• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Nope,
Need a gif of Danny at the end with the smoke all around her then walking off as Jorah tried to approach her.

iijj8YY4mJrA9.gif

CassSept

BOSS

Another fantastic episode. Proves once again that part of Season 2's failings was not only limited time (10 episodes for 950+ pages instead of 800) but also weaker source material. Even if Jon's storyline is almost irreparable right now, ASOS is making for some great television. Dracarys was amazing.

[ADWD]
RAMSAY IS INCREDIBLE. That face he was making when Theon was being tied back to the cross. My my.

PS. During first Varys scene I couldn't help but to think back to this Cracked article.

I've rewatched the scene a dozen times at this point.

It is just indescribably awesome.

I was only paying half attention, but then she stepped forward and that music started playing... Man, I already knew what was going to happen, but I still just dropped everything and reveled in the sheer awesomeness of it.

I have to disagree on Dany, I don't think her story needs any significant changes. Things will be skipped and condensed, which is the same for every other character in the show, but I see no reason for drastic changes.

Full series spoilers
We know Dany's arc this season will end with her decimating the Yunkai and freeing the slaves, who proclaim her as their mother. Next season will therefore be the Jorah betrayal and her campaign to conquer Mereen, ending with her deciding to rule the city. Basically for the rest of this season and next season she'll be in full fire & blood mode, and even people who don't like Dany tend to admit her arc in ASOS was great.

The alleged problem arises in ADWD. Based on the no spoilers thread, twitter, and non-readers at work, I get the impression there are mixed views on where Dany is going. Some believe she "clearly" is going to head to Westeros at the end of this season and either take the throne or head to the Wall (to kill the Others). Others argue that her army and dragons are too small to conquer Westeros right now, and she therefore must build an army; most also tend to agree that she isn't the greatest leader and needs to learn the game.

I think Dany's arc in ADWD would work well on television, cutting out some of the fat from the book and creating something like this:

-Dany struggles as Queen, realizes Drogon is murdering children
-Unsullied begin to be murdered, the Harpy conspiracy emerges
-Loraq offers to end the violence in exchange for Dany's hand in marriage
-Yunkai and the free cities declare war on Mereen
-Quentyn Martell reveals himself, gets rejected, attempts to tame a dragon
-Dany finally relents and agrees to marry Loraq; violence ends
-Assassination attempt is made on Dany
-Dany escapes the Pit on Drogon
-Loraq takes over Mereen, Barriston leads coup; Missandei semi-rules city in Dany's stead
-Dany stumbles through wilderness, learns to control Drogo, stumbles across Khal Pono

I think that would work on television. And while some would be disappointed, I think ultimately there would be enough action and drama to satisfy most; the show has always been more exposition and drama than action. However I'll readily admit there's a danger in not giving viewers what they want over a prolonged period of time. You could end up with a Sopranos situation where people are passively watching a prolonged season, waiting for something to happen...and then when it doesn't happen they get upset/disappointed. That's going to apply to many storylines in the series, but if handled correctly the writers could avoid it.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Ramsay Question,

So he helped Theon escaped Stark, killed the pursuers(Stark's men), then brought him back to Stark's men? If this is true then why?

Brashnir

Ramsay Question,

So he helped Theon escaped Stark, killed the pursuers(Stark's men), then brought him back to Stark's men? If this is true then why?

ADWD
He took Theon from Winterfell after surrounding it with his men. He's been torturing and messing with Theon since, even going to far as to kill his own men. Ramsay is a twisted individual.

Trasher

Ramsay Question,

[All series]
There is no evidence that those are Stark men. They are most likely Bolton men judging by the response of them knowing who he is (aka the guy saying "You little bastard.") I would put my money on them being at the Dreadfort as well.

balddemon

Banned
DAT ENDING.

I thought you guys were hyping it up, but NO! that was fucking amazing. good lord.

edit: I don't know what to do now. maybe read the books? maybe I should have started the wire first and finished that, because now just knowing I have to wait 6 more weeks to finish this season, plus however long in between seasons....ugh.

Altazor

Ramsay Question,

[ADWD spoilers!!!]
He's a sick fuck. And I don't think those were Stark soldiers, I'm pretty sure they're Bolton's. It's just that Ramsay doesn't give a fuck: it's all a twisted power game for him. They're just tools to use, they're at his disposal and his current objective seems to be breaking Theon's mind (and body) just for the pleasure of it. He's that sick.

Trasher

What about it?

Just think it's humorous that that they immediately start disliking the BWB just because they follow the Lord of Light. Beric's a badass. How could you ever "aww maaaaaan" him?!

Uh-huh. I audibly groaned. I thought they'd be all badass, not serving anyone, but bam! 'We serve the Lord of Light'. Fuck off with that bullshit. :(

Beric is eyepatch man, right? He's obviously crazy as he thinks he is going to win against the Hound. He will rip him in two. The stuff he did last season while protecting Sansa was awesome!

Just another thought: If Sansa had gone with the Hound, she'd be with Arya now. The god's seemingly hate her. :L

Maybe they are confused and think the Lord of Light is Stannis?

ronito

So I remember Varys's story about the sorcerer and the flame and such at least I think I do but in the books did he actually find the sorcerer?

Also while I actually love the bits they've added in I do think they're really screwing up the Sansa arch.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Just think it's humorous that that they immediately start disliking the BWB just because they follow the Lord of Light. Beric's a badass. How could you ever "aww maaaaaan" him?!

To be fair, that was a pretty short introduction for him. I though the beat where he reveals that the Hound will be fighting him could've been stronger, 'cuz you know (ASOS)
dude has already died a few times already.

Trasher

To be fair, that was a pretty short introduction for him. I though the beat where he reveals that The Hound will be fighting him could've been stronger, 'cuz you know (ASOS)
dude has already died a few times already.

Yeah I really hope in the next episode they discuss [ASoS]
his previous experiences with the Mountain

Raist

Banned
I'm kind of starting to wonder where this show is gonna go in 2-3 years. It already starts to feel a bit too all over the place, with some major characters getting 3mins screen time. It's gonna get out of hands pretty fast.

Also, why are they seemingly holding back on revealing just saying that
Theon is being held captive by Bolton's men
. It's not like it's some kind of amazing plot twist to begin with
especially since it was quite clearly shown that Bolton offered to send his bastard to Winterfell with some men
, and it just seems to be confusing people more than anything.

Regarding Beric: [ASOS]
I'm really curious as to how the reanimation is going to look like. Hopefully it won't be just him getting up after getting cut up.

Jeels

ADWD
He took Theon from Winterfell after surrounding it with his men. He's been torturing and messing with Theon since, even going to far as to kill his own men. Ramsay is a twisted individual.

In terms of the show though, at the end of Season 2, Theon is being carried off by his own men. So what happened?

dubq

I'm kind of starting to wonder where this show is gonna go in 2-3 years. It already starts to feel a bit too all over the place, with some major characters getting 3mins screen time. It's gonna get out of hands pretty fast.

especially since it was quite clearly shown that Bolton offered to send his bastard to Winterfell with some men

They've already said that this season will be the biggest they do in terms of characters in cast. Subsequent seasons should be more focused.

Trasher

Regarding Beric: [ASOS]
I'm really curious as to how the reanimation is going to look like. Hopefully it won't be just him getting up after getting cut up.

[ASoS]
In the book they don't describe it so I wonder if they will even show anything. I feel like they have to though. There was a small shot in an HBO preview thing from a while ago that definitely shows him getting cleaved from shoulder to breastbone, so at least they are sticking true to him taking a severely fatal wound. Also, in the preview, it looks like Arya tries to go after the Hound after he kills Beric just as it is described in the book, and she also yells "go to hell" which in the book is immediately followed by Beric saying "he already has" and she turns to see him standing up and leaning against Thoros.

dubq

In terms of the show though, at the end of Season 2, Theon is being carried off by his own men. So what happened?

Well we can only guess until it gets explained. My guess? They thought they were going to be able to take advantage of Robb's "any iron born can go free except Theon" offer, but then Bolton's men killed them after they tried to turn over Theon.

Also, if you notice, some of the guys torturing Theon are wearing iron born armor (some are also wearing standard Northmen armor). I thought they weren't at first, but have since gone back to double check. I'm guessing they pilfered their bodies for their weapons and armor.

Altazor

because I think they're [ASOS spoilers]
tying that reveal to Roose Bolton's betrayal. So by revealing that House Bolton already has Theon (and Roose has outwardly feigned ignorance of Theon's whereabouts, IIRC) would make that House untrustworthy to the minds of the viewers and "spoil" that twist later on.

Timbuktu

It does need more direction, it is hard to see themes in the episodes or trace arcs through the seasons. The POV did give the books a structure even if the plot is all over the place. It does risk just becoming a major feat of logistics.

dubq

[ASoS]
In the book they don't describe it so I wonder if they will even show anything. I feel like they have to though. There was a small shot in an HBO preview thing from a while ago that definitely shows him getting cleaved from shoulder to breastbone, so at least they are sticking true to him taking a severely fatal wound. Also, in the preview, it looks like Arya tries to go after the Hound after he kills Beric just as it is described in the book, and she also yells "go to hell" which in the book is immediately followed by Beric saying "he already has" and she turns to see him standing up and leaning against Thoros.

[asos]
It's essentially magic CPR - so why not show it?

Trasher

[asos]
It's essentially magic CPR - so why not show it?

ASoS
I have nothing against them showing it, but my main point is that it isn't described in that chapter. I could see them following suit, and perhaps saving the "magic CPR" scene for Catelyn in the finale. Just my guess.

Raist

Banned
They've already said that this season will be the biggest they do in terms of characters in cast. Subsequent seasons should be more focused.

So either they pump the number of episodes up, or they're planning to go for 20 seasons. Because story arcs are going to get more and more numerous.

JerkShep

I have to disagree on Dany, I don't think her story needs any significant changes. Things will be skipped and condensed, which is the same for every other character in the show, but I see no reason for drastic changes.

Full series spoilers
We know Dany's arc this season will end with her decimating the Yunkai and freeing the slaves, who proclaim her as their mother. Next season will therefore be the Jorah betrayal and her campaign to conquer Mereen, ending with her deciding to rule the city. Basically for the rest of this season and next season she'll be in full fire & blood mode, and even people who don't like Dany tend to admit her arc in ASOS was great.

The alleged problem arises in ADWD. Based on the no spoilers thread, twitter, and non-readers at work, I get the impression there are mixed views on where Dany is going. Some believe she "clearly" is going to head to Westeros at the end of this season and either take the throne or head to the Wall (to kill the Others). Others argue that her army and dragons are too small to conquer Westeros right now, and she therefore must build an army; most also tend to agree that she isn't the greatest leader and needs to learn the game.

I think Dany's arc in ADWD would work well on television, cutting out some of the fat from the book and creating something like this:

-Dany struggles as Queen, realizes Drogon is murdering children
-Unsullied begin to be murdered, the Harpy conspiracy emerges
-Loraq offers to end the violence in exchange for Dany's hand in marriage
-Yunkai and the free cities declare war on Mereen
-Quentyn Martell reveals himself, gets rejected, attempts to tame a dragon
-Dany finally relents and agrees to marry Loraq; violence ends
-Assassination attempt is made on Dany
-Dany escapes the Pit on Drogon
-Loraq takes over Mereen, Barriston leads coup; Missandei semi-rules city in Dany's stead
-Dany stumbles through wilderness, learns to control Drogo, stumbles across Khal Pono

I think that would work on television. And while some would be disappointed, I think ultimately there would be enough action and drama to satisfy most; the show has always been more exposition and drama than action. However I'll readily admit there's a danger in not giving viewers what they want over a prolonged period of time. You could end up with a Sopranos situation where people are passively watching a prolonged season, waiting for something to happen...and then when it doesn't happen they get upset/disappointed. That's going to apply to many storylines in the series, but if handled correctly the writers could avoid it.

I agree this could work for one season but..
Full series
not with the ASOS storyline stretched for two seasons as it is now. I can't imagine viewers being happy with a storyline like this after two seasons of "yay another slavers city". The best thing that could happen right now is
Season 3: Astapor and Yunkai
Season 4: Mereen + something from ADWD (maybe Quentyn's reveal, if they're going to introduce the Martells next season)
Season 5: last part of ADWD + "Battle of Fire" left out from TWOW + PLEASE SAIL FOR WESTEROS ALREADY

dubq

So either they pump the number of episodes up, or they're planning to go for 20 seasons. Because story arcs are going to get more and more numerous.

I think that they might be doing more trimming and combining, to be honest. That being said, increasing the episode count would be a HUGE bonus for this series. I mean even an extra 2 episodes per season would help greatly.

I was thinking this but it'd be pretty bad-ass if
he just sat up Undertaker-style.

THIS! ;) With
Thoros as Paul Bearer!

golem

ASoS
I have nothing against them showing it, but my main point is that it isn't described in that chapter. I could see them following suit, and perhaps saving the "magic CPR" scene for Catelyn in the finale. Just my guess.
Well my guess is ASOS
theyll show it now to avoid having to show it in the future. Cat will die at RW, fall into the river or whatever then at the end of the season appear in the last scene as uncat with the brotherhood

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom