• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"GAME OVER ...yyeEEAHHH!!!" The Official Sega Rally Revo thread of Ultimate Force!!!

----======= GO GO SEGA RALLY!!!! =======----

==========================================

121v1xi.jpg

5uoc94.jpg

==== Official Sega Rally Revo thread =====

General Information

33aclxu.jpg

Title: Sega Rally Revo (US), Sega Rally (Europe)
Official Websites: Official Site, Official YouTube site
Publisher: Sega
Developer: Sega Racing Studio , Bugbear (PSP version)
Genre: Arcade Racer
Modes: Singleplayer and Multiplayer
Release Date: Europe - September 28th 2007, US - October 9th, 2007
MSRP: $49.99, $59.99, $69.99
Platform: Xbox 360, PS3, PSP, PC
Media Size: 1 BD, 1 DVD-Rom, 1 UMD

Features

2afivxc.jpg

- Over 30 licensed and non licensed vehicles covering the very best of 4WD, 2WD and classic rally vehicles and some very exciting unlockables

- Race within 6 beautiful environments across 16 unique deformable tracks

- Go bumper-to-bumper in split-screen mode or race online up to 6 players

- Compete across 33 rallies to reign supreme in the SEGA Rally Championship

jzrip.jpg

Official Press Release said:
The legend of Rally games is back as SEGA Rally motors onto next-generation consoles this autumn promising to push the boundaries of the Rally genre to a new level. A true next-gen game, SEGA Rally looks and plays better than ever offering fans bumper-to-bumper, heart stopping, and adrenalin pumping action sure to induce a grin to player's faces.

Developed by SEGA's own Racing Studio, a handpicked team made up of the cream of the industry's racing development talent, the return of the king of arcade rally games promises to set a new president on Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and PC.

SEGA Rally retains the looping courses of its predecessors rather than the customary point-to-point of many other titles. This amongst other features, helps to ensure close competitive race action with rival cars all vying to be first over the finishing line to pick up the most points.

With over 30 licensed high performance cars to race across a multitude of rich, vibrant and exotic environments, finding the right car for the right surface can put you one step ahead of the opposition.

Accessible but realistic car handling guarantees a fun and rewarding experience as the signature SEGA Rally power slides are still a feature.

Each environment is based in a colourful, exotic location, with each track full of charm and character mimicking varied environments from around the globe. Surfaces vary from course to course, and the track deformation feature ensures that each surface cuts up and ruts differently making each surface a challenge to master.

The circuits will feature an interactive environment incorporating surface deformation and smashable scenery, which will cause the experience to vary each lap.

As the race goes on, your car will get muddier and dirtier, with trips through the water cleaning your chassis off again. Don't get caught behind your opponent on a dusty track, your visibility becomes impaired, which makes taking that next corner perfectly all the harder.

The result is a dynamic, multi-layered, game structure that produces an exponentially huge number of game play possibilities, creating a game that at heart is a serious and rewarding driving game, but with the game play sensibilities and fun of an Arcade Racer.

SEGA Rally - It's back!
122kj02.jpg

About SEGA Racing Studio said:
Sega Racing Studio (also known as Sega Driving Studio) is a computer and video game developer established in 2005 (based in Solihull, England) for the sole purpose of developing AAA SEGA racing titles, the studio has radically expanded from a hand group of people to a team of over 60 employees by the year 2007 drawing recruited talent from other major British developers such as Rockstar, Rare, Codemasters and Criterion Games. It's mission statement is to create driving games for the Western market whilst paying homage to Sega's legacy in the genre, including the development of new racing IPs for Sega.

The development studio is aiming to become large enough to be able "to be a multi-sku, multi-game studio" and develop multiple titles at the same time. The team has been called autonomous from SEGA whilst still being part of the organization.

The studio is currently headed by Guy Wilday, who was involved in the Colin McRae Rally games and was fromerly the head of the studio behind the games and the series producer.

117with.jpg

US Marketing!?

"The Misadventures of Tonya & Donya"

25127-t_segarally_tnd2.jpg
25125-t_segarally_tnd1.jpg
25123-t_segarally_tndintro.jpg

Part of the promotional activity in North America includes a series of three short comedy films that revolve around the antics of two valley girls as a racing partnership. Titled "Tonya & Donya", the films feature the double act of Natasha Leggero as driver and regular comedy collaborator Melinda Hill, as co-driver.
Each of the films ends with the tagline "Drive like a man".

(right click save-as)

Tonya and Donya Intro

Tonya and Donya Ep.1

Tonya and Donya Ep.2

Tonya and Donya Ep.3

Tonya and Donya Ep.4

....at least they're easy on the eyes?

...Choices

2a915vt.jpg
28t9d8z.jpg
mm4nyf.jpg
10xdc88.jpg

$59.99 (PS3, XBOX360), $39.99 (PC, PSP)

Gamestop Promotion said:
For a limited time all customers who pre-order Sega Rally Revo will SAVE $10 off the regular price of $59.99. This offer is valid both online and in-store and applies to pre-orders only.
Follow the link here and save $10 on ANY of the skus...

Xbox 360 achievment list located here...

2hwpr4h.jpg

Legacy

2mh8ww0.jpg

16iwkcm.jpg
oicaz9.jpg

Wikipedia said:
Sega Rally Championship is a 1995 arcade racing game developed by AM5 on the Sega Model 2 board. It was later ported over to the Sega Saturn (by AM3) and PC. The unique selling point of Sega Rally was the ability to drive on different surfaces (including asphalt, gravel and mud), with different friction properties, with the car's handling changing accordingly.

Another interesting feature is that the player can enter a "World Championship" mode consisting of three stages (Desert, Forest and Mountain) where their finishing position at the end of one course is carried through to the starting position of the next course. In this mode, it is impossible to reach first place position by the end of the first track, thus the player must try to overtake as many opponent cars as possible on each track (while staying within the time limit), and gain the lead over several tracks. If, at the end of the third round, the player is in first place, they are able to play a fourth secret circuit called "Lakeside" (on the Saturn version, this course may then be played in time attack and split-screen multiplayer modes).

Two cars are featured in the game: the Toyota Celica GT-Four and the Lancia Delta HF Integrale. There is also a hidden car, the Lancia Stratos. The Stratos is only unlocked if the extra Lakeside track is completed in first place; then it may be used in any of the game's modes (championship, time attack and split-screen multiplayer). For the arcade machine, hold down the brake pedal while inserting credits, select "Championship" then highlight your car (but do not select it), run 1-2-3-4 through the gears, select your car then release the brake pedal. Codemasters have cited Sega Rally as a strong influence on their first Colin McRae Rally game.

vndpoj.jpg
2uxtx5t.jpg

Essential Viewing

Sega Rally Saturn

Sega Rally Championship Arcade Edition

Sega Rally Championship Dreamcast

Sega Rally 2006 (not released outside Japan)

Ultimate GO GO SEGA RALLY! performance for the ages!!!!

PC Demos

Sega Rally Championship PC Demo

Sega Rally 2 PC Demo

(will run on any modest PC)

For more information, check out the Wikipedia entry located here

5f23ad.jpg
2me9w03.jpg
1z64fg5.jpg
9u0w07.jpg

moving pictures

34xg5n8.jpg

(right click save-as)

Gametrailers Preview HD

Survival of the Fastest

TGS 2007 Trailer

Show Stopper!

Canyon Environment Trailer

Alpine Environment Trailer

Tropical Environment Trailer

Technical Trailer Part.1

Technical Trailer Part.2

Technical Trailer Part.3

PAX interview

Mud Covered gameplay

E32k7 interview

Gamersyde's first 10 minutes

(follow the link)

1zgniw.jpg

ou1lcg.jpg

2llzwip.jpg

2q22scj.jpg

2efsvh3.jpg

24o2g6f.jpg

Demos now available on PSN, Xbox Live and PC

I really do like the game

But on my PC with my monstrous graphics card and a FPS of a steady 106 makes my eyes bleed and be happy all at once and that makes me to turn the game off after 1 tournament because I get motion sick.

Maztorre

My impressions from a couple of hours' play

Ok, this game is Sega Rally as FUCK. The two demo tracks really reveal little of how genius the course design is, not to mention the demo doesn't show off any of the more advanced graphical/tech stuff on offer. For example, the game can layer multiple surface types on top of each other, so on the Arctic courses the conditions underneath the snow layer vary from volcanic ash in the mountainous areas, to ice whenever you're driving over a frozen lake. All of which affects traction on the 2nd and 3rd laps whenever the relatively safe snow has been ploughed off by the cars. Puddles and stretches of water are also directly affected by your driving. The water spreads out along the tyre tracks left in the ground, and multiple puddles flow into each other, creating trenches which chop a good 10mph off your initial speed (not to mention washing some of the mud off the cars, oh yes).

Visually, the game piles on the Sega Blue Sky fanservice CONSTANTLY. There are entire stretches and corners that are visually modelled on the original Sega Rally courses. Look out for a new rendition of the massive mountain range seen in the original Forest course, as well as a "remake" of the Forest tunnel. The zebras and elephants from SR1's Desert all come back in the Safari course. There are just hundreds of visual touches. People riding on snowmobiles next to the course, hang gliders, jets flying in formation (on lap 2 they release coloured smoke!!), geysers, the northern lights, fully animated construction equipment. There's a stage set around an arctic fishing village that looks like it was pulled from Shenmue. Really gives the game that Sega arcade feel.

The main game has 3 overarching championships, based around out-and-out rally cars (like the impreza and evo from the demo), cars modded for rallying, and the "masters" series championship (classic rally cars, and the original 3 Sega Rally vehicles). The handling on the SR1 vehicles is immaculate. I took the 1976 Lancia Stratos onto a fairly forgiving course in time attack and immediately registered a world top 10 ranking in the leaderboards, just from muscle memory of playing SR1. The Stratos feels IDENTICAL. As do the Celica and Lancia Delta. It was a really pleasant surprise. Also of note: every car I've driven has 2 further unlockable paint jobs, attained by driving 20 and then 50 miles total with each respective car. So yeah, unlocking the Good Shit is really straightforward and sensible, which is nice.

BUY.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
My god Otaku, you have seriously outdone yourself with this thread. Kudos!

So very, very getting this game. The fact that I can't stop playing the demo seals the deal. Plus with $10 off for pre-ordering how can you go wrong?

Day 1.

EDIT - Has there been any impressions that detail if there's a difference between the PS3 and 360 versions?

Holy hell! I thought this was console only. I'm getting the PC version asap.

SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA RAAAAAAAAAAALLLLYYYYYYYYYY

Awesome thread btw!

Kosma

Banned
I still think Sega Rally on Saturn is one of the best racers ever, I enjoyed it more then Gran Turismo, Forza and anything else that has come since. It's only rivaled by Daytona CCE.

Singho

Awesome post AgentOtaku.

Played a few online games and very stable and there was no problems when jostling for position side by side with AI and human opponents. Didn't notice any lagging or warping cars so I'm very happy with that aspect so far.

When I first started playing I found a great track, Canyon 1. Soon as I played it, exited out of championship and have been Time Attacking it ever since. Played it online as well, and it's brilliant.

You start off on Tarmac and then you take a sharp 90 right turn into sand and straight into mud. You have to swing the car in at an angle before it hits the mud as otherwise you will be eating rock face, and then bomb it down the canyon full of large puddles and mud.

Mud splattering all over the car and then when you splash through puddles, the mud washes off. Going through on the first pass is hard enough, by the time the 3rd laps comes the water will have seeped out into the tyre tracks making it difficult not to try and slide into the main bodies of water which slows you do severly.

If you play it online with more then 2 cars, that entire section becomes a churned up mess! So hard to try and find your way through and get a nice smooth line when the entire track has been torn up.

Carries on for about 3 medium left and right corners before you have to power it up a gravelly hill, around a hair pin and dash for the straight. Great track and that was only the 2nd race into the championship. Managed to get the 2nd place time for that track tonight, i'm 2 secs off the leader on that track now, but there are so many places where he and I lost time.

Theres plenty of oppertunity in areas of the course to make time up on. Sometimes going into the water helps as it slows you down just enough to hook your car around the corner instead of sliding off further down the middle and risk getting caught in another water trap.

I could change tyres, take different routes on each pass, try and go full whack around certain corners instead of gearing down or using the brake...lots to consider to get a better time.

I started off using the Suburu Impreza but within hours people were clocking in higher times with unlockable cars. The best car for the Premier Class is the Enduro Racer, a little "Escudo Pikes Peaks" car with Sega stickers all over it. Proper nippy.

If you decide to risk changing your off road tyres for road you can get better acceleration and top speed on the gravel and tarmac but you can suffer badly on the mud. I tried switching tyres and the car handles like a total different beast. It was fine on the road but when it hit the mud the speed and handling totally flipped. Couldn't take corners in certain gears as I did on manual as the car never had the momentum in the mud with road tyres.

Not spent this much time on a time attack for ages. Rinsed the one in RR6, but it was no fun battling against people you didnt know all the time. :/ Last time I knucked down HARD to Time Trialing before that was on 1080 and Wave Race 64.

The leaderboards are done as you would expect, times are split up into Overall and Car Classes, you can download ghosts and filter times of everyone on your Freinds List. All the usual stuff, nice and easy to follow.

Quickly played a few other courses tonight and oh my...no bullshit, this game looks fantastic and out of all of the courses i've played so far, none of them have been a duffer. Looks and racing wise. The first Safari track...simple but so fun and fast. Theres this jump on that track that comes out of nowhere, it's as if someone has thrown a mine under your car as you explode into the air. Crazy shit.

Oh and one of the Alpine tracks has a massive mountain road covered in water, the reflections bouncing of it as well as the water spray of other racers flying into the air and the amazing contrast to the black shiny tarmac you have the green hills and grass...gorgous.

It has 2 or 3 mad 90 degree angle corners which are so satisfying to nail perfectly when you drop down a gear or two and the front lip of the car raises up and just skirts past the barrier. But if you go for it you risk smashing straight into the barriers and slowing you down much more then had you hanged back alittle and not gone so close to the corner, but thats the risk and reward you get for Time Attacking. Play it safe or go on a mad one and try and nail every single corner you can at top speed.

Everyone dissapointed by the "lack of Sega soul" from the demo should check out some of the courses on this. Amazing to race and they look great too. I can't see anyone who was a fan of the original not to be happy with what SRS have pulled here.

I'll get some videos up of some of the even more extravagant and gorgous looking courses some time during the week, as words cannot do justice to how they look or convey the heart in mouth races I have done in them.

Took me a while to get into the demo, but everyone do yourselves a favour and play this game on manual gears and the inside view. Winging it on automatic is not gonna be able to cut it when trying to get around certain corners at an optimal speed. It's too random. Playing the Time Attack got me to adjust in about an hour and I can't go back to Auto as regulating your speed on certain points of the tracks cannot be done with any precision.

The track design and layouts are INSPIRED man...God damn each and everyone I have played is just a joy to race. Had some fantastic races in championship and online, so many ways to negotiate certain corners but you have to factor in the terrain on certain laps and then decide what would be the best way to navigate it. Proper deepens the the amount of thought you have to put in, as even though on some courses the effects of the surface is subtle, on some its tragic! Churned up mud, brand new water traps and bumpy dusty roads which start rocking your car about as you hurtle over it.

The full set of tracks blow the tracks of the demo out of the water and they were great themselves. What's even more mad is when you unlock the Reversed set of tracks, it's not a simple flip. The reverse of the Canyon 2 track in the demo plays like a total different track as you are now going up hill instead of downhill and also fighting the corners differently as not only is it reversed but the track marks and grooves are at different points of corners and straights.

One of the tracks, I believe its called Tropical 3 is a great massive wide open track. You tear it up around the base of a mountain driving past rice fields, forests and then back into a village onto dry grassy roads. It has 3 jumps as you drop down the side of the hill and the hang time off them is awesome. Best thing is the way you can control your car while in mid air to line yourself for the next harsh jump.

It really does feel like its a Sega Rally, the handling is familiar, the jumps and the all around presentation with little touches such as jet fighters, helicopters and planes whizzing past as well as some of the more subtle track side details. Greatness.

Even the music is growing on me! ;x Alpine and Canyon music rocks, end of. :D

Slightly dissapointing is you can't save replays in Time Attack Mode. They have the option for you to watch the Replay at the end of your run, and unless I missed it, I can't see a save replay option. Also, I think you can't control the camera for the replay you do get either.

Also you can't select a selection of courses for Ranked matches, its just one race and then back to the main menu.

The most dissapointing aspect is that there is no LAN\System Link up mode, bit of an oversight as it would have been a nice (I expect it these days) bonus.

Best FUN and Arcade racer i've played in years.

Surfheart

Wow. nice thread!

Is there much longevity in this do you think? I realise the original game was incredibly short but with huge replayabilty coming with the sheer joy of playing and of course improving your times. Does this game have that hook?

Singho

painey said:
this has rubberband AI right?

It's a weird one. Sometimes the cars zoom off without you and act like the cars in the original Sega Rally where passing each one would act as a marker to say "you are getting better". Other times they give you a good fight and other times you can leave them for dust.

Could just be the AI reacts differently to certain tracks. Who knows, but I did not get the feeling it was rubberband AI like you have in Mario Kart or Burnout.

Surfheart said:
Wow. nice thread!

Is there much longevity in this do you think? I realise the original game was incredibly short but with huge replayabilty coming with the sheer joy of playing and of course improving your times. Does this game have that hook?

Not including the Time Trialing aspect, the Championship is huge. The first Premier Class has Amateur, Pro, Masters and Final. Each split up into 3-4 races each and you have a point score saying whether you've aced that cup or not.

It's getting quite tough to get 1st places in all of the races now, and I don't want to move on to the next class of cars till I get them done. Along the way you can unlock loads of things such as cars, liveries and the reverse tracks, so there looks to be a ton replayability in the Championship Mode. Perhaps a little too much...I'm knackered!

Maztorre

60_gig_PS3 said:
so wait this isn't developed by Sega Japan?

It's made in the UK by pretty much a hand-picked team of the best racing game developers in Europe. They've pretty much out-Sega'ed Sega.

In a sane and caring world these guys will revive another Sega license. Without the frankly insane amount of track deformation going on in this game I'd say they could manage Daytona at steady 60fps using the current engine. THERE I SAID IT.

Also re: rubberband AI, it is indeed a rather weird system they have. It seems to be where they'll always make sure you're jostling for position whilst you're part of the pack, but if you're clearly pulling ahead they won't chase you down at unnatural speed. The best thing I can say about it is that it always feels like the original Sega Rally, where there is a constant risk/reward trying to overtake at speed and maintain powerslides whilst keep your racing line.

Getting this on PC. I was torn between this and DIRT, but I've decided I can't live without Sega Rally. Is Takenobu Mitsuyoshi doing the music?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Maztorre said:
In a sane and caring world these guys will revive another Sega license. Without the frankly insane amount of track deformation going on in this game I'd say they could manage Daytona at steady 60fps using the current engine. THERE I SAID IT.
I'm rooting for this. :D
Anyways, I preordered my copy before the $10 off deal. Do you think GS will honor it when I pick it up?

twinturbo2 said:
I'm rooting for this. :D
Anyways, I preordered my copy before the $10 off deal. Do you think GS will honor it when I pick it up?

I know, I did the same thing and they said it "wasn't in there system yet"
...just print out the page and take it with you when you go to pick it up....so they can't say shit

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
AgentOtaku said:
I know, I did the same thing and they said it "wasn't in there system yet"
...just print out the page and take it with you when you go to pick it up....so they can't say shit
I have the e-mail saved, so that shouldn't be a problem. :D

marwan

Banned
PSP pictures?

i loved it on the PS3 and 360.....but i might get it on the PC since i can play it with the 360 controller on my Core 2 Extreme 3Ghz processor, 8800 GTX! :)

btw, is there a black wired 360 controller? or should i get one of those wireless 360 adapters for the PC?

Game length: After around 7 hours play, I'm about 25% through the championship, have done a bunch of free races, and at least 20 online matches.

AI: There is some rubberbanding, but you can get ahead by quite a long distance. So can the AI, actually. The AI can be frustratingly difficult at times, and they do all seem to follow the racing line perfectly :p

Awesome: It's still goddamn awesome. I don't think the deformation affects how you drive too much, but the effect of it does: its at its most 'wow' when there's something on top of another surface, and as I said in another thread, the layer of snow on ice which by the third lap would have a perfect line cut through it. The reason that works well is because the handling on different surfaces is so great, and really noticable. There's no need to want to go outside the invisible walls so you can drive a bit on say the grass, because you get at least 3 different surfaces changing how you drive every lap.

Tracks: Too few, already come across reverse ones (not mirror, reverse), but the tracks there are brilliant. You have 3 for the 5 environments, some have reverse tracks (but not all, and they are dotted throughout Championship mode, it's not you beat it and unlock MIRROR MODE LOL) and there's an extra 1 track environment after you beat lots.

Flo

Bought it, tried it for 2 minutes, loved it! Played Monster Hunter 2nd instead.

There's too many good games coming out, and this is how the great will suffer.

DemonCleaner said:
thread of awesome!

is there any comparison between the 360 and ps3 version... which version to buy?
People have said it is pretty much identical between the two versions, only differences I can think of would be:
1. Online service: Live v PSN
2. Controller: 360 controller (rumble, remember) v Sixaxis, official MS wheel vs other wheels e.g. G25 (awesome)

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
I bought the PSP version last week and it rocks, no mud deformation but still good. Online play is pretty neat too. Not a bad looker either.

-viper-

Banned
Morbid Angel said:
Holy hell! I thought this was console only. I'm getting the PC version asap.

SEGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA RAAAAAAAAAAALLLLYYYYYYYYYY

Awesome thread btw!
NOOOOO DOOON'T.

The PC version is garbage. The controls are absolutely bollocks.

And the handling of the cars is cancer.

JonathanEx said:
People have said it is pretty much identical between the two versions, only differences I can think of would be:
1. Online service: Live v PSN
2. Controller: 360 controller (rumble, remember) v Sixaxis, official MS wheel vs other wheels e.g. G25 (awesome)

the german game tv-mag "game one" said that die 360 version had framerate issues (one could also experience them in the xbla-demo) but a tad crisper IQ, while the ps3 version would run absolutely smooth (60fps?).

i havn't heard any comments like that from other sources, thats why i ask.

PSN = dedicated server or p2p?

As I said before, I chose the 360 version for the following:

- Custom soundtracks as I do think the music is pretty poo poo :lol
- after LOTS of going back and forth, I found it easiest to handle the vehicles with the 360 analog
- Ease of Live (though I would like to play it for free on PSN instead)
- my son loves this game and also prefers the 360 controller

what I will miss:

- I prefer how it looks on PS3 as its gorgeous on my Bravia through HDMI
- I always can use more games to play on my PS3 :lol ....(but I have DiRT so i'm okay)
- As said before, playing it for free on PSN

both games are locked at 30fps and are visually identical....only time there is a HINT of slow down (i'm talking like 3-5 frames), is when you are behind a bunch of vehicles and they're kicking up dust all around you, or when you pass the helicopter in the canyon track on the demo....

Jide said:
The pc version isn't locked to 30fps :)

thats cool to hear :)

DemonCleaner said:
PSN = dedicated server or p2p?

I'd like to know this too...

marwan said:
Did Kaz mention anything about Sega Rally Revo getting a Dual Shock 3 patch?
It's not on the press release list of games I've got, but someone at a bloggers session said they mentioned support for it.

Rayne.S

Banned
So are there any re-made Sega Rally 1 tracks or even the classic Sega Rally hidden somewhere in this new installment !

1-D_FTW

So I think the control is excellent on the PC version with a 360 controller (while it plays.)

Downloaded the demo from the above link, and the thing is just hard crashing my PC.

My PC has been torture tested and doesn't have any stability problems. So it either stems from the fact it took 2 minutes to configure the .NET crap and screwed something up, or it's a driver issue that could be corrected with the latest update.

Either way, I'm passing. Shame. But I don't feel like trying to decipher what the problem is for this one game.

Top Bottom