• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing devil's advocate here:

Twyin's father nearly upended House Lannister and made it a laughingstock because of his weakness, including through his relationship with a dubious woman, so, naturally, Tywin was both alarmed and upset when the biggest whoremonger in the entire clan demanded the keys to Casterly Rock.

It's understandable, but Tywin's mistake is that he perceives Tyrion's overindulgence as a sign of character weakness, and he's quick to dismiss Tyrion's latest heroics as mere anamolies in a long history of gross amoral excessiveness.

Furthermore, perception is key and so even if he did recognize Tyrion's positive attributes, it wouldn't matter since the enemies of House Lannister would almost assuredly interpret the "dwarf's" ascension to the position of Lord of Casterly Rock as a golden opportunity for open rebellion, as they undoubtedly perceive Tyrion as his own father and the rest of the realm do. Tywin cannot afford to have his house subject to such scrutiny.

The sad thing, for Tywin, is that there's no Lannister really worthy of assuming his role once he is done, and he knows this.

Trasher

Winterfell (after being burned in season two)

Winterfell_Burning.jpg

Harrenhal

Harrenhal I believe had/has the largest towers in Westeros. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Brashnir

As far as not accurately showing the effects of the war, one thing they could do is show earlier settings from S1 maybe... but show the contrast between the two. After all, those physical places were already used before. In the books (ASoS)
I know that do that a little bit... some stuff happens in that same inn where Cat captured Tyrion, maybe that could be a good opportunity

ASOS
Sandor Clegane kills Polliver, the Tickler and a squire at that inn. No idea if they'll put it in the show, though.

Harrenhal I believe had/has the largest towers in Westeros. Correct me if I'm wrong?

It did before the Targaryen's dragons melted them.

Only thing I didn't enjoy was Qyburn's introduction.

Considering that the show seems like its not going to have the [ACoK/ASoS]
Bloody Mummers/Brave Companions
I thought it was good enough of an intro. [ACoK/ASoS]
You figure that Robb will probably give Harrenhal to Roose Bolton to hold on to in the show. Then Jaime and Brienne will eventually be captured by Bolton's men and brought back to Harrenhal, where Qyburn can tend to Jaime and eventually be sent off with Jaime to King's Landing.

The actual introduction was just sort of matter of fact, but considering the changes they've made to everything involving Harrenhal, its about as good as it was going to be, I think.

Trasher

By the way, on an Inside HBO thing that just played [ASoS/Season 3]
it flat out shows the Hound cutting Beric near in half. Why would you show that?! Kinda bummed out that some people will see that.

Finally found the video of the above mentioned spoiler put up on Youtube for anyone that's interested in watching. 32 second mark. The rest of it is spoiler free before that and after the 35 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMsYTUg6ask&list=UUQzdMyuz0Lf4zo4uGcEujFw&index=3

Also, dat moment at 46 seconds.

Minus_Me

Considering that the show seems like its not going to have the [ACoK/ASoS]
Bloody Mummers/Brave Companions
I thought it was good enough of an intro. [ACoK/ASoS]
You figure that Robb will probably give Harrenhal to Roose Bolton to hold on to in the show. Then Jaime and Brienne will eventually be captured by Bolton's men and brought back to Harrenhal, where Qyburn can tend to Jaime and eventually be sent off with Jaime to King's Landing.

The actual introduction was just sort of matter of fact, but considering the changes they've made to everything involving Harrenhal, its about as good as it was going to be, I think.

Excellent point.

Finally found the video of the above mentioned spoiler put up on Youtube for anyone that's interested in watching. 32 second mark. The rest of it is spoiler free before that and after the 35 second mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMsYTUg6ask&list=UUQzdMyuz0Lf4zo4uGcEujFw&index=3

Also, dat moment at 46 seconds.

Meh... the clip is quick enough (ASOS)
that you can't tell who it was, especially given that Beric hasn't been reintroduced to the world yet, I doubt it will have spoiled many show only viewers

Pand

Just watched episode one, I liked it...except for one thing: ASoS
WHERE THE FLYING FUCK IS STRONG BELWAS? I was really looking forward to seeing him. Daenerys' story line could use a light-hearted personality.

Yonafunu

ASOS
Sandor Clegane kills Polliver, the Tickler and a squire at that inn. No idea if they'll put it in the show, though.

ASOS
Arya kills the Tickler, right? It's actually one of the greatest scenes in the sereis, where she sits on top of him and just keeps stabbing him, screaming "WHERE IS THE GOLD, WHERE IS THE BROTHERHOOD" etc.

ASOS
Arya kills the Tickler, right? It's actually one of the greatest scenes in the sereis, where she sits on top of him and just keeps stabbing him, screaming "WHERE IS THE GOLD, WHERE IS THE BROTHERHOOD" etc.
On the show Jaqen killed the Tickler as Arya's first death.

LAUGHTREY

Modesty becomes a woman
I think it works just as well if Tywin/Cersei end up killing Shae and prompting Tyrion's revenge. It makes him more sympathetic to the viewer as well.

That kind of ruins his motivation in DWD though doesn't it? It's a different feeling if SoS
The one you love gets murdered and the one you love betrays you. I don't think he drinks himself to Essos and is depressed because he killed his dad. He already expects his dad to be a dickhead, Shae was a curveball that drove him over the edge. It's way more depressing if something is taken from you than if it leaves you.

Just watched episode one, I liked it...except for one thing: ASoS
WHERE THE FLYING FUCK IS STRONG BELWAS? I was really looking forward to seeing him. Daenerys' story line could use a light-hearted personality.

That's one thing that has bugged me a little in the show. Some of the characters from the books that have these really noteworthy quirks or parts of their personality that are really colorful seem to get subdued quite a bit. Its something that the review on Westeros.org mentioned and I agree with.

Like you mentioned, [ASoS]
somebody like Strong Belwas isn't even on the show. At least as of yet. Which I guess makes sense if they're avoiding Barristan's whole disguise. But then they got rid of Vargo Hoat and his lisp; they seemingly have toned down how gregarious Tormund Giantsbane is (lack of HAR!); they've toned down Mance Rayder being portrayed as a bard with crazy adventure stories; no ragtag group of Bloody Mummers; even back in season 2 by putting the Mountain in generic Lannister armor instead of the unique armor he wore in Season 1 and so on.

Certainly with some of those examples it makes sense I guess to tone down the characters, where something that seems ok in the books might be goofy on TV. But in some other instances it just seems like you possibly end up making less memorable characters. With a cast as big as it is, I'd think they'd want more characters with unique little quirks to make them stand out in their roles.

That's one thing that has bugged me a little in the show. Some of the characters from the books that have these really noteworthy quirks or parts of their personality that are really colorful seem to get subdued quite a bit. Its something that the review on Westeros.org mentioned and I agree with.

Like you mentioned, [ASoS]
somebody like Strong Belwas isn't even on the show. At least as of yet. Which I guess makes sense if they're avoiding Barristan's whole disguise. But then they got rid of Vargo Hoat and his lisp; they seemingly have toned down how gregarious Tormund Giantsbane is (lack of HAR!); they've toned down Mance Rayder being portrayed as a bard with crazy adventure stories; no ragtag group of Bloody Mummers; even back in season 2 by putting the Mountain in generic Lannister armor instead of the unique armor he wore in Season 1 and so on.

Certainly with some of those examples it makes sense I guess to tone down the characters, where something that seems ok in the books might be goofy on TV. But in some other instances it just seems like you possibly end up making less memorable characters. With a cast as big as it is, I'd think they'd want more characters with unique little quirks to make them stand out in their roles.

ASOS/Season 3
I wouldn't throw too much judgment on the TV versions of Mance and Tormund based on one scene.

Dysun

That kind of ruins his motivation in DWD though doesn't it? It's a different feeling if SoS
The one you love gets murdered and the one you love betrays you. I don't think he drinks himself to Essos and is depressed because he killed his dad. He already expects his dad to be a dickhead, Shae was a curveball that drove him over the edge. It's way more depressing if something is taken from you than if it leaves you.

There's also the truth about Tysha to consider, Jaime's reveal right before he murders Tywin and Shae has to play a part. I think it's a culmination of losing everything and realizing his only true love wasn't a lie that throws Tyrion into his ADWD darkness.
I dont see why it would interfere with him not knowing where to go with his life and then deciding to meet up with Dany to bring vengeance on Cersei

That is great.

"I would have also accepted 'because bastards don't get to sit at the cool table.'"

Yep, I couldn't stop laughing about that. It was also the 'minor book reference'.

Edit: Also loved "With all the weird stuff your kids are into, me sleeping with whores is pretty vanilla."

Jetman

Not sure if the question was asked 29 pages ago or whatever but what's the connotation of the title of the episode? It's called Valar Doheris (sp?). Is there some relation to that and what Jaquen told Arya in Season 2, 'Valar Morghulis'? Is Jaquen from Astapor maybe...

RaidenZR

Come to think of it, Arya's three best moments in the books were all ruined on the show: the stable boy, Weasel soup, and that one.

Yeah, just in terms of straight up execution, the show has really diminished two key fan favorites for me so far: Arya and Jon.

Not sure if the question was asked 29 pages ago or whatever but what's the connotation of the title of the episode? It's called Valar Doheris (sp?). Is there some relation to that and what Jaquen told Arya in Season 2, 'Valar Morghulis'? Is Jaquen from Astapor maybe...

It's just a saying in High Valyrian. There's no other connection other than the bookend-ish-ness of the season closer from last year to the season opener this year. I guess you can search for meaning if you take the translation, but it was an off choice for a title if you ask me.

Edit: Since you bring up Jaqen and may want more clarification on that relationship [series spoilers]
Jaqen is part of the faceless men, who reside in Braavos. It's a commen saying amongst people in Bravos. "Valar Morghulis " is usually answered with "Valar Dohaeris", which mean "All men must die" and "All men must serve", respectively.

Iksenpets

Banned

Minor spoilers
Valar morghulis means all men die. Valar dohaeris is used as a sort of response to it meaning all men must serve. So it really doesn't have anything to do with the episode, it's just playing off the call and response nature of the two phrases since the season 2 finale was Valar Morghulis.

DBT85

Winterfell (after being burned in season two)

Harrenhal

Tallest towers, thickest walls. None of which was a match for The Black Dread. By god I hope Drogon gets that large.

On the subject of cool names, as far as naming babies, Arya jumped 800% in popularity last year, and Theon also saw a boost.

The episode largely deals with our different characters serving their orders/families and possibly questioning those hence the title Valar Dohaeris (Samwell serving the Night's Watch, Jon's service to the Night's Watch and possibly questioning that, Robb's service to his men that have sworn to follow him as a King, Tyrion's service to his family, Barristan's service to the Targs/Baratheon's).

At least that's how I interpreted it.

RaidenZR

The episode largely deals with our different characters serving their orders/families and possibly questioning those hence the title Valar Dohaeris (Samwell serving the Night's Watch, Jon's service to the Night's Watch and possibly questioning that, Robb's service to his men that have sworn to follow him as a King, Tyrion's service to his family).

At least that's how I interpreted it.

It's a pretty weak connection for anyone not north of the wall though. I'd bet money that when all's said and done for this show that there's bound to be a better suited episode for such a title.

Edit: In retrospect, I guess it works best for the Barristan Selmy character.

Ark

Tallest towers, thickest walls. None of which was a match for The Black Dread. By god I hope Drogon gets that large.

Sorry, who? You must mean the black dragon that Dany has.

I wonder if D&D ever plan on filling the dragon's names into the show.

It's a pretty weak connection for anyone not north of the wall though. I'd bet money that when all's said and done for this show that there's bound to be a better suited episode for such a title.

Edit: In retrospect, I guess it works best for the Barristan Selmy character.

Oh yeah how did I not list Barristan for that. It's just an episode title, not that big of a deal, but there is that loose connection.

Pkaz01

Come to think of it, Arya's three best moments in the books were all ruined on the show: the stable boy, Weasel soup, and that one.

They ruined way more scenes than that..

ACOK and ASOS
her cutting the guards throat after the monologue with the tree in the godswood and they didn't even cast Harwin for season 3 which was one of my favorite parts in the book and for sure she isn't going to meet the ghost of high heart or the lady at acorn hall. and to be honest they really fucked up the scene where she uses Jaqens own name it felt so rushed and stupid in the show where as in the book she spends a while contemplating on her last pick and she says it after jaqen tells her he can kill anyone eventually. In the show he just says nope cant do it sorry.

They fucked up a lot of arya for no reason at all.

Amir0x

Banned
They fucked up a lot of arya for no reason at all.

The biggest tragedy of this show. I hope they take great pains to redeem themselves of Arya's story this season, because they need to fix a shitload of shit about her story arc to remedy what they destroyed.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The biggest tragedy of this show. I hope they take great pains to redeem themselves of Arya's story this season, because they need to fix a shitload of shit about her story arc to remedy what they destroyed.

My gf's favorite book character, but least favorite show character despite loving the actor.

it's a disaster.

Pkaz01

Yea... my bet is they do the same shit as they did last season and they cut down and rush her story forward to give extra time to the tyrells, talisa, and theon. She will probably be in like every other episode

and judging from the previews possible prediction spoiler?
doesn't look like they are focusing much on her anyway looks like they are focusing more on beric, the hound, and gendry with that melisandre bullshit but not arya just the people around her

No, it's Tigers. Tigers are the group of Volantis that comprised of the old aristocracy.

Good god, that attention to detail is amazing

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Maegyr_family

(series)
In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, Malaquo Maegyr is one of the Triarchs of Volantis, the city's three rulers. Triachs like Malaquo Maegyr are elected from amongst those noble families who can prove unbroken descent from old Valyria. Malaquo Maegyr is a "Tiger," the "Old Bloods" political faction who favor more resource allocation into preparing for war. Fittingly, the sigil next to the onscreen credit for Oona Chaplin, who portrays Talisa Maegyr, in the opening titles is two tigers circling one another.

99% of people won't even look at that sigil or realize what it means, but that's awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom