• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

Wow, solid episode

Some basic thoughts (I don’t know what spoiler etiquette is for an episode that just aired, I’lol be cautious just in case)

The second half mostly caught me off guard. Very interesting.

I’m a little confused by Jaime’s intent now, is he actually trying to go back to Cersei?

It feels like Cersei has the upper hand now big time, overall. I’m as unsure as ever now about how I think this is gonna end. I don’t see how they can storm King’s Landing at this point. I know I said that last week too

Good stuff, some solid moments. Feel bad for my boy Gendry. Love hurts, my dude

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Brienne the Beauty with all those suitors...

No hug or Good Boy treat for Ghost? WTF Jon.

Overall the Long Night epilogue seemed ludicrous. Roughly a hundred people were visible on those funeral pyres (D&D describe them as "thousands" in the Behind the Episode and talk up how huge and impactful the cost was, of course...), and no one seems particularly shook by their ultimate battle with death incarnate. So be it.

That action shot between Euron and Dany was only missing anime speed lines for full cheese effect. Anti-climactic scene overall and should've been Rhaegal dying in the Long Night over this route. More Rian Johnson subversion of expectations writing, and playing up the threat Team Cersei poses beyond what the Night King did. To be expected with the narrative choices they made, but still silly.

How does anyone on Team Dany know that Missandei is alive and captured rather than MIA and presumed dead in the battle? How did Euron's men know that Missandei was a VIP and to capture her? Only the handful of people who were at the Wight Summit would have a shot of recognizing her. More unearned, cheap storytelling that cuts straight to the emotionally resonant moment.

Sure, whatever. Battle of the Bitches, commence.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Oh yeah, Bronn. So, what the hell leverage does Bronn have in that scene? He leaves the room and Tyrion and Jaime should immediately the guards and have him captured. D&D must be setting up some "clever" callback moment that audiences are supposed to forget about by episode six.

I didn't get that either! It's not like he is going to have a crossbow pointed at them at all times. What's to stop them from just having him killed??

For the plot

Lots of bland talking scenes. Then they are suddenly on boats. Then they are ambushed. Then they are in Kings Landing a few minutes later. It all happened super quick.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Battle of the Bitches, commence.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

The Missandei thing it's weird, but I guess we are supposed to accept that Cersei & Qyburn are spying on them (Cersei comes to say that in one of the first episodes).

Varys is going to betray Dany and she is going to burn him alive.

TTOOLL

What a mess lol

Bron survived because...
They hid the ships behind the rocks and caught the dragon anyway lmao...
Then they missed when Drogon was right in front of them...

The last two episodes must be one of the biggest let downs of all time. I'm in just for the lulz

Arkage

Banned
Jon walking away from Ghost without any closure is par for the course for their CG budget. Horrible.

Jaime and Breinne was weird to me. I'm glad Jaime reminded her and the audience at the end that he doesn't deserve the character redemption that others got. It was one of the most honest parts of that episode for me.

At this point if Danny goes crazy mad queen I place the blame entirely on Tyrion for being a completely incompetent hand after arriving in the 7 kingdoms.

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
Do we think Jaime is going back to help Cersi? I think he's saying that "Cersi is hateful and so is he", he now hates Cersi and is on his way to kill her?

Man this was a good one. I’m rewatching the last half now. Like I said before, caught me off guard (in a good way).

I just feel like Cersei is unbeatable. She has the fortification and even (if not superior) manpower.

Really curious to see what happens. I better not fucking die before this shit ends

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
This was the worst episode of the season IMO. They took 7.3 seasons of character development and destroyed it all in one episode. Everyone is going back to how they were many episodes ago. It just makes no sense.

All for convenience to set up the plot, but it doesn't make sense in context to the plot. There was so much wrong in this episode, I could go on for an hour.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Never mind Tyrion, Dany and her honor guard approached far too closely to the wall filled with archers and scorpions. Cersei had every reason to open fire on all of them, especially after Rhaegal was taken down trivially at sea. The Unsullied have little ability to counter-attack the wall defenses and the scorpions have a fair shot against Drogon, especially without a rider.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Never mind Tyrion, Dany and her honor guard approached far too closely to the wall filled with archers and scorpions. Cersei had every reason to open fire on all of them, especially after Rhaegal was taken down trivially at sea. The Unsullied have little ability to counter-attack the wall defenses and the scorpions have a fair shot against Drogon, especially without a rider.

But then the show would have ended in 4 episodes! They need to drag it out for 2 more, so screw logic.

Btw this is the second time Drogon was a sitting duck on the ground with a chance for the main baddie to end it right then and there, and neither pulled the trigger. Night King and now Cersei.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
HfI4L1n.jpg

:messenger_expressionless::messenger_expressionless::messenger_expressionless::messenger_expressionless::messenger_expressionless:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
"He belongs up north with you"

Really? Could've came up with a better reason to get rid of him than that, it made no sense. He belongs with the Wildlings? Ok.....

Arkage

Banned
Is Bran going to be relevant at some point?

Show is almost over and he is still there, throwing one liners with his autistic pose.

He is completely irrelevant beyond being a plot device to get the dagger to Arya. Another character that is totally butchered from the transition from book to show.

*Best boi literally hurt, ear torn off, looking you for affection or any sign of humanity or connection to his human pack*

*Glance at him then ride off*

:messenger_ok:

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Oh yeah, Bronn. So, what the hell leverage does Bronn have in that scene? He leaves the room and Tyrion and Jaime should immediately call the guards and have him captured. D&D must be setting up some "clever" callback moment that audiences are supposed to forget about by episode six.

Yep funniest moment this episode

They should ve called the guards and hang Bron right there

Also RIP Rhaegal and Missandei

Died because of Danny stuborness and stupidity

Last edited:

Papa

Banned
Fuckin big yikes @ Brienne and Jaime. Give me a break. Spoiler alert: outside of the feminist fantasy world, the homely girl doesn’t get the prom king. Lyanna Mormont was a little eyeroll-worthy but Brienne and Jaime is next-level retarded.

JimiNutz

Banned
I think Jon is dying next episode.
He said a lot of goodbyes in this episode and he remains the stupidest (most 'pure'?) character on the show.

Danareys is going Mad Queen and Jon will die... Or maybe he will kill Danareys and Jaime will kill Cersi? Will the Battle of the Bitches end due to assassination caused by their previous relatives/lovers?

Jon Neu

Banned
"He belongs up north with you"

Really? Could've came up with a better reason to get rid of him than that, it made no sense. He belongs with the Wildlings? Ok.....

The wolfs and the wargs are supposed to have this strong connection, but somehow Jon doesn't give a crap about Ghost.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
OK, what the fuck was that shit.

Man this was a good one.
I just feel like Cersei is unbeatable.
She shouldn't be. Her being the last boss doesn't make any narrative sense, or follow the logic of the universe. That's why I can't get behind this episode. OK, there was drama and tension and whatever but it didn't make any sense.

This was the worst episode of the season IMO. They took 7.3 seasons of character development and destroyed it all in one episode. Everyone is going back to how they were many episodes ago. It just makes no sense.
The outright throwing away of character arcs, and people acting selfish and arseholy for no reason but to gin up drama was pretty stupid. This was supposed to be a story about something bigger than stupid political squabbles. Gah.

Never mind Tyrion, Dany and her honor guard approached far too closely to the wall filled with archers and scorpions. Cersei had every reason to open fire on all of them, especially after Rhaegal was taken down trivially at sea.
Seriously. There were a dozen ballistae on the tops of the wall. They could have wasted everyone easily.

Woo-Fu

Banned
Well, good to see those ballista they talked about ages ago finally got put to use. Element of surprise is gone now, though. Be a night attack with overcast sky next time, won't see anything until the entire wall is dracarys. Bad news is: another dark episode, hahahahaha.

This energy vampire stuff is easy

Last edited:

Arkage

Banned
Fuckin big yikes @ Brienne and Jaime. Give me a break. Spoiler alert: outside of the feminist fantasy world, the homely girl doesn’t get the prom king. Lyanna Mormont was a little eyeroll-worthy but Brienne and Jaime is next-level retarded.

Isn't there a single thread safe from your obsessions over politics? Christ.

Jon Neu

Banned
Well, good to see those ballista they talked about ages ago finally got put to use. Element of surprise is gone now, though. Be a night attack with overcast sky next time, won't see anything until the entire wall is dracarys. Bad news is: another dark episode, hahahahaha.

This energy vampire stuff is easy

We saw the dragon flying over King's Landing in the House of the undying.

Dany is going to burn King's Landing to the ground and I'm going to cheer every fucking second of it.

BURN THEM ALL!

Manus

My favorite episode this season. Music is the standout this season, it's just been so good. My sub woofer has been shaking my house, love it.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I thought part of her character development was choosing family over revenge. In season 7 she did just that. She rode home at the crossroads instead of south. Now she's back on the revenge thing again.

And she did

Jon is marching towards KL

No way shes gona leaves her brothers alone, her assasination skills will be important

Sansa stays because she cant fight

Last edited:

bigedole

I'm not sure how to feel about this episode yet. I felt like Rhaegal died too easily and am annoyed that they could somehow land 3 perfect shots on him without being detected at all yet miss Drogon with 20 shots. That said, I actually enjoyed most of the dialogue and interractions. I think when the show focuses on the characters and their motives, it's good. But when the show tries to move the plot forward through events, the writers just get extremely lazy. I do have hope that after this episode, the show won't end with a Jon and Dany ruling together boringly at least and I'm eager to see what goes down next week.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
When Tyrion approached the wall my first gut reaction was that she was gonna do it. She was gonna have him killed. I was on edge of my seat there
That would have been more realistic and entertaining than what we got.
I thought this as well.
I thought she would behead M and then kill Tyrion as well. I'm guessing she wants to take him alive.
I mean....like...why DOESN'T she? She hired Bronn to do just that. If she murders Tyrion herself, she doesn't have to pay Bronn. Plus, shouldn't the fact that Tryion is still alive tip off Cersei that Bronn either failed or is possibly going to betray her? And what the fuck was that meeting with Bronn and Jamie and Tyrion anyway? Where the hell is Bronn hiding out, and how does he even expect to see his stupid plan through?

Anyone else notice how wrong the viewers were in regards to how much of Dany’s forces were left.

Half of the Unsullied and still Dorthraki left. Sure didn’t seem that way last episode 🤷‍♂️

Top Bottom