• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

This show sure turned dogshit. There's no suspense when everyone in it is acting like a retard.

Every one shagging eachother after shovelling mountains of corpses into fire pits was both tone-deaf and Mass Effect Citadel levels of fan service. Pathetic.

Creepily reminiscing about rape with Sansa and the Hound. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I'm well aware of her development as a character you mongoloid writers.

As for Daenarys... She's always been a psychotic, vicious little cunt. Remember season 1 when Khal Drogo was yelling about how he's gonna massacre westerosi, burn them in their stone houses and rape peasants with his horde whilst she stands there dripping wet? She's the only one acting IN character anymore.

All Respect goes to the Actors who need to work with this schlock. And the set and prop designers for working wonders as usual.

autoduelist

Yep. I came here just to post about this complete fucking nonsense. They butchered Jamie's character so badly. "Addicted" to Cersie, lmao after all that "development". Everything becomes pointless. Even if he does kill her for reasons, d&d just revealed the original mindset he had to go back after all he's been through. And if d&d are somehow "tricking" us, and Jamie purely wants to go back to kill Cersie, that's still stupid, Daenerys and Jon are already taking care of that.

Jamie is a perfect example of what is wrong. Really, any character. But with Jaime we see this huge character development and progression. Like, massive, perhaps more than any character except perhaps Tyrion. And then the writers finally get their fanfic scene with Brienne, and then instantly seem to just throw out the last 8 seasons of progression to instantly revert him back to evil. Now, sure, we dont know his exact plan. Maybe he'll go kill Cersei. But that's not how the scene was set up or presented.... it just felt disrespectful to his arc. I guess arguably the lobotomy they gave Tyrion and the neutering of Jon were worse.

autoduelist

I wrote a considered response to your low effort drive-by and the best you can do fixate on my sense of humour. :pie_eyeroll:

You've personally insulted me in both of your posts to me, in fact, it was the very first thing you did in both posts. My 'low effort post' laid out an entire alternate battle. You're not funny, you're a bully who attacks and insults anyone who doesnt like their favorite show.

Last edited:
So what exactly is Varys implying? I’m not sure quite catch his drift. Is he straight up telling Tyrion he’s gonna betray Dany? Tyrion legit says “Please don’t” as if Varys was gonna kill Dany in her sleep or something

I’m mixed on Jaime running back to Cersei. Seems like a wild change of heart after he already had one by going north to begin with.

To me it would have been believable if Jon had just kept the secret to himself out of love for Dany. I don’t fully buy that the two can’t co-exist happily.

This season hasn’t been quite what I expected thus far. There’s both good and bad in that.

Two more to to and I don’t have a solid prediction of what we are gonna get. I guess that’s a good thing.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I think I just inadvertently had The ending of Game of Thrones spoiled for me and While I will not discuss anything I saw here, does anyone know if there have been any confirmed leaks cause I'm really hoping what I saw is wrong, not because of my opinion of what happens I just didnt want to know, I still want to be surprised.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I’m mixed on Jaime running back to Cersei. Seems like a wild change of heart after he already had one by going north to begin with.

He mad it clear he only left her because survival trumps loyalty. Now that Survival has been achieved. He is going back to Cersie. They have been together literally since birth he was never going to fully betray her and going North he was protecting her too.

pr0cs

Jamie is a perfect example of what is wrong. Really, any character. But with Jaime we see this huge character development and progression.
There are no shortage of fuckups in regards to character progression in the show vs the books but yea Jaimie is really high up on that list.
He just feels fucking random at this point. It would have felt better if he stated to Brienne that he needed to go try and pursade or even stop his sister but instead they played that he's going back for romantic /intimate reasons.. Crazy.

What saddens me the most is that this terrible version of the story will likely be the only real ending to the story we get, grrm will never finish it now

There are no shortage of fuckups in regards to character progression in the show vs the books but yea Jaimie is really high up on that list.
He just feels fucking random at this point. It would have felt better if he stated to Brienne that he needed to go try and pursade or even stop his sister but instead they played that he's going back for romantic /intimate reasons.. Crazy.

What saddens me the most is that this terrible version of the story will likely be the only real ending to the story we get, grrm will never finish it now

Well, perhaps in some fucked up way, Jaime is feeling guilt for having slept with someone other than Cersei. I don't recall from the show or the books if Jaime was the type to sleep around with others. If that was the reason, then the show writers did an awful job of conveying it.

pr0cs

Well, perhaps in some fucked up way, Jaime is feeling guilt for having slept with someone other than Cersei. I don't recall from the show or the books if Jaime was the type to sleep around with others. If that was the reason, then the show writers did an awful job of conveying it.
Evilor posted a snippet from the book earlier in the thread that explains Jamie's mentality, the show version isn't consistent at all. It's a mess really.

RedVIper

Banned
So what exactly is Varys implying? I’m not sure quite catch his drift. Is he straight up telling Tyrion he’s gonna betray Dany? Tyrion legit says “Please don’t” as if Varys was gonna kill Dany in her sleep or something

Varys could leak the information that Jon is a targaryen ending any claim danny has for the throne.

Raynes

Jamie is a perfect example of what is wrong. Really, any character. But with Jaime we see this huge character development and progression. Like, massive, perhaps more than any character except perhaps Tyrion. And then the writers finally get their fanfic scene with Brienne, and then instantly seem to just throw out the last 8 seasons of progression to instantly revert him back to evil. Now, sure, we dont know his exact plan. Maybe he'll go kill Cersei. But that's not how the scene was set up or presented.... it just felt disrespectful to his arc. I guess arguably the lobotomy they gave Tyrion and the neutering of Jon were worse.

Even if he does kill Cersie, that doesn't it improve it one bit. So his final act of redemption is emotionally killing the one person he was supposed to let go of? How does that make any sense? Really, now? 8 seasons of radical development for that?

Geki-D

Banned
When the dirty dozen went north of the wall only Jorah, Beric, Thoros & Jon had wight killing weapons. You'd have thought they might have been all: -

tenor.gif

to Tormund, the Hound & Gendry when picking up their BS ineffective weapons before heading off no?
-Half of them had Wight killing weapons
-They intended to attack a small group, grab a Wight and get out
-All of them armed with weapons that could kill wights would harm that plan
-They never intended to get jumped by the whole army and be surrounded
-The Dothraki's goal was to charge into the whole army and fight them all to the death

These situations are nothing alike and I've already pointed this out before the first time you tried this false equivalency.

Woo-Fu

Banned
People are making an awful lot of assumptions about why Jamie is going to Kings Landing.

Jamie finally has a conscience, finally takes responsibility for his actions. A lot of what Cersei has become is on him, he bears a responsibility to do something about it instead of spending his time climbing mountains in the North.

You have to remember, hanging out in WInterfell getting laid is how all this mess started. If he simply repeated that bit of history he wouldn't have changed much.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Do I? I guess you know more about me than I do.

Well presumably you didn't just come to 'Reee!!' about the episode, versus elicit some form of response? At least with most of the others in this thread, there's the application of criticism versus outright 'lulz that was bad'? If, say I wrote a spirited defence of the episode at length for instance? What's the likely payoff? An engaging response or simple derision on your part? Personally, I don't think it really means much of anything on an internet forum of all places to simply say whether something was good or bad, but to elaborate as to why said something is good or bad. Therein at least a discussion is to be had even if parties might disagree. Discussion of the last episode ranged far and wide, and albeit it got heated in places it was pretty engaging.

You've personally insulted me in both of your posts to me.

Personally insulted? Get a grip.

You're not funny, you're an autistic bully who attacks and insults anyone who doesnt like their favorite show.

Firstly not my favourite show (In recent years that honour would go to The Leftovers, though of current shows in production I'm rather partial to HBOs Succession which is an absolute delight), Secondly I'm not here to be funny, I'm here to actually discuss the show. As for being an autistic bully? Absolutely 100% on the money. I'm the meanest meanie that ever lived. 10 points for Gryffindor!

Now do you want to discuss the ins and outs of this episode or do you want to tell me just how awful I am again? I'm all ears on that.

I think its more that Varys is having doubts as to Danys mental stability now that she's finally in Westeros she's not acclimating well to the different cultural mindset and its a point of concern for him. It's important to remember that Varys is one of the few characters that knew the Mad King and his inaction during those dark times weighs heavily on him.

I'm not surprised at him leaving, however, I do feel that this is one of these turns that probably would have benefitted from there being a couple more episodes to the season. Having the romance between him and Brienne come to a head in the episode and then for him to leave towards the end just feels too swift. I'd say the same goes for the Gendry/Arya situation also. Gendrys declaration of love over what was a romance born out of a few intense days, really felt awkward, to say the least.

To me it would have been believable if Jon had just kept the secret to himself out of love for Dany. I don’t fully buy that the two can’t co-exist happily.

It's a nice idea, but I don't think it was ever going to happen due to Dany's complete obsession with the Iron Throne, to the exclusion of all other matters. Like for instance where she shut Sansa down for suggesting that they rest the troops and recover their strength versus marching them on Kings Landing. Her hunger for the throne is overthrowing reason.

This season hasn’t been quite what I expected thus far. There’s both good and bad in that.

Agreed., I don't think it's quite lived up to the promise of those early seasons, but in large part, I think a lot of that comes down to the writers having to no actual book material to pull from for the last couple of seasons, just GRRMs detailed outline to work from (which was never a position they envisaged they'd be in given he had 6 years to get the books out) and that's meant that they've had basically create the seasons from whole cloth and there's a limit to what they can achieve with that. Personally, I think they'd have been better off extending the show by another season and slowing the pace of events down so it would be more in keeping with the earlier seasons, but I think that would place a heavy burden on the writers to keep the storyline engaging with meaningful character interactions whilst also progressing events. I could easily see that if they'd elected to go down that route people would equally be complaining at them for dragging the show out. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

-Half of them had Wight killing weapons

Dude, they bum-rushed the final Wight. There's no reason for everyone not to take a Wight killing weapon just on the basis of things going tits up (as they eventually did). Always be prepared.

Last edited:
Well presumably you didn't just come to 'Reee!!' about the episode, versus elicit some form of response?
I just wanted to share my opinion. I was not asking for any kind of response.

How the hell did Dany NOT see Euron's ships being hundreds of feet in the air? La dee da Dee da, enjoying my flight.....Oh shitfuck?! 30 ships just decloaked and took out my dragon.
Everyone's a ninja now, even a fleet of ships. A bloke with a loaded crossbow can just walk in on the Queen's advisor to murder him and no one cares. On the other hand they were able to capture some lady from a sinking ship and everyone somehow knows this happened and who this person is. Then she's put on a high tower with the queen right by her side. The prisonder could've just pulled on her arm and Cersei would have fallen to her death, but instead she just stood there and waited for her head to get chopped off. Nothing makes any sense anymore.

Raynes

How the hell did Dany NOT see Euron's ships being hundreds of feet in the air? La dee da Dee da, enjoying my flight.....Oh shitfuck?! 30 ships just decloaked and took out my dragon.

The same way the Dothraki are magically still around after last week where D&D said they witnessed the end of them. Convinience. Whatever D&D need to be true at the time to move the plot towards their poor vision becomes true, plot, character development, prophecy, forshadowing and even logic be damned.

Teletraan1

Banned
To those saying that the writing has become predictable can you please lay out how this all ends?

Maybe I don't care enough about entertainment as much as some but movie and TV threads are the only threads that still feel like pre October 2017 or a resetera thread. Hostility at peak levels. I am struggling to remember a single TV series that the fanbase or at least the people discussing it on the internet didn't turn on by the end of its run.

manfestival

People are making an awful lot of assumptions about why Jamie is going to Kings Landing.

Jamie finally has a conscience, finally takes responsibility for his actions. A lot of what Cersei has become is on him, he bears a responsibility to do something about it instead of spending his time climbing mountains in the North.

You have to remember, hanging out in WInterfell getting laid is how all this mess started. If he simply repeated that bit of history he wouldn't have changed much.
OOOOO does this mean that the Kingslayer will also become the Queenslayer?? HMMMMM
*goes back* *sees her with Euron* *rages and kills cersei*
That might actually be a tasty plot twist

Last edited:

Geki-D

Banned
Dude, they bum-rushed the final Wight. There's no reason for everyone not to take a Wight killing weapon just on the basis of things going tits up (as they eventually did).
If I recall they hadn't started to forge dragonglass weapons at that point. So maybe they just didn't have any other wight killing weapons. Though honestly I don't want to be put into a position where I have to defend that episode. I'm not going to hold it up as an example of anything because it also suffers from plot armor, god awful writing and utter stupidity from the characters. Though yet again, this is all irrelevant to the point at hand because the situations are nothing alike.

Always be prepared.
Except for when you're charging head first into the undead army, I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Either way, I can't watch Ep4 right away so I'm going to have to bail from this thread for the time being to evade spoilers.

Kadayi

Banned
I just wanted to share my opinion. I was not asking for any kind of response.

Well, you're in the great game now. Spill those beans of insight and wisdom.

Maybe I don't care enough about entertainment as much as some but movie and TV threads are the only threads that still feel like pre October 2017 or a resetera thread. Hostility at peak levels. I am struggling to remember a single TV series that the fanbase or at least the people discussing it on the internet didn't turn on by the end of its run.

GOT is a series that is one rife for speculation and that interest predates the show with the long-running book series. You have years and years of fan theories from the well rounded to the utterly fantastical feverish all coming to a head in terms of the rubber meeting the road, and invariably a lot of people are going to have a hard time accepting that matters don't play out as they may have theorised. Regardless of the show's conclusion, it invariably going to be divisive.

Ulysses 31 Ulysses 31 you're not supposed to be posting anything to do with script leaks at all. in the thread. I get the desire, but invariably someones going to end getting spoiled. Maybe start a separate thread for it?

Anyway lone wolf and Hound reunited: -

cc0839aa50488004443aaf5a436124c6.jpg

That's the GOT spin-off we really need. Murderizing all and sundry until they've eaten every last chicken in the land.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Wouldn't Jon/Dany be using Bran to find out what Cersei's and Golden Company's battle strategy is if he can see everything that's already occurred?

Albeit Bran has some degree of greenlight, it's not clear that he can control it. It's more a case of him occasionally having visions.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
“The scales of a full-grown dragon were harder than steel, and even those arrows that struck home seldom penetrated enough to do more than enrage the great beasts. But as Meraxes banked above the Hellholt, a defender atop the castle’s highest tower triggered a scorpion, and a yard-long iron bolt caught the queen’s dragon in the right eye. Meraxes did not die at once, but came crashing to earth in mortal agony, destroying the tower and a large section of the Hellholt’s curtain wall in her death throes.”
― George R.R. Martin, Fire & Blood

Fox Mulder

It's stupifying how bad, and yet how much support it's getting..

It been on for years and people that loved it went deep into it. There isn't anything like it on tv and not everyone reads the books. The ending being shit will drag the show's legacy down though.

I was holding out but this episode was bad. The big battle last week was still a neat spectacle for TV, but all the retarded strategies and dumb shit going on to rush to the finish is disappointing.

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Of all the scenes in the episode, the Bronn one was the worst. So this guy waltz in winterfell and all the way to the room where the hand of the queen and his brother are, while armed, gives them a warning and then fucks off? Are you fucking kidding me? That was beyond stupid. We are teleporting in rooms now?

Keylime

Spoiler Tag Abuser
I'll just throw in a casual reminder here that this isn't the thread to discuss potential future episode spoilers. This thread is open season UP TO the current episode, but if you have potential spoilers you've found and want to discuss, you should make a new thread aggressively labeled with SPOILERS in it so people know what to dodge.

I'm thankful to the people who posted some content above as to not giving anything away, but please refrain from that kind of stuff in this particular thread.

Kadayi

Banned
Of all the scenes in the episode, the Bronn one was the worst. So this guy waltz in winterfell and all the way to the room where the hand of the queen and his brother are, while armed, gives them a warning and then fucks off? Are you fucking kidding me? That was beyond stupid. We are teleporting in rooms now?

They're not actually in Winterfell. They're in an Inn a nearby village (Winterfell is in the distance). Watch it again.

Last edited:

Javthusiast

Banned
Cersei send Bronn to kill both her brothers. Tyrion stands right in front of her, she is going to provoke Danny anyway by killing Missandei, but plot armor bitch, so she spares Tyrion?

Fk this season. It is beyond stupid now and I do not care anymore. Had zero emotional reaction to the dragon and Missandei dying and at this point won‘t care for any of the main characters either.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Cersei send Bronn to kill both her brothers. Tyrion stands right in front of her, she is going to provoke Danny anyway by killing Missandei, but plot armor bitch, so she spares Tyrion?

Fk this season. It is beyond stupid now and I do not care anymore. Had zero emotional reaction to the dragon and Missandei dying and at this point won‘t care for any of the main characters either.

But youl be back here next week after next episode though so no wories 😆

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Sansa is putting in motion a rebellion against Dany in favour of Jon as the King.

She is being loyal to her family.

Dany hasn’t done anything bad yet. There is no reason for the animosity. Suddenly there’s this narrative that Dany is this terrible person, I don’t get where it’s coming from. The show is hinting she’s headed in that direction, but she hasn’t yet. She sacrificed a lot including two dragons and didn’t have to fight in Jon’s war, but she did. Sansa has no cause to dislike her and plan a rebellion at this point where things stand.

gioGAF

What a shit show :messenger_poop:

Night King is gone.
Captain Hook and Maleficent are truly the final bosses.
Maleficent builds 6,000 homing harpoons and zero peeps from Jaime or Varys.
Daenerys can't see an entire fleet hiding behind a rock from the sky.
Stealth armada doesn't guard the shore or occupy Dragon Stone prior to arrival of the blind.
Forced mad queen narrative ACTIVATED!
Daenerys submits herself to another stupid encounter with Maleficent.
Daenerys shows up with 24 Unsullied and Maleficent somehow decides not to finish her.
Missandei fails at swimming AND ducking.

Such a disaster, every single fan theory I had heard for this final season is better than what has transpired. This is Arya vs. Waif 2.0. I am actively thinking about what are the dumbest things that can happen because I know they will probably end up in the show (basically exactly the same thing I started doing half way through The Last Jedi and it worked).

So lets see, guessing Jon kills Mad Daenerys and Drogon to boot ¡for the REALM!

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
They're not actually in Winterfell. They're in an Inn a nearby village (Winterfell is in the distance). Watch it again.

Hmm...makes it slightly better but still seems very stupid to me. This teleporting stuff never sat well with me and now we are just teleporting everywhere within seconds

OOOOO does this mean that the Kingslayer will also become the Queenslayer?? HMMMMM
*goes back* *sees her with Euron* *rages and kills cersei*
That might actually be a tasty plot twist

This is partly why I thought Cersei was gonna have Tyrion arrow’s to shit when he approached the wall. I thought maybe Jaime, upon seeing his dead brother, would finally get that last push to end Cersei’s reign himself, at an obvious great personal cost.

With Tyrion alive I have no idea what to expect from the three Lannister’s in the last two episodes

RedVIper

Banned
Dany hasn’t done anything bad yet. There is no reason for the animosity. Suddenly there’s this narrative that Dany is this terrible person, I don’t get where it’s coming from. The show is hinting she’s headed in that direction, but she hasn’t yet. She sacrificed a lot including two dragons and didn’t have to fight in Jon’s war, but she did. Sansa has no cause to dislike her and plan a rebellion at this point where things stand.

No but people have been afraid of her doing stupid bad since the start of the show. I think it makes sense because of her family.
Sansa has a lot of reasons to dislike her, the North has been trying to gain independence and yet there she comes, someone else who wants to rull over them.

https://www.express.co.uk/entertain...ding-books-change-differences-Iron-Throne-die

Martin revealed one of his greatest frustrations: "You get totally extraneous things like the studio or the network weighing in, and they have some particular thing that has nothing to do with story, but relates to 'Well this character has a very high Q Rating so let's give him a lot more stuff to do.'"
The author had previously said he would have liked the show to run across more series, to give all his complex storylines room. Instead, the HBO team entirely removed some characters or reassigned storylines.

Martin said: “The series has been... not completely faithful. Otherwise, it would have to run another five seasons.”

Martin discussed the main points of the ending with HBO many years ago and everyone on both sides has said these will remain in place, but the author admits there will stll be some variations: "On certain secondary characters there may be big differences.”
He also admits this primarily due to the increasingly overdue final two books in the series: "Some of the deviation, of course, is because I’ve been so slow with these books. I really should’ve finished this thing four years ago — and if I had, maybe it would be telling a different story here."

Top Bottom