• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

Filth

If this series had any balls left, Tyrion wouldn't survive this exchange.

she sends out a hitman for him, he literally walks right up to her with 30 archers pointed at him and she doesnt kill him... Bron has befriended bother Jaime and Tyrion and i can underdstand he doesnt want to fight anymore but he walks in and looks like he has a vendetta. To me this scene felt off also.

Duallusion

In fact, most of them wouldn't survive that exchange if Cercei was still Cercei, but that would be akin to wiping the whole chessboard in one stroke so I can at least understand why they couldn't do that.

It would be glorious though: Tyrion, Gray Worm, Unsulied, Missandre: all dead and Dany barely escaping with her heavily injured last remaining dragon.

JimiNutz

Banned
They were really heavy with their Mad Queen hints this episode. My gf went so far as to suggest that Danareys blue eyes actually had a glint of red in them when they did the close up of her angry/bitch face? I didn't see it but agree that they certainly heavily hinted that she is in evil/bitch mode now.

Will Jon die for mad Daresay because of his oath or will he see the error of his ways and Queen slayer her in the back once he realises she's a crazy blood thirsty Which?

Jon Neu

Banned
Theres been ongoing war between tv show and book readers for awhile here ever since the movie passed the book

its nothing new

That's just not true.

What happened is simply that the show has become really dumb after season 6 and the quality has taken a huge hit.

Still enjoyable, but it's not the smart show that was once.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Don't understand all the bitching about Jaime taking off to Cersei. He ain't going there to romance her.
I only heard snippets of the behind the scenes talk, but didn't D&D say that Jamie left because he was still addicted to Cersei or something like that?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
And I still don't understand why Sansa thinks she's justified in being such a bitch to Dany. She just saved your damn lives!

Airbus Jr

Banned
That's just not true.

What happened is simply that the show has become really dumb after season 6 and the quality has taken a huge hit.

Still enjoyable, but it's not the smart show that was once.

I get it, you get it, and i think everyone heres get the message

We understand that the quality has been nosedived after the show passed the book since couple years ago

Im just really tired and bored at this point at people constantly complaining over and over again for the same thing constantly when new episode hits up

Last edited:

Raynes

I only heard snippets of the behind the scenes talk, but didn't D&D say that Jamie left because he was still addicted to Cersei or something like that?

Yep. I came here just to post about this complete fucking nonsense. They butchered Jamie's character so badly. "Addicted" to Cersie, lmao after all that "development". Everything becomes pointless. Even if he does kill her for reasons, d&d just revealed the original mindset he had to go back after all he's been through. And if d&d are somehow "tricking" us, and Jamie purely wants to go back to kill Cersie, that's still stupid, Daenerys and Jon are already taking care of that.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
I thought this was a good battle analysis.

These are all good batle analysis

To prepare more fortifications and trapping devices/mechanism in the castle to halt the undead certaintly helpfull

but the writer forgot one important thing

Time for preparations

By the time Tormund meet Jon he said that the undead will arived tomorow before sunrise

They dont have enough time to prepare all that otherwise well be seeing more of those contraptions outside and inside the castle

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned

This is nonsense.
I guess Brienne doesn't have a nice enough pussy, Jaime is addicted to that golden lion/sister pussy.

I genuinely thought he was on his way back to kill her having seen the error of his ways.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
It's definitely not writing itself for GRRM either.

It's a dip in quality for sure, and it's massively rushed. But I kind of feel bad for the showrunners. I think they planned to have books to adapt all along and got screwed.

Actually GRRM had the ending done pretty much since 20 years ago, the problem is that he is a "gardener"; he writes stuff and likes to see where that goes, but he keeps adding stuff and more stuff and then you have to reconect all this characters and plots at the same location in a cohesive and meaningful manner. I think is what happens before the end what keeps him occupied, not the actual end.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
but the writer forgot one important thing

Time

By the time Toemund meet Jon he said that the undead will areived tomorow before sunrise
He mentioned time being of the essence in his analysis.

When Tormund told Jon that the dead will arrive before sunrise tomorrow, they didn't start their preparation then. They had already been doing that, forging thousands of obsidian blades, and arrowheads, and those spikey barriers.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
And if d&d are somehow "tricking" us, and Jamie purely wants to go back to kill Cersie, that's still stupid, Daenerys and Jon are already taking care of that.

Not to mention that they could have 2 other people take care of it as well. OP ninja assassin Arya could infiltrate the Red Keep no problem with an assist with "I can see everything" OP Bran.

Speaking of Bran, why don't they use his ability to gather intel more? Or, at fucking all? It would have been pretty helpful to keep tabs on Euron's fleet with a squadron of warged crows.

Airbus Jr

Banned
He mentioned time being of the essence in his analysis.

When Tormund told Jon that the dead will arrive before sunrise tomorrow, they didn't start their preparation then. They had already been doing that, forging thousands of obsidian blades, and arrowheads, and those spikey barriers.

Ok i understand

Anyway winterfell war is over now

What i dont understand is....why does nobody in Winterfell ever think of utilizing Arya abilities?

I bet if someone like Litlefinger is still around or hes in charge..he wont even bother to march south..

Bet if he still alive and knew he had something like arya the faceless assasin at his disposal...he will just sent Arya( since Cersei is on Arya list anyway) to kill Cersei and Euron...and perhaps capture Jamie Lannister as leverage just in cases she fails her mission

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
What they did with the wolves is a fucking shame. They were supposed to be important with all their symbolism, the bond between them and the wargs, the powers...

At least show how Jon hugs Ghost and gives him their last goodbye. Don't fucking spend all the CGI budget in dragons, zombie bears and whatever.

This is probably the thing that makes me more angry of the entire episode.

cormack12

Gold Member
'Game of Thrones' Left a Starbucks Coffee Cup in a Scene and It's Hilarious

GoT_Starbucks_gqkjji.jpg

Dacon

Banned

I feel like this covers most of my misgivings with the battle at winterfell, sorry if it's been posted before.

I liked that episode. It feels like GoT is getting back into personalities and politics.
It was sad seeing that dragon get harpooned. I dont like seeing animals suffer in any type of media really. I guess its necessary for story purposes though :(
I thought Missandei was "just" gonna get pushed off the top of the castle at the end, then for a second I thought Cersei might spare her afters Tyrions heartfelt speech, then the Mountain stepped forward and cut her fucking head off. lol

Kenpachii

I thought this was a good battle analysis.

Interesting take sadly i disagree with his assesment. This is all based on the defense of the castle. It was clear to me they where going to push through to get the nightking out of his back line in order to kill him off. The charge was the reason for it. They probably never aspect ed to get pushed into a defense solution which resulted in them being unprepared to defend. That's also why they put there sieges infront of the castle. They never aspected to lose there lines as they where the aggressor really.

Because if they did aspect it, they would have been doomed anyway as the nightking would just sit in the backline waiting until he could snipe another dragon. He would rule the entire battlefield. They had to play aggressive.

But... Jon literally mentioned the Iron Fleet in the War Room like 5 minutes before she buggered off??

What happened to this show, man.

She stated we can't wait. they will get stronger the time passes they have to go now.

That was her reasoning.

She had 2 dragons to defend and kill the enemy fleet if it was needed which ended up backfiring.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Instead of the Rhaegal scene and the invisible Euron ships, I would have made Rhaegal die in the battle of Winterfell and then I would have made Euron be at the beach with a giant horn next to him waiting for the Dany's float. Everybody would be shocked to see him there all alone, and then he would blow the horn and the sound would make everybody cover their ears in pain. Then they would ask themselves what the hell is he doing and I would let the scene play for a minute without nothing happening, just the sound of the calm sea and some minor dialogue here and there.

And then, Krakens would arise to the surface and sink the Dany's ships.

Last edited:

Raynes

So, the Dothraki are apparantly still alive. Varys "if we attack King's Landing with Drogon and the Unsullied and the Dothraki". Hahahahhaa what the fuck. Next episode Rhaegal will randomly be alive.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Are narrative beats the new subverting expectations? Find out inside.

Did you get lost on the way to the Politics-Sub there Faceless Man? :unsure:

Bitching about the tactics is pretty much a case of missing the point of the episode both within itself and within the broader structure of the Story narrative. The Night King getting defeated in the field whether the Dothraki came at his from the left/right or up his arse doesn't matter a jot, same with having the Artillery inside the walls or a hundred fire trenches dug because that was never going to happen. The nature of the story dictates that the Night Kings force prevail in the battle and breach Winterfell, and he gets to confront Bran in the Godswood before he is laid low by Arya. It was necessary for the Battle to inflict a heavy toll on the defenders because that then has a marked impact on Danys pursuit of the Iron Throne given she is ever more reliant on the support of Jon in order to defeat Cersei, and she becomes more prone to lose it and reign hellfire down on Kings Landing, especially now she's lost both Jorah & Missandei from her retinue of advisers and is losing faith in Tyrion.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
I mean, I reached a point in which I can tolerate the show becoming incredibly dumb, filled with scenes that literally make no sense at all and make the characters look like they are mentally handicapped. I reached a point in which I'm okay with dumb shocking scenes and I even enjoy them, you just have to turn your brain off and enjoy this amazingly produced fantasy show.

But what they have made with Ghost is something I will never forget, much less forgive.

D53so2KW4AA5ZnS.jpg

How dare you, D&D. How fucking dare you.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
Season 2 had budget for dire wolves, somehow they can't have a goodbye scene with 100million now? Ffs.

I agree it sucked, but at the same time, we've never really seen the wolves act like dogs save when they were using actually dogs way back when.

100 Million sure sounds like a lot but bear in mind that the logistics of production on the show are absolutely enormous, given all the locations and extras, plus all the principals are on top wack since they would have renegotiated their original contracts after season 5. and some of them are on a cool half a million per episode Link. Cue no doubt much wailing and gnashing of teeth over their salaries, but when you're on the biggest show on Television and for some, what will probably be the high point of their acting careers, making like a bandit makes a lot of sense. The show is a game of thrones, not a boy and his wolf.

Last edited:

RedVIper

Banned
I agree it sucked, but at the same time, we've never really seen the wolves act like dogs save when they were using actually dogs way back when.

100 Million sure sounds like a lot but bear in mind that the logistics of production on the show are absolutely enormous, given all the locations and extras, plus all the principals are on top wack since they would have renegotiated their original contracts after season 5. and some of them are on a cool half a million per episode Link.

My point is that the budget is way bigger than before, how expensive would a 5sec scene be? Wtv

Somehow only half their soldiers died in 8.3, the dothraki are somehow not extinct.

Also I'm pretty sure this episode spanned over several months, don't think this was very clear.

Wtv, watch the autist boy end up on the throne.

"Dany kinda forgot about the iron fleet and Euron´s forces."

That´s the direct quote from David Benioff.

She forgot.

:messenger_ok:

She could have scouted ahead and seen the enemy fleet from a hundred miles away at that height. Lazy show is being lazy. Also no wooden device can muster that much power when firing projectiles. Physics are certainly different in this universe. Those arrows pack a greater range and punch than artillery shells.

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned
My point is that the budget is way bigger than before, how expensive would a 5sec scene be? Wtv

Expensive. That 100 million budget has to pay for around 7 hours and 20 minutes of high-end TV show production. From Actor Salaries, Extras, Direction, Editing. Hair, Makeup and Costumes, Stunt work & CGI plus location, transportation & accommodation and innumerable other overheads.

There's an interesting piece here about the Battle for Winterfell and the likely cost of that episode alone from a production perspective Link

To give some sort of comparison take say Guardians of the Galaxy (Link.) That cost $170 to million to make, but it's only 2 hours long.

Jon Neu

Banned
Expensive. That 100 million budget has to pay for around 7 hours and 20 minutes of high-end TV show production. From Actor Salaries, Extras, Direction, Editing. Hair, Makeup and Costumes, Stunt work & CGI plus location, transportation & accommodation and innumerable other overheads.

There's an interesting piece here about the Battle for Winterfell and the likely cost of that episode alone from a production perspective Link

To give some sort of comparison take say Guardians of the Galaxy (Link.) That cost $170 to million to make, but it's only 2 hours long.

They could have easily made Rhaegal die in Winterfell instead of making him die by Euron and spend that money on Ghost.

But this are the writers that prefered to have a zombie bear over Ghost in season 7.

RedVIper

Banned

It's 5 secs mate, have one less scene with dragons and you could have jon playing fetch with ghost.

They just blow away the budget for no reason (polar bears) and then can't show things that actually matter.

bigedole

"Dany kinda forgot about the iron fleet and Euron´s forces."

This has to be fake. Euron did this exact same shit to them in season 7 that cost them half their fleet or whatever. There's no way they can suggest with a straight face that Dany's forces wouldn't be aware of him.

Kadayi

Banned
It's 5 secs mate, have one less scene with dragons and you could have jon playing fetch with ghost.

They just blow away the budget for no reason (polar bears) and then can't show things that actually matter.

The bear was in the last season. Different budget.

They could have easily made Rhaegal die in Winterfell instead of making him die by Euron and spend that money on Ghost.

What's more important for the story here? Jon playing catch with Ghost for 5 seconds, or Dany losing a Dragon to Cersei directly as a means to tip her over the edge enough that she's probably going to burn down Kings Landing in the next episode. :unsure:

Kenpachii

Ok i understand

Anyway winterfell war is over now

What i dont understand is....why does nobody in Winterfell ever think of utilizing Arya abilities?

I bet if someone like Litlefinger is still around or hes in charge..he wont even bother to march south..

Bet if he still alive and knew he had something like arya the faceless assasin at his disposal...he will just sent Arya( since Cersei is on Arya list anyway) to kill Cersei and Euron...and perhaps capture Jamie Lannister as leverage just in cases she fails her mission

Faceless men what arya is called, are the most ridiculous overpowered characters in this series. Far more stronger then anybody else, they are the ultimate cheat code assassins that you honestly can't do anything about. This is also why arya probably got the nightking kill. She's the ultimate weapon. She could crawl into a city and kill anybody she wants too and that's exactly what she did before moving to the north.

Little finger was also seen to be paying before his execution some chick with a coin which could very well be a faceless men and got killed instead of him or he could even be a faceless men himself as he was seen in the area where faceless men got there temple as a hooker said in some early episode.

The thing is there are a lot of cop outs and a lot of things that can happen. John can sit on the throne at the end of the series and the guy next towards him could be little finger that stabs him and takes his skin to throw the might over towards what he wants.

Faceless men are the ultimate rulers players in this game.

Top Bottom