• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games released now are using outdated 5 years old technology

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Title gore warning
When devs start thinking about a game they make it with the current technology they have, so by the time they are done that tech is already 5 years old if it took them that long, yes they can use marketing terms like Ray Tracing 4K VRR and all that but that doesn't change the game much.

that's why a GPU like the 4090 isn't used at it's full potential but instead is just a tool to have more frames and pixels on PS4 games, same for consoles now we are starting to see games made with PS5 and Series X in mind but still limited by old gen in some.

Last edited:

Kacho

Gold Member
flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Stuart360

To be honest if it makes 60fps easier then its all good for me.
I'm on PC anyway where i can tweak stuff to get 60fps anyway but i just feel we are at the point when most games look good anyway. You know its not like the PS1 or PS2 gens when there were some truely awful looking games. Today even some Indie games can look great.

And because of that i feel i have reached the point where 60fps is more important to me as most games look great today anyway.
There are a lot of people on here that would prefer playing at a shitty 20-30fps if it meant 'amazing visuals'. Thats just not me anymore.

EDIT. Damn that was a lot of 'anyways' lol.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Now imagine if FFVIIR Part 3 is still using the same iteration of UE4 in 2026/2027.

There's a trade-off in getting something on the latest tech versus getting something out on time using reliable tools / libraries.

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

But a 2080ti is 5+ years old at this point, the only difference between it and gpus from today is the performance, no new technology 4090 has that card doesnt except reBAR which does squat and dont you say DLSS3 frame gen counts since FSR3.1 exists. While way weaker than a 4090 i see 100% usage on a 4080 in many games.

This is simply not true. Game development is not predictive (planned entirely in advance), its either iterative or incremental and it is that way so that they dont end up using 5 year old technology as you say.

Last edited:
Title gore warning
When devs start thinking about a game they make it with the current technology they have, so by the time they are done that tech is already 5 years old if it took them that long, yes they can use marketing terms like Ray Tracing 4K VRR and all that but that doesn't change the game much.

that's why a GPU like the 4090 isn't used at it's full potential but instead is just a tool to have more frames and pixels on PS4 games, same for consoles now we are starting to see games made with PS5 and Series X in mind but still limited by old gen in some.
Sure, it's old technology, but given the performance issues of so many new games, clearly the devs are still learning to use that tech.

This happens every gen. The best looking and best performing games always come out at the very end the generation's life cycle, when devs truly understand how to use it.

The problem with this gen is game dev is taking so long now that dev teams are having to spend 5 to 7 years on a single game and don't get to apply that knowledge to their next game for this gen, because the next gen is coming first.

Thankfully, most normal people don't care about counting pixels and frame rates when games look and run as well as they do across the board these days.

Last edited:

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Thankfully, most normal people don't care about counting pixels and frame rates when games look and run as well as they do across the board these days.
This changed with DF videos
people are watching games zoomed in at 400% to see wich has more pixels and frames

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
that's why a GPU like the 4090 isn't used at it's full potential

That has always been the issue with hardware, it moves forward at a faster rate than software. Like, there are already quantum computers available for anyone to use (just get an IBM account) but there's literally no software for it. Nothing to see here really.

Hrk69

Gold Member
Look games like Sekiro and Amored Core VI, their art directions are gorgeous and more importantly they are fun as fuck to play......At that point who the fuck cares about if its not "high tech" or not?

ROB114P.jpeg
Sweating James Mcavoy GIF

Maybe I'll give the game another serious shot soon. I hated my first minutes with it unfortunately

zIYXLe5.png

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Title gore warning

Check out Steam hardware survey and you'll understand why it's not being used to its full potential. An example of the innovation that we're now seeing the results of is around data compression and streaming.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Title gore warning

Nah, you are talking about hardware. hardware might be 2018, but tech is mostly software based and can be introduced mid development. Sometimes devs create tech just for one level of the game. IIRC, ND had to completely change their streaming system to make the train level in uncharted 2. most developers in the PS3 gen introduced streaming mid development.

last gen, it was PBR materials. ND worked on engine upgrades to make environments in uncharted 4 and Lost legacy much larger while working on the game. They also worked on adding Motion matching to TLOU2 all the way till the very end. Something no other dev has bothered messing with since.

Watch the 1943 developer interview with Epic. They are literally working on tech that Epic is developing as we speak. it's pretty much concurrent.

Yes, most devs just slap on RT and call it a day but a lot of devs do go above and beyond and invent new tech or utilize existing tech in new ways. Even movies are constantly doing that as they attempt to get away from green screen and CG to full 360 degrees sets.

Tech is the reason why launch games always end up looking far worse than end of gen games. compare TLOU1 and GTA5 to Resistance 1 and GTA4. Compare TLOU2 and Ghost Of Tsushima to Infamous and Killzone Shadow Fall. Devs are constantly working on improving tech. The problem is that the last few years, a lot of the A-tier devs have gone MIA but watch them end the gen strong.

phant0m

I dont really care the "tech" behind games, all I care about is the actual gameplay and its art direction.
Nintendo proves this time and time again.

Switch was underpowered compared to last gen so doubly so now -- but really good gameplay, art direction and technical execution make their games still beautiful and relevant today.

AngelMuffin

Makes you wonder how a game like Elden Ring can sell 30M copies and get rave reviews? No amount of cutting edge tech can make a bad game, good. I’ll take art direction, lore, atmosphere, & gameplay over raw tech specs any day.

yurqqa

This is just the matter of defining of "Current technology".

Is it:
1. Hardware tech that is available
or
2. Technlogy used in recent games.

Hardware is not very useful without games and if you take the second definition, your post makes no sense.

P.S. Gameplay and artistic style are much more important anyway.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Right that's why a 4090 needs to use increasingly heavy DLSS to run these games at high resolutions and settings. Because the *software* is too outdated.

Hrk69

Gold Member
So you didn't even reach tutorial Helicopter boss?
I think I did but I can't remember

I've played a couple of missions, I stopped playing during the mission with the gigantic robot/walker thing

Last edited:

MacReady13

Gameplay and narrative, but it's hard to sell a game with perfect gameplay when visuals aren't up there
No- just gameplay. The narrative for Super Mario World is inconsequential to me. I don't give a fuck about the narrative. Tetris doesn't have the greatest story either but it remains a classic to this very day. Doom... shit story, great gameplay.

As for visuals, you can thank the idiots at places like Insomniac for spending over 300 million on story/voices/graphics for a hollow experience that does NOTHING to advance games today. Gameplay is king. Always has been- always will be.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
No- just gameplay. The narrative for Super Mario World is inconsequential to me. I don't give a fuck about the narrative. Tetris doesn't have the greatest story either but it remains a classic to this very day. Doom... shit story, great gameplay.

As for visuals, you can thank the idiots at places like Insomniac for spending over 300 million on story/voices/graphics for a hollow experience that does NOTHING to advance games today. Gameplay is king. Always has been- always will be.
I care about gameplay only when it's multi-player games, but for solo games even if it's fun you need a good narrative to keep going
But there are exceptions like you said Mario, I've done some GTA games by just running around playing without the story

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Art direction, music, gameplay, easy to understand narrative.

Hi tech is no substitute for "good games" that lure you in and give you a reason to keep playing.

Title gore warning

Season 4 Wow GIF by The Office

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Lol, perfect representation of the AC VI tutorial experience.

I don't know what any of this means
It's the infamous first boss from AC VI, got a lot of fame thanks to it being a gatekeeper to the rest of the game thanks to how hard it is to beat. It's the way the game has to check if you really know how to play.

Judging by your playtime I thought you had stop at that point. But don't worry, you'll understand if you ever decide to go back to it. :goog_relieved:

this very obvious thing, that people actually need time to do stuff really warranted a thread? DId that seriously just now occur to you?

Last edited:
Top Bottom