• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gamespot DS/MP:H Impressions

lexi

Banned
Link

There are two LEDs to the bottom right of the screen. The left LED lights up when the AC adapter is plugged into a power outlet, and it appears that the right LED functions as a power indicator light most of the time, but it becomes a network-activity monitor during wireless applications.

Multiplayer gameplay over the DS wireless connection was smooth. One DS system hosted the game and the other was able to find and join the game without a problem. The connection was lag-free and we didn't encounter any disconnection problems.

There are touch-screen icons to toggle the backlight, to turn on the alarm clock, and to adjust system settings.

Some pretty nice impressions, MP:H Demo sounds great. Also I believe that backlight toggle information is news.

miyuru

Trading messages was quick and easy once we got our two DS systems into the same chat room. Range varies depending on the number of obstacles between the units. We were able to send and receive messages from roughly 200 feet apart when units maintained line of sight, but range dropped down to about 30 feet once walls got in the way.

I was wondering about this. Too bad the range isn't that great for Pictochat :( At least wireless gaming is a synch!

IGN says they got over 100 feet even through cubciles and walls, so I dunno. Maybe GameSpot has some thick ass walls, lol.

One of the great things about the DS I think that really hasn't been touched on is the enhanced ability to play multiplayer games using only one game card. For me that's a pretty huge deal.

I know a couple of friends with a GBA SP, but having to have the same game and then also having to have a link cable handy is just too much of a pain in the ass.

Now when I have my DS and they have theirs, it's on for multiplayer right away.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
The GBA had the same ability to play multiplayer games (linked up) with only one cart.

Most of us know how far that went.

Though, the GBA did have bandwidth and memory limitations that probably won't be an issue with the DS. So, we can hope!

lexi

Banned
IGN also claimed that at 100 feet, there was still a 'strong, two bar connection'.

It was a bit of a surprise to read the backlight could be toggled on and off, though I don't think there's much of a point -- Except a 20 hour chage for GBA games.

Thing is, the DS screens are incredibly dark with the light turned off. I don't think they have the reflective-enhancing technology of the GBC/GBA screens. So it's pretty useless.

aoi tsuki

Mejilan said:
The GBA had the same ability to play multiplayer games (linked up) with only one cart.

Most of us know how far that went.

Though, the GBA did have bandwidth and memory limitations that probably won't be an issue with the DS. So, we can hope!
The main problem with the GBA was that you needed a link cable. Not only was this a separate purchase, but unless you knew you'd be playing against friends, you weren't walking around with a link cable at all times. Now, with the WiFi capabilities of the DS along with the notification feature and an even smaller physical game size, it'll be easy to find someone to play against. i'm really excited about the possibility of finding opponents at completely random moments.

GDGF

Soothsayer
aoi tsuki said:
The main problem with the GBA was that you needed a link cable. Not only was this a separate purchase, but unless you knew you'd be playing against friends, you weren't walking around with a link cable at all times. Now, with the WiFi capabilities of the DS along with the notification feature and an even smaller physical game size, it'll be easy to find someone to play against. i'm really excited about the possibility of finding opponents at completely random moments.

I can't wait until I get into my first match on campus or at the mall :) Badassness.

GDGF

Soothsayer
We quickly abandoned the stylus in favor of the thumb-pad attachment on the wrist strap, which allows you to manipulate the screen directly with your thumb. Aside from having to double-tap the screen to jump, the thumb pad basically turned the touch screen into a virtual analog joystick.

That's the second set of impressions i've read that stated that. Looks like the thumbstrap is a hit. Looks like it works well.

Soul4ger

The one thing I was kinda wondering about, the demo units we got in at work don't detect the other unit, like it was said they would. Anyone care to elaborate on how that works?

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Range depends alot on the type of walls. WiFi doesn't like brick.

Top Bottom