• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games that depictions depression?

K2D

Banned
Light hearted take - The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth/Afterbirth+

Does not do anything for depression, but a game I like to put on to releave stress. Put on some music that fits my mood as well.

Last edited:

TheStam

I feel like The Souls games are about overcoming depression. Bleak and beautiful worlds with somber music where the lesson the game teaches you is to never give up and power through seemingly impossible obstacles.

IAmRei

I feel dark souls series, and elden ring, told story about depression. Because camera (and my laptop monitor is not big) i can't see npc face mostly, but i believe i can't even find single smile there. And the story itself often led to depression or pesimism toward life. Not only story tho, also lore and world building often led to conclussion that souls series is grim and dark, in place that happiness are non existence.

ungalo

Cyberpunk kind of, it's certainly one of the most existential game you could find

Last edited:
+1 for Disco Elysium. It's the best novel I've ever played.

I'd argue that the situations you fight to overcome in Frostpunk can be metaphors for depression. And would CAUSE depression for people actually experiencing them. It's by the same team that did This War of Mine, which has also been mentioned in this thread.

Moses85

I get depressed when I think of Phil Spencer and see how few exclusive and good games there are on the Xbox

Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Humdinger

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey had a melancholy tone I liked a lot.

p.s. I wouldn't call it "depressing," though. I don't think I've ever played a game I've considered depressing.

Last edited:

peronmls

Yeah, Hellblade is about psychosis. "Psychosis is a psychiatric disorder that leads to distorting reality, having hallucinations and delusions, and having a frequent lack of intuition."
Yeah, I was trying not to spoil that bit of Hellblade about her. I had no idea she was experience that originally. I thought she was cursed or something.

Edellus

I've never had depression, fortunately. And therefore I'm not sure if this next game depicts any form of depression in any meaningful way. But with my very limited knowledge, I think this game brushes against it in a nice way.

It is Superliminal, which is about a dream therapy to help solve some major issues going on in the protagonist's life. It is a puzzle game, a bit reminiscing of Portal. A very weird and very short game that can be completed in one sitting. I very much recommend it.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Omori
Celeste

Both game creators have stated that’s exactly what they are about. Celeste deals with anxiety , depression, being an adult , and more. You may not like it for two reasons though :

1) The game gets ridiculously hard if you plan to complete it. B side of stages can get nuts.

2) The lead character is confirmed trans.

SHA

Project Zero
Black
Battlefield
MW4
The Witcher 3, it's music
The Sims, the first time I died I thought this is it
Life is strange, it's not healthy or even rewarding, just pure depression
Medal of Honor
Killzone
Bioshock Infinite

Top Bottom