• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Alyssa Rosenberg's review: ‘Game of Thrones’ Rises To Greatness In Its Third Season *spoileriffic*

I think the show will definitely be in the 5's this season, but Sunday's episode goes up against the season finale of The Walking Dead and is on Easter Sunday, so Sunday's initial views might not be much more than the season 2 finale.
I agree with both points. The show has a ton of momentum and will likely perform very well this season, but airing against TWD & the holiday might reduce the initial viewership this Sunday. I expect HBO will be trumpeting the total views over multiple airings along with HBO Go / On Demand numbers rather than the raw 9pm premiere airing number. The former will be more impressive than the latter.

3N16MA

Banned
[ASOS]
When words gets out about the Red Wedding I think this series may hit a level beyond True blood. The death of two main characters in one devastating episode is going to be crazy for a drama series.

Dany

Banned
[ASOS]
When words gets out about the Red Wedding I think this series may hit a level beyond True blood. The death of two main characters in one devastating episode is going to be crazy for a drama series.

Season 3 premiere 4.5 million
Season 3 finale over 6 million.

Season 3 premiere 4.5 million
Season 3 finale over 6 million.

Those are pretty good guesses, I'd put mine in that ballpark.

-----------------------

Eighth episode is titled "Second Sons", so the episode information for the season is complete. This of course can be found in the OP:

301: Valar Dohaeris (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Dan Minahan)
302: Dark Wings, Dark Words (Written by Vanessa Taylor, Directed by Dan Minahan)
303: Walk of Punishment (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss)
304: And Now His Watch is Ended (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Alex Graves)
305: Kissed by Fire (Written by Bryan Cogman, Directed by Alex Graves)
306: The Climb (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Alik Sakharov)
307: The Bear and the Maiden Fair (Written by George R.R. Martin, Directed by Michelle MacLaren)
308: Second Sons (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Michelle MacLaren)
309: The Rains of Castamere (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Nutter)
310: Mhysa (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Nutter)

Subitai

David Benioff & D.B. Weiss are already preparing themselves for the moment when they catch up to GRRM. I'm already looking forward to the filler season where Ros is one of the key characters.
Oh dear. GRRM, stop slacking. Idk though, if the next 2 books are also split into 2 seasons too, he has until early 2018 to get B&W the story of book 6. That seems like enough time to me.

Those are pretty good guesses, I'd put mine in that ballpark.

-----------------------

Eighth episode is titled "Second Sons", so are episode information for the season is complete. This of course can be found in the OP:

301: Valar Dohaeris (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Dan Minahan)
302: Dark Wings, Dark Words (Written by Vanessa Taylor, Directed by Dan Minahan)
303: Walk of Punishment (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss)
304: And Now His Watch is Ended (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Alex Graves)
305: Kissed by Fire (Written by Bryan Cogman, Directed by Alex Graves)
306: The Climb (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Alik Sakharov)
307: The Bear and the Maiden Fair (Written by George R.R. Martin, Directed by Michelle MacLaren)
308: Second Sons (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by Michelle MacLaren)
309: The Rains of Castamere (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Nutter)
310: Mhysa (Written by David Benioff & D.B. Weiss, Directed by David Nutter)

Sometimes I really question the title choices. (Series minor spoiler)
What point is having Valar Dohaeris as a title now? At the same point, why did they have "The North Remembers" as the premiere of S2? Both of those would have way more impact in their original places as they were in the book.

Trasher

Oh dear. GRRM, stop slacking. Idk though, if the next 2 books are also split into 2 seasons too, he has until early 2018 to get B&W the story of book 6. That seems like enough time to me.
If each of those books get two seasons, people will not be happy. There aren't enough big events or story progression to merit four seasons between the two books. GRRM needs to get going!

Randdalf

What point is having Valar Dohaeris as a title now? At the same point, why did they have "The North Remembers" as the premiere of S2? Both of those would have way more impact in their original places as they were in the book.

The last episode of the last season was Valar Morghulis... so the next episode is Valar Dohaeris.

Ithil

Assuming TWOW gets two seasons, that's only two more years after that to do ADOS. He really needs to have TWOW out by 2015, really, if he wants to finish before the show catches up.

It would be a complete mess if it had to just approximate rough ideas from ADOS while it's still being written.

Dysun

Walk of Punishment as well. I dont really think it matters, they will still have the same meaning when a character says them.

Subitai

Assuming TWOW gets two seasons, that's only two more years after that to do ADOS. He really needs to have TWOW out by 2015, really, if he wants to finish before the show catches up.

It would be a complete mess if it had to just approximate rough ideas from ADOS while it's still being written.

If each of those books get two seasons, people will not be happy. There aren't enough big events or story progression to merit four seasons between the two books. GRRM needs to get going!
Well, I'll take your words for it then guys. We're doomed to the show going in a different direction because kids growing and stuff so needed layoff impossible.

Minor spoilers it says...

I don't consider that minor.
Yeah that review was pretty spoiler ridden.

Light Series
Valar Dohaeris is the title because it plays off the last one. The North Remembers was an excellent title for the first episode of season 2 even given its impactful use later. As someone that really likes episode titles of shows for some reason, I don't think it's a big deal

Clipjoint

To be honest, I wouldn't be too upset if HBO cancelled the show after the 4th season. It would be absolutely idiotic if they try to move on with the story before GRRM is done writing it.

The story really becomes too difficult to film starting with the 4th book, so just cancel the show, wait until he's done with the books, and then maybe reboot the series 10 years from now. AFFC and ADWD work as books, but I can't see how they would work as part of a tv series. We need to see the endgame before any of it makes sense.

To be honest, I wouldn't be too upset if HBO cancelled the show after the 4th season. It would be absolutely idiotic if they try to move on with the story before GRRM is done writing it.

The story really becomes too difficult to film starting with the 4th book, so just cancel the show, wait until he's done with the books, and then maybe reboot the series 10 years from now. AFFC and ADWD work as books, but I can't see how they would work as part of a tv series. We need to see the endgame before any of it makes sense.

Hell, ADWD doesn't even work as a book. It's easily the most disappointed I've ever been by a book and I read a lot.

RaidenZR

You're smoking some good stuff if you think HBO would even entertain the idea of cancelling the show right now. Even if this season and the 4th were relatively lukewarm, there's still money on the table.

At some people Martin will have to decide what's more important: attending 7-8 conventions a year (almost one a month) and editing multiple anthologies, or getting on an actual writing schedule to finish ASOIAF before Benioff/Weiss catch up. The show is only getting more popular, I'm starting to doubt it'll be cancelled anytime soon. But I think we're getting to a point where Martin has to prove he can finish a book in decent time - ie 2014 for TWOW, or 2015 at the latest.

Luckily he has gotten past the particular "Knot" that held up the last two books, but it's time to show n prove that things will move faster now. ADWD came out nearly 2 years ago.

Benioff and Weiss talk season 3 (spoilers)

Couple interesting bits:
George always wanted more hours per season. And it would be great, but we just can’t. It was getting to the point where we were turning in VFX shots on “Blackwater” [last season] a week before airing. It was getting to the point where Quality Control in New York for HBO had to get the tapes couriered with 20 minutes to spare
Holy shit that is tight!
Last season the vast bulk of stunts and resources went into the last two episodes. Here it’s more spread out over the whole season.

Especially the last six episodes. Our seasons are always designed to build. Pretty much the last six are full of major set pieces. There’s not one episode that’s as major as “Blackwater,” but in some ways that’s better because we get to distribute the wealth a bit more.
In my veins now!

ASOS/Season 3 spoilers
Last six is a bold statement, considering episode 4 (the 7th to last) has Craster's munity and Dracarys in it. Those are pretty major.

AngryMoth

At some people Martin will have to decide what's more important: attending 7-8 conventions a year (almost one a month) and editing multiple anthologies, or getting on an actual writing schedule to finish ASOIAF before Benioff/Weiss catch up. The show is only getting more popular, I'm starting to doubt it'll be cancelled anytime soon. But I think we're getting to a point where Martin has to prove he can finish a book in decent time - ie 2014 for TWOW, or 2015 at the latest.

Luckily he has gotten past the particular "Knot" that held up the last two books, but it's time to show n prove that things will move faster now. ADWD came out nearly 2 years ago.
If they do catch up too early I'd love to see a season based on Robert's rebellion to fill some time.

ESPN has been running tv spots for it, the only channel I've seen them on.

Oh I've seen the tv spot, but to dedicate an entire sports show to it kind of surprised me.

Each person has their own 'house' with sigils and mottos. A whole 30 minute advert to the show.

The intro to the show was also a play on the show's intro.

[ASOS]

Thats the amazing thing with [ASoS MAJOR Spoilers]
the RW, is that its not just one major character dying, its two plus basically ending the Stark war effort in one swoop. I was ready for Robb to possibly die, but then Cat dies as well? That was nuts, especially with how graphic their deaths are in the book- both Robb and Cat seem to die slow, painful deaths which just makes that scene all the worse.

Benioff and Weiss talk season 3 (spoilers)

Couple interesting bits:

Holy shit that is tight!
That is nuts. It almost sounds like South Park and how they sometimes barely get episodes out in time. That's crazy for a production as big as GoT.

Rookje

tumblr_mk6c5ufqYd1qb77q5o1_500.jpg

Yeah that review was pretty spoiler ridden.

Light Series
Valar Dohaeris is the title because it plays off the last one. The North Remembers was an excellent title for the first episode of season 2 even given its impactful use later. As someone that really likes episode titles of shows for some reason, I don't think it's a big deal

Yeah, it's not really a big deal and I get the end of S2 start of S3 symmetry. But unless something's changed, it has nothing to do with the episode and it would've worked better in the future. I just don't think D&D are very patient with a lot of things.

And "The North Remembers" would work better as a reference to RW for a future episode, not when it really doesn't have much to do with the episodes.

For someone who loves what The Sopranos did with their episode titles, I think they could be better if D&D showed some restraint.

CassSept

ASOS/Season 3 spoilers
Last six is a bold statement, considering episode 4 (the 7th to last) has Craster's munity and Dracarys in it. Those are pretty major.

[ASOS]
Wasn't "Mhysa" scene right after "Dracarys" after Astapor? That would make th scene Season finale, rather than episode 4? And that would make quite a season finale after RW

It is here. We had snow and we're looking at an easter that's colder than xmas 2012.

It's the first easter since, well I think forever when there is snow during Easter. There is a tradition here that more or less could be translated to "Wet Monday" during which it's a custom for people to spray water on people, yet this year snowball fights are more possible. This being April Fools' this year is basically a punchline to the whole situation.

[ASOS]
Wasn't "Mhysa" scene right after "Dracarys" after Astapor? That would make th scene Season finale, rather than episode 4? And that would make quite a season finale after RW

ASOS
No, the Mysa scene was in Yunkai. The Yunkai slaves call Dany that after they're freed. So we'll have her burning the slavers in Astapor early in the season, and then end the season with the Yunkai slaves being freed and calling her mother.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom