• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones Season 8 |OT| A Song of Icy and Fiery Fandom

bitbydeath

I didn’t mind that episode. Sure Cersei had a perfect opportunity to wipe out Dany and co but at least they built up a bit more tension inside Winterfell and the last few episodes weren’t all just hand holding as they go after Cersei.

Last edited:

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
https://ew.com/tv/2019/04/28/game-thrones-maisie-williams-winterfell-battle/

The twist is a monumental success for her character, and entirely unexpected. It was so unexpected, however, Williams initially worried fans wouldn’t like it.

“It was so unbelievably exciting,” she says. “But I immediately thought that everybody would hate it; that Arya doesn’t deserve it. The hardest thing is in any series is when you build up a villain that’s so impossible to defeat and then you defeat them. It has to be intelligently done because otherwise people are like, ‘Well, [the villain] couldn’t have been that bad when some 100-pound girl comes in and stabs him.’ You gotta make it cool. And then I told my boyfriend and he was like, ‘Mmm, should be Jon though really, shouldn’t it?’”

For Miguel Sapochnik, the director’s goal was to get fans utterly convinced Jon was going to kill the Night King, and then pull out the rug. “I thought, ‘Hmm, if I see Arya running then I know she’s going to do something.’” Sapochnik says. “So it’s about almost losing her from the story and then have her come in as a surprise and pinning all our hopes on Jon being the guy going to do it — because Jon’s always the guy. So we follow Jon in a continuous shot I want the audience to think: ‘Jon’s gonna do it, Jon’s gonna do it…’ and then he fails. He fails at the very last minute. So I’m hoping that’s a nice switch that no one sees coming. “

sol_bad

I only read the last page, not enough time at work to read all of the previous 10 pages.

I was enjoying the episode up until the part where the dragon was shot out of the sky. I was quite pissed off when this happened.. God damn any is flying around like she is on holidays when she should have been running recon. Why the fuck was she not running recon, she has the absolute best field of view.

And then when the dragon was shot down, why didn't she fly behind the ships and burn them. From what I could see, all the ships had their harpoons at the front so they couldn't attack the rear, they'd ruin their sails.

So frustrating. What battle plan experts are the writers talking to? Are they getting any advice at all!?

I feel no emotions for the characters now because of how stupid this season has been. I only felt some emotion in the scene between Jon and Sam. The fact that Gilly is pregnant made me a bit happier that Sam survived the big battle. It's still bullshit plot armour that he survived the battle but I'm happy he survived none the less.

oagboghi2

They're doing just fine with viewers.
I never said they were doing poorly with viewers.

I'm fascinated to see how they this story that they didn't start. GRRM has guided them through their best moments, and as we can see they are now diverging wildly into their own direction. This is their Titanic.

So what exactly is Varys implying? I’m not sure quite catch his drift. Is he straight up telling Tyrion he’s gonna betray Dany? Tyrion legit says “Please don’t” as if Varys was gonna kill Dany in her sleep or something

I’m mixed on Jaime running back to Cersei. Seems like a wild change of heart after he already had one by going north to begin with.

To me it would have been believable if Jon had just kept the secret to himself out of love for Dany. I don’t fully buy that the two can’t co-exist happily.

This season hasn’t been quite what I expected thus far. There’s both good and bad in that.

Two more to to and I don’t have a solid prediction of what we are gonna get. I guess that’s a good thing.

Varys is a master schemer. Chances are whatever he was going to do to replace Danny with Snow he has already done and there is nothing anybody can do to stop it. Which is why Tyrion pleads with him to call it off. Tyrion knows Varys is already way ahead of him in this regard.

Jamie knows kings landing will burn and ran off in some misguided attempt to save his degenerate incest child which cersei carries in her belly. It's apparent now Cersei gets bunned and fires up the belly stove in order to control Jamie, her pathetically degenerate brother. She's controlling her pirate ally with the baby too. She has 0 concern for anyone but herself. the loss of her kids before to her at least simply meant the loss of her bloodline/legacy. Her sadness was not for them.

While the standard is obviously down and we can now tell the writers are sourcing their own assholes for direction and content, some highlights of the latest episodes were;

-Jamie ditching Brianne for his incest baby and his sickly label as sister fucker. I could feel Briannes heart break when she saw that jamie would rather choose being a monster than being with her.

-Tyrion pleading with Cersei near the wall. He got to her emotionally, but her madness won out.

yeah that's about it...i got little else.

Last edited:

Silent Duck

They're working towards the series conclusion using the detailed outline that GRRM gave them.

tumblr_mgxr40UJUb1rq41c0o1_250.gif
Spoilers be damned! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

RedVIper

Banned
So can someone on team danny explain why they don't like the mad danny plot. I think it's great.

I agree that the execution in the show is ass, but if this was the end of her arc in the books i'd be perfectly happy.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell

They have tried so hard this season to subvert expectations that it feels they lost all vision of logic and reason. So many things this season scream of them sitting in the writer's room and someone standing up going "Hey, what if we do ___ instead??? That'll throw the audience a curve ball no one will see coming!" Even if it makes no sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if Podrick kills The Mountain at this point considering The Hound is too obvious based on their writing.

oagboghi2

So can someone on team danny explain why they don't like the mad danny plot. I think it's great.

I agree that the execution in the show is ass, but if this was the end of her arc in the books i'd be perfectly happy.
I don't have a problem with her madness per se. I think it's smart. It's what pushing her there that is strange. She seems to be making poor decision, one after another, to force her into a certain point. It comes off less as naivete and more as the writers trying to get around problems they created.

Her losing her 2nd dragon is a good example of that.

They have tried so hard this season to subvert expectations that it feels they lost all vision of logic and reason. So many things this season scream of them sitting in the writer's room and someone standing up going "Hey, what if we do ___ instead??? That'll throw the audience a curve ball no one will see coming!" Even if it makes no sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if Podrick kills The Mountain at this point considering The Hound is too obvious based on their writing.

It'll be even more unexpected if Bran wargs into Mountain and crushes Qyburn's head, breaks Cersi's body like a twig and then performs Seppuku.

RedVIper

Banned
I don't have a problem with her madness per se. I think it's smart. It's what pushing her there that is strange. She seems to be making poor decision, one after another, to force her into a certain point. It comes off less as naivete and more as the writers trying to get around problems they created.

Her losing her 2nd dragon is a good example of that.

Well yeah I agree that the execution is ass.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Why aren't we getting a whole season of winter? It's the second coming of the long night. I want to see King's Landing covered in snow, and everyone freezing to death. I want to see an ice bridge open up to Pyke. I want to see Dorne losing their shit because it's actually cold there for once.
To expand on this slightly further....during Dany's parley with Cersei, why isn't it snowing in King's Landing? Why does it look like it's summer in Qarth? When Jamie left KL at the end of season 7, there was snow falling.

Meh.

Airbus Jr

Banned
I don't know if this has been posted yet(contain spoilers), but Buzzfeed had to throw in the SJW stuff:

D58W4xwUUAA-0Uu

Stop giving attention these priveleged snowflakes

Because this is what they wanted from you

The more anoyed you are the happier they get

Just ignored them...just like what tywin lannister said

a lion doesnt care or bothered with what a goat think

Last edited:

llien

So, my humble impressions:

1. Major problem I had with the last episode, was showing us "overrun by zombie, a couple of survivors", but then there apparently were massive armies still fighting the undead. And in this episode we figure about half of the army survived. Fine by me, but why couldn't you show it like that in the previous episode? Just to let Necromancer walk into the castle? Meh.
  2. Have no issues with Dany Torukmaktoing right into enemy, the only sniper who could harm drakes is dead, Targarians came into power using a handful of drakes. The existenc (invention?) of dragon slaying catapults is puzzling.
  3. Anti dragon defenses being able to pierce ships is bad enough, but after that devastating encounter with the horny guy, half of the fleet survived? How? Weak script just to have that execution scene, apparently. Meh.
  4. Dany staying well within range if not for normal archers, certainly for crossbows let alone catapults, yet Cersei not using the chance? Mm.
  5. That crossbow dude episode. "Don't kill us and we'll make you superrich motherfucker... we promise" working in a world of intrigues and betrayal, wow.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Very importnt question here

If its true that Cersei son is proven to be another incest and ilegitimate to rule

could it be...

Brienne become pregnant from her relationship with Jimy Lanister and her son can contest Cerseis heir crown and become the trueborn Lannister?

Last edited:

mortal

Banned
The 2nd dragon dying made no sense. She's flying on a dragon and has the ultimate vantage point. How the fuck does she not see an entire fleet and get caught off guard? Huh?

How the fuck did they find Missandei in all that chaos. How would they know to even capture her? Her death was cheap and unearned.

Last edited:

Jon Neu

Banned
Very importnt question here

If its true that Cersei son is proven to be another incest and ilegitimate to rule

could it be...

Brienne become pregnant from her relationship with Jimy Lanister and her son can contest Cerseis heir crown and become the trueborn Lannister?

That's so stupid and cringey it falls entirely on D&D writing standards.

What I want to know is who left and left the writers to their own devices this season? There is some Ruin Johnson level of idiocy going on this season.

When they laid their plans to sail to Dragon Stone I fucking KNEW Euron is going to fuck them over again. How many times must this happen before the writers realise they wrote these people as grand strategists for 7 seasons but are all of a sudden incompetent.

Also why didn't Cersei not just kill Danny and het 10 unsullied with the anti-dragon bows? She has done much worse, why stop now?

Last edited:

ruvikx

Banned
I only read the last page, not enough time at work to read all of the previous 10 pages.

I was enjoying the episode up until the part where the dragon was shot out of the sky. I was quite pissed off when this happened.. God damn any is flying around like she is on holidays when she should have been running recon. Why the fuck was she not running recon, she has the absolute best field of view.

Game of Thrones was always like that, but people chose to ignore it because their favorite characters had their badass moments & their fans still hoped they'd win in the end (aka missing the whole point of "monarchy = bad", FYI). For example (one among many) when Stannis took ships up to the wall (from Dragonstone...) & defeated Mance, then gave the ships to Jon & decided to march on foot to Winterfell with his army through the snow (when he could have bypassed the north again using his ships...), it required total suspension of disbelief. Why attack Winterfell from the north when he had the ships to take him south again? Or when a literal drunken fool managed to sneak Sansa out of King's Landing after Joffrey's assassination, despite the fact the city's gates were closed & the whole place was searching for them. So I guess Dany is just as dumb as the Gold Cloaks & Stannis. As for that particular scene with Daenerys & her dragons, she's overly confident & becoming convinced she's the smartest person in the room. Hubris killed her Dragon, basically. You can either roll with that, or not.

In terms of people missing the point of the actual series (aka divine messianic rule by a ruthless king or queen is inherently wrong), I present CNN, aka a network which apparently believes a wannabe Tyrant (for 8 seasons) is morally righteous just because she's a woman: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/06/...ds-jon-snow-credit-opinion-mantoan/index.html

For six seasons, "Game of Thrones" cultivated fans' admiration for Daenerys Targaryen, the Mother of Dragons and Breaker of Chains -- and for six seasons, kept her far away from the Iron Throne she sought to claim. Once Daenerys landed in Westeros and launched her military campaign, however, the show began to frame her ambition as evidence of her unfitness to rule.
The wildly popular show has started covering its frontrunner female candidate in much the same way that Hillary Clinton was treated during the 2016 election, relitigating her worst mistakes, overlooking her accomplishments, and suggesting that perhaps we've always been wrong to like her.

Last edited:
Despite the obvious flaws, I liked this episode.
Never thought we'd have so much talking this season, considering there were only 6 episodes. 4 down, 2 to go, and blockbuster action only in 1? Not too bad...

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
Dany sucks so bad, her jealousy of John, inability to share the throne, and complete idiocy when it comes to combat planning is about to get what's left of her army wrecked. Which is fine because John is the only one that deserves the throne.

Reactions: 888
In terms of people missing the point of the actual series (aka divine messianic rule by a ruthless king or queen is inherently wrong), I present CNN, aka a network which apparently believes a wannabe Tyrant (for 8 seasons) is morally righteous just because she's a woman: https://edition.cnn.com/2019/05/06/...ds-jon-snow-credit-opinion-mantoan/index.html
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Clinton News Network still at it.

Dany sucks so bad, her jealousy of John, inability to share the throne, and complete idiocy when it comes to combat planning is about to get what's left of her army wrecked. Which is fine because John is the only one that deserves the throne.

She was a douchebag from day 1 just like her crazy brother. On the upside her little fanclub are going to generate so much salt this season when she ends up cast aside like the crazed tyrant she always has been.

Last edited:

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Clinton News Network still at it.

She was a douchebag from day 1 just like her crazy brother. On the upside her little fanclub are going to generate so much salt this season when she ends up cast aside like the crazed tyrant she always has been.
I don't know which fanclub is more annoying. Dany fans, or book fans that are going through the 7 stages of grief while they watch GRRM's outline play out. "B..bb.bb....bbbbut it will be different in the books." HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Starfield

Two episodes left. I hope that episode 5 will end the war of all wars and episode 6 will be our "final answers" episode where every shit that didn't get explained yet will be explained. I mean, this can't be it with the 3ER and NK? and Bran, and so on...this can't be it...

BlueAlpaca

I never thought they'd hit the writing lows of season 7 again but ep4 makes it clear a goat could make it as a Hollywood writer.

autoduelist

Two episodes left. I hope that episode 5 will end the war of all wars and episode 6 will be our "final answers" episode where every shit that didn't get explained yet will be explained. I mean, this can't be it with the 3ER and NK? and Bran, and so on...this can't be it...

Episode 5 will subvert our expectations by having the Hound fail to kill The Mountain, because Arya does instead. Then, instead of killing Cersei, Arya forgives her. After a large offscreen battle, Danny wins and is going to execute Cersei, but Cersei points out she's a strong female lead and that it's actually jaime and qyburns fault. They are executed in her stead, alongside Tyrion and Jon, who is a threat to the throne. Jon thanks Danny for executing him, and tells her in a heartfelt scene how much he loves her. A newly formed council of arya, Cersei, dany, sansa, and brienne rule westoros.

Episode 6 will be fanfiction sex scenes of any character combinations already missed, like grey worm and Cersei, the pirate and the onion knight, and bran and sansa.

Fbh

That was Ok, about in line with the writing of these past 2 seasons.
Still:
- Half the armies survived? really? where? how?
- That was it for the Bronn story line?.... right?:messenger_neutral:
- As others have said, both not spotting the enemy ships and not using the dragons to scout after their past experiences at sea seems dumb,
- The ballista seems OP as fuck, it does massive damage, is super accurate, seems to be able to recharge in seconds, easily takes down a dragon and apparently has been mass produced. How is anyone supposed to fight against that without some deus ex machina crappy writing? Guess we'll find out next week, their original plan of cutting off the city seems like the only viable and believable strategy but I doubt they'll go for it.
- The Cersei that for 8 seasons has been showed to be willing to betray, kill and even commit mass murder didn't even try to end the war when Dany and her small group went to see her ALONE?
- I like the "mad Dany" storyline. She has always been unlikable and it seems like a natural way for her story to end. But based on what they have showed I don't buy Tyrion and Varys now suddenly talking about betrayal, she is still acting the exact same way she has acted for several season and suddenly now they see it as an issue? Make her go mad or evil but at least show some of that before her closest advisors start plotting to leave her.

Episode 5 will subvert our expectations by having the Hound fail to kill The Mountain, because Arya does instead. Then, instead of killing Cersei, Arya forgives her. After a large offscreen battle, Danny wins and is going to execute Cersei, but Cersei points out she's a strong female lead and that it's actually jaime and qyburns fault. They are executed in her stead, alongside Tyrion and Jon, who is a threat to the throne. Jon thanks Danny for executing him, and tells her in a heartfelt scene how much he loves her. A newly formed council of arya, Cersei, dany, sansa, and brienne rule westoros.

Episode 6 will be fanfiction sex scenes of any character combinations already missed, like grey worm and Cersei, the pirate and the onion knight, and bran and sansa.
av8D3ZX_460swp.webp

Last edited:

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
why didn't she fly behind the ships and burn them. From what I could see, all the ships had their harpoons at the front so they couldn't attack the rear, they'd ruin their sails.

That'll be in the next episode I reckon.

Top Bottom