• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Games you love that no one else does?

What are some games that you believe are classics, that get virtually no acclaim from anyone else?

One of mine would be Pilotwings 64. Man, I LOVED that game. Flying around those huge and complex environments (hey, it seemed like it at the time) with all those different types of vehicles, shit. The Little States was more than my punk 16-year-old ass could handle. And the human cannonball, skydiving, Birdman....yes Virginia, there IS a Santa Claus. And he played this game while waiting for Christmas. Good times.

You?

AniHawk

The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - The series is beloved, yes. However, the game has somehow been forgotten in the series. Don't understand why, it's a great, great game. Fun gameplay, nice dungeons, and it had an interesting world separate from the rest of the series without being too "out there" (Oracles series springs to mind). Loved the game, my favorite among the 2D games of the LoZ series.

Fire Emblem (VII)- Again, beloved franchise, but not many people talk about it. They prefer Advance Wars (which I've never played, but I should), but that shouldn't take away from the quality in this game. Even though it's supposedly the easiest in the series, it has seriously addicting gameplay, and forces you to think about strategies if you want everyone to stay alive AND level. And even though it's the easiest in the series, it still is quite difficult.

Golden Sun: The Lost Age - What every sequel should be. Managed to surpass Golden Sun in every way. For me, it was an addicting RPG with a great overworld which was fun to explore, and had plenty of extras. I didn't want it to end, and for an RPG (and for me, who usually gets tired of RPGs after 40 [final time was 48] hours), that says a lot.

Shenmue II (DC) - This is another example, like The Lost Age where the sequel surpassed the original. More characters, better story, more fights, more QTE, and some beautiful cinematics are what make this game a gem to me. A lot of people hated Shenmue, and probably hated Shenmue II because they went in wanting to hate it. I still think it's one of the best games of this generation, and I don't think I'll ever change my mind on that.

Socreges

Banned
I hate these threads. People always name games that, in fact, DO get lots of love.

Fire Emblem?? Are you kidding me??

Kuroyume

Banned
Fighter's Destiny for the N64 and the first Castlevania game for the N64. The first n64 castlevania game was a blast...

Grubdog

Banned
Auto Destruct (PSX)
1080 Avalanche (GCN)
Starfox Adventures (GCN)

Anyone who likes any of those games is my friend.

RiZ III

Gunmetal - A ton of fun specially with the custom soundtrack feature. Too bad more developers didnt take advantage of this great feature.'

Drakan 2- One of my favorite games on Ps2.

AniHawk

Socreges said:
I hate these threads. People always name games that, in fact, DO get lots of love.

Fire Emblem?? Are you kidding me??

Sold under 300,000, and didn't really appeal to as many gamers as AW did. GAFers loved it, yeah, but outside of that, I think no one really likes it based on the premise alone. It's not like Nintendo forgot to advertise the game.

Docpan said:
What the hell are you talking about?

It's quite popular. Critically acclaimed!

Not when people start babbling about LoZ, ALttP, or the Oracle games. LA always seems to be overshadowed somehow.

And hell, if Pilotwings 64 can be listed BY THE TOPIC CREATOR, I can list mine.

Kirby's Air Ride. It was one of my favorite games of 2003. I had an absolute blast in the 4-player versions of all 3 modes (race, top-down, city trial) and spent countless hours completing near-impossible challenges to unlock tons of cool items and songs. To this day I don't understand how everyone was able to label it as "easy." Despite the simple control scheme, many of the challenges (which are the meat of the game and are basically the sole reason for playing, since the main race mode can be finished in something like half an hour) were F-Zero GX-hard, if not even harder. I loved it!

Does that count as a game 'no one else' loves? It was a pretty decent seller, but is pretty much universally slammed by people on the GAF and in the press.

Doshin the Giant (GCN version)
1080: Avalanche (fucking amazing game)
Kirby Air Ride (City Trial Mode)
Mario Golf: TT (best multi game this gen)
Pokemon Colosseum (great aesthetic and battles)
Custom Robo (amazing battles and tons of robo parts)
Luigi's Mansion (My favorite of all the GCN launch games, it was fresh and humorous, and more importantly fun as hell!)

Fifty

I loved Fighter's Destiny! :D That makes two of us.

I didn't "love" it, but I really enjoyed Vexx. The music was what made it for me. One of the best scores in an American game.

Belfast said:
Olimario liked it.....I think.

Please don't lump me in with that boy. :(

I don't know about best, but it does rock very hard. I also wouldn't say nobody loves it, but it definitely didn't get as much praise as it deserved from most people.

pilonv1

evilromero said:
1080: Avalanche (fucking amazing game)
Pokemon Colosseum (great aesthetic and battles)
Luigi's Mansion (My favorite of all the GCN launch games, it was fresh and humorous, and more importantly fun as hell!)

Sorry I've come into the wrong topic, this must be "Games that every Nintendo fanboy loves and must tell everyone else about".

Mairu

bobbyconover said:
Kirby's Air Ride. It was one of my favorite games of 2003. I had an absolute blast in the 4-player versions of all 3 modes (race, top-down, city trial) and spent countless hours completing near-impossible challenges to unlock tons of cool items and songs. To this day I don't understand how everyone was able to label it as "easy." Despite the simple control scheme, many of the challenges (which are the meat of the game and are basically the sole reason for playing, since the main race mode can be finished in something like half an hour) were F-Zero GX-hard, if not even harder. I loved it!

Does that count as a game 'no one else' loves? It was a pretty decent seller, but is pretty much universally slammed by people on the GAF and in the press.
Thumbs way up to this. It may not be the most complex game ever but it's great fun and all the unlockables give it nearly endless replay value. It's a great multiplayer/party game.

Luigi's Mansion and Primal
Well ok, many people like Luigi's Mansion, but Primal gets way too much hate. Also I quite like Rebel Strike, although obviously it's not nearly as good as Rogue Leader.

hobbitx

Battle of Olympus (NES) - This game was just so much fun, even though I loved Zelda II, I can honestly say this game used that same style in a much more fun and addictive way. I played this game non-stop on Nesterdc. What I loved about this game aside from the great gameplay, was just how much it captured the whole feel of Greek mythology, it was like an old greek myth book or pbs segment come to life. It sucks this game never got a real sequel, a Super Nes sequel could have kicked all kinds of ass, I'd kill for an update of this game.

Bog

Junior Ace
Rygar (PS2)- Yeah, it felt like DMC, but that's not a bad thing. A little short, but the music was amazing.

Shenmue 1 and 2
Mortal Kombat 1
Luigi Mansion

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Well,

I did like Primal a lot, and that game recieves a LOT of hate. I also enjoyed Tomb Raider AoD as well. I actually thought it was the best game TR game yet released...though it felt a bit unfinished. Despite the long dev time, another 6 months and a few changes could have made this a real winner.

dark10x

Suerte said:
Forsaken, Transworld Snowboarding, can't think of any others :\

Ha ha, I loved Forsaken back in the day (PC version of course). Fun single player mode and some suprisingly great multiplay. It was quite beautiful as well!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
bobbyconover said:

You are not alone, although i never actually bought the game.

I have pop n music 2, 8

My biggest rarity is the aladdin cart deck for the nes with its complete library.

DCX

DCX
- Expendable ( DC)
- Tao Feng ( XBOX )
- Disruptor ( PS1)
- Primal Rage (Arcade )
- Sonic Shuffle ( DC )

DCX

pilonv1 said:
Sorry I've come into the wrong topic, this must be "Games that every Nintendo fanboy loves and must tell everyone else about".

In that case let me expand:
Mario Party 5 (people won't even give this series a look anymore. Tuff shit for them), Doshin the Giant, Doubutsu Bancho, Billy Hatcher, Sonic Adv 2, Sonic Heroes, Sega Soccer Slam (twas a great drunk game), Wario World (one of the best soundtracks, most enjoyable game in a long time) *rubbing the salt into the cancerous wound because it makes me smile*

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
One of mine would be Pilotwings 64. Man, I LOVED that game.
I always wanted it but couldn't find it. Now I could get it but don't know if it'd be worth it, especially with the many other budget games I could get.

Drakan 2- One of my favorite games on Ps2.
They made a sequel?

Eternal Darkness (love it)
What the crap? I have never heard anything negative about this game.

Ha ha, I loved Forsaken back in the day (PC version of course). Fun single player mode and some suprisingly great multiplay. It was quite beautiful as well!
Yeah! I don't know why people preferred Descent, I thought Forsaken was way better and a great game.

dark10x

evilromero said:
In that case let me expand:
Mario Party 5 (people won't even give this series a look anymore. Tuff shit for them), Doshin the Giant, Doubutsu Bancho, Billy Hatcher, Sonic Adv 2, Sonic Heroes, Sega Soccer Slam (twas a great drunk game), Wario World (one of the best soundtracks, most enjoyable game in a long time) *rubbing the salt into the cancerous wound because it makes me smile*

Sega != Nintendo

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Seeing games like Pilotwings 64 (which I hated personally!), Fire Emblem, and Zelda Link's Awakening, among some other titles, is just wrong.

Anyway, my number one pick:

SNK Vs. Capcom: SvC Chaos (Neo-Geo/PS2)- Received as much hype as a game for the old Neo-Geo hardware could have ever hoped to have achieved among the current generation of system. Although it was just as disappointing to see SNK recycling KOF sprites just like Capcom recycled its own for CvS, the "new" characters were all drawn in the KOF style; the game looked a lot less "cut and paste" compared to most of Capcom's recent titles. Add in some impressive special move effects and some surprisingly well-animated characters, and the game looked set to be a hit for SNK Playmore. Unfortunately, the game has some nasty infinites and hit detection issues, making it less than well-received by the majority of the fighting game community. (Online and in major tourneys, anyway...I've been told plenty of people crowd around the machine at the mall downtown, and it can't just be one arcade that's got this reaction) Despite its flaws, I've still very much enjoyed playing this title, and friends agree that it's a fun "casual" fighting game. I see this title as SNK's version of Marvel Vs. Capcom 2, which is an incredibly "uber-broken" fighting game that Capcom players still seem to love for whatever reason, but hate on Chaos. This title still has a small chance to redeem itself with the upcoming XBox Live-enabled release, however, since it's possible that SNK could be removing more of the flaws. The two nasty infinites were removed from the PS2 port, for example.

robot

There's probably a few dozen games I can list, but the first few that come to mind are:

Blinx (xbox)
Snowboard Kids 1 & 2 (n64)
Twinbee Deluxe (ps1)

And more recently:
1080 Avalanche (gc)

Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter: A lot of people love it but a lot of others really, REALLY hate on it. Cause it doesn't have a fishing minigame, or something. The fact that anyone could hate this game is incomprehensible - when I play, it seems blindingly obvious that it's the best RPG of this generation by a very comfortable margin.

Wipeout 3: is way better than Wipeout XL. THERE I SAID IT.

Gun Valkyrie, Jet Set Radio Future: I love Smilebit and I love their Xbox games. GV is hard but fair, and the controls, once you master them, are AWESOME. JSRF, while different from the original, manages to be just as cool in its own unique way.

Myst: Okay, so it single-handedly ruined the adventure game market on the PC. That's not very cool. But the original game itself IS PRETTY GOOD. It's atmospheric and stylish, not just pre-rendered, the sound is as integral to the experience as the graphics (no small feat in 93), and the puzzles, though somewhat illogical, are at least never uncued.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Who was hating on Twinbee Deluxe?

I never hear as much hate on JSRF...just that it wasn't as good as the original (which I definitely agree with), and that like the original, just didn't catch on for whatever reason, even when packed in free with the Xbox.

Gunvalkyrie was kind of the same way to me; it's like no one even bothered with it, even with teh b00bi3s on the cover, and those who did were instantly turned off to the controls without attempting to learn them.

cvxfreak

P.N. 03 - It seems to be gaining fans every day. I like the game.

Sonic Adventure DX - seems to get a lot of technical scrutiny

I am quite a fan of many of the games that have been mentioned: Rygar, Fire Emblem, Shenmue II, Dragon Quarter, Golden Sun the Lost Age, and The Battle of Olympus. There is, however, one game that I love dearly that no one ever seems to remember, and that is Sky Odyssey.

Sky Odyssey was the first game I bought for my PS2 that I actually played much of. While the graphics were just barely better than PSone quality, but the game offered such an incredible strong sense of dangerous adventure. While playing it, I always hoped for a sequel that would let you hop out of the plane in all the sequences where you land to pick up artifacts and offer an Indiana Jones-esque Hero to go adventuring out of the plane.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
Gunvalkyrie...not that hard to get the controls and the steam-punk tech rules.

Phantom Crash...the forgotten fighting robot game! Excellent.

Gotcha Force...about 100x as fun as Custom Robo. Will probably be outsold by it even though that POS got ravaged by reviews as well.

NFS: Hot Pursuit 2 (on PS2)...ok, it reviewed great and maybe everyone just got bored with it. But I personally think it's one of the greatest arcade racers of this gen and more compelling than the love-fest that is Underground. No one clamors for an online sequel and it rarely gets mentioned in the same breath as Burnout, Underground, etc.

Culdcept-a few sources praised it, but it crushes any yu-gi-oh iteration. One of the best board/card game entries on a console.

Mad Maestro- A great music entry that I don't believe anyone really played. The classical music probably made people run away. Extremely charming and fun.

Sea Trader-A forgotten economic/pirate sim on the GBA. Hours of repetitive addiction.

G1 Jockey 3... Not a big horse racing fan (though I do like the occasional punt), but for some reason it piqued my interest whilst at the video shop last year so I borrowed it, not really expecting much from it. Turned out to be one the most addictive games I've played in a long while that I bought the game soon after.

Try it people!

Top Bottom