• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *Tagged Book Spoilers, Please Read OP* |OT| Season 3 - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the Jaime haters are still right where they need to be for the time being. Feeling sorry for him but only just a little. (ASOS)
I'm extremely interested to see all of their reactions after episode 7 though. Definitely my most anticipated moment this season. IF they pull it off well, it'll be some Rome season 1 shit.

The people who say he should have been killed or had his dick cut off instead or some shit weird me out a little bit though.

UraMallas

Not really and I find it kind of pretentious to call some of them simple minded for voicing opinions with the info they know. Personally, I regard empathy very highly when speaking of what it means to be an intelligent and discerning reader and find some irony in your post.

If you're taking a shot at the show not being as deep as the books, I can understand the frustration. I think it's the medium that is struggling to keep up which might be your point.

I think it is because as book readers we get to witness the story changes through text and see inside their heads, their thoughts, and what kind of people they are. The TV only people can only go from dialogue and acting.
Okay. Now I see that is your point and I agree. I think both mediums have their strengths. I thought the final scene of episode 4 lent itself perfectly to film and it showed.

Pkaz01

ASOS and Beyond
Are they going to show the Stark children warg abilities or just talk about Bran's or do they become more prevalent after the Red Wedding?

All Series
they have to expand on arya's it is big on her braavos storyline and I have a feeling will be even bigger in the future, I will be also extremely disappointed if arya doesnt wolf dream cat out of the river

Trasher

I think the Jaime haters are still right where they need to be for the time being. Feeling sorry for him but only just a little. (ASOS)
I'm extremely interested to see all of their reactions after episode 7 though. Definitely my most anticipated moment this season. IF they pull it off well, it'll be some Rome season 1 shit.

The people who say he should have been killed or had his dick cut off instead or some shit weird me out a little bit though.

What's in episode 7? ASoS
Bear?

UraMallas

All Series
they have to expand on arya's it is big on her braavos storyline and I have a feeling will be even bigger in the future, I will be also extremely disappointed if arya doesnt wolf dream cat out of the river
I have a feeling Bran might be taking that over.

Jaime's hand comes back to life and murders Joffrey. He's figured out to warg with his own hand.

Please spoiler tag things that haven't happened in the show yet, ffs.

Trasher

Ha, I've only read the episode titles once or twice. Kind of interesting how they've already used the song so early in the season. I guess they preferred to use it as very early foreshadowing to tease us book people.

Jaime's hand comes back to life and murders Joffrey. He's figured out to warg with his own hand.

I heard Bruce Campbell was going to cameo as the hand.

Hey book readers, had a question: They've never referred to the Three Eyed Crow as that on the series have they? They keep calling it a raven, if I recall.

neoism

I think it was also probably Emilia Clarke's strongest episode yet. She absolutely nailed her scenes, which I think was of the utmost importance going forward with Dany.

100% yes but I have to say I'm getting tried of her only being in every episode only like 5 minutes.... really wish they would give her 15-20m every once in while... seems like Emilia only has had like 30 minutes of screen time this whole season.. :/

Finally got a chance to watch tonight. That was rad all around.

iTCCLZr4O38xT.gif

I agree gents.

100% yes but I have to say I'm getting tried of her only being in every episode only like 5 minutes.... really wish they would give her 15-20m every once in while... seems like Emilia only has had like 30 minutes of screen time this whole season.. :/

In the first four episodes she has had 22:14 minutes of scenes. By HBO's listing, the first four episodes have ran at 219 minutes. I'll take out 3 minutes per episode for opening and closing credits (that's a low estimate I think), and you're left with 207 minutes. So her scenes have been ~10.7% of the season. Considering that she is at this point completely detached from everyone else in the story and the obvious fact that we have a million characters to cover, I think that's about a good as you can realistically expect.

balddemon

Banned
Yeah, I know it's called the Three Eyed Crow in the books, but in the series they haven't called it that have they? They keep calling it a raven.

whats his face has mentioned it as a 3 eye raven or crow or somtehing to the wilding lady that is taking care of him. and to that warg kid

Just a quick question - please don't spoil book four! (I have read 1-3)

Is it me, or are they spoiling Theon's storyline from book four this season? I don't remember anything about Theon in book 3. Did I magically skip all those chapters?

neoism

In the first four episodes she has had 22:14 minutes of scenes. By HBO's listing, the first four episodes have ran at 219 minutes. I'll take out 3 minutes per episode for opening and closing credits (that's a low estimate I think), and you're left with 207 minutes. So her scenes have been ~10.7% of the season. Considering that she is at this point completely detached from everyone else in the story and the obvious fact that we have a million characters to cover, I think that's about a good as you can realistically expect.

meh seems like way less.. :(

Joni

Just a quick question - please don't spoil book four! (I have read 1-3)

Is it me, or are they spoiling Theon's storyline from book four this season? I don't remember anything about Theon in book 3. Did I magically skip all those chapters?

[ASOS/ACOK]
They're filling in the blanks to show what happened to him, and they need to introduce Ramsay.

[ASOS/ACOK]
They're filling in the blanks to show what happened to him, and they need to introduce Ramsay.

But I am correct in my remembering Theon is not mentioned at all in Book 3? Now I can't remember what happens with Winterfell during that book...

-_-

That's the Wiki for Game of Thrones. You know...the show that this thread is about? lol

I gathered that, but again...I think we are miscommunicating here. They ONLY call it a Raven in the show right? Have never called it a crow? This is what you posted:

In the A Song of Ice and Fire novels, the bird is a three-eyed crow rather than a raven.

Which is what I already know, that in the novels it's called a crow, and they have called it a raven in the show.

Spoilers for everything, I would assume:
I am asking because someone dropped some fairly specific spec in the other thread that they really, really shouldn't have known or noticed, considering Cat's clothing is the exact same as it always has been, and specifically referred to the bird as the Three Eyed Crow, not the raven, which, if they hadn't read the books, they wouldn't know. Hence my questions, since it would prove someone has read the books and is shitting up the other thread.

Trasher

I gathered that, but again...I think we are miscommunicating here. They ONLY call it a Raven in the show right? Have never called it a crow?

Correct. The show only calls it a raven. That's what that quote says! lol They swapped it out.

To be fair, I call them by one another all of the time. It got to the point where I couldn't remember which was which and wasn't sure until I looked it up for you.

I gathered that, but again...I think we are miscommunicating here. They ONLY call it a Raven in the show right? Have never called it a crow? This is what you posted:

Which is what I already know, that in the novels it's called a crow, and they have called it a raven in the show.

Spoilers for everything, I would assume:
I am asking because someone dropped some fairly specific spec in the other thread that they really, really shouldn't have known or noticed, considering Cat's clothing is the exact same as it always has been, and specifically referred to the bird as the Three Eyed Crow, not the raven, which, if they hadn't read the books, they wouldn't know. Hence my questions, since it would prove someone has read the books and is shitting up the other thread.

Can you link to that post? You might want to submit it to a mod to check out (or that guy's previous posts) to see if he's a secret-spoilerman.

Correct. The show only calls it a raven. That's what that quote says! lol They swapped it out.

To be fair, I call them by one another all of the time. It got to the point where I couldn't remember which was which and wasn't sure until I looked it up for you.

Thanks

Can you link to that post? You might want to submit it to a mod to check out (or that guy's previous posts) to see if he's a secret-spoilerman.

Already done, pmed a mod. DO NOT CLICK THE LINK
And this is the post in question.

Joni

But I am correct in my remembering Theon is not mentioned at all in Book 3? Now I can't remember what happens with Winterfell during that book...

He isn't mentionned in 3, but they're just expanding to keep Theon around to show where the flayed skin came from that gets sent to Cat in 3.

Subitai

Great episode. I too am liking the way they're going about foreshadowing everything in this episode. Reading the other thread was especially entertaining this week.

Anyway, I'm a little sad but understand ASoS
that they left out Sansa being matched with Margery's other brother Willas who was crippled. Sansa's story is so key to the set up of the purple wedding (the wedding we're really looking forward too) they only had time to get the important stuff in. I was expecting Sansa to be brought before Olenna like in the book, but having Margery present the dea-er ultimatum was much more manipulative. Well done. Very well done. Nice working the spider in too. Now it makes sense that we didn't hear about Loras joining the king's guard. He'll join later after Tywin swoops in to snatch Sansa from the Tyrells. I guess that is the other thing they ran out of time with in that there is no one warning Sansa about the perils of that house. Ran out of space. Eh, nothing's perfect. I'm glad we got what we did.

Of course epic ending to one of best parts of Dany's story. They made sure they didn't mess that up.

I'm pretty bummed that the after next week, this amazing season will be half over. :(

CassSept

Why can't you people stop posting in the other thread? Let them have it. You're either outright spoiling them, accidentally dropping hints or asking them questions that imply spoilers. Really.

Last week was the worst, [ASOS? dunno]
with someone asking HURR DURR what do you think of Jamie NOW~!

For christ's sake, at this point in the book we had several Jamie PoV chapters, knew that he is different from how he seems to the others. There was already much development of the character before he gets his hand cut and makes up a story of sapphires.

In the show this is the FIRST scene that he does something that is not completely despicable. Remember, at this point the audience knows him as Kingslayer, the guy who threw Brann out of the tower, killed Jory and pierced Ned's ankle, tried to kill Brienne, is a snarky asshole to everyone and MURDERS HIS COUSIN TO ESCAPE. He is an outright villain, that's who he is.

He is one redeeming moment which may simply mean everything, a single sting of conscience, a gradual change of his character, maybe even his distaste of rape? There is a list of reasons for this scene not necessarily meaning he is a different character from what he seems.

But no, you just HAVE to know what the non-book readers think of this shocking turnaround, what do they think NOW! Terrible.

TCRS

Banned
I want to see the twitter reactions to the last scene, come on WiC! That was badass, loved it. Valyrian sounds pretty good too, she delivered it perfectly. Dothraki was rather awkward.

@CassSpet
I agree, wtf is wrong with those people. We have a thread here, leave the people who haven't read the books alone.

I think the Dany scene might be my favourite moment of the TV show so far. It evoked the exact same emotions that it did when I read it in the book the moment she started speaking in Valerian and me getting far more excited than an adult male should for a good guy actually winning in a show always feels good.

Beyond that I felt it was the strongest episode of the series so far. I can't wait to see where they go with Theon. (ASOS)
The Ramsey loop around was deliciously sadistic, the moment Theon found himself led into a dark room and called out for his sister I felt bad for the poor bugger, and they really need to show how much of an utter cunt Ramsey is given they skipped over quite a lot of his cunting.
Craster's delivery made the Night's Watch scene once again, the kings landing segments were all on point, as was the Hound/Dondarrion confrontation.

Overall I was a little cold on the first 2 episodes, last weeks raised my hopes for the season a little, last night's showed that they have the potential to do ASoS justice and left me eager to see next week's.

ZeroRay

Jesus Christ people, don't say shit you shouldn't in the other thread. In fact, just stay out.

Let them have their fun.

Besides, after the end of this season, I suspect quite a few people will pick up the books lol.

Chuckie

Jesus Christ people, don't say shit you shouldn't in the other thread. In fact, just stay out.

Let them have their fun.

Besides, after the end of this season, I suspect quite a few people will pick up the books lol.

It's getting so annoying. I've seen some really sneaky 'predictions' in that thread. Some SO vague it is even hard to report them.

Yonafunu

We've talked about this before but I really hope they don't AFFC
show undead Cat this season. I really really hope she doesn't appear until next season, and even then as late as possible, rather than in the premier. Of course, she'll probably show up earlier, probably to keep Michelle Fairly in the game. But still :(

Eidan

I find many of the TV only watchers to be very simple minded to the characterization of certain characters.

Quotes like this one:

Am I the only one who feels this way?

The reaction I've seen is that people felt pangs of guilt for him, but still hate him. Which I think is entirely appropriate.

ASOS
I expect views to shift a bit more with the revelation of why Jaime killed Aerys, and him saving Brienne.

I'd also avoid going into the other thread and criticizing people's opinions of the characters. In fact, just stop posting in it altogether.

Dysun

^ADWD
Not verbatim but he implies he always wanted to be a stark towards the end of the book and they were his real family.

brentech

Was the scene with Theon, where he says that Ned was his father, in the book? It was quite moving.

tumblr_mln0n5HTYl1r0hpa1o1_500.gif

tumblr_mln0n5HTYl1r0hpa1o2_500.gif

Nope, none of Theon's journey is in the books.
I liked the scene. In the books you'd only feel kind of bad for him, but I think Martin did want you to.
Hearing him say "My real father lost his head at King’s Landing" was a good line that draws you to him, then seconds later...he's fucked

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Beat the NBA playoffs in the 18-49 demo, very impressive. These last two episodes have been some of the best buzz creating "water cooler" episodes on television right now. Dany's scene is probably the strongest single GoT scene since Baelor (or Fire and Blood's ending).

Yup. My professor came in

"ANYONE WATCHED GAME OF THRONES!"

CassSept

No. Theon is several orders of magnitude more sympathetic in the show than in the books.

After being several orders of magnitude more unlikable in Season 2.

In books I wasn't really moved by his character, I saw him as a stupid self-centered prick, while TV viewers seemed to outright loathe him. Decapitating Ser Rodrik didn't help.

So when will we hit 5 million viewers? At this rate I can't see it not rising again next week after this week's amazing ending. [series/ASOS]
And with RW having two weeks of advertising and hype the numbers will be insane by the end of the Season. Let alone for a fantasy series. Yay!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom