• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games released now are using outdated 5 years old technology

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Meaning GIF

Crayon

Lol, perfect representation of the AC VI tutorial experience.

It's the infamous first boss from AC VI, got a lot of fame thanks to it being a gatekeeper to the rest of the game thanks to how hard it is to beat. It's the way the game has to check if you really know how to play.

Judging by your playtime I thought you had stop at that point. But don't worry, you'll understand if you ever decide to go back to it. :goog_relieved:

That was one of the biggest wtf moments I've had in a long time.

20 minutes in: Master the game and become one with the mech to beat this first boss
5 minutes later: "Use the left stick to move"

Title gore warning
When devs start thinking about a game they make it with the current technology they have, so by the time they are done that tech is already 5 years old if it took them that long, yes they can use marketing terms like Ray Tracing 4K VRR and all that but that doesn't change the game much.

that's why a GPU like the 4090 isn't used at it's full potential but instead is just a tool to have more frames and pixels on PS4 games, same for consoles now we are starting to see games made with PS5 and Series X in mind but still limited by old gen in some.
This is why I'm not buying the 5090. I don't feel like my 4090 is being utilized at all.

I won't be upgrading my PC for a long time by the look of things.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life
that's why a GPU like the 4090 isn't used at it's full potential but instead is just a tool to have more frames and pixels on PS4 games
Pushing more frames and pixels is using all it's potential. What makes you think that potential is only for bells and whistles?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Pushing more frames and pixels is using all it's potential. What makes you think that potential is only for bells and whistles?
You will see the difference if a game is designed for the 4090 instead of PS5
Not in frames and pixels but in graphics
60 fps with DLSS is enough

Not using the most cutting edge tech doesn't mean super outdated and useless either. Check what happened with the first UE5 games (besides fortnite), using the latest tech carries some risks too.

In the subject of FF7, the producer or I don't recall who even said they were pondering the pros and cons between sticking to the old and reliable engine versus jumping to the new version, which they aren't sure it's gonna be worth the risk.

(but me thinks jumping to ue5 will allow them to sell a complete trilogy remastered pack with the three parts, like they did with part 1 on pc)

simpatico

Gold Member
I booted up Alien Isolation last night and it holds up against anything released today. We're getting to the point where the tech matters much less and the art matters more.

Which game looks better? Shadow of the Erdtree or Immortals of Avenum?

MrRibeye

The engine team on games like GTA 6 that take 10 years to develop probably aimed for PS5 tech while the console itself wasn't even publicly announced yet.

Title gore warning
When devs start thinking about a game they make it with the current technology they have, so by the time they are done that tech is already 5 years old if it took them that long, yes they can use marketing terms like Ray Tracing 4K VRR and all that but that doesn't change the game much.

that's why a GPU like the 4090 isn't used at it's full potential but instead is just a tool to have more frames and pixels on PS4 games, same for consoles now we are starting to see games made with PS5 and Series X in mind but still limited by old gen in some.

My CPU is at about 18% utilisation, but my GPU is at 98% when running the Black Myth Wukong Benchmark, 12900KF and a 4900.

Top Bottom