'll feel the same when it settles down in me and I start properly thinking about it. :messenger_smirking:

And the very best part? We're (hopefully?) done with the zombies now and back in the proper (end)game of thrones, baby!

The funny thing about this post is that you list loads of things that were wrong with the episode and the say "but there were so many cool moments to make up for all that" but then you don't actually list any of them :messenger_tears_of_joy:🤷‍♂️

TheUsual

Gold Member
Some real great moments in the episode and yet I felt underwhelmed as well. I get they needed to wrap up the Night King stuff and focus on the Iron Throne but after all the hype of the Army of the Dead...that's it?
But with only 3 episodes left, I get it. So did Jon's dragon die or was it injured?

I’m gonna have to disagree Kenpachii Kenpachii

I’m on Mobile right now but if will be at a desktop sometime today and if you’d like to debate in depth, I am down.

The problem with the idea is
1. The Dorthraki are incredibly out numbered. Dany estimated at least 100,000 wights.
2. They charged into the unknown
3. They were so far from the rest of their forces
4 Anyone who falls joins the Night King (this the living knows)

Assuming the Dorthraki did penetrate the Night King’s army, and did make it behind the army... with no other forces pushing the fight, getting to the rear isn’t significant.

I am not making the case that the Dorthraki
A) should have been behind walls
B) should have stayed in line with the rest of the forces

Ideally you would want the Dorthraki to hit the AotD flank once they charged, or their center charge could work but would require the distance between the 2 armies to be far less significant. Either way there would need to be a force in front to make getting behind the enemy meaningful.

Duallusion

The funny thing about this post is that you list loads of things that were wrong with the episode and the say "but there were so many cool moments to make up for all that" but then you don't actually list any of them :messenger_tears_of_joy:🤷‍♂️

Yeah, I'll probably regret that post soon enough haha. When the kid in me calms down ("Did you see dat dragon all overun with zombies taking flight?!?") and he is already calming down, the cynical/analytical me will no doubt deconstruct this episode right down to shit. :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Fuck the haters on ign

best episode ever

Arya plunging attack to Night King is the MVP moment

Now lets kill the red queen

Last edited:
I was expecting Bran to have been dead the whole time and that it was actually Arya in his chair wearing his face waiting to sneak attack the night king. It´s not Shakespeare but its something.

Fortunately the writers we got are much more clever than me, and they instead opted for an ending where the night king didn´t expect Arya to have two hands. Fantastic stuff. :messenger_neutral:

JimiNutz

Banned
Yeah, I'll probably regret that post soon enough haha. When the kid in me calms down ("Did you see dat dragon all overun with zombies taking flight?!?") and he is already calming down, the cynical/analytical me will no doubt deconstruct this episode right down to shit. :messenger_grinning_squinting:
Sorry I didn't mean to spoil your fun.
There was def some cool shit in the episode. I think all of the deaths were done well and the dragons causing chaos is always cool to see.

I thought the crypt provided one of the coolest parts, which was the NK raising the dead and the zombies breaking out...I thought that was crazy.

They should have shown a headless Ned Stark executing people.

farmerboy

Loved it.

Except for;
- episode was too dark and as such difficult to watch at times if you were streaming
- could have done with 1 or 2 more significant deaths
- a few too many "impossible" situations

Will be super pissed if Ayra somehow dies in the last 3 eps.

I thought the crypt provided one of the coolest parts, which was the NK raising the dead and the zombies breaking out...I thought that was crazy.

They should have shown a headless Ned Stark executing people.
It was cool but also a huge distraction as a viewer because as soon as they announced that the crypts would be the safest place in the previous episode, the entire fan base said “No not at all there’s about to be a bunch of zombies down there”.

The episode should have been titled The Night Of Many Bad Ideas.

Airbus Jr

Banned
There were two dragons in the preview of next week.

Nice

I assume the Dorne, Vale and Yara Greyjoy army are still intact too

Danny still have Dario merceneries in Mereen

enough manpower to defeat the Golden Company

Im more worried about Cersei balista threat

They should ve take that out first before letting the dragon enters the batlefield

Last edited:
Well, given all the fan-service we've seen, I'm feeling pretty confident we'll get Clegane-Bowl, and probably Jaime killing Cersei...so he can be known also as Queenslayer.

Catphish

I'm still processing everything, so I'm withholding final judgment, but one thing that I'm thinking of...

The fifth grader slew the giant, which was pretty cool in its own right but, if I'm not mistaken, weren't there two or three more of them in the AotD?

I thought I remember a scene not long ago where they marched in formation with the rest of the army.

20cent

Banned
Why did the Night King mark Bran? Why did he want to kill him? What was the big deal about Bran becoming the 3 eyed Raven? All that was just a destiny BS setup that lead to the Arya ninja kill?

I'm fine with the episode up to that moment.
I'm a fool, I was expecting some NK revelations, or even seeing him start talking... Nah... Getting my interest up again for some petty throne arguments is going to be tough.

That's how the show should (have) end(ed):

wvt66z80vtu21.jpg

Last edited:
Why did the Night King mark Bran? Why did he want to kill him? What was the big deal about Bran becoming the 3 eyed Raven? All that was just a destiny BS setup that lead to the Arya ninja kill?

I'm a fool, I was expecting some NK revelations, or even seeing him start talking... Nah... Getting my interest up again for some petty throne arguments is going to be tough.

wvt66z80vtu21.jpg
pretty sure most of that cast will be dead by the end of episode 6 anyway.....kings landing has a shitload of that keg explosive shit still ...i predict thanos like wipeout

pretty sure most of that cast will be dead by the end of episode 6 anyway.....kings landing has a shitload of that keg explosive shit still ...i predict thanos like wipeout
that shits definitely getting put in catapults and attached to the ballista bolts

Its very possible jaime goes back to fight for the lannisters now that the dead are dealt with. cersei prob kills him.

does it feel like the lannisters have zero main characters to fight with? The Mountain. Euron. Bron. That random new general they intro'd in eps 1.

man im going to be so disappointed with this entire season arent I?

Last edited:

bigedole

I'm starting to feel skeptical that D&D are going to do this story justice. It's clear to me from last night that they are absolutely not willing to take risks. I no longer believe most of the cast is in danger of dying before the end of the show, and I'm honestly starting to feel my interest greatly diminished in how this ends. I'm feeling like we're not going to get the real ending until the books are done, and that's a really demoralizing thought.

There was a moment where I thought “oh shit is she gonna use ‘faceless magic’ to disguise herself as the undead?”

I don’t know if that’s even possible, I don’t quite understand how that all works, but I thought it could have provided a cool scene

I remember when I first binge watched GoT before season 7 to get caught up, the first thing I said in this little GroupMe chat I used to be part of is “man I hope Arya ends up kicking ass.” It took a long time but that finally paid off, starting with avenging the Red Wedding

Cleared_Hot

So there are 3 episodes left now, right? I'm kinda surprised they wrapped up the Night King at the halfway point. Is the battle with Cersei really supposed to be more threatening than the NK?

From a pacing standpoint, next week clearly has to go back to being a slower episode. I imagine lots of scenes of people picking themselves up, rebuilding, and talking about what's to come next. Maybe we'll get some Jon and Dany arguing over who should be in charge.

Well after watching the extras, it listed specific individuals of the crew and the episodes they worked on, and multiple were listed as working on 3 & 5 which might indicate they were the key players for filming high action/episodes with big battles. Ep 4 should be the epic build up to the next big battles in episode four.

Hey do we know if there is only one dragon left or did the other survive? That being said if there is only one it is innevitable that the giant dragon crossbow weapon will take it out

Last edited:

dorkimoe

wvt66z80vtu21.jpg
Wow this is amazing looking

this guy says everything I wanted to.

He says "they killed the night king in 1 episode". What do you want them to do? Stab him in 1 episode and have him bleed out in the next? They fought him a few times. That statement doesnt make any sense

Last edited:
I simply cannot fucking believe that the heroes had a fort with a fortified trench and a moat of fire and archers and flaming arrows and fire breathing dragons and catapults against a force with 0 military strategy or siege equipment, yet they chose to deploy their entire army outside of the fort and charge the enemy. Eat my ass and shit that is so fucking stupid.

Cleared_Hot

It really shows how shit streaming can be for most still. An action heavy episode entirely set in a dark night and snow makes the pixelation and compression stand out, it got bad even on my cable. I'm sure it'll look far better on 4k bluray.
Same dude. I have a 75 in Q8F... stream Quality was not good.

dorkimoe

I will only agree with people who want to see an anti hollywood ending; but that wasnt the end. We have 3 more episodes. I do hope more main chracters die and more shocking twists, but that battle was great.

Quite underwhelming, huh?

The tactics really didn't make any sense. They should've just kept blasting the enemy with their ranged weapons until they got too close, then retreat to within the walls. Then blast the zombies with dragon fire. They should've stayed close to the fort to defend it and minimize the amount of casualties that will just join the orde anyway. When the zombie dragon comes team up on it with two of your dragons by breathing fire on it. Done.

Like, how can you look at a scene where the dragon queen literally just sits on her dragon amidst hundreds of potential zombies to watch Jon walk into the castle? Then she's surprised when zombies climb up the dragon? What? She didn't even carry a little glass dagger or anything to defend herself with either. I know you have dragons but... Come on!

It's a bit too convenient that 90% of the main characters survived, and that's pretty much everyone that survived from what I saw. The rest is dead. Then for the next episode they apparently have some sort of army still? The heck?

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion

I am torn on that first part to be honest. On the one hand you have Jon who has shown himself to be a prodigious talent with a sword and you have seen him fighting the fight against the Night King since the beginning. So naturally it would make since for it to come down to him 1v1-ing the Night King even if it would have been a bit cliche.

BUT

Arya coming out of nowhere with the save was so fucking hype and unexpected. I did not see it coming at all. I audibly gasped when she showed up in the frame.

Also even IF Jon had 1v1'd a giant zombie dragon somehow he would have ended up in the godswood all alone surrounded by hundreds of zombies and White Walkers and the Night King himself. I mean Jon is a fantastic fighter and he has thick Valyrian Steel plot armor, but even he would have been fucking slaughtered. So in reality Arya was the only one who could have done it.

Iced Arcade

this guy says everything I wanted to.

some things I agree BUT I don't get his issue with Arya not being heard and able to sneak up. a whole chunk of the series was her training to be an unheard/unseen silent assassin. even in this episode they showed her blood drops were louder than her own movements.

Last edited:
I loved the episode. To make a fight scene last that long and keep me interested is impressive. The change in pacing and scenery from outside the castle walls, to inside the walls, to inside the castle, and lastly the crypt. Loved it. But..

-They did the Dothraki dirty. These amazing warriors are the first to go and quickly. Yet every other army is able to stand their ground relative to the Dothraki accomplishment. That irks me. Maybe its better explained in the books (how strong Dothraki are). Only read the first, but after I finish the darkness that comes before I'll start the second.

-Whats the point of the night king? The night king winning makes more sense as I can't recall learning anything about it or it's kind. Unless there's a bigger baddie, I don't understand why this battle took place because most of the main characters survived. To show Daenerys army is crippled before taking on cersei? Seems lame.

Those aside I really did enjoy it. I like how they portrayed the roles of Sansa and Arya. To see Sansa so weak and Arya strong is one of my favorite character developments.

I felt, given how the episode played out, that
Winterfell should have fallen. Majority of the main cast killed, and Bran fleeing/or relaying a message to cersei should have happened. I just expected more with the night king. Would have liked more episodes with it

Dlacy13g

So the episode writing was great... loved the progression of the battle and thought they made some great choices for how it all went down. HOWEVER the choices for how they filmed this, in particular the overly dark first 2/3 of the episode was horrible. For all those defending "it was mood and tension" I call BS... this was a move to save budget and not have to show as much special effects on screen. They could have easily used the darkness at the start with the Dothraki charge and then from their lightened all of the filming moving forward but they chose to keep everything dark and ultimately it hurt the episode more than it helped.

Top Bottom