• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
The biggest tragedy of this show. I hope they take great pains to redeem themselves of Arya's story this season, because they need to fix a shitload of shit about her story arc to remedy what they destroyed.
A lot of this thread has become about how (series)
the so called audience will not be able to handle Shae's death at the hands of Tyrion because apparently she is to sympathetic of a character on the show, how then do you think they are gong to accept Arya's transformation into a cold blooded killer? At this point in the books, she has killed a stable boy, killed several people in the attack of the nights watch caravan, was savagely treated while held at Harrenhal, orchestrated the death of 2 specific individuals thanks to jaqen, and killed several of the guards herself on the way out of Harrenhal... in the show she kills the stable boy and orchestrates the death of 2 individuals and of course gets face time with the man leading the charge against her Brother... at this point does she at all seem like the beaten but matured beyond her years little girl from the books? Could she possibly be capable of cold blooded murder at this point?

They will soften Arya's arc, just as they are softening Tyrion's.

Worst thing I've read this morning. I'm happy about the direction D&D are headed with this sub-plot; they're only heightening the ambiguity and devastation of the act when it comes.

You will be disappointed. They've already blatantly foreshadowed how it will be changed.

You know? I'm really digging this show. I love the fact that is diverges from the books in some places. It's thrilling to see the stories I'm familiar with come to life, but it's also nice to be surprised in places, too.

It's like how Godfather the book and Godfather the movie are equally fantastic, even though they split in a lot of spots.

It is funny how the book versions of a lot of characters in my head are gone forever now. I think the biggest differences for me are Robert, Stannis, Jorah, Jon and now Mance.

Actually, Theon, Tywin, Cat and Sansa are all pretty different than who I had pictured, but I actually prefer the show versions to who I had pictured. Littlefinger, too.

Margery and Arya are about the same as I pictured except both actresses have such unique faces, I didn't specifically envision that, but they've now permanently erased whatever I had before, and I don't mind at all. Ned too, they were all similar but way more generic.

Eidan

There is no question that Arya's story was damaged from Season 2. I don't know why they made the changes to be honest and will echo that her time at Harrenhal vs the book is like night and day in terms of coming to grips with her environment. They can still fix her transformation but it seems like a pretty big loss changing Harrenhal so much.

The only thing season 2 damaged was Arya's kill count.

Zabka

I don't mind most of the changes from the books but when (ASOS)
the Tickler died in in Season 2
it was like getting told my grandmother died and getting punched in the stomach at the same time. There's only a couple moments I was looking forward to more than that in the whole series.

anaron

I agree with you guys on how they're going to handle the Tyrion storyline. Nothing is sacred.
It's not even that I'm a purist or anything, but the showrunners are both not nearly talented or respectful enough to handle the transition from the source material to the screen.

Aiii

So not worth it
People have got to stop being so focussed on comparing Book and TV series. They can never ever fit all the nuances and scenes from the book into the TV show. Neither will they ever adapt the story exactly as you would adapt it, neither would you adapt exactly as I would adapt it. It can't be done.

Either enjoy both seperately and understand this simple fact, or don't consume any adaptions, because you're just pissing yourself off for no other reason than pissing yourself off.

That said, I think GoT is one of the most faithful adaptions I've seen yet, if you compare the changes they make to this to the changes (for instance) made to Lord of The Rings in it's movie adaption I believe we can count ourselves pretty lucky with GoT.

Eidan

It think it's just inevitable that a thread like this will be nothing but book-show comparisons. It's the reason why there's a non-book reader thread.

It's not even that I'm a purist or anything, but the showrunners are both not nearly talented or respectful enough to handle the transition from the source material to the screen.

I think they do a pretty good job overall. You just have to go into it with the mindset that the characters and events on the show are not the same as in the book.

anaron

People have got to stop being so focussed on comparing Book and TV series. They can never ever fit all the nuances and scenes from the book into the TV show. Neither will they ever adapt the story exactly as you would adapt it, neither would you adapt exactly as I would adapt it. It can't be done.

Either enjoy both seperately and understand this simple fact, or don't consume any adaptions, because you're just pissing yourself off for no other reason than pissing yourself off.

That said, I think GoT is one of the most faithful adaptions I've seen yet, if you compare the changes they make to this to the changes (for instance) made to Lord of The Rings in it's movie adaption I believe we can count ourselves pretty lucky with GoT.

See though, everything in LOTR was crafted out of pure love. The art direction, music, (that alone told its own gorgeous story) the sets, it all breathed "middle earth" and captured the essence of the books perfectly and made up for anything they didn't include.

EktorPR

See though, everything in LOTR was crafted out of pure love. The art direction, music, (that alone told its own gorgeous story) the sets, it all breathed "middle earth" and captured the essence of the books perfectly and made up for anything they didn't include.

That same argument could be applied to Game of Thrones. The art direction is fantastic, music, costumes (!!), sets (!!!)... And all with a fraction of the budget that LOTR had.

TCRS

Banned
tumblr_mknbrvQQ0a1qzf32ko1_500.png

lol

the pic:

CassSept

nope

...but I can see it for Jon and Dany tho

[ASOS]
I can see it for Catelyn more than Jon. Her chapters became nearly unbearable in ASOS when she started slipping and it devolved into constant wallowing "oh no my Ned is dead all my children are dead poor Sansa, poor Brann, I'm a terrible mother terrible this terrible that oh Robb listen to me why are you not listening I'm such a terrible mother dark wings dark words oh God no".

(I can't remember exact quotes, would have to sift through my posts in ASoIaF thread, but that was the general gist of it)

[AFFC]
The real bore of the series is Brienne in AFFC. God damn.

[ASOS][AFFC]
The real bore of the series is Brienne in AFFC. God damn.

The first half of her chapters in AFFC are boring. As soon as she meets up with Meribald her story gets really good. Meribald's speech is the best thing in AFFC, possibly the entire series.

They will soften Arya's arc, just as they are softening Tyrion's.

No disagreement here, it has already happened.

(ASOS)
That being said, there are plenty of moments in ASOS that they could redeem her character with for this season I think. As for Tyrion, his character has been altered more for budgetary reasons more than anything else in my opinion. Tyrion has had some great interaction with characters that we never see in the books. The problem with Arya is she is still to young to have her portray some of the darker elements she tackles on screen because apparently american society can't handle that stuff..

anaron

That same argument could be applied to Game of Thrones. The art direction is fantastic, music, costumes (!!), sets (!!!)... And all with a fraction of the budget that LOTR had.

ym19K.gif

ETA: What I'm trying to say is, for any shortcoming the LOTR trilogy had, it made up for it through basically everything else. I know it's not fair to compare a film to a television production but I'm also not trying to; I just strongly believe there's a definite lack of vision and strong writing voice when it comes to this show.

Yonafunu

It is funny how the book versions of a lot of characters in my head are gone forever now. I think the biggest differences for me are Robert, Stannis, Jorah, Jon and now Mance.

Actually, Theon, Tywin, Cat and Sansa are all pretty different than who I had pictured, but I actually prefer the show versions to who I had pictured. Littlefinger, too.

Margery and Arya are about the same as I pictured except both actresses have such unique faces, I didn't specifically envision that, but they've now permanently erased whatever I had before, and I don't mind at all. Ned too, they were all similar but way more generic.

I actually expected the same thing to happen to a lot of people, but thankfully it hasn't happened to me. I can perfectly seperate the book from the series, so when I read the books I don't see the show's version of the characters, I see my own (the book) version.
It doesn't mean the show's versions are not as good, it's just that they're different.
And that's fine. It's called an adaptation for a reason.
My opinion and feelings about the show don't influence those about the books either.

About Shae, ASOS
just man up and let freaking Tyrion kill her. Come on.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Is it only me who pronounces Harrenhal as it Harren-HAL (not hall)?

I don't see how 'hal' is pronounced hall :\

Late to this, but you'll notice that there's no consistency throughout the show for a number of names. Harrenhal (HAL/Hall), Sansa (Sanza/Sanssa), Theon, Cersei, Maester... Pronunciations are all over the place.

Levi

Banned
Why, in a thread for book readers, are people spoiler tagging stuff from Clash? It doesn't spoil the show for nonreaders, so why bother? If anyone here considers events from Clash a spoiler, you're in the wrong thread.

In season two, they completely removed Catelyn's motivation for releasing Jamie, but they went ahead and had her do it anyway. ASOS / Season Four
They might change everything about Shae but she will still be in Tywin's chamber when Tyrion makes the decision to confront his father one last time.

Maybe it's because I've read the series through about onve a year for the last decade-plus, but no major character has had their TV version supplant my internal view of their character. Only minor characters with little characterization in the books are affected. For example, I can't read the scene in Clash about the ship captains daughter and Theon without seeing the actress from the show, lol. But once Asha shows up, I don't think about Yara at all.

I think the fact that different people are attached to/identify with different characters is the number one reason why this series is so popular, because there is somebody in the books for everyone.

I for one, think ALL of the characters are interesting. I don't get people who say "Sansa is boring, Arya is awesome" any more than I get people who say "Arya is boring, Sansa is relateable".

They are both beautifully written characters for different reasons. I think they are both awesome. I personally prefer Arya but I find Sansa fascinating.

ym19K.gif

ETA: What I'm trying to say is, for any shortcoming the LOTR trilogy had, it made up for it through basically everything else. I know it's not fair to compare a film to a television production but I'm also not trying to; I just strongly believe there's a definite lack of vision and strong writing voice when it comes to this show.

The only shortcoming the LOTR movies had was that it was a movie trilogy. Had somebody given them the same budget and asked for a 3 season long TV show. It would have been spectacular. A story like that simply cannot be told in 9 hours without losing a huge amount in the adaptation. The advantage GOT has over LOTR is that it simply has more time to tell the story.

The only shortcoming the LOTR movies had was that it was a movie trilogy. Had somebody given them the same budget and asked for a 3 season long TV show. It would have been spectacular. A story like that simply cannot be told in 9 hours without losing a huge amount in the adaptation. The advantage GOT has over LOTR is that it simply has more time to tell the story.

Its more like 12 hours when you include the Extended editions :p

Wiktor

It helped though that LOTR books were pretty damn mediocre, so there was a lot of fat to be cut out.

Trasher

I think it works just as well if Tywin/Cersei end up killing Shae and prompting Tyrion's revenge. It makes him more sympathetic to the viewer as well.

ASoS
If Tyrion doesn't kill Shae, I'm gonna be really disappointed in the show. It's such an important event in Tyrion's arc for him to see her there in his father's bed. I hope she wears the Hand's necklace as well...

Has HBO confirmed that (I'm probably being overly cautious, just asking about an actor who was in S1 and if he's back for S3)
David Bradley will be back as Walder Frey this season
?

Sansa's chapters from the books were usually among my favorite. They showed a lot of the machinations at King's Landing and gave insight into a lot of great side characters like the Hound.

Dany

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";52507692]Any time there was a Sansa, Catelyn, Jon or Daenerys chapter in the books, my mind just shuts down. So boring.[/QUOTE]

Oh dude come on. Thats like half the book right there.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The actor's fault, not the show. He wanted to leave for a movie role that conflicted

They could have brought Stevens back though for season 3. The new guy is straight up awful.

Trasher

Wait, why is he not in Season 3? [ACOK/ASOS]
They didn't depict Osha taking Rickon and separating in the show so... What the?

[All series]
Hard to say what will happen because they really seem to like having Osha in the show, but then that leaves the problem of dealing with where Rickon has to go. I'm guessing they get split up in this coming episode, but I'm not so sure Osha will leave Bran's party. Before Meera and Jojen were announced, I had assumed Osha was just going to fill in for them. So what do you guys think? Maybe some random northerners loyal to the Starks will take Rickon away to be kept safe.

What is the last we even know of Rickon and Osha in the books? Just that they are supposedly chilling at Skagos unknowingly waiting for Davos?

Hindle

Banned
I'm impressed with how the show portrays Margery Tyrell. She's so underused in the books. Not to mention Natalie Dormer is so hot.

Lothar

Banned
I haven't said my thoughts on the episode yet. I thought it was very good and this is coming from someone who disliked episodes 7, 8, and 10 of the last season.

Positives: First of all, there was no exposition or sexposition. Jon's scene with Mance was well done. Jon already looks more capable and his story is more intruging than it was for the entirety of Season 2. I thought his explanation for switching sides was actually more convincing than in the books. I didn't mind Ros for once. Astapor looked wonderful. Tywin/Tyrion was outstanding - Dance absolutely nailed it, that was one of my favorite scenes of the series. (Although I think it goes to show how pointless it was making Tywin into a nice guy for Season 2) Dany talking to the slaver, and the scene where Davos gets imprisoned were both strong. I liked the new Margery visiting the orphanage scene and I liked the way they showed tension between her and Cersei. There were giants and dragons.

Negatives: Tyrion talking to Cersei was unnecessary. Bronn with the prostitute and confronting the guards was unnecessary. While still great as it was, Davos's part felt a bit rushed, the time spent on Cersei and Bronn could have been better used going to Davos. Or perhaps making the Tywin/Tyrion scene longer.

Not showing the battle between the wights and the Night's Watch is a big letdown. I would let that slide if not for the fact that they teased it in the end of Season 2. If you're not going to let the dead army do anything, please for the love of gods don't show them in a cliffhanger. People waited a year for that. Something should have been shown even if it was just a handful of walkers like in the Series premiere. I'd take just showing the Night's Watch fleeing in terror with the walkers obscured by snow. I'd take extreme closups of the Night's Watch running and dying. I'd take Sam in a tent frantically worrying over ravens while there's sounds of fighting and panic outside. It was lazy, cheap, and a copout to not show anything at all. This was a slow episode that kind of needed that bit of action in the beginning so everyone would be okay with not much else really happening. Similar to the first episode of the series. Also I've seen non-book readers come away from that scene not even realizing a battle happened or thinking that the NW won that fight. That's pretty pretty damn terrible. However, other than that it was a solid episode.

Snake

Not showing the battle between the wights and the Night's Watch is a big letdown. I would let that slide if not for the fact that they teased it in the end of Season 2. If you're not going to let the dead army do anything, please for the love of gods don't show them in a cliffhanger. People waited a year for that. Something should have been shown even if it was just a handful of walkers like in the Series premiere. I'd take just showing the Night's Watch fleeing in terror with the walkers obscured by snow. I'd take extreme closups of the Night's Watch running and dying. I'd take Sam in a tent frantically worrying over ravens while there's sounds of fighting and panic outside. It was lazy, cheap, and a copout to not show anything at all. This was a slow episode that kind of needed that bit of action in the beginning so everyone would be okay with not much else really happening. Similar to the first episode of the series. Also I've seen non-book readers come away from that scene not even realizing a battle happened or thinking that the NW won that fight. That's pretty pretty damn terrible. However, other than that it was a solid episode.

This was my major letdown as well.

ASOS spoilers / episode titles -
However I'm still holding out hope that there will be something along these lines in the third episode "Walk of Punishment."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom