• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

gdt

SOS spoilers

How the hell are they gonna do the original ending for Shae and Tyrion? Its impossible at this point. That was an intense betrayal for the Tyrion and the readers, I don't know that its possible with the increased focus on Shae.

Eidan

SOS spoilers

How the hell are they gonna do the original ending for Shae and Tyrion? Its impossible at this point. That was an intense betrayal for the Tyrion and the readers, I don't know that its possible with the increased focus on Shae.

I'm not sure why people think this has to change.

Azih

SOS spoilers

SOS
Is the show really portraying Shae as being in any way non expendable? I mean by the time Shae bites it in the books everything in King's Landing has been completely upset anyway with far more important characters getting killed before her. I think they're setting it up very nicely with Tywin blathering on about hating Tyrion's whoring habits. That'll be a monologue that everyone will be referring back to when Tyrion stumbles across Shae in Tywin's bed to explain Tyrion descending to homicide/patricide.

No time and money for more episodes. Splitting one book into two seasons is as good as we're going to get.

From what the showrunners have said, it wasn't money, but it was time. They turned in footage of the Blackwater episode to the VFX studio a week before it aired. They were constantly in a hurry and sending in finished tapes to HBO with 20 minutes to spare.

gdt

SOS
Is the show really portraying Shae as being in any way non expendable? I mean by the time Shae bites it in the books everything in King's Landing has been completely upset anyway with far more important characters getting killed before her. I think they're setting it up very nicely with Tywin blathering on about hating Tyrion's whoring habits

SOS

The point is that we see Shae risk her life last year to find and stay for Tyrion. And tonight she comments how she will always watch of Sansa.

These arent ruses, she's saying and doing what she actually feels. How will she go from that to betraying Tyrion and testifying against him in the trial? I think a betrayal now would feel too out there, seeing as we've seen her put her life in danger in the S2 finale for Tyrion. Or potentially put her life in danger anyway.

gdt

Its not money, its time. They literally can't do more episodes in a year. Unless this show pulls a Sopranos and makes season every year and a half/2 years the episodes will stay as fast paced and jumpy as they are.

If anything it enhances it.

Yeah. [ASoS]
Having Shae betray Tyrion when Tyrion is at his lowest during the trial and afterwards basically is a massive betrayal. But from Shae's POV for her own survival it basically makes sense. But its completely throwing Tyrion under the bus.

Even with the changes made in the show, that scene would still make sense, IMO.

A few more gifs that I nabbed & rehosted from over on the SA forums:

iicqYmk0vw9zS.gif

i0kBhuiqCY5Ag.gif

ib2CM4HYXLOulo.gif

i2a1VtcbDQIGr.gif

ibfIpGzg9Luex.gif

iNgbv3Ydrbrav.gif

iSlslf92SWRxc.gif

nsfw Bronn & friend: http://i.minus.com/iqJ5VpU757KL6.gif

In the Wire, they have many plot lines going on. You got the police plot, the drug dealer plot, the druggie plot, politicians plots, so many things going on in a single episode. You'd probably get just a few minutes with a particular character and then it moves on to something else. It works for the Wire because everything is connected. We see how each character can be affected by a different character even though they have not and will not meet.

For GoT, the events happen so far away to not matter. It's alright in the books because you get to spend more time with the characters and actually get hints and details as to what is going on. There's so much more to latch on to in the books. But in the show, having only 55 minutes and episode, they can't go into much detail. They can only jump from character to character and since there are so many goddamn characters, some get left out of certain episodes.

Lothar

Banned

It has to change because it's impossible for it to happen the way the book did it now.
This Shae clearly cares more about Tyrion than jewels. It's not an act. TV show Shae wouldn't testify against Tyrion for a monetary reward.

Azih

SOS

The point is that we see Shae risk her life last year to find and stay for Tyrion. And tonight she comments how she will always watch of Sansa.

These arent ruses, she's saying and doing what she actually feels. How will she go from that to betraying Tyrion and testifying against him in the trial? I think a betrayal now would feel too out there, seeing as we've seen her put her life in danger in the S2 finale for Tyrion. Or potentially put her life in danger anyway.
SOS spoilers getting Major now.
Do you think the show Shae allows her to be portrayed ultimately as a survivor first and foremost? Tyrion's ability to protect Shae is faltering and going to go into the toilet after all. Let's not forget that she's playing the Game of Thrones as well and the show hasn't flinched from that aspect of her character. I can see the point that TV Shae is more heroic than book Shae. But is she heroic to a fault? Would show Shae stand by Tyrion if it meant her getting thrown into cells and possibly executed along with him for the MURDER of boy king Joffery? I'd say that show Shae, though different from Book Shae, isn't that noble and definitely not that stupid. She's not NED

Regarding the Shae and Tyrion discussion in spoilers:

What everyone is forgetting is that it's not the lies and the betrayal that get Tyrion--he knows she wouldn't be able to resist Tywin--it's what she says when she does it. She says he made her call him her "giant of Lannister" which was unnecessary and really just twists the knife in his greatest shame. Then when he finds her in Tywin's bed he's ready to forgive her but then she calls him that again and reminds him. He snaps and kills her.

If they keep that in I think they can play that up. Tyrion is not a nice guy and people have to remember that, but there can be some measure of provocation to "justify" it.

I enjoyed that quite a bit. Seeing a giant was awesome, didn't think they'd give us that. :D

Anyone else think they are dropping the ball in their portrayal of the war so far? SOS
I mean, everything north of King's Landing is basically a burnt fucking ruin from book 2 onward. It's to the point where you have a mass exodus with everyone winding up at KL seeking refuge and overcrowding and starvation becoming real problems. You can't travel anywhere as Starks or Lannisters or the Mountains band are killing at will. I hold out hope that Arya's arc this season will provide us these visuals.

Eidan

It has to change because it's impossible for it to happen the way the book did it now.
This Shae clearly cares more about Tyrion than jewels. It's not an act. TV show Shae wouldn't testify against Tyrion for a monetary reward.

ASOS
If Shae really cares about Tyrion, then it would only make her betrayal and Tyrion's retribution all the more tragic and morally ambiguous, something that I think audiences will enjoy.

Seeing how her feelings will come in conflict with her own survival, as all of her support systems crumble after Joffrey's death and Tyrion's imprisonment, will make compelling television.

ASoS
Lets not forget that we have the whole Sansa marrying Tyrion part of the plot to come. With the increased focus and relationship between the three this could definitely change the dynamic, cause Shae to feel slighted by both sides and can basically go with the story in the books with only minor tweaking.

While I think D&D take their liberties, I don't think that they've let anyone live when they were supposed to die (the opposite is definitely true though.).

Grifter

This isn't the show for you. (Series Spoiler)
It only gets darker and more fucked up from here. There is no joy to be had for anyone.
Yeah, wife read the books and informed me of that, and that the political intrigue and detachment of the books makes it easier to digest. Yet she's had ADWD waiting on her nightstand for 6 months for similar reasons.

Thanks for this! I looked up Robb on IMDB and STILL thought they were the same guy. I had to open character pics of both in separate windows to confirm. (I've been slow ever since they cut my balls off with a hot knife.)

Azrael

I don't like the casting of either Mance or Tormund either. For Mance, it's as if they wanted to cast a marquee actor at all costs regardless of whether they were right for the role or not. Ciarian Hinds is a fine actor, but he's too dour to play Mance Rayder. And the actor who plays Tormund -- well, he certainly looks the part, but he seems to lack the range to make the character affable.

Dysun

I think it works just as well if Tywin/Cersei end up killing Shae and prompting Tyrion's revenge. It makes him more sympathetic to the viewer as well.

Zabka

I don't like the casting of either Mance or Tormund either. For Mance, it's as if they wanted to cast a marquee actor at all costs regardless of whether they were right for the role or not. Ciarian Hinds is a fine actor, but he's too dour to play Mance Rayder. And the actor who plays Tormund -- well, he certainly looks the part, but he seems to lack the range to make the character affable.

It's a little early to make that judgment. You've seen like a minute of each of them.

Agree with Mance, though I'll certainly give Hinds a chance, but I think Tormund is spot on. I disagree--I think he's a very likable actor.

Lothar

Banned
ASOS
If Shae really cares about Tyrion, then it would only make her betrayal and Tyrion's retribution all the more tragic and morally ambiguous, something that I think audiences will enjoy.

Seeing how her feelings will come in conflict with her own survival, as all of her support systems crumble after Joffrey's death and Tyrion's imprisonment, will make compelling television.

ASOS
If she really cares about Tyrion then she has to have a damn good reason for turning on him. If she has a damn good understandable reason for doing that and she's not really an awful person, then Tyrion becomes completely unlikable for killing her to the TV audience. I don't see why they would do that.

Is it only me who pronounces Harrenhal as it Harren-HAL (not hall)?

I don't see how 'hal' is pronounced hall :\

It's literally the "hall"/dwelling of Harren the Black. I think dropping the last L is just a language/tradition kinda thing. I'm no authority, though.

I agree on Mance; chasing the big name at all costs isn't a good idea, and forces the writers to expand the role to make the actor happy (see Littlefinger, Margery). Still, I believe we should at least wait to see more of Mance, in better scenes, before making final judgements.

Same with Tormund. I've seen the actor in someway at comedic roles, let's see what the writers have in store for him.

HBO just renewed Game of Thrones for Season 4.
HBO said:
HBO RENEWS GAME OF THRONES FOR FOURTH SEASON

--------

Season Three Soars To Highest Viewership Yet

--------

LOS ANGELES, April 2, 2013 – HBO has renewed GAME OF THRONES for a fourth season, it was announced today by Michael Lombardo, president, HBO Programming.

Based on the bestselling fantasy book series by George R.R. Martin, GAME OF THRONES is an epic story of treachery and nobility set on the continent of Westeros, where summers and winters can last years, and only the lust for power is eternal. The Emmy®- and Golden Globe-winning series launched its ten-episode third season Sunday, March 31 (9:00-10:00 p.m. ET/PT), exclusively on HBO, with other episodes debuting subsequent Sundays at the same time.

Among the early critical praise for the third season, the Hollywood Reporter called GAME OF THRONES “addictive and outstanding,” while Newsday termed the series “superb,” awarding the show an A+. The Chicago Tribune hailed the show as “spellbinding” and the Washington Post described it as “masterful.”

According to early data, GAME OF THRONES’ season three premiere March 31 on HBO topped the series’ highs, with record viewership for both the 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT) airing and gross audience across the three plays. At 9:00 p.m., it averaged 4.4 million viewers, outperforming (+4%) the previous high of 4.2 million viewers from last season’s finale. GAMES OF THRONES improved 13% in comparison to last season’s premiere of 3.9 million viewers. Across the three plays for the night, 6.7 million viewers tuned in, surpassing last season’s debut night of 6.3 million viewers by 7%. Last season, GAME OF THRONES had an average gross audience (HBO linear plays + HBO On Demand/HBO GO + DVR) of 11.6 million viewers.

For more on the series, visit facebook.com/GameOfThrones and twitter.com @GameOfThrones #GameOfThrones.

Season three credits: The executive producers of GAME OF THRONES are David Benioff, D.B. Weiss, Carolyn Strauss, Frank Doelger, Bernadette Caulfield; co-executive producers, Guymon Casady, Vince Gerardis, George R.R. Martin, Vanessa Taylor; produced by Chris Newman, Greg Spence.

Lkr

C'mon guys it's so easily to do. They just have to imply that
cersei threatened her if she didn't testify.

Fey

Banned
Regarding the discussion about Shae ... ASOS
I really don't see why her story/death would change in the show. It was established in season 2 that she doesn't like being hidden and stuck in a room and so she uses her relationship with Tyrion to become Sansa's handmaiden, allowing her to have more freedom.

When Joffrey dies, Sansa escapes with LF (meaning Shae will lose her position as her handmaiden) and Tyrion is imprisoned (and so is not as influential/powerful as he was before ... aka he won't be able to get her another position like that). Sansa has ditched her, Tyrion can no longer give her anything, and Cersei offers her money and a husband. Shae will have little reason not to betray Sansa and Tyrion, who have both basically screwed her at this point. Plus Cersei can threaten her.

edit: great news about season 4. :D

I enjoyed that quite a bit. Seeing a giant was awesome, didn't think they'd give us that. :D

Anyone else think they are dropping the ball in their portrayal of the war so far? SOS
I mean, everything north of King's Landing is basically a burnt fucking ruin from book 2 onward. It's to the point where you have a mass exodus with everyone winding up at KL seeking refuge and overcrowding and starvation becoming real problems. You can't travel anywhere as Starks or Lannisters or the Mountains band are killing at will. I hold out hope that Arya's arc this season will provide us these visuals.

Yeah I think a bit, but I also think the show was kind of always doomed in this aspect as you only have 10 hours a season and a trillion characters, time needs to be spent with our characters and their actions and relationships. The Harrenhal scene in episode 1 was pretty nice in that aspect though, we'll see how they handle it in season 3.

---------------

Nice to get the official word on the obvious renewal.

----------------

The Daily Raven: Simone Boyce's Episode 1 recap (book spoilers)

Which book if you don't mind me asking? It's been a while since I've read AGoT.
But yeah, I can't imagine a woman faring too well in that scenario.

I want to say it's in ASOS. Minor story spoilers (none if you've read ACoK or watched S2):
I think it is mentioned during Hodor, Bran, and Co.'s travels from Winterfell, as Hodor has a larger role in these sequences.

Might be in AFfC, though--sorry, can't remember.

Atsumi

I want to say it's in ASOS. Minor story spoilers (none if you've read ACoK or watched S2):
I think it is mentioned during Hodor, Bran, and Co.'s travels from Winterfell, as Hodor has a larger role in these sequences.

Might be in AFfC, though--sorry, can't remember.

[~ASoS]
I haven't read AFfC yet (starting it tonight), so that may be why I haven't seen it. It would make sense since they just crossed the wall. I figured it's something Osha might have mentioned after seeing Hodor in the first book.

Why isn't it Sunday yet?

As far as not accurately showing the effects of the war, one thing they could do is show earlier settings from S1 maybe... but show the contrast between the two. After all, those physical places were already used before. In the books (ASoS)
I know that do that a little bit... some stuff happens in that same inn where Cat captured Tyrion, maybe that could be a good opportunity

Just to clarify, Robb and his soldiers came upon Harrenhal in this episode right? The people I was watching with thought it was Winterfell and I was like "Uhhhh"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom