• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GameBlog Rumor] - Developers disclosing problems with Xbox One drivers [Updated]

Ploid 3.0

Didn't Microsoft Engineers make DirectX, how could there be driver problems? They are software wizards! :p /sarcasm

Edit: Ah crap, top of the page again.

I don't take it as a fact, but i'm not downplaying it either.

then we could assume the same for him

this is just a rumour, stupid I you let me say, and probably there will be no way we will know if that happens.

and about current-gen multiplatforms. we have had lot of leaks during all these years and, iirc, there haven't been any rumour about MS moneyhatting third parties to gimp down PS3 versions (and viceversa), so please, stop it.

Also if this is true there will be a gigantic gap between multiplats vs Naughty Dog and SSM games on the console, they'll be humiliated.

Bundy

Banned
bundy.gif

orioto

Good Art™
Anyway in case of "political dowgrading", i think it would only work if for example, the PS4 versions could be 60fps and the XBO 30 fps.

Cause in case both version are aimed to be 30 fps, but the XBO has drops. I don't think they will "break" the PS4 version just for the sake of it.

That political thing could be true when there is a real difference that would make the PS4 version clearly superior. But for subtle differences (Like 900p to 1080p), i don't thing they will care. Would be ridiculous to force the PS4 version to be 900p...

Alchemist

Ugh my OP is getting away from me

Everyone who reads this PLEASE REREAD the OP

I have tried to clarify it further

I've read it and this is all but confirmed in my mind. The news about Watch Dogs today and then this? Fuck any developer that downgrades the PS4 version for "political" reasons. PS3 only users had to put up with second-rate ports throughout the entire generation up until recently.

Watchdogs,AC4 & Destiny have timed/exclusive content for the PS4 versions.
COD,Fifa & BF4 have timed/exclusive content for the XB1 versions.
GTAV had a exclusive PS3 bundle.
Diablo 3 commercial only mentions the PS3 version.
Madden commercials only mention the 360 version.
etc,etc,etc......
If 3rd parties cared about parity they would not have signed exclusive content and marketing deals.
The fact that people in this thread think games are gonna be purposely gimped is a joke.

OP should have put "Rumor" in the title.

I don't buy it all there were plenty of crappy ports on both sides this gen.

Is MS going to measure framerate and count pixels for the PS4 version and call up a developer and ask them to nerf the resolution and cap the framerate?

Are they going to look for any visual FX not present in the XBone version and ask them to remove it too? "Whoa those PS4 explosions don't look like that on the XB1 .... reduce those please or we won't approve your game"

That's fine. Devs that decide to gimp their own product for "political" purposes, and make themselves look incompetent just to appease Microsoft simply won't get a sale from me.

Sony will be pumping out plenty of amazing looking exclusives all gen long just like they did with PS3.

Chobel

then we could assume the same for him

this is just a rumour, stupid I you let me say, and probably there will be no way we will know if that happens.

and about current-gen multiplatforms. we have had lot of leaks during all these years and, iirc, there haven't been any rumour about MS moneyhatting third parties to gimp down PS3 versions (and viceversa), so please, stop it.

MS don't have to moneyhat to assure parity, like the article said devs might do it so not to piss MS. So as long as they might do that, don't tell me to stop discussing this.

Hmm, so that is why Penello is asking people to "wait for the games to come out" to find out about the real difference, they're paying to have the superior version crippled.

daniels

So how exactly will that work out? Third partys also compete with first partys and i dont think first partys will care if they offend the competition by having better peforming and looking games in fact i think thats exactly what they want ;)

Also if this is true there will be a gigantic gap between multiplats vs Naughty Dog and SSM games on the console, they'll be humiliated.

Well it would not be good, but not humiliated. I am sure when (if) next gen Halo, Gears and Alan Wake are released they will be fantastic. But I do agree if this is true PS4 will have a big advantage.

MS stands to lose more than Sony by not having games look on par with PS4. Having multiplats as well as exclusives look objectively better on one platform over the other looks horrible. I'm not saying the rumor is true as it is just speculation at this point, however, we've already her from developers outside of this story who were saying the same thing about studios making sure that both versions look on par to avoid any politics.

How does MS have more to lose than Sony did during this generation? It's just something that doesn't make sense to me. PS3 ports played catch up for almost half a decade and yet we're now meant to believe that politics will force developers into platform parity when it didn't in the past?

Nah, seems very unlikely to me.

SentryDown

You should know the source isn't fiable, this website is kinda "attention whore", fake news, rumors, and so on. It's a bit like a tabloïd for video games. Here in France, nobody discuss this "info" cause there is a high probability that it is purely fake.

AzerPhire

What do you suggest? just dismiss this?

Considering it was the author of the article that wrote that they 'might be dumbed down on PS4' and not his sources, yes I would dismiss this.

The development environment for both the XB1 and the PS4 will constantly be updated even after the consoles launch. Driver issues can be expected especially when launching new hardware.

Anyone that thinks a developer will gimp their game because of the technical differences is crazy. The reasonable thought is that when MS or Sony want parity between releases it is more around features then resolution. Using BF4 as an example imagine they could only do 64 players on PS4 but not on XB1. In that case I could see MS wanting parity between the two. But one running 900p/60fps versus 1080/60fps? I don't think they would care about the differences as the average gamer might not be able to tell the difference.

I've read it and this is all but confirmed in my mind. The news about Watch Dogs today and then this? Fuck any developer that downgrades the PS4 version for "political" reasons. PS3 only users had to put up with second-rate ports throughout the entire generation up until recently.

I strongly think it's a possiblity on CERTAIN titles but no way MS could force parity across the board

Too many palms to grease even for them

Watchdogs,AC4 & Destiny have timed/exclusive content for the PS4 versions.
COD,Fifa & BF4 have timed/exclusive content for the XB1 versions.
GTAV had a exclusive PS3 bundle.
Diablo 3 commercial only mentions the PS3 version.
Madden commercials only mention the 360 version.
etc,etc,etc......
If 3rd parties cared about parity they would not have signed exclusive content and marketing deals.
The fact that people in this thread think games are gonna be purposely gimped is a joke.

OP should have put "Rumor" in the title

Why the main take away from the article should be the driver problem which at this point is more than a rumor?

Cboat -> Edge -> Gamingblog.fr

Obviously believe CBOAT over the other two but further confirmation in my mind

I never tried to say forced parity was confirmed and have spent the entire time from my original post of it to clarify what the article says

Your OP states:

This article suggests rumors very similar to the Edge one.

You then reply by saying it's a fact?

Both my statements are in essence truthful though

The article does indeed suggest the same rumor about the forced parity and the resolution decisions BUT I do not consider the driver maturity to be a rumor at this point

Too much confirmation after CBOAT's

IN&OUT

Banned
MS don't have to moneyhat to assure parity, like the article said devs might do it so not to piss MS. So as long as they might do that, don't tell me to stop discussing this.

When you think of it, why would they be afraid from MS? Microsoft needs those devs more than they need MS.

Look at the WiiU, no support, no sales.

ANYWAY:

Cboat was right !!

I heard this rumour that Obama is actually Saddam Hussein.

I also saw this rumour on an internet site with no sources.

Therefore the only conclusion is that Obama is unequivocally proven to be Saddam Hussein.

IMPEACH.

88random

That thing was a trainwreck since it was announced. MS is very, very big company. How could they let so many things go wrong?

is that what Penello meant when he said that MS won't give Sony 50% advantage?

lol most likely

If there is any evidence that a ps4 version has been held back for 'political' reasons, I will just boycott that publisher's games. Simple.

Indeed, My BF4 pre ordered will be cancelled. I will wait for the premium version to be £25. If watchdogs is not 1080p i will cancel. Tbh the game does not look that interesting as to when it was 1st announced. Waiting for Cod Ghost

I don't know what to say.

If I were to add something, Microsoft just needs to start making itself a major player in the software business by investing heavily into the first party because these third party discrepancy are starting to add up. This can only not be true if they show they can bring it in top notch software that they have the talents for.

The multiplat situation changes every week.

We gone from day one difference, to no difference, to purposefully held back in the span of a 3 weeks.

I'm sure it's been said about a dozen times so far in this thread, but if the PS4 gets a significant enough market lead early this gen, there won't be "political" issues... unless MS straight-up moneyhats companies. If that happens and word gets out, exposing said companies? Shitstorms, I'd imagine.

J-Rzez

This "political issues/parity" thing is getting traction it seems. Major media outlets should really be digging for specifics in this. Only reason they wouldn't though, i'd imagine, is that not only would MS get shit on, splash from it would land on 3rd party devs/pubs, in which lots of their cash-monies for ads come from.

The driver issue, if true, is something that could get fixed like other driver issues. Well, hopefully.

Pug

Considering it was the author of the article that wrote that they 'might be dumbed down on PS4' and not his sources, yes I would dismiss this.

The development environment for both the XB1 and the PS4 will constantly be updated even after the consoles launch. Driver issues can be expected especially when launching new hardware.

Anyone that thinks a developer will gimp their game because of the technical differences is crazy. The reasonable thought is that when MS or Sony want parity between releases it is more around features then resolution. Using BF4 as an example imagine they could only do 64 players on PS4 but not on XB1. In that case I could see MS wanting parity between the two. But one running 900p/60fps versus 1080/60fps? I don't think they would care about the differences as the average gamer might not be able to tell the difference.

Feck me a sensible post, thanks Azire, its nice to find in a sea of shite.

so, you think developers would think about gimp a version to release it on pair with the other ones? I'm sorry but I can't see that happening, I think that would be a waste of time and resources for nothing.

I'm telling you stop arguing about the remote thought of MS moneyhatting developers, or even threating them, to gimp better versions on other platforms so it's on par with XBO/360.

tkalamba

You should know the source isn't fiable, this website is kinda "attention whore", fake news, rumors, and so on. It's a bit like a tabloïd for video games. Here in France, nobody discuss this "info" cause there is a high probability that it is purely fake.

Good to know, I figured this may be the case

Mods

People are suggesting adding [Rumor] to the title

Obviously go ahead if you feel it's appropriate

I felt the Xbox One Driver issues are more than rumor now though

I heard this rumour that Obama is actually Saddam Hussein.

I also saw this rumour on an internet site with no sources.

Therefore the only conclusion is that Obama is unequivocally proven to be Saddam Hussein.

IMPEACH.
Ok. I gotta admit. I laughed.

If CBOAT was right that Intel is old. We don't know yet, for sure, if they've actually updated their drivers already, are still in the process, or unable to at all.

Again "Rumors".

WOW, really if the industry finds out that Microsoft did pay devs to downgrade the PS4 version then seriously Microsoft deserves to burn in hell. This is uncompetitive and weak.

Sadly unless a dev breaks their silence, no one will ever be able to prove the ps4 version was gimped due to parity. If we're lucky it will be obvious like this potential 720p30fps for Watch Dogs which screams parity.

Owzers

This "political issues/parity" thing is getting traction it seems. Major media outlets should really be digging for specifics in this. Only reason they wouldn't though, i'd imagine, is that not only would MS get shit on, splash from it would land on 3rd party devs/pubs, in which lots of their cash-monies for ads come from.

The driver issue, if true, is something that could get fixed like other driver issues. Well, hopefully.

Gaming media won't look into political downgrades for political reasons.

Top Bottom