• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that depictions depression?

peronmls

Probably all the silent hill games. Or SH2. Depression can be shown in many different ways. I see people say hellblade but she has another illness that I thought is more implied.

Guilty_AI

Nier Automata. Honestly nothing else ever came close to it in that term.

Even the context in which the game was made adds to its themes. The main director Yoko Taro had been working in the gaming industry for nearly 20 years yet only produced flop after flop. The studio Platinum Games was basically on its last legs and weren't for this game would have died then and there, and they understood it at the time.

Just look at the track names (and the music themselves):

The color of depression

Blissful Death

Sound of the End

Weight of the World

Last edited:
There's an art that also represent what the REAL depression is;

6Oj3Eiz.jpg

Mr Hyde

Nier Automata. Honestly nothing else ever came close to it in that term.

Even the context in which the game was made adds to its themes. The main director Yoko Taro had been working in the gaming industry for nearly 20 years yet only produced flop after flop. The studio Platinum Games was basically on its last legs and weren't for this game would have died then and there, and they understood it at the time.

Just look at the track names (and the music themselves):

The color of depression

Blissful Death

Sound of the End

Weight of the World

What a great success story Nier Automata was. Brings tears to my eyes. I'm so happy for Taro and that he finally knocked it out of the park and got the recognition and success that he always deserved. His games are unique and they all have touching stories that deals with serious issues. He's a true auteur and proof that you should never give up no matter what.

Last edited:

Shifty1897

As I understand it, Omori but for the love of God do not play it if you are depressed. There's a lot of a certain kind of ideation and acting on it.

One of my best friends has treatment resistant depression and it's so horrible to see him struggle with it. He's about to move an hour and a half away to a bigger city for a few weeks to do electromagnetic shock therapy, I always thought that was pseudo-science but multiple doctor acquaintances have told me that there's been studies that show it's legit and effective. Stay strong OP.

Last edited:

KiteGr

Omori
Hellblade

These come to mind.
Disco Elysium could be a depressing game, but it's mostly because you play a looser in a rotten world, and you'll fail most of your checks. I suppose you meant the game to be about depression.

Omori
Hellblade

These come to mind.
Disco Elysium could be a depressing game, but it's mostly because you play a looser in a rotten world, and you'll fail most of your checks. I suppose you meant the game to be about depression.
Yes. I want to see some games where the protagonist is truly struggling with depression; I'm stable now, but it comes and goes sometimes, and my interest becomes larger on the subject.

Silent Hill 2 is more about Guilty (and James deserves this guilty). Angela is depressed, but she is not the protagonist.
Hellblade is more about Schizophrenia.

I remembered this game, is kinda what I'm looking for:

Cheer up friend, you are in Neogaf and we support you.
Thanks, I appreciate that.

Boralf

Omori
Hellblade

These come to mind.
The protagonist in Disco Elysium imo certainly seems to suffer from depression, but its not a game solely about that.

hinch7

Not played it but Hellblade sure looks depressing AF. Skitzo, constantly talking to ones self and screaming. No thanks.

From the games I played TLOU 2 is really cynical and depressing. Went way too much on that scale. Heavy loss and revenge from nearly every character and not so much any else to the story.

Last edited:

chlorate

It’s a book rather than a game but Infinite Jest by David Foster Wallace vividly depicts depression

I would recommend it heavily over games such as Depression Quest XD

Kurotri

Probably all the silent hill games. Or SH2. Depression can be shown in many different ways. I see people say hellblade but she has another illness that I thought is more implied.
Yeah, Hellblade is about psychosis. "Psychosis is a psychiatric disorder that leads to distorting reality, having hallucinations and delusions, and having a frequent lack of intuition."

tommib

Gold Member
Heavy Rain was so miserable I ended up feeling depressed for about 3 days after that.
Good pick, actually. There are very long sequences with the father just coping and walking aimlessly, absolutely depressed and hopeless.

My picks go to Silent Hill 2 and TLOU2. There’s some really dark shit in those games.

Top Bottom