• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
You bring up a good point with Rhaegar's prophecies, I always wondered what he thought riding into battle at the Trident. Did he expect to stop Robert right then and there and return to King's Landing and depose of his Father? Did he plan to have two wives as the King or as you said, did he know that his death would be the first step in the Prince that was Promised legend?

Rhaegar was certainly as good a guy as Ned Stark was according to a lot of the characters. Maybe just in comparison to his father he wasn't a lunatic, but him kidnapping Lyanna and raping her seems as far-fetched as Ned fathering a bastard.

It doesn't match his character to rape and kidnap someone, and then try to justify his actions by going to war.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
Wow thanks guys. The great thing about this is that I'll probably forget it by the time I'll start reading the books (i.e. when the series will be concluded in either book or TV form) but that's some very interesting theories. Funny it was never mentioned on the show, in fact Ned's sister is only referred to as being burnt by the Mad King in S1 if I remember correctly.

They never say why she dies in the show, and in the books a lot of it is revealed while Ned is locked in the dungeon after Robert dies through inner monologue and dreams. Neds father was burnt by the mad king, while his older brother watched attached to a device that strangled him as he tried to help his father. series
We still don't know what caused Lyannas death, only that she died in a bed of blood. Could've been killed in the fighting to free her (surrounded by Kingsguard, who only protect royal family btw) or she couldve died from childbirth

He also curses himself for killing Sansas wolf, after he heard that Summer saved Brans life. He thinks theyre sent by the old gods and shouldve died before he let anything happen to the wolves.

exYle

Wow thanks guys. The great thing about this is that I'll probably forget it by the time I'll start reading the books (i.e. when the series will be concluded in either book or TV form) but that's some very interesting theories. Funny it was never mentioned on the show, in fact Ned's sister is only referred to as being burnt by the Mad King in S1 if I remember correctly.

Lyanna definitely was not burned and if that was mentioned in the show, it was an egregious error. Lord Rickard Stark, Ned's father, was burned by the Mad King, and Brandon Stark, Ned's older brother, was strangled by him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRQkt2wqaCE

Mario007

They never say why she dies in the show, and in the books a lot of it is revealed while Ned is locked in the dungeon after Robert dies through inner monologue and dreams. Neds father was burnt by the mad king, while his older brother watched attached to a device that strangled him as he tried to help his father. series
We still don't know what caused Lyannas death, only that she died in a bed of blood. Could've been killed in the fighting to free her (surrounded by Kingsguard, who only protect royal family btw) or she couldve died from childbirth

He also curses himself for killing Sansas wolf, after he heard that Summer saved Brans life. He thinks theyre sent by the old gods and shouldve died before he let anything happen to the wolves.
Oh right must have confused it a bit then. I gotta rewatch season 1. THe direwolfs= protectors from gods theory I have heard before and it does make sense, though they are very much on the background in the show.

Lyanna definitely was not burned and if that was mentioned in the show, it was an egregious error. Lord Rickard Stark, Ned's father, was burned by the Mad King, and Brandon Stark, Ned's older brother, was strangled by him.
I might be getting confused as she was introduced in the same conversation that Robert has with Ned when they first mention the Mad King and his desire to burn shit so I might have made the connection without it even being implied in the show.

Lkr

So I open the thread and people are talking about how one can
pee without a dick
. Shit is getting real

Iksenpets

Banned
So excuse my anatomy question, but if Theon lost his penis, how would we pee? Westeros wouldn't have the same miracles of modern science that we do.

Serious, and rather gruesome response:
I once read a profile of one of the last surviving eunuchs in China, where he described that they had first shoved a piece of straw up the urethra so that after you cut it off the straw was still in there to preserve the opening while the wound healed. Then they pulled out the straw and voila, instant peehole.

I pray to god the show never explores these details.

Mario007

What is the source of that? An HBO special? Seems really well produced.
They're Blu Ray (and DVD?) featurettes. They're pretty awesome for the lore stuff, they describe the rebellion, the religions, the various houses and their origins, Aegon's invasion, The Nights Watch etc. They actually got the actors to be the narrator so say for House Lannister origin it is Tywinn Lannister telling you the origins of his house. Pretty awesome.

ezrarh

I once read a profile of one of the last surviving eunuchs in China, where he described that they had first shoved a piece of straw up the urethra so that after you cut it off the straw was still in there to preserve the opening while the wound healed. Then they pulled out the straw and voila, instant peehole.

I'm squirming in my seat right now.

Kud Dukan

tumblr_mk74mk4eaD1r0s557o1_500.gif

Moff

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I wish I hadn't looked at the pics spoiling Ros's death and I'm feeling that way even moreso about these new leaked pics.
Thanks for the warning! I almost clicked but I kinda regretted knowing about Ros, so I won't be clicking those now.

Indeed. The video says "Rickard's youngest son Eddard". That is infuriating that I will never be able to correct them
Wow, that's on the DVD featurette? Blatant mistake, haha.

Well I was going to ask that we keep the "leaked" pics to PMs this week, but whelp too late on that one lol! How do you guys feel about that assuming that policy if some countries continue to get the episode a few hours before? Personally, I think we should keep them to the PMs, we already know so much and getting spoiled on it even more is pretty annoying (I'm so weak!). Whatever you guys want though I guess.
In the past, we've used a full on separate spoiler thread for The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad for when things (images, scripts, etc...) leaked. It helps keep that discussion in another location and seemed to work reasonably well. Makes it a little easier for people to make a decision as to if they want to check out the leaked content every week. It would compound the problem of ASoIaF thread proliferation, but it's another solution to keep in mind.
Couple things about tonight's episode of excitement: This is George's script and is also the first of two Michelle MacLaren directed episodes.
Nice. Double nice.

Levi

Banned
The real solution is unmarked book spoilers. That way, only real spoilers are blacked out, not events from a decade old novel.

ASOS
Ahhh one of my favorite Jamie moments tonight. I know my favorite part of it isn't going to translate well into film but still.

"You want her? Go get her." So he did. "So he did." had me cackling with joy.

cj_iwakura

screencap spoier

wow this episode will be amazing, cant wait
dany and the dragons, the bear pit, tywin and joffrey (high expectations for that) and some sick ramsay stuff

ADWD
I'm fine with more Ramsay. I could do without more torture. :(

Guess the two go hand in hand, don't they?

Dysun

ASOS
Ahhh one of my favorite Jamie moments tonight. I know my favorite part of it isn't going to translate well into film but still.

"You want her? Go get her." So he did. "So he did." had me cackling with joy.
"You're still a maiden I hope"
"Yes"
"Good, I only rescue maidens"

In the past, we've used a full on separate spoiler thread for The Walking Dead and Breaking Bad for when things (images, scripts, etc...) leaked. It helps keep that discussion in another location and seemed to work reasonably well. Makes it a little easier for people to make a decision as to if they want to check out the leaked content every week. It would compound the problem of ASoIaF thread proliferation, but it's another solution to keep in mind.
Yeah the thing about that is I'd like to avoid yet another ASOIAF thread, there's already so many.

We'll definitely have to look into some changes for next season after this one is over though, as we get deeper into the series, it might be a good idea.
The real solution is unmarked book spoilers. That way, only real spoilers are blacked out, not events from a decade old novel.
That might just be what we start doing next season. We'll see though, it'll be something to discuss when the time comes.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Serious question then. How many people in this thread are currently reading through all the books? I've said before I think we're a small number since we're only temporarily in that position. I know two people recently said they just finished. I'm at halfway with ADWD.

And if you want to avoid the non-book readers clicking on the wrong thread, just make sure to make the thread title vastly different.

Dany

Banned
I was in the position where I was reading through the books around the time season 2 was starting and the spoiler-tagging system in these thread had certainly helped me from knowing anything prematurly.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'm halfway through ADWD too, but I don't know... there are always people starting to read the books at one point or another the more popular the series grows, which is a great thing.

The thing is, these books are massive. It's not like you can read them all in a couple of afternoons if you wanted to. It's not ideal to have someone who's at, say, ASOS, posting in the non-book readers thread, and they won't be able to read a thread with unmarked spoilers either. So having a marked spoilers thread is ideal if you don't want to alienate people who want to join the discussion. That said, I have no idea how many here are in this situation, but even if all the posters say they're ok with unmarked spoilers, there are hundreds of people who read the thread and don't post.

In the end we'll always need a non-book readers and a book readers with marked spoilers thread. I don't check the "unmarked spoilers for all books" thread, but I assume people post about the show there too?

Lothar

Banned
Serious question then. How many people in this thread are currently reading through all the books? I've said before I think we're a small number since we're only temporarily in that position. I know two people recently said they just finished. I'm at halfway with ADWD.

And if you want to avoid the non-book readers clicking on the wrong thread, just make sure to make the thread title vastly different.

I'm also halfway through ADWD, so I appreciate this thread and all of the black bars. The other thread is definitely out of the question. It's such a witch hunt over there. I got banned there a few weeks ago because someone forgot that a thing I mentioned happened in the show (or just didn't understand that it happened) and assumed I was talking about the books simply because they couldn't remember it happening.

Can't fucking wait for tonight. It's directed by Michelle MacLaren, the director for all the best Breaking Bad episodes. And written by GRRM. What a combo.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
He's mostly a movie guy. I would not be surprised at all if he only accepted the role because he knew it would only last a single season.

He's mostly a movie guy. I would not be surprised at all if he only accepted the role because he knew it would only last a single season.

Since he was a bigger name, I'm guessing he probably had a higher salary as the main guy in season 1 too. So it probably worked out that way from a budget POV as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom