• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the entire season is already better than s2. The source material is better, and their focus is smaller (instead of 800 pages or so, they have half of a 1000 pageish book) and it's written and directed and edited much better.

Was the Varys story ever in ASOS? I vaguely remember him telling tyrion about it but i don't think he ever got the guy who did it? it's been a while tho.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
iGGvgBA7Jv75l.gif

I've seen quite a few people (in here and also in the no book spoiler thread) say that (ASOS)
something looked off about Catelyn in that scene, saying that she looked dead or very ill, and speculating why she was wearing a scarf over her neck (which isn't even that prominent or noticeable),
but she looks the same as always to me. Hmmm.

Trasher

I've seen quite a few people (in here and also in the no book spoiler thread) say that (ASOS)
something looked off about Catelyn in that scene, saying that she looked dead or very ill, and speculating why she was wearing a scarf over her neck (which isn't even that prominent or noticeable),

It's because of how pale they made her face look. It looks like they altered it in post or something to make it super white.

Massa

ASOS
As far as her outfit that was probably some cunt trying to tease non-book readers. Cat is wearing the exact same outfit in Harrenhal in episode #2.

http://i.imgur.com/gqlVcmh.jpg

RaidenZR

Yeah, same here. [AGOT/ASOS]
1) she's old and 2) there was green light refraction from the leaves. It's a case of people seeing stuff that wasn't there, I'm afraid. That said, the scene was disturbing and scary and a good nod for book readers with the "Promise Me..." repetition.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That's why I'm thinking they are book readers pretending not to be.

lol, that's the one thing I found a bit too cheesy right here. I kinda laughed at that, though I cheered for all the rest.

Hmmm, thing is, is it me, or does the series diverge A LOT from the book regarding Daenery's plot in Meeren. I mean, I might be wrong, but it does look as if

ASOS

Daenerys has opted to outright destroy Meeren and moving on with her voyage rather than sitting down and rule there. This is something that I do want to happen. The show correcting some of the narrative traps that Martin brought into himself would be all kinds of awesome, I swear by the gods

Dude that is not going to happen LOL. [series]
We aren't at Meereen yet, and probably won't see it in S3 at all, just S4.

Was anyone else reminded of [AGOT/Series]
Promise Me, Ned!
during bran's dream?
I was.

Show/ASOS
Roose is at Harrenhal... and yes to the other question. I don't think they were kids in the book, however.

Yes, they were kids. Young squires, no more than about fourteen of age.

cj_iwakura

Did anyone think that the story about that oat disease was [Series]
a reference to Greyscale? Bring on Stannis Jr. already!

FStop7

Banned

ASOS and just some comments about the non-book thread in general -

That post set off my bullshit detector in a big way. I mean, it is possible that the person who posted that speculation is very observant, but he/she nailed a bunch of stuff so well it screamed troll. Just enough deniability to not get in trouble. And I didn't want to call him out on it because it would confirm his speculation and ruin things for everyone else. I think at least one other person already reported that post to a mod, but like I said it's got just enough vagueness to it where the poster could deny having any knowledge.

On another note. I like Ros a lot more now that she's sly and cunning. When she was The Sex Tourist of Westeros she was annoying.

CorvoSol

I actually really liked Dany's scene in this episode, it's one of my favorite moments from the books. And of course more Varys and Tyrion is good, too.

Soo he's just going to keep the possibly powerful warlock in a box and it'll never be mentioned again?

I thought it was abundantly clear from all the revenge talk that that warlock was not long for the world.

Weapxn

Mikkelsexual
Did anyone think that the story about that oat disease was [Series]
a reference to Greyscale? Bring on Stannis Jr. already!
I clocked that too, but I think that's just because we know what that is. It's referenced throughout the books, especially the third. It's probably just us making loose connections.

Fey

Banned

Someone in the no spoiler thread said that? That's ... really odd of them.

Hystzen

It odd how much they fucking up Sam so far this season

No Sam The Slayer
Skipping the whole fist of men screwed up showing how messed up walkers and why Sam would be scared
no talking to Jeor at his death

of course it not as messed up as Stannis one my favorite in book but geez in the show WTF are they thinking

exYle

No Sam The Slayer
Skipping the whole fist of men screwed up showing how messed up walkers and why Sam would be scared

of course it not as messed up as Stannis one my favorite in book but geez in the show WTF are they thinking

You really think they're going to remove Sam the Slayer? Really?
I understand that it's out of order but you're making quite the assumption there.

Yeah, that seems like a pretty big (and unnecessary) departure from the books...

If it's non-consequential, then it's not big, and if it helps or reinforces people's perception of Varys as a powerful string-puller, then it's not unnecessary.
Sometimes the book purists annoy me.

No Sam The Slayer

Spoiler tag that first one to be safe. I still think its coming.

Someone in this thread made me confident they can fix show Stannis with literally one line. ASOS
At the Wall: Surprisingly, Stannis smiled at that. “You’re bold enough to be a Stark. Yes, I should have come sooner. If not for my Hand, I might not have come at all. Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.” Stannis pointed north. “There is where I’ll find the foe that I was born to fight.”
They do that and I get my Stannis back.

Hystzen

Spoiler tag that first one to be safe. I still think its coming.

Someone in this thread made me confident they can fix show Stannis with literally one line. ASOS
At the Wall: Surprisingly, Stannis smiled at that. “You’re bold enough to be a Stark. Yes, I should have come sooner. If not for my Hand, I might not have come at all. Lord Seaworth is a man of humble birth, but he reminded me of my duty, when all I could think of was my rights. I had the cart before the horse, Davos said. I was trying to win the throne to save the kingdom, when I should have been trying to save the kingdom to win the throne.” Stannis pointed north. “There is where I’ll find the foe that I was born to fight.”
They do that and I get my Stannis back.

it seems they setting up that by sending Mellisandre off this episode even then it going to come off as her idea. Too much damage been done I want cold and cynical stannis who actually has the best claim on throne ignoring Dany instead we got obsessed with making shadow demon babies with Mel.

(of course Mel is damn fine so nothing wrong with it but he just coming of as a desperate fool)

Purkake4

Banned
If it's non-consequential, then it's not big, and if it helps or reinforces people's perception of Varys as a powerful string-puller, then it's not unnecessary.
Sometimes the book purists annoy me.
Less about book purism and more about adding random things.

[ADWD spoilers]
Wasn't Varys' search for the warlock one of the reasons he shoots Kevin and makes a run for it at the end of ADWD?

[ADWD spoilers]
Wasn't Varys' search for the warlock one of the reasons he shoots Kevin and makes a run for it at the end of ADWD?

Negative. ADWD
It was all to fuck Kings Landing and clear the way for Aegon.

And yeah I hate the Stannis stuff now too, but that change doesn't bother me too much, as it's for the same end, and that scene I spoiler tagged would explain away much of what's bothering me thus far.

exYle

But that's the nature of book purism. Obviously we, as book readers, fully understand the characterizations of each of the individuals tromping about in the show. But show watchers don't. In my opinion, showing Varys' potential penchant for using violence as a means instead of just always trickery, the show watchers understand the extent of his capability.

Hmh ADWD
I guess it might be a setup to hint at his more sinister nature as per the end of ADWD, but it does seem a bit like an afterthought for what should be a huge character moment.

I just think this speaks to how much bits of the other books may start bleeding into this and next season, and as I've said before, we're gonna catch GRRM way sooner than we think.

Hystzen

The fact we already had Dany take Astapor shows some plots will be sped up

I'm curious what happens now with her they won't just remove her from show, I expected Astapor be finale not this early. They going have the talking scenes with Barristan now and in finale have her being approached by armies of Yunkai?

Zabka

But that's the nature of book purism. Obviously we, as book readers, fully understand the characterizations of each of the individuals tromping about in the show. But show watchers don't. In my opinion, showing Varys' potential penchant for using violence as a means instead of just always trickery, the show watchers understand the extent of his capability.

Funny you say that. I find lots of book readers bring tons of extra baggage into their interpretations and often proclaim characters to be "wrong" when they are perfectly consistent with their onscreen portrayal.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
More than Danny, I wonder what they're going to do with Theon.

Series
I get why they're showing his torture, it makes sense, but it's going so fast. I expected Ramsay and him to be alone for a few episodes, not just one. We're 4 episodes in, what are they going to do for the rest of the season, and next? Just have him be tortured non-stop? I think they missed out on a great opportunity to fake out the audience, and I don't think they should have even showed Theon until midway through the season. Let Ramsay free him, and then have his recapture be the end of Theon's arc this season. As it is, there's not much for them to do. He goes to Moat Calin, but then what? Nothing happen until Jeyne Pool shows up. I'm guessing she's not even being sent to Winterfell this season since we haven't heard about casting news (I can't imagine they'd use the same actress from season 1).

Dysun

I thought she looked pretty pale and almost ghoulish when I first watched it last night. Doesn't look too pale in that gif though. The guy calling out the scarf speculation in the other thread reeks of Conor419-like bullshit though.

exYle

Funny you say that. I find lots of book readers bring tons of extra baggage into their interpretations and often proclaim characters to be "wrong" when they are perfectly consistent with their onscreen portrayal.

Very true. Perhaps a better way to phrase that would be that book-readers have a very clear personal perception of the characterizations of the individuals in the show.

More than Danny, I wonder what they're going to do with Theon.

Series
I get why they're showing his torture, it makes sense, but it's going so fast. I expected Ramsay and him to be alone for a few episodes, not just one. We're 4 episodes in, what are they going to do for the rest of the season, and next? Just have him be tortured non-stop? I think they missed out on a great opportunity to fake out the audience, and I don't think they should have even showed Theon until midway through the season. Let Ramsay free him, and then have his recapture be the end of Theon's arc this season. As it is, there's not much for them to do. He goes to Moat Calin, but then what? Nothing happen until Jeyne Pool shows up. I'm guessing she's not even being sent to Winterfell this season since we haven't heard about casting news (I can't imagine they'd use the same actress from season 1).

adwd
They just need to show him getting his finger skin flayed then either being castrated at the end of the season or biting off his flayed finger. Next season he will start to become Reek.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
adwd
They just need to show him getting his finger skin flayed then either being castrated at the end of the season or biting off his flayed finger. Next season he will start to become Reek.

ADWD
Yeah, but a season and a half of him just being fucked with and tortured. I know they need to establish just how much Theon is going to be fucked it, but it just seems to fast.

Massa

ADWD
Yeah, but a season and a half of him just being fucked with and tortured. I know they need to establish just how much Theon is going to be fucked it, but it just seems to fast.

SERIES
They'll probably slow down once they move the Bolton focus to Roose, but it's important to use all 10 episodes to paint what a low life scum house they are.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
SERIES
They'll probably slow down once they move the Bolton focus to Roose, but it's important to use all 10 episodes to paint what a low life scum house they are.

series
Well, the red wedding will do that instantly for Roose, and I think in just 4 episodes they've established it for Ramsay. Like I said, I think it would have been more effective to leave Theon totally out of it for a few episodes, let people think he's dead. Not to mention I think they could have gotten another episode out of the Theon and Ramsay road trip.

Speevy

Banned
(slight series)

Having not read the book but knowing far more than I should, I have to ask this.
What is the difference in necromancy across this series? It seems like in some characters die and come back as vengeful versions of their former selves, while others come back as mindless monsters. Does it have to do with the type of magic used?

Iksenpets

Banned
ADWD

[DwD]
I don't think Theon will be on screen for season four. They'll show him lose a finger or two and find out about Robb's death, for which he'll blame himself, and maybe get castrated here in season 3, all the while his interrogation by Ramsay digging deeper into his psyche, and then cut away in season 4 to focus on the other Greyjoys and the Kingsmoot. Then he can resurface in season 5 as Bolton comes to retake the North fully transformed into Reek. That avoids the trouble of having to show the moment he turns into Reek, while still letting the viewer see enough of his suffering and his guilt and his desire not to be Theon the Turncloak anymore that they can extrapolate out from that what his ordeal in season 4 must have been like so that the Reek transformation will make sense to them.

(slight series)

Having not read the book but knowing far more than I should, I have to ask this.
What is the difference in necromancy across this series? It seems like in some characters die and come back as vengeful versions of their former selves, while others come back as mindless monsters. Does it have to do with the type of magic used?
How are those slight spoilers?

[DwD]
I don't think Theon will be on screen for season four. They'll show him lose a finger or two and find out about Robb's death, for which he'll blame himself, and maybe get castrated here in season 3, all the while his interrogation by Ramsay digging deeper into his psyche, and then cut away in season 4 to focus on the other Greyjoys and the Kingsmoot. Then he can resurface in season 5 as Bolton comes to retake the North fully transformed into Reek. That avoids the trouble of having to show the moment he turns into Reek, while still letting the viewer see enough of his suffering and his guilt and his desire not to be Theon the Turncloak anymore that they can extrapolate out from that what his ordeal in season 4 must have been like so that the Reek transformation will make sense to them.
I reckon they are going to pussy out on the whole thing

Dysun

Series
There is no way they leave Alfie Allen out for a year. No way.

Agree, he's not going anywhere. We are going to see Ramsay fuck with his body and mind pretty bad. I fully expect to see him be turned into Reek now. Season 3 - Escape/Flaying, Season 4 - Reek/Moat Cailin

torontoml

ASOS and Beyond
Are they going to show the Stark children warg abilities or just talk about Bran's or do they become more prevalent after the Red Wedding?

Talon

I mean,
Jaime wasn't who we think of him now until the realization that he probably saved thousands of commoners' lives with his "terrible, traitorous" act.
The people that have only seen the show
aren't really aware of the Mad King's wickedness and how Jaime's appointment was partially a petty stab at Tywin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom