• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameBlog Rumor] - Developers disclosing problems with Xbox One drivers [Updated]

Krakn3Dfx

This justifies my decision not to pre-order any PS4 multiplats. I'll just wait out reviews and see how this plays out. There will be plenty of exclusive games on launch day without having to bother. Resogun and Killzone will take up my first week at least by themselves.

You know gaffers, you guys are doing an exceedingly good job as consumers playing into a major corporations hands. Not sure why you treat this, or sony execs, or even MS's words as gospel. At this point it is so easy to disguise something as hearsay and get you guys to believe it. I could say I overheard Cerny say the ps4 will make your fridge run colder at a sizzler, start a thread about it, and you guys would eat it up.

Thrakier

Any weight to this site and article? Pretty annoying if true about the "political" thing. I just won't buy the said games.

Well, it's not so easy to find out. Rule: If it's not better on PS4, don't buy it (except it's perfect on both consoles like some indie games). At this point, PS4 version always HAS TO BE BETTER somehow. I don't see any exception to this rule. The difference in power is significant.

skdoo

Banned
Man that thing sure is an anti-consumer, anti-competition piece of crap

Well, that would be a MS thing to do - just ask Netscape what I'm talking about, or the Federal Government, or any number of instances. It looks like the XBox has truly been absorbed into MS culture!

Good for them - bad for gamers.

Funny how it's always an unnamed Dev. Nobody puts themselves on the line to really make it a true or false article.

Just more unnamed sources.

Edit.. I also remember this gen how people said that devs were making ps3 games to match the lower 360 games. It's all pretty comical.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I think that EA and Ubi are main candidates for this 'practice'

Ubi and Sony seem to have a good relationship with their DLC deals on Ubi's biggest properties. Watch Dogs being 720p would reek of this though.

I'm not taking it for granted, But it's not out of realm of possibilty unlike what you said.

I'm just saying this is a rumour, stupid imho because, why would a developer waste time and resources in gimping a better version? even more, probably PS4 versions will get more sales than XBO ones.

for me this makes no sense, and yosp can be playing his own game feeding the crowd.

as I said before, I don't know what's true about this, this is just a rumour, so believe what you will, but as other fellow gaffer said, believing that MS would be moneyhatting to gimp versions, it's crazy

Well, it's not so easy to find out. Rule: If it's not better on PS4, don't buy it (except it's perfect on both consoles like some indie games). At this point, PS4 version always HAS TO BE BETTER somehow. I don't see any exception to this rule. The difference in power is significant.

I say if any multiplat game on PS4 is not 1080p, its most likely gimped due to X1.

Not necessarily true. I'd speculate that there could be some cases where devs reach their target goal in performance quicker on PS4, and then spend the rest of the dev time getting the weaker Xbox One to reach said goal. Does this count as purposefully weakening the PS4 version? Possibly...I guess?

ymmv

Banned
Unfortunately no one can.

Yep. We'll probably read that the first launch games surprisingly show that the Xbox One is just as powerful as the PS4 despite what everyone expected. What a difference 6% more CPU power and a couple megs of EdRAM make!

Oh well, I'll buy the new AC and Watch Dogs for the PC anyway. The PS4 will be for the Sony exclusives.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Not to weigh in on the article's veracity one way or the other, but I don't see any reason to rule out politics as a factor in possibly throttling the potential of games on one or the other platform. It's a force that's present in every human industry. If devs/pubs are willing to favor one platform over the other through other means like timed exclusives, exclusive DLC, more prominent marketing for one platform, etc. then there's certainly going to be at least a few of them willing to consider "parity" as a way of favoring one platform over another.

Thrakier

Not necessarily true. I'd speculate that there could be some cases where devs reach their target goal in performance quicker on PS4, and then spend the rest of the dev time getting the weaker Xbox One to reach said goal. Does this count as purposefully weakening the PS4 version? Possibly...I guess?

It does count. PS4 version equals XB1 version = Potential wasted.

Honestly I meant this thread as discussion that cboat was correct and the XB1 drivers aren't mature

I assumed people would realize the forced parity was a suggested possibility not a fact

I realize now my mistake was posting aliands comment without any other english translation present

I'm sorry if it seemed more than it was

Did people miss this post AND the updated op.

Seriously calm down

2San

I say if any multiplat game on PS4 is not 1080p, its most likely gimped due to X1.
How so? Devs seem to be struggling a bit with the new consoles. Even if the architecture is based on x86. Devs are still dealing with an extremely underpowered CPU compared to to PC's. While the consoles do offer ways around it, I imagine it takes some time to get used to it.

Biker19

Banned

I agree. There is no way in hell that PS4 can't run any game in Native 1080p since it was perfectly designed for 1080p gaming. NO. WAY.

Microsoft is purposely handicapping the competition by trying to do what they did.

They just need to get out of this industry.

Chobel

I'm just saying this is a rumour, stupid imho because, why would a developer waste time and resources in gimping a better version? even more, probably PS4 versions will get more sales than XBO ones.

for me this makes no sense, and yosp can be playing his own game feeding the crowd.

as I said before, I don't know what's true about this, this is just a rumour, so believe what you will, but as other fellow gaffer said, believing that MS would be moneyhatting to gimp versions, it's crazy

Like I said It's never about moneyhatting, it's about the relationship with MS. And I'm discussing with you because you said it can't happen, yosp tweet say otherwise. I'm not sure if gimping version is true in this case but it might happen.

MaulerX

I'm going to play devils advocate here if not reaching a bit, but, what if these consoles really are closer than people think? What if somewhere somehow, someone is concocting a behind the scenes pre-emptive excuse as to why games might look similar on both console's?

I just can't imagine why any dev (even when talking in anonymity) would admit to something like that. When the games finally come out, we'll eventually find out who's doing this and the backlash isn't going to be pretty.

Penello and Major Nelson have both reminded us that MICROSOFT invented Direct X and they have the smartest people in the world working for them.

You really think they are going to have problems with their Drivers? Seriously? Hahahh, lol, no way!

Chamber

love on your sleeve

That's what it sounds like. There was an article about a 3 man team porting The Crew from PC to PS4 while the Xbox One version was developed by larger team at Ubisoft. That kind of thing sounds nuts.

J-Rzez

I find it quite unbelievable that the largest software company in the world doesn't have a decent video driver ready for their own hardware that they've been working on for years. Something just doesn't seem right about that to me.

That struck me odd as well. Only conclusion I have is that this thing is coming out way too soon, they were not ready at all. Not really an inspiring perception to have of a product.

Krakn3Dfx

Like a lot of shady things MS does, they can get developers/publishers to reach "parity" between versions without any money exchanging hands. When PC makers started advertising their systems with Linux as an option years ago, MS threatened to cut off their OEM Windows allocations or substantially raise the prices on those OEM copies as a result.

People who have worked with MS in the past and know how they work as a whole and what they'll do to maintain the upper hand. Just because the U.S. govt doesn't actively go after corporations for monopolistic business practices doesn't mean it's not still happening. There's an entire wiki post dedicated to their history in this kind of stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Microsoft

Let's all ignore the fact that that tweet is 10 DAYS OLD

Does that factor into this somehow?

Top Bottom