• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vyer

Great episode. Show is at another level right now. This is why I enjoy it for what it is and don't let book comparisons get in the way. It stands on its own at this point.

Massa

When they used the "dracarys" moment in S2, I was annoyed, because... you know. I was also greatly annoyed at the stupid dragon theft plot and "where are mah dragons!!!" nonsense. Now I see I was right:

[ASoS]
"How lame would it be though, for this guy to give her all the Unsullied and then Dany just says that chant and has the Slaver burned?"
"Nobody with half a brain believes that Dany is going to give away one of her babies. Also, using them to burn the slave trader would be a bit trite."

So, by planting the idea that Dany would never ever part with a dragon at any cost, and spoiling the wonderful "dracarys" moment too early, it appears they will turn one of Dany's best scenes into a trite and predictable one. Way to go, showrunners. :\

Now I see you were wrong.

Dany

Banned
Her name is Daenerys Targaryen, Dany Stormborn, Mother of Dragons, Khalessi of the Dorthraki, Freer of Slaves, True Heir of the Seven Kingdoms, Princess of Dragonstone, Girl with Blonde Hair, Queen of the Andels and the Iron Throne, Queen across the Sea

God LORD, how many friekin names does she have?

balddemon

Banned
is arya anyone elses favorite character? to me, her storyline and that of danaryous (sic lol) stormborn are the coolest and most exciting. tyrion is a close 2nd.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Sweet, this season finally kicked off. That was a very nice episode, with a badass ending.

Defunkled

Have G.R.R.M. or HBO ever expressed interest in a prequel series? I'd kill for a live-action version of
Robert vs. Rhaegar.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
tE2Cd.gif

Her name is Daenerys Targaryen, Dany Stormborn, Mother of Dragons, Khalessi of the Dorthraki, Freer of Slaves, True Heir of the Seven Kingdoms, Princess of Dragonstone, Girl with Blonde Hair, Queen of the Andels and the Iron Throne, Queen across the Sea

God LORD, how many friekin names does she have?

Don't forget Dragon Girl.

tumblr_mawslvYitB1r0udeeo1_1280.jpg

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Looking forward to watching this. All the talk of cool Daenerys is good to see, even if it's predictable where her story arc is going. My housemates fucking loathe her character, and I'm personally not fond of Emilia Clarke's acting. I haven't read the books, but I get the feeling the essence of what her character is supposed to be (abused, and burdened with a sense of commitment and expectation of her bloodline) isn't communicated very well in the series.

Looking forward to watching this. All the talk of cool Daenerys is good to see, even if it's predictable where her story arc is going. My housemates fucking loathe her character, and I'm personally not fond of Emilia Clarke's acting. I haven't read the books, but I get the feeling the essence of what her character is supposed to be (abused, and burdened with a sense of commitment and expectation of her bloodline) isn't communicated very well in the series.

I think this is the first episode where I was legitimately impressed with her acting. I thought she was decent in season 1, but I thought she was pretty weak in season 2. She was fucking great in this episode though.

hoos30

Have G.R.R.M. or HBO ever expressed interest in a prequel series? I'd kill for a live-action version of
Robert vs. Rhaegar.

Makes so much sense that it will never happen. Like a Halo movie.

However, if GRRM doesn't get his ass in gear and finish the last two books, HBO may not have a choice except to do a prequel season or two. (wishful thinking)

Fey

Banned
holy shit emilia was amazing. they absolutely nailed that scene. the unsullied marching + the music gave me goosebumps.

Saterium

Kinda interesting how... (Littlefinger related)

Series
They essentially confirm Littlefingers will marry Sansa and rally the north behind her claim. I don't think that's been made as painfully obvious in any of the books, even though that's probably the path in which he's heading

Fantastic episode. Watched with non-viewers who kinda predicted what was gonna go down with Dany, but still that sequence was beautiful from start to finish.

Poor Old Bear...

Fey

Banned
Kinda interesting how... (Littlefinger related)

ASOS/AFFC
Yeah, unless I'm mistaken/stupid, there were little to no hints that LF was involved in the plan to get Sansa out of KL in the book. The show is basically screaming, "Sansa will escape with LF who will use her to win the north!!!"

And they also foreshadowed Robb's death there in the Varys/Olenna scene, I think. "Should Robb fall, Sansa is the key ..."

Dysun

Probably why there was talk before the season aired by Sophie Turner that books fans would be in for a surprise where it concerns her.

Jeels

I really hate the idea of marrying Loras to Sansa. The whole irony of her character is that she's always paired with people who are the reversal of her preconceptions of royalty and knighthood (Joffrey, Sandor). Loras is pretty much her dream guy. Oh well.

I think the fact that he doesn't actually like women is enough irony. His scene with Sansa this season is pretty hilarious already, so if there's more of that, I'm down.

Anyone else that read the books disappointed at (asos)
The prospect of Sansa marrying Loras? I always considered the prospect of Willas to be a slap in the face to Sansa and one of the factors to her leaving with Dontos. I guess they are playing up the idea that when he joins the Kings Guard, she'll have no other choice but to head out with littlefinger...

brentech

I really really enjoyed the episode. Fucking awesome. Grinning ear to ear at the end, they had the sequence play out real well.

Now I see you were wrong.

as he/she usually is

The show also fails to establish that often just how big the armies in Westeros are. 8000 unmounted troops aren't that much in the grand scheme of things.

maybe they should spend a whole season counting troops. it might make it more real. hey, maybe all the "writers" in here could write that season. counting shouldn't be too tough to write.

haha, great episode. awesome to see dany wreak some shit.

Fey

Banned
Thinking about it, asos/ffc/dwd
I'm really curious as to how they'll handle Sansa's story ... both in the show and books ... does this mean varys knows sansa is in the eyrie in the books? or is it just for the show? because as far as we know in the books, only LF is aware of sansa's whereabouts ... and considering varys has guessed LF will use her for the north, it's odd that he hasn't done anything about it, especially when he's supporting aegon ... perhaps this is hinting at WoW? because we haven't really seen much from sansa's story after she escapes KL ...

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Dianna Rigg is the season 3 MVP. She's absolutely perfect in the role and she's stealing every scene she's in. I loved her little rendezvous with Varys. Those two play off each other magnificently.

Again with this "Pod has a big dick" shit? Where are they going with that? Are they going anywhere with that? Why would Ros discuss it with Varys (btw (ASOS)
what is Littlefinger going to do to Ros when he finds out she's Varys' spy? ;O
) if it wasn't more than what it appears to be? They can't be wasting our time on something so irrelevant could they?

The scene with Arya, The Hound, and The Brotherhood was great. I thought they nailed it. I was enjoying it so much that I was really disappointed when they cut away before (ASOS)
Beric and The Hound could fight,
even though I knew what was coming next with Daenerys. I almost wish they had pushed Dany's scene into to episode 5 just so we could have spent the rest of the episode with The Brotherhood. I thought they had a lot of momentum, but then they lost it all by cutting away. (ASOS)
The scene where The Hound kills Beric and then Thoros brings him back would have made for an awesome ending.

But yeah, that last scene was pretty thrilling. It's one of my favorite scenes from the books and I thought they did it justice. It was easily Emilia Clarke's best scene on the show to date, both in terms of acting and writing. "WHERE ARE MAH DRAGONZ?!" looks even worse now in hindsight.

It was awesome to see Drogon flying around roasting fools, and that final shot of the Unsullied marching out of Astapor with the three dragons flying overhead was epic as fuck.

Oh no, I meant my family's reaction to the event itself. They didn't handle what happened during that scene very well. Lots of yelling, some tears. The way they presented the event was good.

Your family cried when the Old Bear was killed? He really made that much of an impression on them? Whoa.

The prospect of Sansa marrying Loras? I always considered the prospect of Willas to be a slap in the face to Sansa and sort of the factors to her leaving with Dontos. I guess they are playing up the idea that when he joins the Kings Guard, she'll have no other choice...

Nah, I'm okay with it. Sansa has always had a crush on Loras, so of course (ASOS)
she'll be crushed when the Lannisters marry her off to Tyrion instead.

LordCanti

The prospect of Sansa marrying Loras? I always considered the prospect of Willas to be a slap in the face to Sansa and one of the factors to her leaving with Dontos. I guess they are playing up the idea that when he joins the Kings Guard, she'll have no other choice but to head out with littlefinger...

I think they did the right thing. (Series spoilers)
She gets married off before the Tyrell's can marry her into the family anyway, and Willas's Dad still lives, so there's little chance of Willas ever being important to the story again. It made sense to just cut him in favor of Loras. Since Loras is gay, it's kind of just as big of a slap.

pulga

Banned
What a fucking episode. Even knowing what Dany was up to, I got complete chills listening her deliver dat epic speech in "perfect" Valyrian.

The Tyrells were awesome, Varys was awesome, Theon, Jamie & Brienne hnnngg

I love this fucking show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom